Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

Next Saturday is the second round of the championships, plus the monthly medal.  We will have 4 stroke rounds for the championships then a couple of weeks of other formats - stableford and par then the next monthly medal. 4 rounds of stroke is the longest run we have for the year. 

• Like 2

Our club champs are 4 rounds for A grade, B and C are 3 rounds. A plays 36 holes on the third weekend I think. I am in B grade this year and unlikely to be seeded on gross scores unless I have a blinder and shoot 70 or something ridiculous on Saturday, but I'll play the third round anyway if I can get a spot. 

• Like 3

Golf..

Well, Left home feeling good about myself and where my game was at.. Wrong.

Wiped the first two holes, Pared the next, ended with 7 points for the front 9 !

Drive started to work on the back 9 and ended with 25 points total.

First round of club champs Saturday, hope I can bring my A game..

• Like 2

The second round of club champs was cancelled today due to bloody rain, it started last night and didn't really stop until late this morning. However, there was a black markers Stableford on so I still went for a hit. Drove it better, but my short game was unusually rubbish and I didn't putt that well either. Still not disappointed with 37 points especially after the garbage start to the back 9. Back tomorrow off the whites this time. 

1756472029_Screenshot_20220903-180357_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.5bef6e15f44906a0a59a98adf66f4ccb.jpg

• Like 1

First round of the club Champ's (or is that Chump's)

Started well but tired late as slow play was the norm, I think the cold left me stiff on each shot and the waiting on the back nine did me in.

Ended five over so will see how I do next week. Need to be at least that to make it to the Quarter's.

• Like 2

Second round of our championships. Shot 41 on the front nine and everything seemed to be working. Started the back nine with bogey, par, bogey then the rubbish set in.  Finished 89, nett 74 so really only 1 over my handicap. Sitting 3rd in B Grade,  happy with that. There's always next week. 

• Like 2

Pretty crappy 30 points on Sunday, driving wasn't quite as good but still largely stayed out of trouble. The wind was a problem, along with being quite strong it was changing direction all the time as well. Despite that I actually hit my irons well, missed almost every green mostly on target but falling short, one went long. Putting wasn't great either, pace was fine but kept grazing the edge. 

Meanwhile I've decided to switch my ball to ProV1, I tested out a sleeve I got from NTPs and comp placing and found I hit them straighter, especially with irons, and getting a bit more distance off the tee. Short game performance is pretty much the same as the TP5. I think they spin a bit less on longer shots which is probably why I'm more accurate with them. 

• Like 2

What a silly game this is...had an absolute mare yesterday in the second round of club champs shooting a 94/78, only had two good holes the whole round, the opening birdie and a par a few holes later. 

Today was the total opposite, couldn't miss a putt, got all the lucky bounces and the few times I went too far off line I still had a decent shot to get it forward or even on the green. A couple of untidy holes but overall I was happy with my score. I was on track to break 80 for the first time until the double on 16. I needed birdie and par on the last two, but the bogey on 17 meant I needed a hole in one on the last for a 79. Short game was on point too which helped since I hardly hit a green. 

This was a 4BBB Stableford with the social club, we had 43 points, and I had 42 on my own. Handicap there is a couple more than my real one. My unofficial handicap recorded on the scoring app has dropped to 13.3. 

525202200_Screenshot_20220911-123541_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.1aab6812fe4748a695ae75a66a34d49e.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

What a silly game this is...had an absolute mare yesterday in the second round of club champs shooting a 94/78, only had two good holes the whole round, the opening birdie and a par a few holes later. 

Today was the total opposite, couldn't miss a putt, got all the lucky bounces and the few times I went too far off line I still had a decent shot to get it forward or even on the green. A couple of untidy holes but overall I was happy with my score. I was on track to break 80 for the first time until the double on 16. I needed birdie and par on the last two, but the bogey on 17 meant I needed a hole in one on the last for a 79. Short game was on point too which helped since I hardly hit a green. 

This was a 4BBB Stableford with the social club, we had 43 points, and I had 42 on my own. Handicap there is a couple more than my real one. My unofficial handicap recorded on the scoring app has dropped to 13.3. 

525202200_Screenshot_20220911-123541_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.1aab6812fe4748a695ae75a66a34d49e.jpg

Great score, Well Done.

• Like 2

Club Champ's

Qualified second in C grade !! Had a good day yesterday to up my standing. Quarter finals should have been today.

Phone call this morning, my opponent call in sick with a heavy cold, so I go through on a forfeit.

I'd rather play and take my chances on a win, not to be, move on.

Semi's next Saturday and final on Sunday.

Had a short practice this morning and felt good, happy with my ball striking (most of the time), see what happens in a week.

• Like 2

Stableford yesterday. felt like  my game was never there , play some average shots  but some was very terrible .

i'm usually straighty 180 at best but i was miles of that and had to scramble all day just to make a point finished with 28 points.

Today's game was with the social club scores mean nothing to be honest.

but i found more ways to make a hole interesting.  wont complain though   if i called for a baby draw with driver the driver listened and put me in good stead my 2nd shots let me down as well as putting

12th hole 110metre par 3 60° wedge perfect stricke   nice draw   playing partner needs glasses (said i was aiming for bunker)  lands on green misses a hole in 1 by an inch..  hole before missed a hole in 1 by 2ft.

my front 9 was the worst   but things was ok  as i turned with 47  but was happy with that  back 9  was  hackers day out and finished  with 43..

i wish my normal game would this once a week

greaty day

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Great score, Well Done.

Thanks mate. I reckon if I can break 80 once I'll find it easier to do it again knowing that I can do it, same as the breaking 90 barrier a couple of years ago. Apart from the crappy days I'm regularly shooting in the 80s now. 

Nice work in the club champs too, hopefully you do well in the next rounds. I'm about halfway down the leaderboard in mine so unless I can shoot a nett 55 or something ridiculous in the third round I'll have to wait until next year 😅

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

How fast are you swinging to hit a 60° wedge 110 metres? My 58 goes 85-90 at most lol

Yeah @ozdevil that's a massive hit, I use my 45 pitching wedge for that distance lol

Sounds like a good day out thou..

Edited by DavidM
missed line
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Yeah @ozdevil that's a massive hit, I use my 45 pitching wedge for that distance lol

Sounds like a good day out thou..

let me tell you it was wind assisted. 3 holes prior , similar hole distance  45 pitching wedge  flew the green  , landed on proshop roof and the proshop guy screaming at me to be careful next time 

so with the same hole distance decided to take the chance with the 60°  and would have been happy to fall short of the green rather then flying it as it would have been out of bounds and in the river

Edited by ozdevil
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

let me tell you it was wind assisted. 3 holes prior , similar hole distance  45 pitching wedge  flew the green  , landed on proshop roof and the proshop guy screaming at me to be careful next time 

so with the same hole distance decided to take the chance with the 60°  and would have been happy to fall short of the green rather then flying it as it would have been out of bounds and in the river

All good, well played

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 5:30 PM, DavidM said:

Club Champ's

Qualified second in C grade !! Had a good day yesterday to up my standing. Quarter finals should have been today.

Phone call this morning, my opponent call in sick with a heavy cold, so I go through on a forfeit.

I'd rather play and take my chances on a win, not to be, move on.

Semi's next Saturday and final on Sunday.

Had a short practice this morning and felt good, happy with my ball striking (most of the time), see what happens in a week.

Well that was Disappointing!

Saturday, semi final, near Gale force winds and short heavy showers. Very Cold.

Felt good on the range hitting a few balls, worked on my low ball to stay out of the wind, everything felt good.

Started the game badly and never changed, just was not on my game!

My opponent didn't play well, I just played more badly than he did, lost of the 14th.

In the other match, same thing, the first ranked player was not on his game and was never in it, he lost on the 15th.

Golf at my level is always hit and miss but this was a real shocker!

Golf..

• Sad 1

I had a reasonable weekend without being fantastic or terrible either day, although the back 9 on Saturday was the worst of the weekend. I also playtested a driver, but I wasn't completely happy with it so will look at other options next round.

Saturday was an aggregate Stableford, best 3 of the 4 each hole, however it was simultaneously a single Stableford. Our group ended up with 117 points, for my round 34. I began well with 3 pars, on the way to a +3 front 9, and then it all turned to crap. For some weird reason I couldn't get used to the green speed either. 

1187168335_Screenshot_20220917-175452_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.010b94977ba09da7ce8dee781198d31c.jpg

Sunday was a social club game. I'd adjusted the driver lie angle to more draw bias but the accuracy wasn't much different to Saturday. I also lost a ball in the middle of open space on the 4th hole, but I think the group playing the 7th picked it up and then denied it. Whatever happened, it annoyed me quite a bit having to reload in a situation where it should have been pretty easy to find the original ball. Anyway, the short game and putting was a lot better apart from a stupid 4 putt from 3 feet. I also chipped in twice.  Next round on Thursday.

727846011_Screenshot_20220918-124916_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.17c1dec0efcc4a23640809f44b61b46e.jpg

• Like 2

Yesterday I played a solo practice round, was meant to be a comp on but most of the field wimped out, dunno why as the course wasn't too bad despite the rain. Greens were nice and soft. Anyway, I had about half a dozen mulligans across the round, as I wanted to see what sort of score I could post without the really bad shots. Pretty good in the end and looking forward to the weekend's comps.

901547674_Screenshot_20220922-164459_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.4e31481d61470c43799605e6cf08d254.jpg

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

Blue markers Stableford today, tested out a different driver, this one was the TSi3 with a 70g HZRDUS smoke black RDX 6.5 (X-stiff) shaft as opposed to the TSi2 with a tensei 55g S flex. Much much better, it felt lighter to swing and as a result easier to control the direction. I also hit it further. I'll give it another run tomorrow but it's looking positive to end up in the bag I reckon. 

Anyway, pretty good round today, didn't hit many greens but most of the misses were on target but short so I was swinging well at least, and my short game was working well with 64% up and downs. Hopefully will get a bit of shop credit to go towards the driver.

1281134528_Screenshot_20220924-145932_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.a8cede44c10313c05332c591acecd26b.jpg

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Blue markers Stableford today, tested out a different driver, this one was the TSi3 with a 70g HZRDUS smoke black RDX 6.5 (X-stiff) shaft as opposed to the TSi2 with a tensei 55g S flex. Much much better, it felt lighter to swing and as a result easier to control the direction. I also hit it further. I'll give it another run tomorrow but it's looking positive to end up in the bag I reckon. 

Anyway, pretty good round today, didn't hit many greens but most of the misses were on target but short so I was swinging well at least, and my short game was working well with 64% up and downs. Hopefully will get a bit of shop credit to go towards the driver.

1281134528_Screenshot_20220924-145932_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.a8cede44c10313c05332c591acecd26b.jpg

Hey Otto, fairly impressive game, you seem to be getting more consistent especially with the long game. It has all changed drastically since I last played, not the game but the technology & equipment/choices available. 

I would be happy with 84 OTS - now to get it down to 74 !!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey Otto, fairly impressive game, you seem to be getting more consistent especially with the long game. It has all changed drastically since I last played, not the game but the technology & equipment/choices available. 

I would be happy with 84 OTS - now to get it down to 74 !!

Thanks mate, yeah I have definitely improved off the tee, combination of the lessons and getting clubs properly fitted for my swing as well. My coach is really good at getting the right setup in that area, and certainly helped me improve my swing over the past year as well. I can't say I expected to need an extra stiff flex shaft though, I didn't think my swing was that fast 😂 but I haven't had it measured with a driver for ages.

I dunno about 74 just yet haha, target at the moment is 79, if I can tidy up a few things I'll get there - mainly the odd fat iron shot, they still creep in once or twice a round, fortunately today they didn't result in anything worse than a bogey but they usually lead to worse. 

• Like 3

Didn't go as well today. I had a lesson prior which was short, just made a minor change to my setup position moving my hands a bit further forward to get a better shaft lean position. Of course every change takes a bit to get used to so I wasn't hitting it as consistently. When I did get it right the ball flight was great, starting a bit lower and climbing as it flew. Unfortunately my short game and putting decided to have Sunday off. I ended up buying the driver as well, after the lesson we tried a different shaft before going back to the original one. I didn't swing as well with it either due to that setup change but I controlled it enough to stay out of trouble. It's a 9 degree head, set to 10.5.

1910678381_Screenshot_20220925-172853_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.d8b6cde9fc5c62e35fad1a40a72e36de.jpg

20220925_170646.thumb.jpg.c6ab35367210d06ca0a19f0882eebc63.jpg

20220925_170308.thumb.jpg.d70a91ed3fbb5d46da67eacbe80d8602.jpg

20220925_170424.thumb.jpg.341b97b8ac5fa189c5f1563fe23b523a.jpg

20220925_170338.thumb.jpg.a8740b2923678ce8bdc688cf3a71e3d2.jpg

• Like 2