Coopers Community

WHAT'S YOUR BREWERY WORTH

Classic Brewing Co

Have you ever sat back or in my case walked through several rooms & looked at all of the stuff you have amassed for brewing over the years ?

It all start's of with a box, probably Coopers full of nice new shiny stuff to make beer with. From that moment on you are continually adding equipment in order to improve your beer making skills, you buy multiple fermenters & extra bits & pieces to fit on them, hoses, siphons, taps, grommets, stick on thermometers, extra jugs, spoons, measures, hydrometers etc.

We also stock up on cans of extracts, malts, yeasts, hops, glassware & extra stuff to create a home bar/man cave.

Then the next step, temperature controllers, Heat Belts even extra fridges !! It doesn't stop there some dive in to kegging ranging from primitive to advanced fridge/freezer conversions, not to mention Kegerators & the like.

Then there is AG brewing from simpler stove top methods to BIAB & of course Grainfather/BrewZilla units to take it to the next level.

It keeps going, now you need neoprene jackets & vessels for heating water, sparging, hop spiders brewing gloves, mash spoons, possibly no chill cubes etc.

And of course there are bulk bags of grain, grain mill & countless other items to numerous to mention.

I have missed a lot of things but my point is apart from being one of the most rewarding experiences/hobbies I have encountered it is also one of the most expensive. But we don't care as the quest for making great beers is what it is all about.

I have enjoyed the whole journey as I am sure have most of you. Finally being able to communicate with fellow brewers on this great forum is also rewarding.

Cheers & Happy Brewing 🤑 💸 💰

Phil

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 3

Have to agree, some hobbies can get out of Hand.

For Me as an example, I will always be a K&K brewer who Bottles.

My first fermenter was a Present from my son, since I've picked up a few bits to improve my brew's.

Heat pad, Inkbird, second brew fridge and a bunch of gear from a retiring brewer, Total $185

I was also given 3Fv's, bring my total to 5.

I built a cupboard in a storage room to keep the beer at a nice even temperature, all out of scrap and a trolley to move fermenter's about also out of scrap.

I buy Coopers Tin's from Woolies or Big W, bulk order Light Dry Malt and whatever Hops are on special.

I'm just a pensioner, on the bones of his A..s, keeping it Simple. 🙂🍻

Edited by DavidM
Remove Word
  • Like 4

I get reminded by SWMBO from time to time about how large or widespread my brewery has become.  It is scattered across several rooms in the house, a number of cupboards and the garage.

I am planning to build a brewing shed at some time.  The aim is to house all the equipment in a common place.  My concern is that the 3 metre x 4 metre shed I have planned will not be big enough.

What's it worth?  To me heaps.  To SWMBO, once I fall off the perch, everything is getting put out in hard rubbish.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I get reminded by SWMBO from time to time about how large or widespread my brewery has become.  It is scattered across several rooms in the house, a number of cupboards and the garage.

I am planning to build a brewing shed at some time.  The aim is to house all the equipment in a common place.  My concern is that the 3 metre x 4 metre shed I have planned will not be big enough.

What's it worth?  To me heaps.  To SWMBO, once I fall off the perch, everything is getting put out in hard rubbish.

Hi Shamus,

I feel for you married guys as I sorta know where you come from as my ex girlfriend who is now a very good friend was here on Easter Friday for lunch & noticed all of the new stuff (BrewZilla etc) & had to comment & say why would you want to by more gear ? Sometimes they must think they are still in charge 😬 but she knows it was casting stones on rocky ground.

Little does she know I have all but ordered the Flow Control NUKATAP Mini Keg Tapping System, SS 10l Mini Keg/Parka & Bulbs from KL.

I decided I will start with this to get a feel for kegging, I would have ordered the Soda Stream unit but they were honest with me & said I may have issues with re-filling.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, DavidM said:

Have to agree, some hobbies can get out of Hand.

For Me as an example, I will always be a K&K brewer who Bottles.

My first fermenter was a Present from my son, since I've picked up a few bits to improve my brew's.

Heat pad, Inkbird, second brew fridge and a bunch of gear from a retiring brewer, Total $185

I was also given 3Fv's, bring my total to 5.

I built a cupboard in a storage room to keep the beer at a nice even temperature, all out of scrap and a trolley to move fermenter's about also out of scrap.

I buy Coopers Tin's from Woolies or Big W, bulk order Light Dry Malt and whatever Hops are on special.

I'm just a pensioner, on the bones of his A..s, keeping it Simple. 🙂🍻

I reckon down the track you will be wanting something else all bright & shiny in your brew room. It just develops as you get further into it. 🤑

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I reckon down the track you will be wanting something else all bright & shiny in your brew room. It just develops as you get further into it. 🤑

I have to agree, I like shiny and New

but I share space with a very good wife and I can't afford the extra's I'd like

so..  Keep it Simple

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hi Shamus,

I feel for you married guys as I sorta know where you come from as my ex girlfriend who is now a very good friend was here on Easter Friday for lunch & noticed all of the new stuff (BrewZilla etc) & had to comment & say why would you want to by more gear ? Sometimes they must think they are still in charge 😬 but she knows it was casting stones on rocky ground.

Little does she know I have all but ordered the Flow Control NUKATAP Mini Keg Tapping System, SS 10l Mini Keg/Parka & Bulbs from KL.

I decided I will start with this to get a feel for kegging, I would have ordered the Soda Stream unit but they were honest with me & said I may have issues with re-filling.

Cheers.

Update on the above, I have canned the bulb idea & ordered a 2.6kg CO2 Gas Cylinder with the appropriate fittings, Nukatap etc for time being it will sit in my old brew fridge & I will convert one of my other smaller fridges to a fermenting chamber. I was tempted to go the 19l Corny Keg but I am thinking I would be moving in to territories I am not familiar with re: gassing/pressure etc. I am told the 10l keg can be filled without carbonating it & stored & drank in a short time without consequence.  I don't think that will be a problem 🤣

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Update on the above, I have canned the bulb idea & ordered a 2.6kg CO2 Gas Cylinder with the appropriate fittings, Nukatap etc for time being it will sit in my old brew fridge & I will convert one of my other smaller fridges to a fermenting chamber. I was tempted to go the 19l Corny Keg but I am thinking I would be moving in to territories I am not familiar with re: gassing/pressure etc. I am told the 10l keg can be filled without carbonating it & stored & drank in a short time without consequence.  I don't think that will be a problem 🤣

Not to worry @Classic Brewing Co you will soon be ordering 19l kegs and all will be well 😉😉

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have missed a lot of things but my point is apart from being one of the most rewarding experiences/hobbies I have encountered it is also one of the most expensive. 

A rough run down on my spend to date over 4 years:
Coopers DIY kit $99, extra FV $45, big barrel $35, fermenting fridge - free, about 300 PET bottles $300, Inkbird $50 and probably $50 on other incidentals. Plus about $350 on my keg set up which will need to be added to soon. So all up close to a grand or $250 a year.
Prior to home brewing I would have easily spent $3K p.a. on packaged beer. Now I can make it for 1/5 to 1/4 the price of packaged beer. So while the cost of equipment adds up it's still a great investment and saves me about $2K a year.
My solar panels cost $5K and also save me around $2K p.a. on power bills. Thus brewing equipment is a better investment than solar energy. My clear financial advice to everyone is turn the lights off and drink more beer. 💰💰

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

I would hate sorry, my Wife would hate to know how much i have spent, just last month my coolroom was put in service which was roughly 8k alone, if i was to have a guess id be at 25k or so but i've gone a bit further than homebrewing now so i expect that figure to double this year haha. What a hobby

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Perish the thought of how much that lot has cost me 😰

The money is not noticed specifically, but the space it take up is. So far I am relegated to the basement: if I ventured upstairs I reckon it would be a no-no.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

"Brew your own beer to save money" hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

It's true, you can, I'm determined! So far, only four brews down the home-brew path, I've purchased 1 Coopers brew kit with FV and all the bits and pieces; then 3 more brew Pale Ale extracts and brew enhancers,  and 30 more PET bottles.  Yes, it is a very basic product, but thanks to advice from the Coopers Community, my beer  already tastes better than Tooheys New (I think).  So far that adds up to about $150. The same amount of Tooheys New would have cost about $480 for 8 blocks of 30 cans - so there! And the price of the initial brew kit will spread out over time.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jennyss said:

It's true, you can, I'm determined! So far, only four brews down the home-brew path, I've purchased 1 Coopers brew kit with FV and all the bits and pieces; then 3 more brew Pale Ale extracts and brew enhancers,  and 30 more PET bottles.  Yes, it is a very basic product, but thanks to advice from the Coopers Community, my beer  already tastes better than Tooheys New (I think).  So far that adds up to about $150. The same amount of Tooheys New would have cost about $480 for 8 blocks of 30 cans - so there! And the price of the initial brew kit will spread out over time.

In the beginning it calculates like that however in time you may decide to add an extra fermenter or other equipment to further your brewing career. Many years ago I started to list everything as I bought it but it got too hard & I lost interest. I have got so much gear now I wouldn't have any idea of the worth but what I do know is we just keep buying stuff so it just goes on.

No matter how much brewing equipment you have & all of the latest swisho stuff it will aid your beer making but it won't make better beer - we have to do that ourselves. Anyway enjoy the journey, it is always very rewarding.

• Like 5

This is a good question. I couldn't put a price on every bit of equipment I bought but adding it all up, it sure as hell is a fair few $$. 5 fermenters (3 Coopers, 2 not), 2 fridges, a big cabinet for bottles, which is currently empty, a big shelf for the grains, the Guten, the Kegerator, 8 kegs, 2x 2.6kg and 1x 6kg gas bottles, 3 regulators, inline regs, manifolds, the recent kegerator upgrade, heaps of bits and pieces like bench cappers, kegging bits, repair kits, spare parts, the temp controllers, grain mill, chiller, etc. The grain I have alone would probably be around 400 bucks if not more. Then there is an easy 200 bucks worth of yeast, several hundred dollars worth of hops, storage containers for grain, etc. I really don't think I want to know 🙂 

I have also taken over one room for the fridges and storage, part of the outside for the brewing system and the corner of the dining room, where the kegerator lives. 

Lucky I don't brew beer to save money. 

In the end, it is all worth it though. I like brew days, despite the 10 hours I sit outside working, I like the fact that I start off with some grain and hot water and end up with a keg full of goodness. It gives you a sense of accomplishment, when it's not just you who likes your beer but others do to, although that's mainly because it is free I suppose 🙂 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, jennyss said:

Yes i remember those times too, as you've probably been told by now, it's a pretty big rabbit hole haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

In the end, it is all worth it though. I like brew days, despite the 10 hours I sit outside working, I like the fact that I start off with some grain and hot water and end up with a keg full of goodness. It gives you a sense of accomplishment, when it's not just you who likes your beer but others do to(o)

Same here.

Doesn't matter if it's a kit beer, partial mash, or a full all-grain adventure, I find the both the process and the result immensely satisfying.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

This is a good question. I couldn't put a price on every bit of equipment I bought but adding it all up, it sure as hell is a fair few $$. 5 fermenters (3 Coopers, 2 not), 2 fridges, a big cabinet for bottles, which is currently empty, a big shelf for the grains, the Guten, the Kegerator, 8 kegs, 2x 2.6kg and 1x 6kg gas bottles, 3 regulators, inline regs, manifolds, the recent kegerator upgrade, heaps of bits and pieces like bench cappers, kegging bits, repair kits, spare parts, the temp controllers, grain mill, chiller, etc. The grain I have alone would probably be around 400 bucks if not more. Then there is an easy 200 bucks worth of yeast, several hundred dollars worth of hops, storage containers for grain, etc. I really don't think I want to know 🙂 

I have also taken over one room for the fridges and storage, part of the outside for the brewing system and the corner of the dining room, where the kegerator lives. 

In the end, it is all worth it though. I like brew days, despite the 10 hours I sit outside working, I like the fact that I start off with some grain and hot water and end up with a keg full of goodness. It gives you a sense of accomplishment, when it's not just you who likes your beer but others do to, although that's mainly because it is free I suppose 🙂 

I applaud all you brewers who are creative with your brewing. I like reading about your amazing  brews and looking at the pictures; even though I don't plan to go down that path.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1