Coopers Community

confused by my heffer

terminal2k

so I went and tasted my preachers heffer last night. i brewed it with wb-06. the first taste I got a really strong flavour I can only describe as saison spiciness. is this normal for this beer, or yeast? has anyone else encountered it and will it go away with more time in the bottle? currently sitting at 14 days

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terminal2k said:

so I went and tasted my preachers heffer last night. i brewed it with wb-06. the first taste I got a really strong flavour I can only describe as saison spiciness. is this normal for this beer, or yeast? has anyone else encountered it and will it go away with more time in the bottle? currently sitting at 14 days

Traditionally, this yeast is meant for Bavarian style Hefeweizen, so you should get a taste of cloves, some people taste banana in this type of yeasts but at best, there is a hint IMHO. So the spiciness you are tasting may be right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Traditionally, this yeast is meant for Bavarian style Hefeweizen, so you should get a taste of cloves, some people taste banana in this type of yeasts but at best, there is a hint IMHO. So the spiciness you are tasting may be right. 

Have you tried commercially available versions of Bavarois Heffer @terminal2k at all as a frame of reference T2k?  e.g. Weihenstephan or Paulaner or Franziskaner (plenty others yes) --> they are usually are a little more available.  Wheat Beers including Bavarian Heffers are a very different flavour profile to other standard beers and I have a cuppla good mates that just don't like the Heffer at all.... each to their own I guess.

I agree w my Bavarian expert @Aussiekraut AK...  there should be a little spiciness there - tart spiciness sorta thang.... ; )

I liken it a little to the spicy tart flavours that you get with Coopers Sparkling Ale AKA Coopers Red...  In the big world of yeast impact I think that the brew outcomes from Heffer : ) Weizen yeast is a little more like Coopers Red Yeast than the more benign traditional Ale and then even more benign Lager Yeasts.

@Greenyinthewestofsydney Greeny you there mate?  Now mate you are the Yeast King : )  ....so.... What are your thoughts on the flavours thrown by a good Heffer Yeast?

I think in general that I favour Lally Dry Munich Classic Heffer over W3068 Liquid Heffer and them both over WB06...  but I have used WB06 and plenty others have as well... 

Hopefully all shall come good T2k @terminal2k and in general things do improve with a bit more cool-ish time in the bottle for some bottle-conditioning HTH ; )

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Have you tried commercially available versions of Bavarois Heffer @terminal2k at all as a frame of reference T2k?  e.g. Weihenstephan or Paulaner or Franziskaner (plenty others yes) --> they are usually are a little more available.  Wheat Beers including Bavarian Heffers are a very different flavour profile to other standard beers and I have a cuppla good mates that just don't like the Heffer at all.... each to their own I guess.

I agree w my Bavarian expert @Aussiekraut AK...  there should be a little spiciness there - tart spiciness sorta thang.... ; )

I liken it a little to the spicy tart flavours that you get with Coopers Sparkling Ale AKA Coopers Red...  In the big world of yeast impact I think that the brew outcomes from Heffer : ) Weizen yeast is a little more like Coopers Red Yeast than the more benign traditional Ale and then even more benign Lager Yeasts.

@Greenyinthewestofsydney Greeny you there mate?  Now mate you are the Yeast King : )  ....so.... What are your thoughts on the flavours thrown by a good Heffer Yeast?

I think in general that I favour Lally Dry Munich Classic Heffer over W3068 Liquid Heffer and them both over WB06...  but I have used WB06 and plenty others have as well... 

Hopefully all shall come good T2k @terminal2k and in general things do improve with a bit more cool-ish time in the bottle for some bottle-conditioning HTH ; )

Hey mate. Yeah still kicking. I gave up with WB06. Its on the never to use again list with S23 and BRY97. Used it 4 or 5 times trying to get the elusive banana. Underpitched. Changed temps. Nothing worked. It was more clovey type but not what I would say spicey like a saison. 

@terminal2k I would use Munich as the others have said next time. It's more representative of the commercial wheat Beers.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Weihenstephan or Paulaner or Franziskaner

i must have had at least a hundred franziskaners over the years, also more than 10 of the other two brands you mention, so I believe I have a pretty good idea what they should taste like. the flavour isn't bad, it's just very much not what I was expecting. I'll revisit it in a couple more weeks, it's just annoying because I only have a few bottles left besides this batch

9 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

I gave up with WB06. Its on the never to use again list with S23 and BRY97

thats interesting to know.  I just picked a yeast off the descriptions in the yeast website. the only yeast I've really used before is us05 a few times (besides top of can yeast).  This would be around my 10th batch. I'm wondering now if any of you guys have a list of preferred yeasts for each different style of beer (and cider). also knowing which yeasts you avoid like the above would be awesome.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, terminal2k said:

I'm wondering now if any of you guys have a list of preferred yeasts for each different style of beer (and cider). also knowing which yeasts you avoid like the above would be awesome.

Yeasts to avoid is a lot about personal preference and experience with that yeast in your own brewery. 

I am wary of S-04 because it has stalled on me a few times.  Mind you, I probably let it get too cool toward the end of fermentation.  Yet plenty of people are very happy with S-04.

I tend to stay away from WB-06, but only because I think Munich Classic does Wheat beers better.  Having said that, I have a packet of WB-06 that I will use.  It still produces a good beer, just not as good as other wheat yeasts - in my personal opinion.

I am not yet sold on Kveik Voss.  I have done a few beers with it now that all came out as hazy as.  Yet others produce outstandingly clear beers with it.  If I was after a hazy beer, I would be happy.  I must do something in my process that is different to others.

• Like 3

I'll add S-23 lager yeast here as well, for me this has been the worst yeast I've used to date. Stalled numerous times, and doesn't drop to the bottom of the bottles - rather has fluffly floaties. Maybe just my processes not sure but hasn't ever happened with the majestic beautiful Dubbya. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, terminal2k said:

I'm wondering now if any of you guys have a list of preferred yeasts for each different style of beer (and cider).

Pretty basic summary below seem to work ok w my AG rainwater beers:

W34/70 for Lagers Pilsners cold ferments (or as @Mickep Mick has nicely coined MBD - Majestic Beautiful Dubbya 👍 you ok with that new Term for Dubbya @MitchBastard Mitchie?)

Lally Munich Classic for Heffers (Bavarian Hefeweizen)

Lally London Ale Yeast for Pommy ESB and Ol' Pec Styles

Lally Verdant for IPA/NEIPA ish styles

US05 me old mate for everything else warm (18deg) temp ferment Aley-ish styles and pseudo-Lagers cos it lets the malt do the talkin' 

There's a few for a start - there are many others and everyone has their own prefs ; )

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 1/19/2022 at 9:11 PM, terminal2k said:

thats interesting to know.  I just picked a yeast off the descriptions in the yeast website. the only yeast I've really used before is us05 a few times (besides top of can yeast).  This would be around my 10th batch. I'm wondering now if any of you guys have a list of preferred yeasts for each different style of beer (and cider). also knowing which yeasts you avoid like the above would be awesome.

As others have said a lot is personal preference but my take on it using just dry yeast is as follows

My opinion only!!!

Euro or asian style Lager - W34/70 

Aussie lager - S189

American Pale ale - Verdant IPA yeast ( the only dry yeast that has ever made me say WOW!!)

American IPA  - Verdant IPA yeast

English pale ale or IPA - S04. Many hate this yeast but if you pitch and hold at 20c you get no problems and an awesome beer

Wheat - Lally Munich

Kolsch - lally Koln

Saison - Belle Saison

Belgian blond - lally abbaye ( ferment coolish )

Belgian Trappist style - abbaye ( ferment warmer ) 

All rounder yeast ( good at all and great at none ) - Nottingham or Kviek Voss

Banned list

S23 - produces a fruity and estery lager. Sorry like my lagers clean and crisp. Used it 3 times from memory and they were all terrible to my taste buds

BRY97 - takes forever to get going and not up to the taste of any other clean ale yeast 

WB06 - a big pile of Meh. Drinkable wheat beers but no character whatsoever

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

thanks for the yeast info to those that posted. thought I'd provide an update on the beer. I'd planned to leave it a couple of weeks before opening another one but one of my mates came over and wanted to try it, and in just four days the weird flavour had mellowed out significantly. I can still taste it but I think a lot of that is because I remember the taste from the other day so I was looking for it. My mate said it was one of my better beers and he works for a pretty decent sized brewery so it can't be that bad.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

As others have said a lot is personal preference but my take on it using just dry yeast is as follows

My opinion only!!!

Euro or asian style Lager - W34/70 

Aussie lager - S189

American Pale ale - Verdant IPA yeast ( the only dry yeast that has ever made me say WOW!!)

American IPA  - Verdant IPA yeast

English pale ale or IPA - S04. Many hate this yeast but if you pitch and hold at 20c you get no problems and an awesome beer

Wheat - Lally Munich

Kolsch - lally Koln

Saison - Belle Saison

Belgian blond - lally abbaye ( ferment coolish )

Belgian Trappist style - abbaye ( ferment warmer ) 

All rounder yeast ( good at all and great at none ) - Nottingham or Kviek Voss

Banned list

S23 - produces a fruity and estery lager. Sorry like my lagers clean and crisp. Used it 3 times from memory and they were all terrible to my taste buds

BRY97 - takes forever to get going and not up to the taste of any other clean ale yeast 

WB06 - a big pile of Meh. Drinkable wheat beers but no character whatsoever

Thanks Greeny mate, S 189 for an Aussie lager eh? Thank you, must try.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

I think this is a difficult question meself - but @Shamus O'Sean Shamus what difference would you suggest would be between S-189 which I would like to try - and the ol' Dubbya?

You are right IP.  I cannot pin-point a difference between these two yeasts.  All I can say was that the S-189 fermented beer tasted good.  But so do beers fermented with Dubbya.  A Brulosophy experiment a while ago came to the same conclusion: Not much difference between the two yeasts.

I have used S-189 in the above-mentioned Mitch's Aussie Lager and a Stella Artois clone.  Both brews were great and well received by other drinkers.

• Like 5

On 1/21/2022 at 4:22 PM, disgruntled said:

MJs M44 is probably the same and equally similar to cow manure

I've got a brew on at the moment that came with the M44. This is the first time I've used it.

10 days or so @ 20C and it was still going. Upped the temperature and it's fermenting a bit better now. But slow as.

I was going to re use this yeast on a Cider kit I have here, as the yeast that comes with the Cider kit is slow too.

Obviously not worth it.

• Sad 2