Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

19 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

A couple of weeks back, made and baked up some Adelaide Pasties in honor of all our Adelaidian members, past present and future.  Mickep's pie post made me do it. ha ha...

Normally I chop all the veg up into tiny 1 cm cubes and I also use butternut pumpkin instead of say swede that my high school sweetheart uses in her pasties.   This time I grated all the veg except for the butternut and it still worked out very well.

They tuned out superb and we got two big feeds out of the one batch.  Baked them in the Weber-Q and drowned them in home made tomato sauce from all the Italian heritage tommies grown in our veggie patch last year.  Pic is only one batch on one pizza tray.

Adelaide Pasties - Baked in Weber-Q - resized.png

Adelaide Pasties - Ready for Weber-Q - resized.png

The pasties look great @iBooz2, you have me salivating 🤪

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Baked them in the Weber-Q and drowned them in home made tomato sauce from all the Italian heritage tommies grown in our veggie patch last year. 

Beautiful stuff @iBooz2 Boozer and then the Apply Crumbly w nice Vanilla Icecream.... very very nice indeed.... home grown ripe tomatoes make the best flavoured sauce yer can get 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Followed the pasties up with an apple crumble for desert to use up some apples and oats that were close to use by date.  While the Weber-Q was warm I baked this baby.

Smothered a good serving of this with a top quality vanilla ice-cream and it really hit the spot and so filling we did not feel like eating for a week.  Maybe we ate too much that evening.

Apple Crumble baked in Weber-Q - resized.png

Yum yum, love a bit of crumble. My lady wife used coconut sugar in an apple tart the other day, was really nice, not too sweet and gave an interesting texture. I’m not normally a dessert person but being off the grog it’s something to look forward to (rather than red wine and cheese, which is my after-dinner snack of choice 😡)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Pale Man said:

And another ol mate with a name change.........what are you boys doing to me? 

I thought we had some new members join that seem to fit in really well.

Sorry Paley. I made a little announcement when I made the change to lessen any confusion. You obviously didn't get the memo.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, kmar92 said:

A couple of weeks back, made and baked up some Adelaide Pasties in honor of all our Adelaidian members, past present and future.

Good stuff Al, you get a great sense of achievement with homemade goodies, Pies/Pasties no exception - everything has to be right for them to resemble the commercial ones, in most cases they are better.

I must admit I like making pastries but to tend to cheat with the Breadmaker & Piemaker, there is nothing like the smell of baking bread wafting through the house.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

A couple of weeks back, made and baked up some Adelaide Pasties in honor of all our Adelaidian members, past present and future.  Mickep's pie post made me do it. ha ha...

Normally I chop all the veg up into tiny 1 cm cubes and I also use butternut pumpkin instead of say swede that my high school sweetheart uses in her pasties.   This time I grated all the veg except for the butternut and it still worked out very well.

They tuned out superb and we got two big feeds out of the one batch.  Baked them in the Weber-Q and drowned them in home made tomato sauce from all the Italian heritage tommies grown in our veggie patch last year.  Pic is only one batch on one pizza tray.

Al, these look magnificent mate. Recipe please 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

They look awesome mate 👍 Didn’t know tou could cook ‘em on a Weber , great stuff

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stquinto said:

They look awesome mate 👍 Didn’t know tou could cook ‘em on a Weber , great stuff

Yes Stainter I do all my baking on my Weber Q's.  You need a convection tray and trivet to convert a Weber to an oven.  The tray's are just aluminium sheet with strategic holes in them.  They come in a pack of 10 and are discarded after a few uses.  The SS trivet of course will last a lifetime.  You could just use a trivet placed on some cooking foil to direct the heat up and around the item being baked.

I make biscuits, all my breads and bread rolls in the Weber Q's.  I have two of them, big one on the patio and another on a slide out in the caravan.  Made some ANZAC biscuits the other week in the shape of Australia and even put a rolled oat in the middle to represent Uluru.  😁

ANZAC biscuit in shape of OZ - resized.png

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 4

Asian-Malaysian Spicy Chicken Thighs boneless marinaded and then roasty toasty in the oven...  served with Papps and some lovely Coleslaw w homemade Whole-Egg Mayo using Hemp Seed Oil, (yeah-yeah just the normal non-festive stuff) and as well Apple, Onion and festive Pecans... oh yeah bit of Mango Chutney don't go astray with it too... beauty and splendour : )

Oh yeah - as for @stquinto Sainter a little pause in slurping-proceedings, and no consumption of vast amounts of chips, nuts, nor quality bread cheese n wurst to start with .... so funny, the food tasted very very good haha!

image.thumb.png.6f3c7ab6c40f2a94954dfa85f0e74cc6.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

even put a rolled oat in the middle to represent Uluru

Mate, honestly @iBooz2 Boozer, that is well beyond the call of duty... 🥳

I think you are very worth in being granted.... the rest of the Year off!

Mmm rather not - be nice to see more festive cookery products coming through please 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Adelaide Pasties

Here in NSW it is impossible to buy a proper pastie. They all have meat in them. My memory of pasties from the Port Elliot bakery in the sixties is a half moon shape filled with small cubes of carrots, swedes, turnips, potatoes, and peas. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jennyss said:

Here in NSW it is impossible to buy a proper pastie. They all have meat in them. My memory of pasties from the Port Elliot bakery in the sixties is a half moon shape filled with small cubes of carrots, swedes, turnips, potatoes, and peas. 

Still is, they are good but I still like a bit of meat in mine.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Yep I hear what you are saying Jenny.  My mum and in-laws did it that exact same way. 

I always prepare and cook a particular recipe I like to the original specifications and then I bastardize them in subsequent cook ups to suit my personal tastes, skills and techniques and also that of my family (consumers).  My Adelaidean pastie recipe is just what it is as it has morphed into this recipe to satisfy the family.  

I also used to make small cubes of the veggies but found it too time consuming and now use a hand cranked grater (Klevar) as it is just so quick and easy.   I also use this same grater to make my own bread crumbs from home baked stale bread to crumb fish, scallops, lamb chops etc.

I like a bit of meat in my pasties, you could leave it out if you wanted to.  Make it to suit you and your family tastes but only after making it this way first and then you can compare.  Enjoy.

PS  My wife makes pasties using Swede and Turnip etc to her fathers recipe and she reckons mine are better.  Maybe because I am doing all the work / cooking / baking etc.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Friday lunch with a mate down at the Bay, the Holdfast Hotel have a special every Friday 2 x Schnitzels, Chips & Salad for $30.00.

Pretty good deal as you can buy another jug for $20.00.   That's $25.00 each for a meal & 4 Schooners each!! 

Perfect if you want a no fuss, cheap meal, my mate is a Pilot & working tomorrow so no getting stuck into any wine 😂

20220923_132547.jpg

20220923_132557.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

the Holdfast Hotel have a special every Friday 2 x Schnitzels, Chips & Salad

Reckon you bin gipped there mate.... one flamin Schnitzy seems to have turned into a blaaardy Parmy!?! 🥳

Or is that a SA speciality a Parmi-Top-Schnitzy?

Come what may it looks blaaardy taschty and pretty good value...  so what version of megaswill do yer get in yer Juggler @Classic Brewing Co ?

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

Reckon you bin gipped there mate.... one flamin Schnitzy seems to have turned into a blaaardy Parmy!?! 🥳

Or is that a SA speciality a Parmi-Top-Schnitzy?

Come what may it looks blaaardy taschty and pretty good value...  so what version of megaswill do yer get in yer Juggler @Classic Brewing Co ?

OK the deal is you can get 2 Schnitzels, chips & salad & a jug of beer for $30.00. You can choose any topping, Josh had a Parmy topping & I chose a Pepper Gravy served in a jug.

The beer was Carlton Draught - there is a choice of other crap like Gt Nthn/XXXX/West End & so on.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2