Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

11 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Well no sunshine here today, wasn't even sure if I'd bother going to play at all but I'm glad I did because I ended up winning the comp. About 50 players today with carts off and pretty crappy conditions, although the heavier rain held off so while it was pretty soggy, the weather itself wasn't too bad. Normally I play like crap in the wet but I think having no expectations I just relaxed and played without much thought. Best round off the black markers I've played, and equal best ever. Sank quite a few mid range putts which helped a fair bit too. Handicap dropped a full shot to 13.6. Unofficial handicap on the scoring app using the GA system is down to 10.8.

Tomorrow's forecast looks pretty terrible though so I've postponed the lesson, and probably won't play either which will give me time to do some stuff around the house too. 

806911171_Screenshot_20221022-164603_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.7a23225e0173373320727025925b6fc9.jpg

Well done OVB, maybe if the forecast is for more crap weather you should get back out there after yesterday's effort. 😂🏌️‍♂️⛳

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Well no sunshine here today, wasn't even sure if I'd bother going to play at all but I'm glad I did because I ended up winning the comp. About 50 players today with carts off and pretty crappy conditions, although the heavier rain held off so while it was pretty soggy, the weather itself wasn't too bad. Normally I play like crap in the wet but I think having no expectations I just relaxed and played without much thought. Best round off the black markers I've played, and equal best ever. Sank quite a few mid range putts which helped a fair bit too. Handicap dropped a full shot to 13.6. Unofficial handicap on the scoring app using the GA system is down to 10.8.

Tomorrow's forecast looks pretty terrible though so I've postponed the lesson, and probably won't play either which will give me time to do some stuff around the house too. 

806911171_Screenshot_20221022-164603_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.7a23225e0173373320727025925b6fc9.jpg

Well Done, that's a cracking round in the wet.

• Like 2

Saturday Comp:

Just a great day for Golf, light winds and thin clouds early but cleared later to full sunshine.

I played well too! for awhile, made it too the 13th hole 3 up. Not sure what I did next but it wasn't golf.

14th is a dogleg right, Sliced the ball over the fence, reload, pushed it right and into thick trees, never found it, Wipe.

Wiped four holes in a row!! Parred the last to give me 20 front 11 back, 31 points,

Not happy.

Handicap Match play heat Monday, I've drawn the Club Champ!

At least he has to give me 15 shots.

Should be fun..

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

Well done OVB, maybe if the forecast is for more crap weather you should get back out there after yesterday's effort. 😂🏌️‍♂️⛳

😂😂 Thanks mate. I cancelled my booking for today, I wouldn't be surprised if they close the course anyway. Also cancelled the lesson I was meant to have prior to the round. 

• Sad 1

On 10/23/2022 at 9:48 AM, DavidM said:

Handicap Match play heat Monday, I've drawn the Club Champ!

At least he has to give me 15 shots.

Showed up for the Match but not much else.

The Champ opened up with a Birdie on the first, thanks to a long putt.

And that is how the game continued, he had one bad hole and lipped out on a par 3 for what would have been a hole in one!

I was four down at the turn and played the 13th before conceding, I didn't play that well but he was on Fire!

Next Time..

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Didn't have a good day overall today although I did take some positives from my short iron/wedge approaches inside 150m, hitting the green 73% of the time. The greens had been scarified Monday and Tuesday, so they were quite slow and rolling a bit oddly at times, going straight when break was expected, and funny little sideways movements around the holes where none would be expected. I had ten good holes today but unfortunately there were far too many bad ones, I'm blaming the heat which we obviously haven't had for a while. Not used to it yet and I did feel quite a bit more drained halfway through the back 9 than usual. On the front we were stuck behind hopeless social players and while I wasn't annoyed at waiting, it probably didn't help get into any rhythm either. 

And it was just fitting to make a par on the last after probably the worst tee shot I hit all day apart from the first one 🥴

692203274_Screenshot_20221030-164522_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.e32162d94cb69413a2201559da796751.jpg

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

Night and day today. I was playing for a spot at royal Queensland in the pro am prior to the PGA championship in a couple of weeks. Or at least last year it was the pro am so I assume it's the same again 😂 anyway I was going along well until everything fell to bits. I missed the NTP on this hole by about a foot, and mine was only about 6 feet from it. Only highlights on the back were a 283m drive on 12 and a chip in on 14. After a reasonable second shot on 12 I only had a wedge in, and completely stuffed everything up from there, pretty indicative of the round really. Oh well, I'll try again next year 😅

1740422758_Screenshot_20221105-181203_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.03a30bd9e971b8e868e8d6cea77d5b1d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

283m  drive  thats massive   i would need an uber to get me that distance    i  would be just pushing 200mtres at best,  but 90% of mine hit the fairway.    

Monthly Medal  and a day with out rain in Victoria and was able to get out the pearly white legs to get a tan started on them.   was hitting the ball fairly well  but chipping  and the rough greens from coring in mid October hasn't hlped my scoring.

finished with a net 80  amongst my rubbish   , just glad i didn't  decide to play at the other club i am a member at as it was 1st day of the club championships yesterday  and wouldn't have had a great start.   

arrgh roll on Wednesday will get the clubs out and  play at the new club    

• Like 3

I think part of it was letting out frustration after the 9 on the 11th 😂 I'm only worried about missing fairways if it goes too far off and I get blocked by trees, or in the case of the 4th yesterday, hitting it dead straight but too long and going for a swim. Most of the rough off the edge isn't much worse than hitting off the fairway anyway (at most courses I play at). 

Sounds like we all had an off day yesterday! 

I had a much better day today though. Lesson this morning focused mainly on trying to stay still during the swing. It's easier said than done, I can do it pretty well in the backswing but I like a lot of people have a tendency to move my lower half forward with the downswing. He gave me an old shaft to use as a training aid, basically stick it in the ground on my left side and avoid bumping into it when swinging. He also suggested ignoring the total score until the end, something I have done sporadically but I'll try to do it every round now. Certainly worked today, dropped my handicap to 13.0 and got another win 😁

1995578247_Screenshot_20221106-151621_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.3637120ae0bec306b1853618b2a5e063.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

He also suggested ignoring the total score until the end, something I have done sporadically but I'll try to do it every round now

I'm one who ignores the score whilst playing, might peak but don't take it in.

One of my playing partners is the exact opposite, from hole one he knows if he is up or down and by how many.

He will often say things like, "well that's it, only a practice round now" even thou we are only on the 3rd or 4th hole!

Well Done on the new Handicap 

• Like 4

Thanks mate. Yeah I just find if I know what my score is and it's a decent score, I start getting a bit anxiously excited about it and then start stuffing things up. If it's the opposite I get either deflated or angry and lose concentration because I don't really care what happens anymore. If it's like yesterday and I have no idea what I'm on then neither tends to happen because I haven't put any added pressure on myself and I just focus on the current shot every time. Obviously I write the scores down but I don't take any further notice of them and don't add them up until the end. 

Was a nice surprise at the end yesterday to see that score, because I didn't really feel like my ball striking was its best. 

• Like 4

because  i am the great maths stuffer  upperer   i add the scores up as i go,   however   i dont tend to worry about  things to much score wise  i couldn't careless what happened the shot before  , to me that shot is over  , give a bit of manly grunt then drive to the next ball  relax  take my stance   play the current shot.     the thing is you cant undo the past  and you cant change the future but you can change the present.

i am more about  enjoying a hit with friends   rather then bettering the handicap, it would be nice but @ 51  i am not looking at going on the liv tour anytime soon this lifetime

at the moment my issues are    when i driving is do this do that then this and that all the way from address to final follow through
but when i dont think how to swing its great bang on target  

• Like 3

Yep you can't dwell on the bad shots. I have gotten better at that over time, but I suppose I have more confidence in my swing now as well, so my bad shots usually aren't quite as bad as they used to be, but if I do end up in trouble I can just punch out and be pretty confident of landing on the green for a chance at par, or at worst saving bogey. 

Yeah the less swing thoughts the better really. That's why I need to practise these things so they become second nature rather than having to think about anything. I must say though I don't have a lot of thoughts now so I'm not confusing myself with a million things. Sometimes I just don't execute it properly. 

My main reason for playing is enjoyment as well, it's just when I'm playing badly, hitting it all over the place and racking up doubles and triples I don't find it very enjoyable, fortunately that sort of thing doesn't happen often these days. There's still the odd double or triple but I don't often string a few together like I did on Saturday. 

There is a desire to improve as well. Dropping the handicap is more of a byproduct than the driving force, it will take care of itself as I improve anyway. Yesterday and the first half of Saturday's round were much more enjoyable than the second half of Saturday because I was playing pretty well. 

• Like 3

On 11/6/2022 at 8:16 AM, DavidM said:

My game has gone for a Holiday, I'm hoping it comes back soon... Net 84 yesterday!

Well the swing returned on Wednesday for the comp.

Windy day with wind gusts too 50k, my first hole the 10th, almost straight into the wind, went two clubs up and hit the green, par 3, made the put form about 25 feet, nice start to the day. Played the rest of the 9 steady but not good, to turn 2 over.

Front 9, couple of par's and then Pared the last 4 holes! 6 under for the 9

As we are standing on the last hole waiting to tee off, my playing partner tells me that I need to Boggy this hole to end 3 under, I didn't know, I told him that's just putting me under pressure! Didn't matter, I pared the last to finish 4 under 66 and outright winner!

My previous game was a net 84, this game was net 66 gross 86

Lost a full stroke off my handicap, down to 18.6

Great day, see what happens next game.

• Like 4

Well pretty rubbish today. Not knowing my score didn't do much other than stop me getting completely frustrated with it all. The driver wasn't behaving today, in hindsight I should have just bagged it for the day and used the 3 wood, lesson for next time. I finally hit a fairway with it on our last hole (9) with the most uncoordinated and unbalanced garbage swing I had all day. I have been working on something from last lesson, and most of the time with the irons and wood it was producing some good swings and good shots, just couldn't get it going with the driver today. Handicap only went out by 0.1.

692100277_Screenshot_20221112-130625_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.44e4be29a84e04396ca90b3e97e68467.jpg

• Like 3

What a difference a day makes. Swing was much better, and I was hitting the driver well this time too. Short game was going well and chipped in for birdie on 6. New personal best round in terms of strokes too. Now off to buy new shoes since the stupid dog decided mine would make a good chew toy. I can still wear them but they're a bit ripped up 🤣

1237838635_Screenshot_20221113-102349_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.9965efb9e85e7d1a7d40aa688d1ea03e.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

What a difference a day makes. Swing was much better, and I was hitting the driver well this time too. Short game was going well and chipped in for birdie on 6. New personal best round in terms of strokes too. Now off to buy new shoes since the stupid dog decided mine would make a good chew toy. I can still wear them but they're a bit ripped up 🤣

1237838635_Screenshot_20221113-102349_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.9965efb9e85e7d1a7d40aa688d1ea03e.jpg

Well Done, makes you wonder where the swing goes form day to day.

Bad luck about the shoes...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Well Done, makes you wonder where the swing goes form day to day.

Bad luck about the shoes...

It's probably a mental thing more than anything else. Either way it was nice to get it back today. 

Ah well, they're probably about due for replacement anyway really. The dog just sped up the process a bit 😂

• Haha 2