Coopers Community

How long do you dry hop for?

Pomdrinking

To set the scene i'll give you a run down on what i've done.  I just dry hopped my first beer, i made the American Amber Ale as per the recipe.  Now the instructions said "around day 3 or when the krausen had gone down" add the hops (which i had put in a sanitized bag).  What i actually did was put them in on day 4, which accidentally was just before the high krausen.  My questions start with how long do you leave your hops in for?  I left mine in right up until bottling, which was on day 10.  So they were in for 6 days.  Now having read a bit more i'm thinking about whether or not i'm going to get off flavours from adding the hops just before high krausen?  And, whether i left them in too long and i get hop burn (not totally sure what that is to be honest so if some one wants to explain that one to me that would be great as well).  As before i'm just looking for peoples opinions and methods about what they do.  Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pomdrinking said:

To set the scene i'll give you a run down on what i've done.  I just dry hopped my first beer, i made the American Amber Ale as per the recipe.  Now the instructions said "around day 3 or when the krausen had gone down" add the hops (which i had put in a sanitized bag).  What i actually did was put them in on day 4, which accidentally was just before the high krausen.  My questions start with how long do you leave your hops in for?  I left mine in right up until bottling, which was on day 10.  So they were in for 6 days.  Now having read a bit more i'm thinking about whether or not i'm going to get off flavours from adding the hops just before high krausen?  And, whether i left them in too long and i get hop burn (not totally sure what that is to be honest so if some one wants to explain that one to me that would be great as well).  As before i'm just looking for peoples opinions and methods about what they do.  Thanks in advance.

Should be ok mate. I usually dry hop for about 5 days, after high krauzen. Let us know how it tastes when ready 

• Like 1

you may get hop burn but thats  pretty well normal in the 1st week or so with a new beer as hop burn   will ease

i usually dry hop commando style   and i just leave them in   until i keg.   

if you have fermentation control    cold crash to 2°c   everything will drop out and clear up

• Like 1

I usually dry hop when fermentation starts to slow down - usually about day 3 or 4 when the airlock slows right down. I leave the hops in until bottling day. 
Recently I have been reading about interesting results gained from dry hopping at cold temperatures for 24 hours, so I’m keen to give that a go too. If you’re interested in that I’ll post up the article for you (if I can find it!)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pomdrinking said:

My preference is three days.  I find that is enough to get good aroma happening.  I usually bag them in a boiled and sanitised Chux cloth so I can remove them after three days.  I think you get diminishing returns from dry hopping much longer.  And some hops can create a grassy flavour/aroma if left in for a long time.

Although if using a pressure fermenter, I just chuck dry hops in, and they stay there until the beer is kegged/bottled.  One I did was about 9 days. It had slightly grassy notes, but that seemed to suit the beer.  It was an IPA that can handle a bit of variability.  A dry hopped pilsner could be ruined by such a dry hop.

I have recently started to drop my dry hops into pressure FV's about a day before I start my cold crash.  I cold crash for 4-5 days, so the dry hop is only in the beer for 5-6 days now.

• Like 3

I'm a fan of the dry hop, but I've only ever stored the beers in the bottle. I'm yet to transfer a dry hopped beer into a keg so not sure if I'll notice a difference. I must say, and this is just anecdotally, that my ales dry hopped with varying quantities of hop pellets seem to lose the effect mostly after about 5 weeks in the bottle. Not entirely but almost so.

I'm starting to lean toward a Combo of steeped hop pellets in slightly cooler water temps (around 70-72 degC) on brew day and then a smaller quantity of dry hop pellets added around day 4 of the primary ferment.

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 4

Have sort of went away from dry hopping in favour of whirlpool and hopstands. Saying that I am not into massively hopped beers. But when I do dry hop it's when the fermentation dies down abput 6 to 8 points away from FG and I don't leave them in for longer than 2 or 3 days. It's done it's job by then.

Keg hopping is also something I used to do a lot as well and it's well worth it.

• Like 1

@Pomdrinking , looking at that recipe you mentioned, the dry hop is only 1/2 of the 25 g of centennial used in the dry hop, so say that's 12 - 13 g which is bugger all in real terms so not much chance of hop burn IMO.

Also that recipe does not say to take them out or any duration at all so I reckon you are good leaving them in until bottling as you did on your day 10.

If I dry hop which usually occurs on BD + 3 or BD + 4 or BD + 5 (depending on how close the SG is to FG).  In a normal (say Coopers FV with lift off lid) I remove them after 3 days, usually just as I start the cold crash routine.  If dry hopping in my pressure fermenter's I do it commando and they stay in there until kegging / bottling day.  No grassy notes in the beer from the pressure ferment dry hop that I have noticed.  Cheers

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

I dry hop with either a fresh hop sock or a jiffy cloth straight from the pack, tied up with string or a cable tie. Usualy about 5 days in, and left till bottling (often another 10). Now I often replace tht with a hop tea - hops in hot water in a coffee plunger. The fresh hoppiness tends to dissipate after about 5 weeks, I agree with @Mickep on that one

Hey everyone, thanks for your input.  It interesting to see how different people approach the same problem and there's a couple of ideas here that i'm gonna have a crack at later on. @Mickep how long do you steep for and why don't you do it at a boil?  I do like a hop forward beer so i'm thinking i might try your approach of a tea and a dry hop.  I'm gonna be making a Brew A pretty soon and i've got some spare hops (Hallertau Mittelfruh) so i'll maybe try putting them in that. @Tone boy I'd be really interested to read that article if you can find it.  I'll try to post a picture and let you all know how the amber turns out in a couple of weeks.  Cheers

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Pomdrinking said:

Hey everyone, thanks for your input.  It interesting to see how different people approach the same problem and there's a couple of ideas here that i'm gonna have a crack at later on. @Mickep how long do you steep for and why don't you do it at a boil?  I do like a hop forward beer so i'm thinking i might try your approach of a tea and a dry hop.  I'm gonna be making a Brew A pretty soon and i've got some spare hops (Hallertau Mittelfruh) so i'll maybe try putting them in that. @Tone boy I'd be really interested to read that article if you can find it.  I'll try to post a picture and let you all know how the amber turns out in a couple of weeks.  Cheers

Just to be clear my taste buds don't like a lot of bitterness so I tend to avoid the higher temps with the hops ie at boiling temps. I do K&K with bits so in my opinion the kit tin provides enough of the bitterness already - depending on the style of course. I have nothing scientific to support what I do but from my experience and from the material I've read a 20 - 30 minute steep at anywhere between 75-80 degrees C. seems to work for me.

• Like 2

Not a big dry hopper but when I do it is  48-72 hours.  Because I pressure ferment I would usually dry hop in the keg.   Using a hop cylinder by clipping the chain onto the hook on the underside of the keg lid.  I  then close transfer to the keg.  When dry hopping is over I remove the hops by taking the lid off, seal, purge and pressurise getting minimal Ocontact.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the Amber Ale i was talking about, my first adventure in hopping.  That's 25g of Cascade for 6 days added at high krausen.  This beer is about 3 weeks in the bottle and now its had a bit of time to calm down the hop flavour is mellow and pretty well rounded.  I used US-o5 yeast so i guess you could call it an American Amber.  Anyway, i'm really happy with it so cheers to you all for the help. The crown on this beer is not that great but it took me a few tries to get a decent picture.  I just today bottled a Brew A which i made with a hop tea (25g Hallertau Mittelfru for a 20 minute soak at 80c), so i'm interested to see how the flavour varies between dry hopping and brewing tea.   Cheers again, happy brewing.

IMG_20220409_174825627.jpg

Edited by Pomdrinking
  • Like 9

On 3/26/2022 at 10:41 AM, Tone boy said:

Here it is @Pomdrinking

http://scottjanish.com/a-case-for-short-and-cool-dry-hopping/

I found it interesting and will have a crack at a 24 hr dry hop during cold crash

An interesting read, certainly keen to try a dry hop during cold crash 24hr's before I bottle for my next brew, previously I tend to chuck in during cold crash which can be anything from 4-7days.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2022 at 8:39 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

My preference is three days.  I find that is enough to get good aroma happening.  I usually bag them in a boiled and sanitised Chux cloth so I can remove them after three days.  I think you get diminishing returns from dry hopping much longer.  And some hops can create a grassy flavour/aroma if left in for a long time.

Although if using a pressure fermenter, I just chuck dry hops in, and they stay there until the beer is kegged/bottled.  One I did was about 9 days. It had slightly grassy notes, but that seemed to suit the beer.  It was an IPA that can handle a bit of variability.  A dry hopped pilsner could be ruined by such a dry hop.

I have recently started to drop my dry hops into pressure FV's about a day before I start my cold crash.  I cold crash for 4-5 days, so the dry hop is only in the beer for 5-6 days now.

Why do you boil and sanitise your chucks? The Coopers recipes say a cloth straight from the packet. Did you have bad experiences with unboiled chucks? Just asking to find out if that contributed to my volcanoes and bottle bombs?

28 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Why do you boil and sanitise your chucks? The Coopers recipes say a cloth straight from the packet. Did you have bad experiences with unboiled chucks? Just asking to find out if that contributed to my volcanoes and bottle bombs?

Some people think the blue dye used to manufacture them could be harmful, I personally use white muslin cloth in a tube & you cut of the required amount & tie both end with kitchen string.

You can also buy the same product at LHBS, safe to use as is. However I would not question @Shamus O'Sean methods as he is one of the more experienced brewers on this forum.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Some people think the blue dye used to manufacture them could be harmful, I personally use white muslin cloth in a tube & you cut of the required amount & tie both end with kitchen string.

You can also buy the same product at LHBS, safe to use as is. However I would not question @Shamus O'Sean methods as he is one of the more experienced brewers on this forum.

Thanks @Classic Brewing Co. I am not questioning him, I just try to understand for myself and to learn. Thanks for your tips

5 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

What is LHBS?

3 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Thanks @Classic Brewing Co. I am not questioning him, I just try to understand for myself and to learn. Thanks for your tips

All good mate there are a lot of other abbreviations as well, I & some others did compile a list awhile ago but I am sure someone will beat me to it before I can find it.

• Like 1