Coopers Community

Nubie question about first ever brew.

Space

This is the first ever time I've brewed beer and I'm using a 23ltr plastic bin and a Coopers Lager kit - and the 1kg of brewing sugar that came i the box.  I've used a 25watt heat pad and multi layered insulation around it (old T shirts and a jumper).  The bin is sat in my home office and I work from home so it's been babysat and has been kept at 26-28 centigrade.

It's been going for (checks watch) 76 hours and after just over 3 days after "blooping" every 10 seconds it has now gone silent and the level in the airlock is now level.

Should it have finished already?  Have I done something really really right or something really really wrong?

• Like 6

Hey @Space welcome to the forum. 

Yep it’s probably finished, or close to it. Take a hydrometer reading to measure the specific gravity. Leave it for a couple more days and take another reading. If the two readings are the same it’s ready to bottle. 
I would say the reason it finished so quickly (apparently) is because the temperature is high. 26-28 is a bit too hot. Try to keep the temperature around 18-20 degrees C for ales (the yeast you used with the lager kit is an ale yeast) and between 12-15 degrees C for lagers. 

You’ve made your first batch of beer. Awesome. Welcome to the show Spaceman 👍🍻

Edited by Tone boy
  • Like 6

I'd say the temperature is pretty wrong... It should be about 6-8 degrees cooler than that. Check it with a hydrometer to confirm but it's probably finished. They go quicker if they're warmer. It'll probably taste like cider too. 

Pretty much the experience of most first time brewers 😜🤣

NExt time I'd suggest ditching the brewing sugar in favour of something with more malt in it like be3, and ferment it around 20 degrees. 

• Like 5

3 days is a little short. Take a sample and check the temp with the hydrometer. That's the ultimate authority in telling you if the beer is finished. Airlock activity does cease after the most vigorous stage of fermentation finished but there is still stuff going on. What I am worried about is the temperature. 26 is a bit on the high side, 28 certainly is, at least with the kit yeasts. The yeast in the lager can is actually an ale yeast, so it feels most comfortable between 18 and 21. Try to keep it below 24, to avoid off flavours thrown by the yeast. 

So take a sample and see where it is at.

• Like 3

Thanks for getting advice.  I'll remove the heating and it will have to take its chances at whatever December room temperature becomes.  Where do I go from here?  Give it dome more time yhen chill it for a week before bottling?  Will it still be drinkable?  Or shall I start again?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Space said:

Thanks for getting advice.  I'll remove the heating and it will have to take its chances at whatever December room temperature becomes.  Where do I go from here?  Give it dome more time yhen chill it for a week before bottling?  Will it still be drinkable?  Or shall I start again?

Welcome Space,

As all the others have said your Ales need to be brewed somewhere between 18degC and 20degC. Maintaining a constant temp is important. This is usually done using a fermenting fridge (second hand cheapy) along with a Temperature controller and a heat pad or belt. You can find used fridges for next to nothing on any of the selling platforms or if You're lucky even score one from friends or Reli's. The temp controller of choice seems to be the Inkbird 308 wifi model, Google is your friend with this. Once you've got this set up in place you'll find your beers will be a lot better tasting.  

Your beer should be okay to drink but as OVB has said it'll most likely taste a bit on the cidery side......the 1kg of sugar will do that. Try and use malt extract next time instead of the sugar or something like the Coopers BE3 which is sold at Big W.

Let us know how it all goes mate, good luck with the brewing and welcome to the forum.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Space said:

I don't think you'll need to start again. Your beer should be drinkable. Most of the advice given already is sound advice and will help you improve your beers in the future. Once you've tried this beer and if you think it's OK, I know your subsequent beers will only get better with your growing knowledge.
Do you have a hydrometer? This will tell you if fermentation has finished. If you have that information confirmed you can bottle immediately if you wish. Many brewers do the "cold crash" once fermentation has ceased and then bottle or keg it. Can we assume you have a fridge large enough to hold the fermenting vessel?
Out of curiosity, what's your location? A heat pad this time of year may or may not be required depending on the climate you're in.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I don't think you'll need to start again. Your beer should be drinkable. Most of the advice given already is sound advice and will help you improve your beers in the future. Once you've tried this beer and if you think it's OK, I know your subsequent beers will only get better with your growing knowledge.
Do you have a hydrometer? This will tell you if fermentation has finished. If you have that information confirmed you can bottle immediately if you wish. Many brewers do the "cold crash" once fermentation has ceased and then bottle or keg it. Can we assume you have a fridge large enough to hold the fermenting vessel?
Out of curiosity, what's your location? A heat pad this time of year may or may not be required depending on the climate you're in.

My location?  I'm UK based so it's frickin' cold and wet at the moment.  I'm going to look for a good second hand fridge and a controller.  As alluded to above, free or cheap fridges fall out of the sky if you're prepared to wait.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Space said:

look don't lose hope   , you have made beer

have a sip of the sample you take  , if it tastes good   keep going with it  if its not tasting good  then drain it and start again

i would be more inclined to bottle and condition it  before ditching

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Space said:

My location?  I'm UK based so it's frickin' cold and wet at the moment.  I'm going to look for a good second hand fridge and a controller.  As alluded to above, free or cheap fridges fall out of the sky if you're prepared to wait.

A heat pad makes a lot of sense then. 🙂 It's currently 32C here in Adelaide, Sth Aust. Hence my enquiry.
Good luck with the first brew. You won't need luck with brews after this one because you'll be a skilled brewer by then. 😉 

• Like 2

Hi Space, I did exactly the same thing on my first attempt..... Although the instructions printed on the label,that says temp should be between 21°-27°c, this is not right!

Follow this forum instructions, and everything will be better!!! I did it myself,and I realize I improve with every brew I take.

My first production was undrinkable,but it was the kickoff for this wonderful journey!!!!

And remember, as someone said on this forum: "ask twice,brew once"

Regards

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Space,

As mentioned by others, a tad warm. But don't worry. It will be almost completed now. It's common for a lot of very active fermenting for about 3 days, but then it slows down for another 2 or 3.

Personally I no longer use a hydrometer.  Just brew for 7 or 8 days then bottle it. Shee'll be right mate

• Like 3

Sound advice all around. You in good company Spaceman. As @ozdevil said, you have made beer sir! That's the best part. The first one is almost never exactly what we dreamed of, but it's the base for your future brews. Every brew I learn something, whether big or small! Don't tip it. Let it sit in the bottles for 2 or 3 weeks MINIMUM before first taste. Cheers mate

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldbloke said:

Hi Space,

As mentioned by others, a tad warm. But don't worry. It will be almost completed now. It's common for a lot of very active fermenting for about 3 days, but then it slows down for another 2 or 3.

Personally I no longer use a hydrometer.  Just brew for 7 or 8 days then bottle it. Shee'll be right mate

Hydrometers?  Who the hell invented them?  They're the most unreadable measuring device I've ever encountered.  Surely in the 21st century there should be something that is easier to use (and not expensive).

• Like 2

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.    I can empty out the second fridge we use for soft drinks and my bucket *should* just about fit inside it so I'll give it a few more days then fridge it for a week.   There was some finings in the bundle that arrived with the kit so I'll give those a go once it gets cold.

I guess beer is beer.  I'll bottle it, drink it, and if the taste isn't quite right that will be my punishment and my motivation to get the next one right.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Space said:

Hydrometers?  Who the hell invented them?  They're the most unreadable measuring device I've ever encountered.  Surely in the 21st century there should be something that is easier to use (and not expensive).

for $70 bucks when they come in stock  theres a thing from kegland called  "The pill"  something similar to the  "Tilt hydrometer"  just not as expensive as the tilt

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Space said:

I would disagree with that, you need to measure the gravity to ensure the bottles can be stored without the risk of explosion or maybe worse, flat beer. 😒

Near enough ain't good enough.

That's my opinion.

• Like 3

I have a glass hydrometer that I've had since Methuselah was in nappies, it works great but it is difficult to read. I sip the foam off the top of the test tube, twirl it, gently up and down it then grab my magnifying glass and a torch and wait for that line to rotate around under the number. That's provided the damn thing doesn't decide to stick to the side of the test tube.

Necessary yes, but I agree they can be a PITA.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Frosty Chop said:

I have a glass hydrometer that I've had since Methuselah was in nappies, it works great but it is difficult to read. I sip the foam off the top of the test tube, twirl it, gently up and down it then grab my magnifying glass and a torch and wait for that line to rotate around under the number. That's provided the damn thing doesn't decide to stick to the side of the test tube.

Necessary yes, but I agree they can be a PITA.

I've recently been holding the hydrometer at eye level and constantly making the nessasary adjustments needed to keep it level and floating in middle thats then my reading

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Space said:

I guess beer is beer.  I'll bottle it, drink it, and if the taste isn't quite right that will be my punishment and my motivation to get the next one right.

another good tip is start your second one as soon as you've cleaned up and bottled your first.

• Like 2

I've found some guides about using a fridge with a temperature controller and a heater but they look like people are making a lot of hard work for themselves, cutting through panels and wiring up new sockets inside the fridge etc.  Do you need to do that crap?  Or can you just stick the heatpad wire and the temperature sensor wire for the controller through the door seal somewhere discreet and call it a day on the mod front?

Edited by Space