Coopers Community

Cricket

Uhtred Of Beddanburg

1 minute ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Yes to get 2 double centuries in an innings it was great. I guess my expectations were big to get an early wicket. I still enjoy the game all the way through 

2 double centuries and a 99, not a bad day at the office.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Not as much of a road as Rawalpindi is, England 500 on the first day with four of them making tons. 

I hope the Windies keep going, I'd rather see a bit of a competitive match for the rest of it than just a walk over. 

i'm with you otto   , sick of the game being walk over  and played like 20/20    

seeing 2 aussies get doubles   could have deflated the west indies team but ateast they are  trying to fight on

hopefully we start to see some cracks open up whats a fairly green wicket   making it a batters paradise 

love to see it go 5 days  and down to the wire   

• Like 4

2 hours ago, terminal2k said:

I was confused why this thread was here as the lady big bash is over (still trying to forget about that final) and the mens hasn't started yet. I sometimes forget we even have a national team because I hate them so much.

Steady up.. Cricket's not for everyone and Test Cricket is only for a few.. 🙄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Steady up.. Cricket's not for everyone and Test Cricket is only for a few.. 🙄

I have never played or been involved in it so it's all Double Dutch to me, I don't understand the rules/scoring, so I don't watch it.

I must admit on the big screen their telecasts are pretty good from the bit's I have seen.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ozdevil said:

i'm with you otto   , sick of the game being walk over  and played like 20/20    

seeing 2 aussies get doubles   could have deflated the west indies team but ateast they are  trying to fight on

hopefully we start to see some cracks open up whats a fairly green wicket   making it a batters paradise 

love to see it go 5 days  and down to the wire   

I know what you mean about being more close and not a flogging. At the same time I would rather get a straight out win than it drag on for a draw. 

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have never played or been involved in it so it's all Double Dutch to me, I don't understand the rules/scoring, so I don't watch it.

I must admit on the big screen their telecasts are pretty good from the bit's I have seen.

I feel the same way about AFL, just don’t get that game, never have. 
‘No offence to the AFL faithful but it just doesn’t yank my chain. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

I know what you mean about being more close and not a flogging. At the same time I would rather get a straight out win than it drag on for a draw. 

you obviously dont understand test cricket 

when test cricket  evolved  and you will find it  boring as bat shite.  it would go until both team played 2 innings  and a result    , so a test match may last 2 weeks once apon a time

they then shortened the game to 8 days

now 5 days   

a test match is based on endurance  ,  unfortunately the game has involved as a slog fest like its shortend game 20/20.

so whats a straight out win though 

test match is like a game of chess   knowing when to declare  and when to attack and defend

i get test match games are not for everyone   , but it has its place  

take the true form of anything aay you will lose the entire  sport all together

• Like 1

@ozdevil yes I do understand test cricket all I did was state that I would not like to see a draw.  How would saying this make you think that I did not understand it? I also quite like a game of chess and get you're reference to it. My comment still stands I would not like to see a draw, just my opinion.  Although I did not know the history of it being until 2 innings were played regardless of the time so thanks for that information at least. 

A straight out win well yes maybe that is not a traditional way to talk about a game of cricket. I mean bowl them out for a second time before they make the runs and be done with it and take the win.  How has it turned into a slog fest like 20/20? My understanding is the higher scoring is due to drop in wickets because of the shortened time between footy and cricket season. Yes that's probably because of the Big Bash trying to squeeze more in. 

I quite enjoy all forms of the game including a test. If anything I'm annoyed at the 20/20 pushing the 50 over one day games out. No where near as many of those as there used to be.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, terminal2k said:

I was confused why this thread was here as the lady big bash is over (still trying to forget about that final) and the mens hasn't started yet. I sometimes forget we even have a national team because I hate them so much.

In my experience people that do not understand the nuances of Test cricket are the one that criticize it. Test cricket has many twists and turns, it is a game of skill, and probably more of tactics and psychology. Test cricket can be more of a mental game than a game of outright slogging, which sometimes the shorter form becomes.

On psychology in Test cricket the master of that was Shane Warne, most people think that he was a prodigious spinner of the ball and at times he was, but most of his dismissals in Test cricket were a combination of psychology (he could reduce a batsmen to nothing by just talking to him) and great bowling and persistence. A true master of the long game!

I am not a fan of the short game, it has its merits as it is fast and furious and gives a result in a day, but for me Test cricket is a far finer form of skills. It has nuances and mind games that make it quite enthralling to me.

• Like 3

Yes there used to be timeless tests about a hundred years ago. There's been other variations, they used to be six days with a rest day then changed at some point to the current five days.

I'm not a fan of T20 at all. It's so far removed from what cricket is to me, that I just can't get into it. That stupid hundred in the UK is even worse. I grew up with test cricket and the old triangular one day series, and those forms are still my favourites, with tests number one. I haven't actually watched any cricket this summer until now. Couldn't care less about the big bash. 

I think the drop in wickets came about more because of the AFL whinging about players getting injuries on the wicket blocks, but at least the Gabba and SCG haven't bowed to them yet. In saying that the drop ins are a lot better than they used to be. The higher scoring isn't so much a drop in thing, it's just that they had been preparing roads in recent years, and the ridiculous bats they use now where the sweet spot is practically the entire face have definitely changed things. It's nice to see them leaving a bit more grass on the wickets more recently, it's a much better game to watch when there's a contest between bat and ball rather than bat completely dominating. I was a bit sceptical of the day/night tests at first but after seeing the first couple of them I really enjoyed the battle, especially once it got into twilight and early evening and the ball started hooping around. 

I reckon the series against the cricket Boks will be a bit more competitive so I'm looking forward to that one, I'll be on holidays for the last two tests, and probably doing a lot of golf practice or playing, but I can watch it back on Kayo at least 👍

• Like 3

@Otto Von Blotto I also really miss the 50 over tri series we used to  get heaps more games out of it in a year. Then they had all the Australia vs Australia A as well.

Even practice games vs smaller clubs that were all televised.  They still have some of these games now but you would not know they had.

I have foxtel and kayo because I love sport but it's sad in the day of streaming services. Buy a subscription or don't get to see particular games.

Oh almost forgot, another one bites the dust!

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Otto Von Blotto I also really miss the 50 over tri series we used to  get heaps more games out of it in a year. Then they had all the Australia vs Australia A as well.

Even practice games vs smaller clubs that were all televised.  They still have some of these games now but you would not know they had.

I have foxtel and kayo because I love sport but it's sad in the day of streaming services. Buy a subscription or don't get to see particular games.

Oh almost forgot, another one bites the dust!

I thought I read a headline a week or so ago saying the  one dayers may be back on free to air soon.