Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

Thanks to all for earlier coaching on Pommes Frites hot potato chips and @Classic Brewing Co Phil for some timely advice last night - my first proper go at cooking chips - and what memory remains was that they were absolutely taschty taschty.... hit some heavy weather between the shot below and plating up my beautiful Burger n Chips and obviously was unable to take a photo or just plain forgot in amongst all the excitement 🥳

image.png.677352995b60cb61083895b36724047d.png

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

Dead simple tonight: Thai green curry paste and coconut milk , with chicken and some veggies. I went for a simple version of Phil’s timbale, worked ok

The leaning tower of rice 🤣 not a bad effort Stquinta, another tip, rinse the plate in hot water & place the rice in the middle, leave it to set before you gently lift the glass upwards - a wooden spoon is best to tap the bottom gently & lift slowly. 

I stand the glass with hot water prior to packing the rice & even a smidgeon of butter on a paper towel wiped around the insides of the glass helps it slide out intact. 

Gotta get it straight man !!

* When I used to take food photographs in some advertising campaigns I would leave the glass in the middle of the plate & serve the food around it & gently wipe the plate & then take it off, a much better presentation.

You have done well Grasshopper. ㊗️

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Haha 3

It doesn't look so great at the moment but I know the flavours of this are a hit - Greek chicken.

Normally I'd marinate chicken thighs in onion, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, basil, parsley, salt and pepper and then throw them on the barbie and they are da bomb. Today, however, I'm still marinating the same way but around lunch time I'm going to give it a low, slow cooking for 6 hours in the crock pot and serve it up with roast spuds for dinner.

Wish me luck.🤞

IMG_20220605_093400.jpg

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

It doesn't look so great at the moment but I know the flavours of this are a hit -Greek chicken.

Normally I'd marinate chicken thighs in onion, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, basil, parsley, salt and pepper and then throw them on the barbie and they are da bomb. Today, however, I'm still marinating the same way but around lunch time I'm going to give it a low, slow cooking for 6 hours in the crock pot and serve it up with roast spuds for dinner.

Wish me luck.🤞

Looks good Muzzer, chicken is great for those flavours, just the weather for it, it's bloomin' 11c here at that is the 'hottest' it will be !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks good Muzzer, chicken is great for those flavours, just the weather for it, it's bloomin' 11c here at that is the 'hottest' it will be !!

I'm hearing ya, Philthy. BoM say a top of 13C today. If it gets to that we'll be lucky.
We're having lunch at the Fox & Firkin at Tea Tree Gully. From what I know of this British pub is they have log fires which will hit the spot today.
I've been there in a work capacity back in the 90s but never had a meal or drinks there. Looking forward to it.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I'm hearing ya, Philthy. BoM say a top of 13C today. If it gets to that we'll be lucky.
We're having lunch at the Fox & Firkin at Tea Tree Gully. From what I know of this British pub is they have log fires which will hit the spot today.
I've been there in a work capacity back in the 90s but never had a meal or drinks there. Looking forward to it.

It's a great place but I haven't been there for years either. Bit far to drive home from here !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Burger Up! 🏴‍☠️

Rewarmed Burgers but with some lovely balsamic onions, freshly crisped smokey bacon and the other usual burgerish stuff... 👍

image.thumb.png.199e6cc71c0626f80773814c376e17f7.png

(but no chips this time 😢)

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Burger Up! 🏴‍☠️

Rewarmed Burgers but with some lovely balsamic onions, freshly crisped smokey bacon and the other usual burgerish stuff... 👍

I love burgers. Chips are good with them I suppose not all of the time is necessary.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MUZZY said:

It doesn't look so great at the moment but I know the flavours of this are a hit - Greek chicken.

Wish me luck.🤞

IMG_20220605_093400.jpg

Not much of a looker now but I bet it’ll be a blinder Muzz 👍💪🤞

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Burger Up! 🏴‍☠️

image.thumb.png.199e6cc71c0626f80773814c376e17f7.png

(but no chips this time 😢)

Aye aye, Cap’n! Luverly stuff IP!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Wish me luck.🤞

IMG_20220605_093400.jpg

Well I can't brag about this experiment. The flavours work but the appearance is unappealing and the mouth feel isn't too great.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I now know for this style of chicken my BBQ is the way to go. It needs some char to make it a winner.

IMG20220605174750.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Well I can't brag about this experiment. The flavours work but the appearance is unappealing and the mouth feel isn't too great.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I now know for this style of chicken my BBQ is the way to go. It needs some char to make it a winner.

Personally I would have browned them off first or even steamed them 1/2 way through. 

In my experiences the slow cooker is merely the holding vessel for all of your ingredients, I much prefer to par cook each ingredient as it as added to ensure an even temperature & maintain the heat throughout.

But it is up to the individual to determine the way they want it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Personally I would have browned them off first or even steamed them 1/2 way through. 

In my experiences the slow cooker is merely the holding vessel for all of your ingredients, I much prefer to par cook each ingredient as it as added to ensure an even temperature & maintain the heat throughout.

But it is up to the individual to determine the way they want it.

Most times I use the crock pot I'd brown the meat first but with our outing to the pub today I was short on time so I just chucked it all in and prayed it'd be good. Unfortunately it's not what I was hoping for. Still tastes ok, just isn't great.
For me, and many others, when it comes to food appearance is everything. This appears disappointing and it is. Not all is lost though. At least I learned something today.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Most times I use the crock pot I'd brown the meat first but with our outing to the pub today I was short on time so I just chucked it all in and prayed it'd be good. Unfortunately it's not what I was hoping for. Still tastes ok, just isn't great.
For me, and many others, when it comes to food appearance is everything. This appears disappointing and it is. Not all is lost though. At least I learned something today.

All good Muzzy, as long as you had a good day. Getting to the Pub IMO always has priority 🤭

• Haha 3

Just now, Classic Brewing Co said:

All good Muzzy, as long as you had a good day. Getting to the Pub IMO always has priority 🤭

Yeah mate. The Fox & Firkin was great, as was catching up with our friends. I can't believe I've left it this long to visit the F&F. I would have easily driven past it a few hundred times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Fresh (nivver bin frozen) Salmon Numus - taschty now - but will be even nicer tomorrow ; )

image.thumb.png.26ec9050df0a31f81b9fbdfb1e9a67ba.png

I've never heard of this dish before, IP. Did a google to find what it is. I don't think it's something I'd ever make myself but it definitely has a mouth watering effect on me.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Haha 3