Coopers Community

GOLF

iBooz2

On 6/7/2022 at 4:06 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Sneaked in a practice 9 holes in my break today, finally had a long one line up with a non competition day, and no bloody rain. Didn't go too bad for no warm-up, just a couple of silly doubles from short game muckups. I feel like I'm getting back to somewhere near where I was before the forced break. I kinda cheated on the last when I just didn't see my tee shot at all, and didn't have time to search far and wide for it so just threw another one down in the fairway at my usual distance 🤣 I should have just hit again from the tee but meh. It's only practice. 

153995075_Screenshot_20220607-122301_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.5ef874e5cda8fc07b974275ccfb8325a.jpg

Nice.. and always good to get out.

• Like 1

Played today, well not really, I was on the course!

Hit a few good drives, some nice approaches, couldn't get a putt to drop.

Just couldn't get it going, ended with 27

will probably push me a bit higher in Handicap!

Try again tomorrow🙄

Yeah it was good to have a proper hit rather than just the range. I did have a round booked tomorrow as well but I've cancelled that as I don't think I'll have enough time. Will probably go to the range though. 

My next comp round isn't til next Saturday, social club game Sunday and busy with other stuff this Saturday. Hopefully I can get back to shooting near my handicap then, kind of hit a wall with the progression of it downward lately, although the interruption due to weather didn't help.

That's what I figured, the lower it goes the more difficult it is to keep it going down. I haven't been playing well at all the last few rounds though, in addition to some artificially wiped holes due to course conditions, but now I'm getting some continuity back I'm hitting it better again. Hopefully next time the course has dried out enough that I don't lose balls in open space 🤣

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Played today, well not really, I was on the course!

Hit a few good drives, some nice approaches, couldn't get a putt to drop.

Just couldn't get it going, ended with 27

will probably push me a bit higher in Handicap!

Try again tomorrow🙄

where do you fit in  time for work  and sleep mate and brewing mate ,  your well and truelly addicted to golf lol

i heard the liv tour is looking for players kevin na just got $40something figure for signing up

i'm just jealous mate i cant play at the mo

15 hours ago, ozdevil said:

where do you fit in  time for work  and sleep mate and brewing mate ,  your well and truelly addicted to golf lol

i heard the liv tour is looking for players kevin na just got $40something figure for signing up

i'm just jealous mate i cant play at the mo

It's all in the planning..

Play golf three times a week, practice twice if possible, Brew/Bottle once or twice.

Retired and Broke helps!🤣

• Haha 2

Yeah...if it wasn't for work I wouldn't have to choose between golf and brewing every weekend 🤣 I need to get a few bits and pieces before I brew again anyway. In the meantime I've decided given the amount of rounds I play at the moment to upgrade my membership to full. The payment per month is less than I'm currently spending with the reduced green fees plus comp fee 4 or 5 times every month. This way I only pay comp fee and any social rounds are free, so it'll save me about $20 a month on average. Plus I usually play more frequently when I'm on leave so if it's only $15 a comp it'll save me a lot over that period too. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DavidM said:

It's all in the planning..

Play golf three times a week, practice twice if possible, Brew/Bottle once or twice.

Retired and Broke helps!🤣

retired and broke   does help 

I am now thinking i may need to come out of semi retirement so i can afford to play considering the  cost of living in Australia is getting rude

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2022 at 8:58 AM, ozdevil said:

retired and broke   does help 

I am now thinking i may need to come out of semi retirement so i can afford to play considering the  cost of living in Australia is getting rude

Another ordinary day at Golf, kept topping the ball, will spend a bit of time on the range this week and see if I can fix it.

ended with 29, GA out again 21.2 I'm turning into a Crap golfer again..

• Like 1

Social club game yesterday, so early morning which I haven't done for a while due to the last 3 being called off. Shorter course than usual being a par 66 with plenty of par 3s. Started horribly, didn't help being frozen stiff and no real time to warm up, not that it would have done a lot given I didn't really warm up properly until half the round was over anyway. The swing was pretty ordinary as a result, and I went out in 48 (+14). The back 9 went a lot better, with two to play I was +2 for the 9, but 4 putted on a crazy sloped green on the 17th for a triple, then bogey on the last for 38 (+6). 86/69 total, could have been a lot better if it wasn't so bloody cold at the start.

This was a game I wasn't originally gonna play because I don't like the course much, and originally the game was gonna be a team event which I also don't like a hell of a lot, unless it's 4BBB. However, due to the cancelled games recently they changed it to stroke, so I had to play to get the last match play qualifier played, which I won to go to second on the table. It's a bit of a BS system though since the handicaps stay where they were at the beginning of the year for the whole match play season, and since I am overall a better player than 20 now it's a bit unfair I think. 

Then to top it all off we got back to the car and my keys were missing. I assume they fell out of my pocket in the cart, normally I don't play in carts so it's never an issue. After a bit of messing about to get home, I called the pro shop later in the arvo and thankfully someone had found it on the 17th, so no harm done in the end. 

Next game is on Saturday back at my home course, a morning game as well but later at 7:30. Hopefully it's a bit warmer than yesterday..but at least I'll have time to warm up beforehand this week. 

• Like 2

Blue markers Stableford today. The course has dried out quite a lot since last time I was there, rough is back to normal length again in most places, and nice firm fairways again. As a result I went a lot better, and despite not hitting a single fairway on the front 9 I managed only +4 off the stick. Missed in good areas I guess, along with a few lucky breaks. Handicap dropped .1 to 13.9. 

This unlikely birdie was the highlight. Low punch out of the middle of the trees somehow missed the bunkers, and I chipped it in from the fringe 🤣

1897731744_Screenshot_20220618-154813_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.5698c907393fb43e9dee5c2ad54e4e51.jpg

• Like 1

Another Crap game Wednesday, Had a 2ml dump with strong wind, only lasted ten minuets but that saw lot's leave the course, half of my group stayed.

Today, Light winds and Bright sunshine, great day for golf. Despite the perfect conditions, no big scores.

I started my day with Par and Birdie, then steady with a bit of crap, turned with 17

Two good hits on the par 4 14th left me pin high to the left behind a bunker.

Sitting on bare ground, I played a 60 deg. lob which pulled up a few inches short in the Lip of the bunker, plugged.

Managed to get out for and two putt so no harm, finished with total 33, enough to get a ball in the rundown.

Dropped .1 still playing crap golf overall..

• Like 1

33 isn't too bad.  My app still hasn't updated the indexes. I actually had 20 points on the front and 14 on the back. I got a ball too, well half a ball since I use TP5 lol. 

Next week is a 4BBB stroke comp on the Saturday, then I'm playing in the social club at Maleny which is kind of like a Scottish Highlands type course. 

• Like 2

1st comp round after  back and knee injury  and survived the round although back and knee played up a little towards the end

was a 2 man  Ambrose was a bit of topsy turvy kind of a day and finishing with 67 net and i reckon the bloke i was partnered with swallowed the entire  book on golf rules in the end .  pointing out rules no one has ever heard off   however   we was no where near the days winner   a pair that was playing  with combined  handicap of -1.0  with a net score of 62    they had something like 11 birdies     mind you  1 was a Pro golfer Josh Younger 

Anyway for me being out of the game for 5 weeks i wasnt playing to bad  and pretty solid of the tee  and  my approach shots  and putting could have been better  but for a guy who only plays once a week and doesnt practice  i can't really complain.

will until next week the golf course is safe from my hacking

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 2

As they say: Rooster one day Feather Duster the next.

Wednesday Par Comp: Started well and felt confident in my swing, best ball striking I've done for a long time.

Even after 5 holes but three + 's followed by a wipe on the 9th left my at +2

Ball striking continued to be good, most of the time

Ended at +3 Which was enough to Win the day!

Thursday Comp: The others wanted to go early to get ahead of a group, so I missed my warm Up, hit three balls!

Wiped the first two holes then steadied to turn the corner with 16 points, Ball striking felt good again, mostly.

Hole 10, par 3, pin high left of the green, just missed my chip and two putted for 2 points.

Hole 11, par 4, Cracker of a drive into the wind, great approach, pin high 14' make the putt for Birdie, 4 points

And that was it! From there I hit some good shots and followed it up with crap, one point on each hole and one wipe. 

For a Very disappointing 28 points.

Golf

• Sad 2

Yeah, I do that in one round let alone one day to the next 🤣

For example, played like absolute rubbish yesterday but it was a best ball thing so it didn't matter too much and didn't affect the handicap. Nothing was really working, tee shots were erratic, short game was as bad as a beginner, and kept pushing and pulling putts off line. I think I had 26 points or whatever. 

Today the social club went to Maleny, which is a bit like a Scottish highland type course, complete with authentic pot bunkers with the walls, and while the tee shots were still a bit erratic they were a bit better, but it's also a course with not many trees so off the fairway didn't matter unless it went into the knee high Kikuyu. I lost 3 balls in that stuff. But my iron shots were better, short game was better and I putted better. I had 37 points off the social club handicap of 17, but I recorded it off my proper handicap for my own purposes. I quite enjoy this course, it's different to the usual up here, and it's fun playing some interesting shots on the greens with the more severe slopes they have. A couple of holes I deliberately hit it past the pin to let it roll back to it, including the birdie. Now if Google maps would update their satellite images 😂

1248783189_Screenshot_20220626-175547_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.3b89a9de0ac3c0b45c0b496a600aa85e.jpg

20220626_135223.thumb.jpg.e8f97c52f4a35c15b11dfcef03b28fba.jpg

20220626_140039.thumb.jpg.74610088289c0ca2a92533cd8e278f3a.jpg

• Like 3

Was meant to be monthly medal today but of course it had to rain again. It hasn't been heavy but it's been constant, and it is pretty much drizzle with maybe a shower here and there now. The course is still open but carts are off for today so it's just a regular Saturday Stableford, although the field is significantly smaller. I'll go have a hit anyway, it's still a handicap round and with it not being busy there shouldn't be any holdups. Good practice either way 👍

• Like 2

Shoulda stayed home, 24 points 😂 the conditions were pretty ordinary though, lots of chunks in the soft and soggy ground. On a positive note my chipping and putting was pretty good, 40% up and downs. Handicap again unaffected, holding at 13.9.

Back again tomorrow, this time off the whites so I'll be off 12, and one of the pros is in my group so that'll be interesting 👀

1012335389_Screenshot_20220702-172216_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.5cfc6e47c17627dda6bc3dfa3ea90036.jpg

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

After playing "rubbish" golf for about a month finally played fairly well today. 

Monthly Medal round, finished nett 75 so 2 over my handicap. Picked up the runner up in B Grade.

Pretty happy with my driving and sank some solid putts. Ended up 13th out of 81 players. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Shoulda stayed home, 24 points 😂 the conditions were pretty ordinary though, lots of chunks in the soft and soggy ground. On a positive note my chipping and putting was pretty good, 40% up and downs. Handicap again unaffected, holding at 13.9.

Back again tomorrow, this time off the whites so I'll be off 12, and one of the pros is in my group so that'll be interesting 👀

1012335389_Screenshot_20220702-172216_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.5cfc6e47c17627dda6bc3dfa3ea90036.jpg

I feel your pain Kelsey, I had 23 points last week.  The good thing is it can only get better. 

• Like 2

Stroke round:

Over all I felt better about this round, ball striking was better but not always accurate, left way too many putts just short leaving a two inch tap in. Ended with 77.

Felt I left a lot out there but it was a good day.

• Like 1

well  you thought the birthday gods would have rained on me for my 51st birthday yesterday

monthly medal round as well and played like a real spastic monkey   with a net score of 83

Greenkeeper came to me and said how good was my Pin positions today with a big cheeky grin  
I said yeah they are fairly easy you should have made them alot harder

The pin positions where in some dam difficult spots

wasnt a good day but i turn up again next saturday for a game of stroke and another board event  captains putter
my club do not really think about things they could have held the captains putter yesterdays medal round but nope they want 2 weeks of stroke

when we had clubbies  earlier there year we had 8 weeks of stroke

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, GregT5 said:

I feel your pain Kelsey, I had 23 points last week.  The good thing is it can only get better. 

It did get better today thankfully, and the course was surprisingly dry considering how soggy it was yesterday. 32 points today, and third place. Short game was better again, 58% up and downs and 28 putts for the round which included two 3 putts but ten 1 putts. Pretty good approach into the green on the pictured hole after turning my 3 wood into a 9 iron off the tee 🤣

I had a shaft fitting for new irons before the round as well, with some fancy gadget that attaches to the shaft of the 7-iron they use for it. According to this thing I was swinging it at 88mph, which isn't far below PGA tour average 😳 bit surprised at it to be honest. I know I swing faster than the average but I didn't think it was that quick. After the swing speed testing I hit a few balls with a demo 7 that I assume had a similar shaft to what I'll get and an AP2 head. First impressions were how much better it looked at address with the smaller head, and how light it felt to swing it compared to my current irons. Just felt so much easier to hit the ball, and the distance I was getting I suppose backs up the speed test results (150m+). I'm keen on the T100s but I'd like to have a hit with them first. Next step is to do the lie angle and whatnot. Excited to see how I go on course with proper fitted irons, I reckon I'll see improvement in greens hit and lower scores as a result. 

1484791292_Screenshot_20220703-145220_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.3eab4f87c3069184b2c42e42169d2cb1.jpg

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 3

Handicap dropped by 0.2 to a new low of 13.7 as well. 

That 88mph swing speed with a 7 iron was actually about my speed with a driver a couple of years ago. I suppose playing more often plus lessons to help build a better swing has helped speed it up. I wasn't trying to hit the cover off it either, just a nice firm strike.  

• Like 3