Coopers Community

REASONS FOR BREWING YOUR OWN BEER

5 REASONS TO BREW YOUR OWN BEER. 🍻

I can think of many reasons to brew your own beer & I have listed a few of my thoughts.

1. You can create your own unique/favourite flavour, it may well taste different to shop bought brands but you have the option of playing around with different ideas.

2. It is cheaper than buying beer. Beer prices can range from super cheap to premium brands that are pretty expensive. If you brew your own you can get the same premium quality without the hefty price tag as the ingredients don't cost that much.

3. When you brew your own beer there will be no preservatives & it will last for a long time. You will know exactly what ingredients you are using & never have to worry about any chemical preservatives in your beer.

4. Brew your own beer to carry on a timeless tradition & stay connected to friends & family.

5. It's fun to brew your own beer, it is an awesome hoppy & you get to see how everything works. You can produce small batches & play around with different recipes & different ingredients. The possibilities are endless.

Any one think of more reasons ...

Cheers 🍻

• Like 6

For Me.. I started to save $$'s and I have!

Since then I have spent very little on equipment and have found a really good fun hobby.

I enjoy Drinking the special brews that I can now make and sharing them with a few friends.

And did I mention saving $$'s

• Like 3

I agree with all of the reasons posted so far.  

I specially like to brew beers that cost > $100 for a slab, for a fraction of the cost.  Oh, and for the same cost, I usually brew 2 slabs worth.

I love to get good reviews from folks who drink my beers.  A couple of my relo's and my neighbour are even happy to pay for them.

• Like 5

I got sick of paying so much for decent beers especially Belgian Beers which are higher ABV. We really do get screwed here with the alcohol excise. A case of Duvel is $160 in dan Murphy's and I can literally make the same thing for $20 except its for 2.5 cases. So $400 I would pay for something that I can make for $20. Highway robbery!!!

Added to that the variety you can make, the process, the first taste of that new batch. Only downside is increased consumption.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I enjoy the process and experimenting with different hops, malts, fruit, yeasts and anything else that you can tip in within reason! 
If I didn’t make beer I would have thought Belgian beers and Hefeweizens tasted like crap as the ones I have tried were probably stale but mine are fresh and taste how they are meant to taste! (I think) Plus I don’t like paying a million dollars for four beers. I really enjoy fresh beer. The beer I drank tonight is just three days old in the keg and tastes fresh!

I enjoy sharing the beer with friends and my mate is actually getting into brewing as a result of drinking my beers!

I also save a lot of money but spend more🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

I got sick of paying so much for decent beers especially Belgian Beers which are higher ABV. We really do get screwed here with the alcohol excise. A case of Duvel is $160 in dan Murphy's and I can literally make the same thing for $20 except its for 2.5 cases. So $400 I would pay for something that I can make for $20. Highway robbery!!!

Added to that the variety you can make, the process, the first taste of that new batch. Only downside is increased consumption.

You’ve taken the words out of my mouth! I couldn’t justify the price of commercial beer! It’s breaks my heart and wallet every time I go to a bar and spend over ten dollars for a pint and mine tastes just as good or better! (IMO) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

I enjoy the process and experimenting with different hops, malts, fruit, yeasts and anything else that you can tip in within reason! 
If I didn’t make beer I would have thought Belgian beers and Hefeweizens tasted like crap as the ones I have tried were probably stale but mine are fresh and taste how they are meant to taste! (I think) Plus I don’t like paying a million dollars for four beers. I really enjoy fresh beer. The beer I drank tonight is just three days old in the keg and tastes fresh!

I enjoy sharing the beer with friends and my mate is actually getting into brewing as a result of drinking my beers!

I also save a lot of money but spend more🤣

Good points mate, that is how it should be.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DavidM said:

For Me.. I started to save $$'s and I have!

Since then I have spent very little on equipment and have found a really good fun hobby.

I enjoy Drinking the special brews that I can now make and sharing them with a few friends.

And did I mention saving $$'s

Yeah I guess we all started at saving money at one stage however there a a few things that quell that fairly quickly, like all of the LHBS, Online Brewing Supplies even Supermarkets all proudly showing us their wares for us to spend our 💸 on. One doesn't have to buy all of the fancy, expensive equipment to make a good beer, a simple Home Brew Kit will do that !!

But of course as we are inquisitive & sometimes in awe of another's beers the so 'Rabbit Hole" becomes deeper 🕳️ 

I, like a lot of other members are way past saving money but yes the beers are cheaper. Once you start adding that extra fermenter or other fancy gadgets you become hooked & end up with a mini brewery but who cares we enjoy it & as you say creating your own style & sharing with family & friends is worth all the money in the world.

• Like 3

On 9/5/2022 at 10:26 PM, JoeB7 said:

I was recently told (last 48hrs) of schooners costing $12 in Sydney.

Any corroboration of this? ( Outside of it being a gambling den or knocking shop)

The new football stadium they opened in Sydney last week are charging $13.50 for a schooner of

Stone & Wood in a

Plastic cup.

• Sad 2

On 9/5/2022 at 10:26 PM, JoeB7 said:

I was recently told (last 48hrs) of schooners costing $12 in Sydney.

Any corroboration of this? ( Outside of it being a gambling den or knocking shop)

Absolutely true, that's why I don't eat or drink out. Don't wanna waste my hard earned dollars. By the way, I work in Hospitality and know how little things cost

23 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Absolutely true, that's why I don't eat or drink out. Don't wanna waste my hard earned dollars. By the way, I work in Hospitality and know how little things cost

Yeah I agree, when you consider how much it actually cost us to produce a Pint of Beer & of course the Hotels/Breweries can do it for less & charge us premium prices.

Same as food, I have a background in cooking & as you know it teaches you in budgets/pricing etc,

I am damned if I am going out & pay $10-$15 for a beer, $25-$45 for a meal & $8-$12 for a glass of wine, it's OK now & again but I would rather stay at home with friends drink homebrew & cook whatever I want when I want.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2

What I love about brewing is in general the journey from humble grains to something awesome to drink. But also how a little change in the process can have a big impact on the end product. The sheer endless possibilities. I've done well over 100 AG batches by now but haven't even scratched the surface of what is possible. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

What I love about brewing is in general the journey from humble grains to something awesome to drink. But also how a little change in the process can have a big impact on the end product. The sheer endless possibilities. I've done well over 100 AG batches by now but haven't even scratched the surface of what is possible. 

That's impressive AK, I know what you mean there are a lot of different brews available apart from modifying them to suit personal taste.

It's not a reason I started brewing but a benefit I've found since starting - no hangover headaches. I still occasionally get a next day upset tummy if I over do it but my head is always crystal clear. Probably from not consuming artificial additives that are possibly in commercial beer.

Edited by Malter White
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Malter White said:

It's not a reason I started brewing but a benefit I've found since starting - no hangover headaches. I still occasionally get a next day upset tummy if I overdo it, but my head is always crystal clear. Probably from not consuming artificial additives that are possibly in commercial beer.

I totally agree Muzz, Malter clearly saving money is not the case with me however I do also notice a difference with commercial beers & headaches as I do lunch with a bunch of blokes regularly & apart from being anti Home Brew, they just love swilling the overpriced crap that comes out of the pub taps. It is so obvious that the preservatives contribute to the headaches.

Tomorrow is lunch day so hopefully we will have Coopers on Tap.

• Like 1