Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

3rd round of clubbies and was having a reasonable  round going  mind you i cant win clubbies in my grade as i didnt play last weekend , but i got through 14 holes    ..  had 47  on the front    and was looking at doing a bit better on front  and took my drive of the 6th  got to my 2nd shot  and swang  not only did i hear the noise of ball hitting club but a  the noise of a meniscus in the knee going and crashed to the ground.

silly me after doing that  i took my third shot came tumblin down to the ground again  3 playing partners say that was a great shot  , yeah but my knee doesnt thinkso  finish the hole with 5 and said guys thanks for the game  a great score is not going to relieve the pain in my knee so i am ncr'ing   ...still went the last 3 holes with the guys as i was in a cart  no way i could have walked back anyway
as it was all up hill....    

looks like i am having another  stint away from Golf  ..   @Otto Von Blotto  mate i'll trade you places , you play golf for me at my course and i will suck up the rainy weekends..   even if it rains at my course we still play

• Sad 3

That's no good mate. Hope you recover soon. 

We still play if it rains too normally, but it's so saturated right now that even a light shower makes it pretty much unplayable.

I still managed to get a hit today though at an indoor range. The simulators have a virtual range as well as being able to play courses. I think the calibration of the thing on courses was a bit off though, the ball speeds were rather ridiculous and my club distances were about 20-30 metres longer than usual. I don't think I've ever hit my 58° wedge 110 metres unless I blade it 🤣 My best effort was a 90, but with stupidly positioned OOB that wouldn't exist on a real course (seriously a few metres off the fairway wtf), and putts that should have dropped not doing so, I probably played better than the score would suggest.

It was more realistic on the virtual range, and I found my swing speed to be around 100-105mph with a 3 wood. It might be slightly faster with a driver, being a longer shaft, but it's not in the bag currently. It's certainly faster than a couple of years ago when I bought my driver, at that time it was around 90, so it confirms my hunch about needing to replace the shaft in it. 

20220521_122515.thumb.jpg.a989a9068d0d42dfae0ad7555a8abc09.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I've always wanted to try an indoor range, just to see swing speed and ball spin, but never got around to it. 

I'm glad I did that now, even though it was forced due to weather. It's useful information to have. I didn't take a lot of notice of the spin rates but I did notice that the sidespin was almost always under 1000, quite a few in negative numbers. Backspin around 2000ish with the wood. 

• Like 2

Wednesday Comp: Steady game with a few too many errors, just little stuff. Ended with 30 but the handicap is rising.

Saturday Comp: Good steady game with a few mistakes, wiped two holes, one on each nine. My drive was better and helped with the scoring, I forced a few which went know where! Stayed steady and easy on the swing for the rest and it payed off, ended with 35.

Handicap is still going backwards, I'm back into the 20's (20.1), drop four flags in the next six rounds!

ok  after yesterday i woke up sore but ok , today was a social group day amongst friends.

took it rather gingerly as io know me knee is stuffed and i was hitting 30m or a bit more past my 200mtre drives  , i'm only a small hitter

managed to get through 18   but i am very sore now   so was a bad choice but i said to myself  if itssore that i cant stand its just a cart ride around

i finished with a 97 gross  but hey ill take that..

but have decided because it 3rd week of clubbies and i know 3 more weeks of stroke   due to monthly mug and 2 other board events

its best golf goes on a side line

• Sad 2

31 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

https://youtu.be/gaKxWbSo8O8

This is why my course is continually closed at the moment. The rain isn't over the top but it was a week or two ago which caused this, and the light showers that keep passing through prevent it drying out properly 😑

Yike's Otto, that's a lot of water, I can see why it's closed. It looks like a really nice course though, good luck with it opening up again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yike's Otto, that's a lot of water, I can see why it's closed. It looks like a really nice course though, good luck with it opening up again.

Yeah I reckon. Some of those sections went under in the floods earlier this year which didn't exactly help, but this time none of it went underwater, it's just the relentless rain has completely saturated the ground. The forecast is for more showers until Thursday when it's supposed to start clearing up, then fine days across Friday and the weekend... might be too late to reopen Saturday though depending on how much rain they get before it clears up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah I reckon. Some of those sections went under in the floods earlier this year which didn't exactly help, but this time none of it went underwater, it's just the relentless rain has completely saturated the ground. The forecast is for more showers until Thursday when it's supposed to start clearing up, then fine days across Friday and the weekend... might be too late to reopen Saturday though depending on how much rain they get before it clears up. 

Yep a week of sunshine would be the ticket but I am thinking that's unlikely but as you know there is eff all you can do about it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yep a week of sunshine would be the ticket but I am thinking that's unlikely but as you know there is eff all you can do about it.

If it stays clear after the weekend it'll be open next week, but maybe it will start clearing earlier. It's been gloomy all arvo today but not a lot of rain. I have a social club game on Sunday as well, not sure how that course is going though. 

• Like 1

Wednesday Comp: Lot's of rain forecasted (for our area) but not much fell on the course.

Got a call from one of the playing partners asking where I was? said it's a bit early, wasn't going to stand around in the rain. Changed into my golf gear and headed down to the club in light rain. 

Tee off early as there wasn't many players about and the my guys were ready to go, no warm up, wouldn't have hit many balls in the rain anyway.

Four bad swings on the first hole and wiped that one, reset for the next and make par on the next two.  The rain stopped and wasn't too bad a day form then on. Scored 17 on the front nine 19 on the back, six Pars and two wipes.

Started raining again as we putted on the 18th, quick round as well, just under 3 hours. GA down a bit to 19.6

Happy with most of the day.

• Like 1

It's hardly rained since Tuesday here, no rain Wednesday or yesterday and today is bright and sunny so I'm hopeful the course will be open tomorrow. I have a round booked for Sunday as well. Not sure how I'll play even though I did have that hit last week. I have a feeling my chipping and putting will be a bit rusty tomorrow so I might try to get there a bit earlier and get some practice in beforehand. Either way the weather is looking better over the next few days so hopefully it keeps up for a while to let the course dry out properly. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's hardly rained since Tuesday here, no rain Wednesday or yesterday and today is bright and sunny so I'm hopeful the course will be open tomorrow. I have a round booked for Sunday as well. Not sure how I'll play even though I did have that hit last week. I have a feeling my chipping and putting will be a bit rusty tomorrow so I might try to get there a bit earlier and get some practice in beforehand. Either way the weather is looking better over the next few days so hopefully it keeps up for a while to let the course dry out properly. 

mate , your lucky ,  i'm off golf as we speak due to my knee  , i want to play  but i know if i do i'll end up in hospital worse for wear.

but hey  you qlders havent had much luck with weather so i hope you get out and have a hit

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ozdevil said:

mate , your lucky ,  i'm off golf as we speak due to my knee  , i want to play  but i know if i do i'll end up in hospital worse for wear.

but hey  you qlders havent had much luck with weather so i hope you get out and have a hit

Yeah it's been pretty ordinary to say the least. However, the course is back open with carts off, which doesn't affect me as I always walk anyway. Weather is bright and sunny and predicted to be pretty much all week so I'm looking forward to getting out there this arvo. I'm sure the ground will be a bit softer than usual so hopefully I don't chunk too many, but I'm glad to just get back out there. The simulator last week was fun but nothing beats the real thing. 

• Like 1

Well that was interesting. Didn't score that well but the conditions weren't great. The weather was perfect but the ground is still very soft under foot, especially in the rough, which is also a lot longer than it usually is because they can't get machinery on it yet. A number of shots from it fell way short, where normally they wouldn't. The greens were predictably slower than usual as well but I couldn't get myself to hit it harder most holes. At least 3 of them stopped dead an inch or two short but on line, another couple fell short on line about a foot, so I had my eye in with reading the greens at least. Long lag putts were good for a change though, pretty much all finishing in my target 3 foot circle around the hole. 

My coach loaned me a driver for the round to test out, this was a Titleist TSi3 with a stiff shaft. I dunno if it was due to not playing for a while or not but I only hit two good drives with it, the rest were pretty bad slices. Perhaps the shaft isn't quite right either. It has a bit of weight in it. My 3 wood is heavier than my own driver but this thing was heavier again. I'll be back tomorrow so whether he can change it to a different shaft or not for another test I don't know. It's not my main priority right now though, I'd like to update my irons as the next part of the bag revamp. 

1074863193_Screenshot_20220528-172207_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.da574fadd79494b61f0ec3cd2c626f83.jpg

• Like 1

Same here. I will be playing again tomorrow but I doubt it'll be much different. On the plus side my approaches inside 150m were better today, hitting the green 60% of the time. If I can keep out of the rough more tomorrow perhaps I can take advantage of that and post a better score. 

Weather is predicted to be fine and mostly sunny all week so hopefully the course will be better for it next weekend.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

Played in a 27 hole Foursome Championship on Saturday:

Played is the wrong word! Showed up is better..

Playing partner was nervous, missed the opening tee shot, I put him into the trees, he didn't get out... and so it continued.

One of the other members of the group started trying to hurry my partner up "because we were behind", this made him more nervous and his game went further down hill, mine wasn't much better.

We steadied a bit over time but still not good, took Last place by a good margin!

Fun wasn't had by All..

Golf..

Much the same yesterday as Saturday for me, but worse by a point on the score. Had to wipe two holes on the back because we couldn't find the ball in the longer than usual rough. Were some positives though, I'm getting my swing better with the approaches, landing more of them on target. Maybe that will filter through to the longer clubs, although the 3 wood is still reliable as ever. The ground itself was a little drier and firmer around the greens which gave me more confidence in my short game, and I did chip better for it. Nearly holed one for a birdie. 

I tested a couple of drivers across the two rounds, neither of which I hit all that well. Saturday's one had a tensei 65g stiff shaft, yesterday's was a Rogue LS or whatever it was, with the same shaft that's in my 3 wood, also tensei 65g stiff but a different colour band to Saturday. I had trouble squaring up the club face with both of them, which was probably mainly to do with falling off balance than the club itself or the shaft flex. When I managed to stay balanced and get my weight going with the downswing instead of against it, I was able to hit both of them much straighter, with just a little fade. It may work better with a lighter weight shaft in the same flex to get it squared up easier though. Something for this week perhaps. 

• Like 1

More of the same today. I didn't have a driver in the bag today, just used the 3 wood. The front 9 wasn't too bad (I actually had 17 points but the app won't bloody save the changes to the hole indexes that came in last week) but everything just went wrong on the back. It's still soft ground, and rain overnight didn't exactly help matters. I hit my tee shot on 14 pretty much straight down the fairway and couldn't bloody find it anywhere. The light was fading pretty fast by the time we got to 16/17 and was virtually dark on the 18th, which didn't help either. Back again tomorrow a couple of hours earlier, hopefully will play both nines better and post a reasonable score. One good thing is that it hasn't blown out my handicap, it went out .2 to 14.0 last week and has held there today. White tees tomorrow so I'll be off 12 😳

141331764_Screenshot_20220604-184255_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.21a322810c236908fe7767e14f41e2e9.jpg

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

I'm creeping up...28 points today 🤣 the app updated the indexes but it only seems to want to do that if I select white tees for some reason 🙄

Anyway, after losing my opening tee shot in the trees (we were able to tee off early so no time to warm up properly), I started to get the swing going ok after a couple more holes. Only trouble was with the soft ground I was hesitant about my usual hit down on the ball type swing, so quite a few half bladed shots and a few chunked as well. It worked well one time though when J half bladed a wedge from 40 out and it stopped dead on the green. Fine off the tee at least so it's coming back, and at least I made a birdie. Perhaps the ground will be a bit firmer in a fortnight when I'm back there next and I'll have more confidence to go after it properly. I don't expect my handicap to change, the round that will fall off today is only a 29 pointer. 

1909019031_Screenshot_20220605-153442_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ddf5be44c2fc9d38b92ed8724086894d.jpg

• Like 2

Sneaked in a practice 9 holes in my break today, finally had a long one line up with a non competition day, and no bloody rain. Didn't go too bad for no warm-up, just a couple of silly doubles from short game muckups. I feel like I'm getting back to somewhere near where I was before the forced break. I kinda cheated on the last when I just didn't see my tee shot at all, and didn't have time to search far and wide for it so just threw another one down in the fairway at my usual distance 🤣 I should have just hit again from the tee but meh. It's only practice. 

153995075_Screenshot_20220607-122301_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.5ef874e5cda8fc07b974275ccfb8325a.jpg