Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

Today was a good day overall, but the last four holes ruined a great chance at breaking 80. Looking at the card after, I noticed I was 3 over par after 14, with four birdies along the way, until I hit the tee shot right on 15 and suspect someone in the group coming down 16 nicked it (I put it down as 7 because that's what it defaults to). Put me in a bad mood for the rest of it despite the 39 points. I actually hit 8 fairways, the app stuffed up the 11th hole like it always does for some reason. Avg driving distance was 252m, longest drive 312m, on 16 strangely enough 🤔🤣 back again Tuesday for a practice round unless someone else joins the group and I can play the comp. 

199427909_Screenshot_20221224-155527_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.cbfeeffdc65bda867c735b10dd2d6a43.jpg

• Like 3

cant believe the day i had  for midweek comp

felt like i was hitting the ball crapspecially in the high winds 
i though it was playing like crap  that naga was on the cards with a couple of pars

10th hole my playing partners could believe a shot of mine it landed at the back of green and said the amount of spin you had going you was lucky to hold front  , it was a perfect wedge   but didn't think it would put back spin on the ball

37 points gotta be happy

• Like 1

I had a rubbish round yesterday, 26 points 🥴👎 but I'm blaming it on my own stupid situation on Sunday of spilling hot water on my right big toe while doing my urn cleaning process 🤦🏻‍♂️ I have these blister plasters that I was using on my heels while I wear in my new shoes, and that's all I had that was big enough to cover this thing, unfortunately they swell up as they absorb moisture from the open blister and the pressure in the shoe wasn't painful but it was annoying. 

Today was better by a way. I went to the chemist yesterday after the round and got some large plasters to put on this thing. Also got some painkillers, so today I took a couple before and about halfway through the round, and it was much more comfortable. It still annoyed me a little bit, felt like the plaster was moving in the shoe but it turned out it wasn't. Funnily enough it's got a dull ache to it now without any shoes on 🙄

Anyway, I ended up with 34 points today and a new low GA of 11.8. One more comp round for the year on Friday, hopefully will have a good one and drop it a bit more. Finally sprayed my drive far enough right on the 18th to actually have a shot at the green today 😂 and nailed it perfectly. 

923093208_Screenshot_20221228-161755_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.e52b0bb53e1afb5abf7a33a6686471f3.jpg

• Like 3

Final comp round of the year yesterday, went reasonable despite some patches of rain a couple of times just to add to the wind. First 15 holes aside from 4 and 5 I played pretty well, most times if I missed the green I got up and down for par, but went on an adventure on the 16th, visiting the right trees, the area in front of the 15th tee, then the area in front of the 10th tee before finally making it back to the green 😂 and yet another ob left on 17 ruined that hole. Still, it was good enough for 35 points and the GA finished up at 11.5 for a drop of 8.9 shots for the year, 2.5 shots short of my target so not too bad. I'll be aiming to drop those off in the first half of next year, and targeting 7 by the end of it. Naturally it's more difficult to drop shots as it gets lower. That will begin tomorrow, as I'm not heading out tonight anymore after the boiling water mishap last weekend. Too much risk of it getting trampled on or something to undo the healing so far in a busy pub. 

189846564_Screenshot_20221230-172911_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.eeff8967395265a123815b24915e0544.jpg

• Like 3

Well done Kelsey, you've had a pretty good year on the course given the challenges your course has faced. It is good to set a goal and shoot for it. 

Our final round for the year was a stableford round today.  Finished 8th out of 84 with 39 points and dropped 1 off my handicap.  Happy to end the year on that note. 

• Like 3

Thanks mate. Yes that early to middle part of the year was a bit of a pain, there were definitely some rounds in there that wouldn't have been as bad as they were had the conditions been normal and I wasn't losing balls in the middle of fairways or not far off the edge. But I can't complain about dropping essentially 9 shots off my cap. I am enjoying my golf more that I'm playing better golf. 

Looking forward to starting this year's quest to lower it further. 

• Like 3

played the royal west today in my old fogies  comp lol    and we had a record field of 44  normally around 25 people lol

started on 7th hole   and  took a 3 wood , green is driveable with megaloads of  trouble both sides of fairway , and   flushed 3 wood but drew it into the woods to have it come back 70 metres but in fair way  and the rest well i dont wanna talk about the remainder of hole

however though  pushed on  and for the next few holes  i was tree lining every thing and thought my days dead naga ,   
started to get a swing going but still felt like a numpty swinging  a lead weight lol.   

had 35 points in the end but felt like a 19 point round

now Saturday  i have a choice playing 7.30am at the royal west  or 12pm at Royal Darley for medal day at both course its a Delima  

problem Friday night is drink night    i am still going to be  fuzzy at that time lol    or be semi sensible and coherent at 12pm 

its going to be an interesting one and will work out well  as i have a 70th  birthday to attend to in the evening  so choosing the royal west again so i can have a snooze in the arvo  as big night Saturday  as no expense spared by  the birthday boy top shelf everything its going to be messy

anyway happy for 35 points today    

• Like 4

3 rounds since Sunday, which was ordinary with 28 points. Monday I got to 33 points with some improved driving. Actually played yesterday as well but just social/practice, played pretty badly for a 90. 

Today I played the first of my comps away from my home course that I've planned for the month. The stats say I hardly hit a fairway, but most of them I still had a shot at the green. Stumbled a bit through 11-13 but the rest I was pretty happy with. GA down to 11.2.

1698372169_Screenshot_20230104_154315_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.509ac2dc23b574d6fa6b8a009407ce55.jpg

• Like 2

The last month or so my Golf has been very average.

I've hit some fantastic shots (for Me), only to follow it up with crap. Handicap has slowly crept up to 20.8 and may go higher. Had a few practice hits this week, felt good, hit good shots but comp day and my back is twinging and I struggling to swing. 

Was going to play to day but struggling to move, back is very tight. Let's hope I can get past this and get back to playing and bring the handicap back down.

16-18 is the range I'm looking for.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

The last month or so my Golf has been very average.

I've hit some fantastic shots (for Me), only to follow it up with crap. Handicap has slowly crept up to 20.8 and may go higher. Had a few practice hits this week, felt good, hit good shots but comp day and my back is twinging and I struggling to swing. 

Was going to play to day but struggling to move, back is very tight. Let's hope I can get past this and get back to playing and bring the handicap back down.

16-18 is the range I'm looking for.

Don't feel bad about the handicap  there is a guy  at 1 of my clubs with a handicap of 50  couldn't believe  my eyes when I seen the scorecard

I know how ya feel I am in constant back pain .  I have just learn to accept  the painful back ache.

• Sad 1

I played with a guy recently who shot something like 150, unfortunately it was a black markers stroke day so he had to keep going, it was pretty painful and honestly on busy courses or busier stroke competition days I'm not sure people that bad should be allowed on the course. It just ruins the enjoyment for those in the group and the rest stuck behind. 

On Tuesday we were stuck behind about four groups of completely useless hackers who struggled to hit the bloody thing 50 metres. Waiting around on every tee on the front 9 for at least ten minutes just sucks. You can't get into any rhythm at all. I'm actually surprised I didn't shoot worse than 90. 

26 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I played with a guy recently who shot something like 150, unfortunately it was a black markers stroke day so he had to keep going, it was pretty painful and honestly on busy courses or busier stroke competition days I'm not sure people that bad should be allowed on the course. It just ruins the enjoyment for those in the group and the rest stuck behind. 

On Tuesday we were stuck behind about four groups of completely useless hackers who struggled to hit the bloody thing 50 metres. Waiting around on every tee on the front 9 for at least ten minutes just sucks. You can't get into any rhythm at all. I'm actually surprised I didn't shoot worse than 90. 

Jeez that would drive me mad, I remember similar in my golfing days, they seem to be the ones that never practice, just turn up & mess up everyone's day.  They wonder why everyone is better than them, they need to commit to practice to at least try & improve their game.

It was the same with Darts, I was fortunate enough to advance to a high level & played some of the best players around but when I entered an Open, all the 'Wally" dart players would turn up, FN why because most of them couldn't hit a cow in the a****  with a handful of wheat if they were standing behind it.

Practice, Practice, Practice - that's why we have champions & they are on the telly.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

completely useless hackers who struggled to hit the bloody thing 50 metres. 

I played with a mate who doesn't have a handicap on Tuesday, Living in a tourist area in holiday season, it was busy. Four guys in front one hit a big ball, one of the others took 2 big Air swings before making contact, big slice, on the third try! Two and a Half hours for nine holes! Wife went home she can't play that slow. Course is full all day, good for the club.

Get my back better and i'm back at it..

• Haha 2

Yes being busy is good for the club overall, but it is a small reason why I mainly play competitions. Most of them are Stableford so you don't get too much slow play. It wouldn't be so bad if these clowns would let you through but they never do. 

Agree on the practice though, I don't get to do it as much as I'd like but I obviously play a lot which helps. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yes being busy is good for the club overall, but it is a small reason why I mainly play competitions. Most of them are Stableford so you don't get too much slow play. It wouldn't be so bad if these clowns would let you through but they never do. 

Agree on the practice though, I don't get to do it as much as I'd like but I obviously play a lot which helps. 

If the back is good, I play two comps a week, plus the Vets if it suits.

Wife and I practice our chipping and pitching, then play 3-5 holes, at least twice at a week, usually more.

I've got the time..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DavidM said:

If the back is good, I play two comps a week, plus the Vets if it suits.

Wife and I practice our chipping and pitching, then play 3-5 holes, at least twice at a week, usually more.

I've got the time..

During the working year I usually play twice a week, although I'll have to miss a few when I do brew days obviously. At the moment it's probably 4 or 5 rounds a week 🤣 I like to get and practice at least once a week but my hours don't always allow it, that's why I usually turn up an hour before tee off and practice chipping for half an hour. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Jeez that would drive me mad, I remember similar in my golfing days, they seem to be the ones that never practice, just turn up & mess up everyone's day.  They wonder why everyone is better than them, they need to commit to practice to at least try & improve their game.

i resemble that comment phil.  i like playing comp however i don't practice like i once did my attitude towards the game has changed  in recent years.   i was a bit like @Otto Von Blotto is now ,   i was fortunate my ol school mate  was a pro golfer and gave me cheap lessons and was also my club fitter .   

i play golf for the enjoyment and a chance to spend 4.5 hours on course and a beer after the game  and quite content to  stay my current handicap   ok would like to get down to around 16 but i wont lose any sleep if i dont

but i am not one of those 150 shotters   lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

i resemble that comment phil.  i like playing comp however i don't practice like i once did my attitude towards the game has changed  in recent years.   i was a bit like @Otto Von Blotto is now ,   i was fortunate my ol school mate  was a pro golfer and gave me cheap lessons and was also my club fitter .   

i play golf for the enjoyment and a chance to spend 4.5 hours on course and a beer after the game  and quite content to  stay my current handicap   ok would like to get down to around 16 but i wont lose any sleep if i dont

but i am not one of those 150 shotters   lol

At first, I wasn't sure if you meant resent or resemble so I assume you meant it lightly, but don't worry we won't call you a "Wally' golfer. 

🤣 Anyway if I was to try a round these days it would be a challenge, with a dodgy knee & Bursitis in the shoulder it would be a real joy.

I used to take it seriously & I did get down to 6 but after a while it was taking up too much of my time & I started to lose interest.

I still like to watch the Masters etc occasionally.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 3

Yeah I'm more talking about people who would struggle to play off a 50+ handicap if it existed 😂 not the 20-30 markers. They might be 50-100 metres shorter than me but they generally hit it fairly straight so they really aren't taking any longer to play. 4.5 hours for a round isn't too bad and with today's comp being black markers stroke it'll probably be around that time, but if those people on Tuesday didn't stop after 9 it probably would have taken over 5 hours and that's ridiculous. They might as well have just used a putter for every shot because they weren't doing any better with the rest of the clubs. 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah I'm more talking about people who would struggle to play off a 50+ handicap if it existed 😂 not the 20-30 markers. They might be 50-100 metres shorter than me but they generally hit it fairly straight so they really aren't taking any longer to play. 4.5 hours for a round isn't too bad and with today's comp being black markers stroke it'll probably be around that time, but if those people on Tuesday didn't stop after 9 it probably would have taken over 5 hours and that's ridiculous. They might as well have just used a putter for every shot because they weren't doing any better with the rest of the clubs. 

i'm sure   there isn't to many males (unless starting out and never picked a club up)  that would be subjecting themselves to  a black marker challenge stroke day in my thoughts that are 50+ handicappers.  the one we have at our club  only plays Wednesday i think 

258234595_50cap.thumb.jpg.bf0771ebb82736ee211a186a90e5edc4.jpg 
*White out club and Name for privacy reasons  

i honestly feel that not many 50+  handicappers would subject themselves to it  but just imagine  if they have a day out in the park and  had a gross 90 and a nett 39.5    lol  , i would be 2 scared to show my face at presentations 

• Haha 4

Wow 🤣🤣

Well today's round did take longer than 5 hours, I'm not sure what was happening with the groups a few ahead but they were the main reason for it. There was 6 groups between the 3rd tee and 4th green when we were at that point, which is always a bottleneck but not that bad usually. It cleared up on the 5th as per usual but then there was another backup on the 12th tee which was highly unusual. Apparently we sat around for 15 minutes there. Today though it didn't annoy me, I took the chance to have a sit down and rest. 

I had a great day today despite the holdups, shooting a new PB for 9 and 18 holes, only real blemish was on the 18th. I ended up finishing 4th but technically tied first with 3 others on 67. It was a fantastic feeling to finally break through the 80 barrier, and off the blacks even better. I made a lot of up and downs, the putter felt like it couldn't miss, consistently holing 6-10 footers. I did lose a ball in a water filled bunker on 3, but since it's compulsory Gur no penalty. I might find it tomorrow or Sunday when the water soaks in more 😂😂 GA down to 10.5 after today's efforts. 

1303963747_Screenshot_20230106_181901_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ea7a09e2c2890e411a072493ada35b03.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Wow 🤣🤣

Well today's round did take longer than 5 hours, I'm not sure what was happening with the groups a few ahead but they were the main reason for it. There was 6 groups between the 3rd tee and 4th green when we were at that point, which is always a bottleneck but not that bad usually. It cleared up on the 5th as per usual but then there was another backup on the 12th tee which was highly unusual. Apparently we sat around for 15 minutes there. Today though it didn't annoy me, I took the chance to have a sit down and rest. 

I had a great day today despite the holdups, shooting a new PB for 9 and 18 holes, only real blemish was on the 18th. I ended up finishing 4th but technically tied first with 3 others on 67. It was a fantastic feeling to finally break through the 80 barrier, and off the blacks even better. I made a lot of up and downs, the putter felt like it couldn't miss, consistently holing 6-10 footers. I did lose a ball in a water filled bunker on 3, but since it's compulsory Gur no penalty. I might find it tomorrow or Sunday when the water soaks in more 😂😂 GA down to 10.5 after today's efforts. 

1303963747_Screenshot_20230106_181901_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ea7a09e2c2890e411a072493ada35b03.jpg

Great Score.

Well Done!

• Like 2

great darts @Otto Von Blotto  , sounds like you had guys on  50 handicaps in front of your playing group

Turned up at my 2nd club thinking  it was  going to be stroke and of the back markers and being medal day.   to my surprise it was the good S word Stableford  of back markers 

had a great front 9 with 20 points that consisted of 2 wipes   however the back 9  well that tor another one out off me and just couldn't recover  finishing the back 9 with 11 points  

the group in front where whinging and comp[aining about a guy in their group  and 1 done his stack and has reported one bloke in that group   for the reason being  at every water hole  he had to go collect  golf balls that wasn't his out of the water which was holding my group up as well as his other team mates.

Also The club had some bad news overnight  a couple oxygen theifs decided they would help themselves  and steal  a ute a trailor and tractor from our greenkeepers compound, which is heartbreaking for our club  as we rely on the help of players to volunteer their time to keep the fairways and greens in good nic  but these oxygen theifs have just made life much harder for the club.

the good thing is though these theifs was seen and was able to be identified  and was seen coming out of a house near the  greenkeepers compound.  

anyway golf was played and will back on Wednesday  for another go

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

great darts @Otto Von Blotto  , sounds like you had guys on  50 handicaps in front of your playing group

Turned up at my 2nd club thinking  it was  going to be stroke and of the back markers and being medal day.   to my surprise it was the good S word Stableford  of back markers 

had a great front 9 with 20 points that consisted of 2 wipes   however the back 9  well that tor another one out off me and just couldn't recover  finishing the back 9 with 11 points  

the group in front where whinging and comp[aining about a guy in their group  and 1 done his stack and has reported one bloke in that group   for the reason being  at every water hole  he had to go collect  golf balls that wasn't his out of the water which was holding my group up as well as his other team mates.

Also The club had some bad news overnight  a couple oxygen theifs decided they would help themselves  and steal  a ute a trailor and tractor from our greenkeepers compound, which is heartbreaking for our club  as we rely on the help of players to volunteer their time to keep the fairways and greens in good nic  but these oxygen theifs have just made life much harder for the club.

the good thing is though these theifs was seen and was able to be identified  and was seen coming out of a house near the  greenkeepers compound.  

anyway golf was played and will back on Wednesday  for another go

Quite an eventful day OD, now THROTDO & have a beer 🍺

• Like 2