Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

No idea what their handicaps were 😂 I'm guessing someone had a lost ball on 12 and either went back to the tee or took forever to find it. 

Today's (Saturday) round was a total crock. We teed off on 10 and I don't know what the hell I was doing for most of that 9, just had no rhythm or direction at all. Played better on our back 9 at least, but the GA went back to 11.2. I felt like I putted pretty badly too and was surprised to see 29 putts on the card at the end. This chip in birdie was about the only highlight, although I almost repeated it on the 9th. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. 

235317835_Screenshot_20230107_172451_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.940b0002b76dd442c1080b2a7aee58a8.jpg

• Like 3

It must have been nice to follow a 52 for 9 holes with a 38 for the next 9. There are days when 52 is followed with another 52...or worse. 

I shot 90 yesterday which included an 8 on our par 4 5th hole. A bad drive into trees followed by my 2nd shot into the dam meant I was always going to have trouble limiting the damage.  Played OK besides that, given the 37 degree heat. Handicap is back 14.

• Like 3

Yeah, it was nice to keep things semi respectable. 

I did a little better today but not a whole lot. Probably getting a bit tired after 3 straight days playing, but it was nice to finally land a tee shot on this bloody par 3 green, even if it was only 2 inches from the edge 🤣. I usually end up in the bunkers or off to the left of it. The pickup on 16 was due to a pitching wedge hitting the cart path and bounding over the trees, apparently the wind decided to die when I hit the shot, but I did pull it a bit far left anyway. GA held steady.

1718399020_Screenshot_20230108_155121_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.949389e154831293ca19b4612c570c1a.jpg

• Like 2

had an interesting round  today but followed with  bad news when i got back.

Wednesdays shot gun start   Started on the 7th drew the club capitano so gotta be on best behavior 

back 9 , i had my chances but stupid thoughts  crept in  and me being me didn't put in  and went around  in 12 points

but crikeies what a front 9  doubled my front  with a wipe i think to finish 24 points

not unhappy   about the round i just think back nine could have been slightly better

we got to about the 4th hole 2 holes to go , i get a call from my mother , saying the last of a bloodline is now passed  way  at 92 
she was my great Aunty Silvia Bennet 

i say she was looking after me , as my last to holes was 4/3 and 3/3

bringing me 24 points on the front and 12 on the back  . played to handicap   but left a few shots out there.

RIP Aunty Silvia

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

Bit of an up and down round of sorts today. Me and a regular playing partner swapped nines in a way with me playing well on the front and him going round the back in even par, in the end we both had 36 points. Bit disappointed to wipe a couple on the back, especially 14 when none of us saw my tee shot and couldn't find it. I had an outside eagle chance on this hole after I actually executed a plan to cut a 3 wood around some trees and hit the green in two.

I'm enjoying the extra driving distance I've been achieving lately, it's certainly helping to shoot lower scores. Avg 249m today with a longest of 300 - it took us a bit to find that one because we didn't think it'd gone that far 🤣 GA back down a bit to 10.8

1460195759_Screenshot_20230111_153359_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.a6e3f83af62d349be9f5eeadcd178eea.jpg

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

Another good round today at the second of my playing different courses "tour" around Brisbane over my holidays. Only partially ruined by a couple of silly triple bogeys late. When I left the clubhouse I was tied first and leading the A grade by 2 shots/points, so a decent day out there. This course is only a few minutes drive away so I might well play some more there through the year. 

On this hole I decided to just have a go with driver, hit a deliberate fade around the dog leg and finished 2 or 3 metres short of the green. Chipped it to about 6 inches for the easiest of birdies 😅 pretty happy overall given I played 16 holes in +3, and GA back to 10.5 again. Tomorrow I'm off to another local course for their black marker challenge, hopefully put in another good effort.

767031938_Screenshot_20230112_152700_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ddb14962b16d853e636b59294f43cac6.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Yuley said:

@Otto Von Blotto what app do you use? Gives a good summary!

Apologies if its already been mentioned - I haven't gone thru the pages of this thread!

I have played Wantima up there. Not a bad course. Use to play Keppera regularly when I lived up north.

Hey mate, it's called golf pad. It records a bunch of other stats as well which helps a bit with working out which parts of the game need improvement. 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2023 at 9:12 AM, DavidM said:

Great Shot and well played for the day!

Thanks mate, I love it when a plan comes together 🤣

Yesterday's card isn't even worth posting. I apparently forgot how to swing the club after the first four holes apart from a few holes that weren't too bad. The pins at Gailes were cut in ridiculous positions which didn't help, but it certainly wasn't the main reason for shooting 105 🤮😳 fortunately it didn't move my handicap anywhere. 

Today normal programming resumed 🤣 and I had a decent day out there, the swing was back and the putter was working well too. Bit of a concentration lapse on 12 but otherwise I played fairly well for the round, and sort of got my handicap into single figures for the first time ever (the daily will vary of course). Definitely a correlation between longer driving distance and better scores, most par 4s I'm hitting drives to wedge range now, instead of 7 or 8 iron range. Makes a difference for sure.

1566541935_Screenshot_20230114_172258_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.2a8d530e2fe294d8c3f14f6a22db3560.jpg

Screenshot_20230114_183337.thumb.jpg.c506cca5fa5f0c5d1d0b863924b4ac8e.jpg

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Congratulations 😃

You have worked hard at it and have achieved your goal.

Well Done

And thank You for sharing your journey with the Brewing Community 🍻

I note with interest how diversified your emoji's have become - the evil emoji and the heavenly version both sharing the same space. Don't mind me. 😝 

Edited by Mickep

Played yesterday in the Heat

It was 38 when we Started, up to 40.7 no long after, stayed in that range till we finished!

Club has a Heat policy which is based on the "predicted temp" the night before, this is one of those days when it went a bit higher on the day. Still it's up to the individual to decide to play or not! I decided to play, my back was still stiff, felt like the Tin-Man, couldn't bend.

Started well and played steady for the first nine, to turn the corner with 17 points. Faded away for awhile as the heat started to get to me. But still managed to get home with 15 points for a round of 32

One of my playing partners started to melt with 4 holes to go, he was stuffed, he limped home with a good score of 36!

Tough day but lot's of lovely Pale's at home helped.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Thanks mate, I love it when a plan comes together 🤣

Yesterday's card isn't even worth posting. I apparently forgot how to swing the club after the first four holes apart from a few holes that weren't too bad. The pins at Gailes were cut in ridiculous positions which didn't help, but it certainly wasn't the main reason for shooting 105 🤮😳 fortunately it didn't move my handicap anywhere. 

Today normal programming resumed 🤣 and I had a decent day out there, the swing was back and the putter was working well too. Bit of a concentration lapse on 12 but otherwise I played fairly well for the round, and sort of got my handicap into single figures for the first time ever (the daily will vary of course). Definitely a correlation between longer driving distance and better scores, most par 4s I'm hitting drives to wedge range now, instead of 7 or 8 iron range. Makes a difference for sure.

1566541935_Screenshot_20230114_172258_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.2a8d530e2fe294d8c3f14f6a22db3560.jpg

Screenshot_20230114_183337.thumb.jpg.c506cca5fa5f0c5d1d0b863924b4ac8e.jpg

Congrats OVB, very well done.

• Like 1

Cheers everyone 😁 but yes new goals for the year to achieve now. I still haven't got it to 9 although going under 10 is a nice milestone to get to. I'm keeping it a bit more conservative this year, trying to get it to 6 by the end. Bit more difficult to drop it as it gets lower. 

Today was the last of a string of five rounds in a row and it was pretty ordinary for the most part. Managed to play a bit better on the back 9 to scramble something half respectable but overall a day to forget. Just didn't start well and couldn't find my swing the majority of the round. Avg drive 248m, longest was this hole, as it usually is on this course. It annoys me a bit that I'm within range of hitting that green in two when I drive it that far down, but there are too many tall trees on the left across that bend directly in line with the green that would block a 3 wood. Unless I can somehow hit a high cut or sling it around the trees with a draw, or pound one 350 metres down there off the tee, there isn't any realistic chance of eagle. GA went out but only to 9.9 😂

698037784_Screenshot_20230115_184441_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.a987d7e0e273abf9831d40b4c7217c53.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DavidM said:

Played yesterday in the Heat

It was 38 when we Started, up to 40.7 no long after, stayed in that range till we finished!

Club has a Heat policy which is based on the "predicted temp" the night before, this is one of those days when it went a bit higher on the day. Still it's up to the individual to decide to play or not! I decided to play, my back was still stiff, felt like the Tin-Man, couldn't bend.

Started well and played steady for the first nine, to turn the corner with 17 points. Faded away for awhile as the heat started to get to me. But still managed to get home with 15 points for a round of 32

One of my playing partners started to melt with 4 holes to go, he was stuffed, he limped home with a good score of 36!

Tough day but lot's of lovely Pale's at home helped.

anything above 35°c  or above its a early morning game and the earliest as possible  or no play at all  for me.   if my playing partners are stupid enough to play i watch them from the bar  under aircon

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Cheers everyone 😁 but yes new goals for the year to achieve now. I still haven't got it to 9 although going under 10 is a nice milestone to get to. I'm keeping it a bit more conservative this year, trying to get it to 6 by the end. Bit more difficult to drop it as it gets lower. 

great to see ya break the barrier man you have worked hard

i hope you can get lower,  but where do you think is  your happy medium  to maintain your handicap
the reason  i say this you can go on for ever  going lower to see how far you can get but at some point  its going to stop.  
i'm not saying dont stop going lower .  

but i know you can do this mate  your playing a hell of alot of golf even when ya not on holidays   

but good luck with the goals  you have got this love reading your journey

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

great to see ya break the barrier man you have worked hard

i hope you can get lower,  but where do you think is  your happy medium  to maintain your handicap
the reason  i say this you can go on for ever  going lower to see how far you can get but at some point  its going to stop.  
i'm not saying dont stop going lower .  

but i know you can do this mate  your playing a hell of alot of golf even when ya not on holidays   

but good luck with the goals  you have got this love reading your journey

I haven't really thought about it, but given my competitive nature I will just keep going to get it as low as I can, because at some point in the distant future it will go up again from whatever my lowest point ends up being. In saying that, I will keep the progressive goals in reach, I'm not trying to get to scratch in a year for example, but I would like to get there at some point. I think getting from basically 10 down to 6 in a year is achievable though. If I get there earlier I'll try for 5. In the immediate future I'm just aiming for more rounds around the high 70s to build confidence in myself of shooting those scores, and learn how to manage myself mentally to do it more consistently, similarly to when I began to break 90 more consistently. Outside of an 81 I shot 20 years ago, it took probably 18 months or thereabouts from when I first broke 90 this time around until the 79 last Friday. It was a hurdle to get over but now I have and know I can do it, I'm more confident of doing it again and again. Even more so that I did it off the black markers. 

My mindset on the course isn't really focused on any of that though, I just try to make each swing a good one, make par on each hole, and if that isn't possible limit the damage to a bogey, and if it's worse just try to forget it and focus on the next swing. I expect the GA figure will fluctuate up and down against an overall downward trend so I don't get too worried about rounds like today. Some days I just can't find my rhythm for whatever reason. 

On a side note, I won that competition I played at McLeod on Thursday, and also picked up a 100-and-something dollar voucher for that 6 inch nearest approach. I'm playing there again on Thursday, maybe I can burgle some more 😂😂

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I haven't really thought about it, but given my competitive nature I will just keep going to get it as low as I can, because at some point in the distant future it will go up again from whatever my lowest point ends up being. In saying that, I will keep the progressive goals in reach, I'm not trying to get to scratch in a year for example, but I would like to get there at some point. I think getting from basically 10 down to 6 in a year is achievable though. If I get there earlier I'll try for 5. In the immediate future I'm just aiming for more rounds around the high 70s to build confidence in myself of shooting those scores, and learn how to manage myself mentally to do it more consistently, similarly to when I began to break 90 more consistently. Outside of an 81 I shot 20 years ago, it took probably 18 months or thereabouts from when I first broke 90 this time around until the 79 last Friday. It was a hurdle to get over but now I have and know I can do it, I'm more confident of doing it again and again. Even more so that I did it off the black markers. 

My mindset on the course isn't really focused on any of that though, I just try to make each swing a good one, make par on each hole, and if that isn't possible limit the damage to a bogey, and if it's worse just try to forget it and focus on the next swing. I expect the GA figure will fluctuate up and down against an overall downward trend so I don't get too worried about rounds like today. Some days I just can't find my rhythm for whatever reason. 

On a side note, I won that competition I played at McLeod on Thursday, and also picked up a 100-and-something dollar voucher for that 6 inch nearest approach. I'm playing there again on Thursday, maybe I can burgle some more 😂😂

man  sounds like ya coming the golfburglar jumping courses to win a golf ball and voucher lol but better in your pocket and theirs lol

i hope you get to scratch mate, the only way i am getting to scratch is if i dream it lol

10-6 is a good achievement as you said anything lower is the bonus and to me if you keep going north   its telling me  your not quite at you maintenance part of the handicap  as you are not starting to go south and north  yet , if that makes sense

finding rhythm for me that happens every game  lol.  i probably would amaze myself if i spent more time chipping and putting then practicing arm ups to mouth

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ozdevil said:

man  sounds like ya coming the golfburglar jumping courses to win a golf ball and voucher lol but better in your pocket and theirs lol

i hope you get to scratch mate, the only way i am getting to scratch is if i dream it lol

10-6 is a good achievement as you said anything lower is the bonus and to me if you keep going north   its telling me  your not quite at you maintenance part of the handicap  as you are not starting to go south and north  yet , if that makes sense

finding rhythm for me that happens every game  lol.  i probably would amaze myself if i spent more time chipping and putting then practicing arm ups to mouth

I won $50 for winning the comp plus another 100 or whatever it was for the NTP thing. I'll get it sorted on Thursday when I go back, although I popped in yesterday on my way to my own course to get a glove and wire brush thing with the $50 portion of it. 

Yes I can certainly get it lower. I just want to be the best I can be at it. It's a constant journey to improve rather than a sort of get it whatever number and then just maintain it there. I'm simultaneously happy with where my game is at at any given time but working to improve it as well. 

Lol, yeah I have done a fair amount of practice on my short game over the past year, it has certainly helped shave some shots off the scores. I don't do a lot of work on putting but it's not something I generally struggle with anyway, I have developed a pretty reliable and consistent putting stroke/method over the last few months. I started doing the Cameron Smith thing of a long look at the hole before I hit the putt, and I've found it help a lot with judging speed. I don't use a practice stroke, I have tried it before and found no benefit. Most of the time now I'm pretty accurate with the speed, it's just the line that isn't quite right, but that's pretty normal for longer putts anyway, even the pros don't make many of them. I don't have any stats on holing percentage from different lengths, but I'm pretty good out to about 6 -7 feet, naturally the percentage drops the longer they get. I don't have many 3 putts though which is good. 

• Like 3

Good day out today, despite never really feeling in total control of things for some reason. The first drive went off into the trees between the first and tenth, but I punched it out, hit the cart path and ended up on the green, so I figured it might be a good day after all 🤣 Apart from a couple of stupid chunked wedges on 15 and a silly 3 putt on 17 I played better than I felt I was swinging, which is probably a good thing 😅 Avg drive 259m, longest 285.

GA down to a new low of 9.2, back to McLeod again tomorrow. 

205728021_Screenshot_20230118_164551_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.3f5642cee79020bc4ef9b9b981d2cfd2.jpg

• Like 3

Played in my Local Wednesday comp   had a good front 9 consisting of 1 wipe   for 20 points  ,  mind you its a fairly easy front 9 but has its moments

back 9   12 points which could have been better,  but got a bit heated with the old bugga';s behind our group in their wisdom they thought it was a great idea to hit up on us only2 of them could just get the distance to be notice the 3rd bloke who is 89  can only just get the fairway  ,  we wasn't travelling that slow  but we had a guy  from Canada in our group  and fluffed about a bit but no means  was he holding anyone up  .  its a pet hate of mine when your still in range of the tee box , i have had bad experiences ,  

after that it took me 2 holes later to get a score .

over all was happy with  off the tee and some  2nd shot approaches  

20,12 = 32   was good considering i should have had a few more pars on the back 9 ,  but putting and chipping aint my best  parts of my game.   but hey its never going to get better when i dont practice

• Like 3

Shame about the back 9 and those guys hitting up on your group. There are a couple of holes at my course where you can't see groups in front who are still within range of longer hitters. It'd be useful if they installed a bell or whatever down there to alert the players on the tee box when it's clear. There are a few other par 4 holes where depending on the wind direction I can almost reach the green. I've inadvertently hit balls close to groups before, especially now that I'm still getting used to the extra distance I'm generating. On a par 5 recently I was over 200 out uphill into the wind, I thought I won't make that, sure enough it bloody rolls up next to the green while they were still putting 🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Shame about the back 9 and those guys hitting up on your group. There are a couple of holes at my course where you can't see groups in front who are still within range of longer hitters. It'd be useful if they installed a bell or whatever down there to alert the players on the tee box when it's clear. There are a few other par 4 holes where depending on the wind direction I can almost reach the green. I've inadvertently hit balls close to groups before, especially now that I'm still getting used to the extra distance I'm generating. On a par 5 recently I was over 200 out uphill into the wind, I thought I won't make that, sure enough it bloody rolls up next to the green while they were still putting 🤣

mate , they wasn't long hitters  , but where we was  we was in clear site its a pretty well one of those straight holes lol.  there was no  harm done in the end  , our club  are pretty laid back and just shite stir about these things anyway.

i must admit though if they hit us it was only trickling to us   

• Like 1