Coopers Community

BIAB question

stquinto

2 hours ago, stquinto said:

Regardless of the settings (I’ve tried them all) the grain isn’t coming through. It’s a pilsner BTW. 

did you undo the  locking screws that holds the rollers in place

simply turning the setting knob wont adjust the rollers   as they are often are locked in by 2 locking screws   that come in from the side of the roller
i have pointed it out in the picture    1 either end

once you have undone them    you can then adjust the setting knob to thickness you want

squinto.thumb.jpg.8d2086ebb61b72d9c2e13c967d91e6e4.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bribie G said:

Mate when you say active roller vs static roller, do you mean that :

1. One roller is able to be adjusted for gap and the other isn't, or:

2. One roller is rolling and the other is just sitting there and not rolling?

If the second, then the mill sounds like it's not working as both rollers need to be happening. 

Cheers mate, one of them isn’t moving. I’ll contact the manufacturer by email and after work take it apart. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Cheers mate, one of them isn’t moving. I’ll contact the manufacturer by email and after work take it apart. 

your not getting much joy from this  Mill are you

Its got be the mill settings as to why  you cant get the both rollers to work with grain in them

as only 1 roller would spin with out grain..

Hopefully the manufacturer can help you out    

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

your not getting much joy from this  Mill are you

Its got be the mill settings as to why  you cant get the both rollers to work with grain in them

as only 1 roller would spin with out grain..

Hopefully the manufacturer can help you out    

Chhers mate ! I just emailed them to find out if both are supposed to turn. Funny though cos even out of the box, before putting grain near it, one of them didn't turn. I reckon I'll end up getting the one made in Oz with the different style rollers, but postage to here is a bit much 😭

21 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Chhers mate ! I just emailed them to find out if both are supposed to turn. Funny though cos even out of the box, before putting grain near it, one of them didn't turn. I reckon I'll end up getting the one made in Oz with the different style rollers, but postage to here is a bit much 😭

if i could afford a mill master with the flutes  i would be purchasing one  

alot of people swear by the mill masters  

anyway i wish you luck  with the manufacturer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just threw together a timber frame from some off cuts I had to stand the Digiboil at the correct height so I can pull the bag once mash is complete, had to offset the timber to pick up the rubber mounts underneath the Digiboil.
Plus a pic of my lifting assembly, yes it’s a come along and a tad over engineered to lift a grain bag, but hey i am a tradie, and have 2 of them in my workshop. 😂😂😂😂🍻🍻🍻🍻

17D17C3C-8D36-46DF-B830-570154CFE0F3.jpeg

260919C0-A8D5-4604-8302-4E83B6CC8224.jpeg

1A8B7D66-8A24-4F73-94C2-03E5360671A5.jpeg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

ust threw together a timber frame from some off cuts I had to stand the Digiboil at the correct height so I can pull the bag once mash is complete, had to offset the timber to pick up the rubber mounts underneath the Digiboil.
Plus a pic of my lifting assembly, yes it’s a come along and a tad over engineered to lift a grain bag, but hey i am a tradie, and have 2 of them in my workshop. 😂😂😂😂🍻🍻🍻🍻

Awesome RD, take the rest of the day off, you have done well Grasshopper. 🦗

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

@stquinto ,  any joy with the rollers mate?

@iBooz2 mate, I emailed them and they said to loosen the screws holding the roller. I can’t quite see how as there aren’t any screws just the adjustment knobs.After a good clean I’ll get back to them or send it back, chucked out the box though, bit of a b*gger 😳

My yeast starter is going to have to go though, been sitting there a week…

5 hours ago, stquinto said:

@iBooz2 mate, I emailed them and they said to loosen the screws holding the roller. I can’t quite see how as there aren’t any screws just the adjustment knobs.After a good clean I’ll get back to them or send it back, chucked out the box though, bit of a b*gger 😳

My yeast starter is going to have to go though, been sitting there a week…

Hey sorry only just saw your post I had the same issue you need to make sure the lines on the adjustment knobs are pointing upwards as in so they are visible against the width numbers/scale on the mill. I nearly threw my mill over the back fence as it wouldn’t take the grain through I was like wtf, then I realised the lines on the dial were pointing down and not visible. Hope that makes sense. If you can’t see the lines they are up the wrong way. Hope that helps and is the cause. When the dial was upside down only one roller would turn as well as soon as the dial was pointing in the right direction boom the grains went through and started crushing again with both rollers spinning.

Edited by RDT2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Hey sorry only just saw your post I had the same issue you need to make sure the lines on the adjustment knobs are pointing upwards as in so they are visible against the width numbers/scale on the mill. I nearly threw my mill over the back fence as it wouldn’t take the grain through I was like wtf, then I realised the lines on the dial were pointing down and not visible. Hope that makes sense. If you can’t see the lines they are up the wrong way. Hope that helps and is the cause. When the dial was upside down only one roller would turn as well as soon as the dial was pointing in the right direction boom the grains went through and started crushing again with both rollers spinning.

Cheers mate, will check it out. Ther bloke from the customer service asked for a video so I'll send him one. Rather not have the hassle of sending it back, already put my brewing schedule off by a cuppla weekend...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Cheers mate, will check it out. Ther bloke from the customer service asked for a video so I'll send him one. Rather not have the hassle of sending it back, already put my brewing schedule off by a cuppla weekend...

Mine I was looking at the rollers when adjusting and obviously turned the dials upside down without realising and then the grain stopped feeding through. Stuffed my day up and didn’t have time to do my brew day as a result. 

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Mine I was looking at the rollers when adjusting and obviously turned the dials upside down without realising and then the grain stopped feeding through. Stuffed my day up and didn’t have time to do my brew day as a result. 

Hoping it's going to be a "doh" moment...🤦‍♂️

• Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 8:01 AM, iBooz2 said:

@stquinto ,  any joy with the rollers mate?

On 10/13/2021 at 3:12 PM, RDT2 said:

I had the same issue you need to make sure the lines on the adjustment knobs

@iBooz2 @RDT2 fellas, looking a bit more promising 👍

The hopper was jamming the second roller … I took it off and it worked fine.

I bent the hopper a bit, put it back in, and tried some grain: the roller spun away like Rumplestiltskin spinning hay into gold 😉

Felt positively churlish to hook it up to the leccy drill. Need a miller’s daughter to help me out. Alright, alright, I should get out more…

I can go for my first batch at the weekend. Dunno whether to go for a half Duvel batch (I’d have to get the yeast starter going tonight), an Old Perc, or a Sam Adams. 

What do you reckon for the crush on this - too fine or ok for BIAB?

Thanks for  all if your help fellas! Now onto customer service with a photo of the edge of the hopper - all chewed up from frotting against the roller. 

Deffo a 🤦‍♂️ moment

C1D64F2E-0017-4A0A-9540-88724ADCF51B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, stquinto said:

@iBooz2 @RDT2 fellas, looking a bit more promising 👍

The hopper was jamming the second roller … I took it off and it worked fine.

I bent the hopper a bit, put it back in, and tried some grain: the roller spun away like Rumplestiltskin spinning hay into gold 😉

@stquinto , Ar hah I see the problem.  Should've known as I had a similar issue with my hopper (different model but).

You need to assemble the hopper with parts marked A and B INSIDE the right angle folds of parts C and D.

The aluminium is 1.6 mm thick so re-fitting the hopper as I say above will give you 3.2 mm extra clearance and will solve your problem.

I have drawn a rough wonky line on the pic below to represent part B sitting inside the folds. (sorry its early in the morning over here and my mouse hand was not too steady ha ha).

See web pic of grain gorilla hopper seam to see what I am trying to say.

Grain Mill problem fix.jpg

Grain gorilla hopper.PNG

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@stquinto , In order to get part's A and B inside the folds of C and D you need to transpose C and D as they are on the wrong sides.  In other words C should be were D is and D should be were C is.

Sorry I should have included this earlier as well so it makes more sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@iBooz2 mate, you saved me an embarrassing email exchange with the customer service ! I owe you a couple 👍

Just took the hopper apart and put it back together like you suggested - prefect fit. The bottom lips of the hopper are there to feed the grain right in the middle of the rollers - I thought they were there to hold it in the sides 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Talk about a RTFM* problem

* Read The F@*king Manual

Thanks heaps 👍DCCFD23C-3F6A-45CC-8572-E1DE4F507331.thumb.jpeg.c99db9105d9847352dfd015f81325733.jpegB76E6C75-E21A-4B22-975F-E0F287146AAF.thumb.jpeg.d0ae4c799019918e0f001f83968f539c.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

@iBooz2 mate, you saved me an embarrassing email exchange with the customer service ! I owe you a couple 👍

Just took the hopper apart and put it back together like you suggested - prefect fit. The bottom lips of the hopper are there to feed the grain right in the middle of the rollers - I thought they were there to hold it in the sides 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Talk about a RTFM* problem

* Read The F@*king Manual

Thanks heaps 👍DCCFD23C-3F6A-45CC-8572-E1DE4F507331.thumb.jpeg.c99db9105d9847352dfd015f81325733.jpegB76E6C75-E21A-4B22-975F-E0F287146AAF.thumb.jpeg.d0ae4c799019918e0f001f83968f539c.jpeg

so problem solved and now cracking grain yeah?

hope you get some good  sugars now from your cracked grain you did yourself

take notes of your setting and how your crush went  ,  next time you may have to make adjustments to the settings

also some grain can be smaller or larger  when crushing in the lot   at the same time  

anyway enjoy   milling mate 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, stquinto said:

C1D64F2E-0017-4A0A-9540-88724ADCF51B.jpeg

By the way, that grain crush looks good.  Pretty much no fines, or maybe it has drifted toward the bottom.

I use a Grainfather that recirculates the wort.  I usually go a bit finer on my crush.  My mill is set on 0.045 inch.  I will inspect the first handful or two.  If I can easily crack or crush the seemingly whole grains in my finger, then I call it good.  The BIABers on here might confirm, but I think you can go finer for BIAB than for recirculating systems.

It's funny with the issues you were having.  When I looked at the original pictures, my Spidey senses pricked up and I did wonder why the sides of the hopper seemed to be bowed inward a little bit rather than straight.  Glad you have sorted it out though.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ozdevil said:

so problem solved and now cracking grain yeah?

hope you get some good  sugars now from your cracked grain you did yourself

take notes of your setting and how your crush went  ,  next time you may have to make adjustments to the settings

also some grain can be smaller or larger  when crushing in the lot   at the same time  

anyway enjoy   milling mate 

Cheers mate, will be getting a brew on this weekend. I think I'll go for an Old Peculier to start with. Will let you all know how it went.

@ozdevil @iBooz2 @Shamus O'Sean @RDT2 @Bribie G @Aussiekraut @Journeyman @Classic Brewing Co

thanks to all for your advice - looking forward to a new chapter in brewing (not sure how many in the household will be... "what's that awful stink ?" etc.)

Ha ha ha ! They can always move out 🤣

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, stquinto said:

(not sure how many in the household will be... "what's that awful stink ?" etc.)

I've heard from a couple of guys about the difference between how the brewer feels about the smell of brewing grains and how others in the house feels. SWMBO tends to stay in her office while I brew but I think it smells great! 😄

• Haha 1

Just now, Shamus O'Sean said:

They do not mind the mashing process.  Say is smells like a cross between a bakery and a lolly factory.

When the hops go in, though, they head for the hills.

Sounds about right 🤣

My delightful offspring only appear out of their bedrooms to ask what's for dinner, so if I'm brewing I say "hop soup"...

• Haha 2