Coopers Community

BIAB question

stquinto

7 hours ago, stquinto said:

The kettle turned up yesterday. No internal scale, but by chance 9 litres is 9cm up a metal ruler, 18 litres = 18cm etc. Handy that 😄

The max is 23 litres, according to the line in it. 
Be giving it a spin tomorrow, after determining my boil-loss. 
Cheers for all of your tips 👍 I’d invite you for one or a dozen of the end result but it’s a bit far 🤪

Hmmm' some of you blokes are starting to get really in to it, I feel like I am lagging a bit with the extracts while are out buying up all of the nice shiny stuff, I will have to pull my finger out.

Good to see @stquinto I hope it all goes well for you.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hmmm' some of you blokes are starting to get really in to it, I feel like I am lagging a bit with the extracts while are out buying up all of the nice shiny stuff, I will have to pull my finger out.

Cheers.

NOOOOO! Step back from the edge there Classic! They TELL you it's safe but we'll never see you again!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers.

I’ve still got some extract cans to use up, even though I’ve officially turned to the dark side @Classic Brewing Co🤣

Edited by Red devil 44
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

the Dark side yeah yeah but its where all the cool kids hangout

you will love doing all grain mate  the world is your oyster now

Yeah @ozdevilI’m just racking to a fermenter now as I cubed it overnight to cool down.

Cant wait until tasting time, I shall post a pic and my comments at the tasting.

• Like 5

Just now, Red devil 44 said:

Yeah @ozdevilI’m just racking to a fermenter now as I cubed it overnight to cool down.

Cant wait until tasting time, I shall post a pic and my comments at the tasting.

would have been good to see some pics of your 1st brew day using the digiboil  but looking forward to seeing your 1st brew just the same

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

would have been good to see some pics of your 1st brew day using the digiboil  but looking forward to seeing your 1st brew just the same

Yeah @ozdevilI didn’t really take any as I was concentrating on getting things right, plus doing washing at the same time. ‘Will take some on second BIAB brew day.

‘The only negative I found with it was even though I dialled the temp to 100 degrees for the boil, it only reached 98 degrees.

‘Yet I had a perfect rolling boil and upon dropping a digital thermometer into the boil it was 100.5 degrees, so some further investigating is required. 🤔🤔

Edited by Red devil 44
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yeah @ozdevilI didn’t really take any as I was concentrating on getting things right, plus doing washing at the same time. ‘Will take some on second BIAB brew day.

‘The only negative I found with it was even though I dialled the temp to 100 degrees for the boil, it only reached 98 degrees.

‘Yet I had a perfect rolling boil and upon dropping a digital thermometer into the boil it was 100.5 degrees, so some further investigating is required. 🤔🤔

there is away of calibrating the digiboils   

if you managed to get a good rolling boil then ya really have no concern 

you might want to consider a brewzilla 35 jacket for the digiboil for some insulation  as the bz 35 are exactly the same size as the digiboil 35l
this will help hold heat and get you to a great boil

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

there is away of calibrating the digiboils   

if you managed to get a good rolling boil then ya really have no concern 

you might want to consider a brewzilla 35 jacket for the digiboil for some insulation  as the bz 35 are exactly the same size as the digiboil 35l
this will help hold heat and get you to a great boil

Thanks @ozdevil, I shall look at that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

@Red devil 44 I would not worry too much about that as its not an exact science anyway as you gear does not have altitude compensation built into it.  You may be able to set up an off set in the programming to suit if you really wanted to.

As you would know water boils at 100 c at mean sea level on a 1013 hpa day so if you are up a hill or on a range then the boil temp will be lower.  A low pressure weather system sitting over the top of you will lower it again, a high pressure weather system will raise it so as you can see it will vary slightly from day to day at your home altitude.

My Nano 70 L always boils at about 98 C indicated and I am about 100 m above sea level.  Don't stress, if it got to a rolling boil that's all you need.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

As you would know water boils at 100 c at mean sea level on a 1013 hpa day so if you are up a hill or on a range then the boil temp will be lower.  A low pressure weather system sitting over the top of you will lower it again, a high pressure weather system will raise it so as you can see it will vary slightly from day to day at your home altitude.

AG brewers... 😄

339963-Cauldron-Witch.gif

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

@Red devil 44 I would not worry too much about that as its not an exact science anyway as you gear does not have altitude compensation built into it.  You may be able to set up an off set in the programming to suit if you really wanted to.

My Nano 70 L always boils at about 98 C indicated and I am about 100 m above sea level.  Don't stress, if it got to a rolling boil that's all you need.

Cheers @iBooz2, good points you made there.

‘It’s was a German Kolsch which has just been pitched, it looks very dark for a Kolsch, maybe it will lighten up when the fermentation process kicks in. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Well that was a bit of a non-starter 🤬

First try of the grain gorilla mill with two rollers, one of which is fixed. Nothing coming out of the bottom! The grains just bounce around and none get crushed. 
Bloody rubbish or else I’m doing something wrong. Not my day today 😳😡

B4E684F4-2C14-4A9B-B868-6B53A9E7C37F.jpeg

45A1F56F-B223-40A2-A98A-DF839B5EDE59.jpeg

23 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Well that was a bit of a non-starter 🤬

First try of the grain gorilla mill with two rollers, one of which is fixed. Nothing coming out of the bottom! The grains just bounce around and none get crushed. 
Bloody rubbish or else I’m doing something wrong. Not my day today 😳😡

B4E684F4-2C14-4A9B-B868-6B53A9E7C37F.jpeg

45A1F56F-B223-40A2-A98A-DF839B5EDE59.jpeg

what have you got your grain mill set at

credit card thickness  is a good starting point
you dont need to smash the grain  for  all in one vessels or 3 vessel systems
you just need to crack the grain  with the husk  basicly intact but split to allow  your brew water to get in to get into the enzymes,
BIAB  can go a bit finer as your not  really going to sparge your just  pulling the grain straight out after mash out
unless you plan t do a bit of sparge  

David Heath explains this  bit better then myself  and here s a a video of his to help you

Also using a drill is not necessarily used to speed the process of milling , just basicly saving you hand winding
you want to the drill set on the lowest setting possible just enough to turn the mill over...

when setting up your mill, my advice  is to  do it with a  couple of handfuls of grain   

its better to waste a little amount of grain to a lot of grain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

Bloody rubbish or else I’m doing something wrong. Not my day today

Are you turning the rollers in the right direction? They need to roll inwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@ozdevil @Hairy @Shamus O'Sean @Bribie G thanks fellas for all your points. The drill is in forward, with it turning the active roller towards the static one. Maybe the teeth aren’t sharp enough. Maybe I could dampen the grain as in the video @ozdevil sent. Regardless of the settings (I’ve tried them all) the grain isn’t coming through. It’s a pilsner BTW. 
Back to the drawing board, but I will get the b@stard to work, dammit 😡

Mate when you say active roller vs static roller, do you mean that :

1. One roller is able to be adjusted for gap and the other isn't, or:

2. One roller is rolling and the other is just sitting there and not rolling?

If the second, then the mill sounds like it's not working as both rollers need to be happening. 

• Thanks 1

@stquinto , with the drill un-attached and no grain in the mill you should be able to roll each of the rollers around by pushing them with your fingers (be careful but).  If you cannot roll one of them with your fingers then it may have something jammed in it behind the scenes, like a grain or several grains.  Check it and see please then try the drill again an as OD suggests just a handful of grains and start the drill off as slow as you can then pour the handful in and see if it operates both rollers.

Check the adjusting screws/bolts are not done up too tight and locking that one adjustable roller.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1