Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

12 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Clam Chowder

Clam Cowder from @David M territory, these are pretty damn good.

goolwapipico.com

20220918_192450.jpg

Glad you like them, I crush them with my feet when I walk in the water but I don't eat them.

A Kiwi couple staying with me for awhile, used to walk along picking them up and eating as they go!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Glad you like them, I crush them with my feet when I walk in the water but I don't eat them.

A Kiwi couple staying with me for awhile, used to walk along picking them up and eating as they go!

I have been eating them for years along with all of the seafood/shellfish I can get. 🐟

• Like 4

On 9/17/2022 at 8:15 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

My mate dropped off some Mullett fillets he caught in his boat, so I knocked them up with a few Panko crumbs, I was going to make a Tartare Sauce & a Salad but seemed to have got happily involved in the bottle of Sauvignon Blanc 🤣 so it turned out to be just Fish & Chips, nice, so who cares. 

20220917_190701.jpg

20220917_191209.jpg

20220917_191621.jpg

20220917_192038.jpg

Cant beat fresh fish fella.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

Had a go at a recipe from the Gino d’Acampo book I just got, assisted by my lad. Ricotta gnocchi. Nice recipe, will probably add it to the repertoire

Looks nice Stquinta, making your own past is always fun especially by hand. Over the years I have owned different Pasta machines/devices but they have all ended up in the bin because unless you are prepared to pay big bucks for the big brands the cheaper ones don't cut it.

I must admit I have got lazy & buy mostly fresh/dry pasta more often these day's but it is impressive if you can pull off the perfect pasta.

As you know most Italian recipes are based on simplicity with few ingredients but the right combinations, always one of my favourite cuisines. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks nice Stquinta, making your own past is always fun especially by hand. Over the years I have owned different Pasta machines/devices but they have all ended up in the bin because unless you are prepared to pay big bucks for the big brands the cheaper ones don't cut it.

I must admit I have got lazy & buy mostly fresh/dry pasta more often these day's but it is impressive if you can pull off the perfect pasta.

As you know most Italian recipes are based on simplicity with few ingredients but the right combinations, always one of my favourite cuisines. 

I know what you mean Phil. Each time I make fresh pasta (as in the three times I've done so in my life) I always say "this is great. I'll make it again"...

I'm not put off by kneading anymore (since getting into sourdough) so it really shouldn't be a big deal. I have a fairly simple machine and so far I've done a few shapes with it. Still don't get round to it enough. 

I also tend to buy fresh or dried. pasta Some fresh shapes completely suit different sauces,, but others suit dried better. My favourite brand is De Cecco, Italians seem to swear by it. 

The thing I've found with Italian tucker is that there might not be loads of fancy ingedients, but make sure you get really good brands of what there is : notably pasta (De Cecco) tomatoes (Cirio, especially the tomato fillets), and I only use buffalo mozzarella now. Finished the yellow industrial crap that comes in a block the size of a house brick. Same with Parmesan - unless I need a load pre-grated for a lasagne maybe, I only ever buy blocks of it. It might cost a bit more, but it's peanuts compared to the cost of eating meat, fish or in restaurants.

Dunno if you get these brands where you are, but they are defo worth looking out for.

IMG_6231.jpg

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I know what you mean Phil. Each time I make fresh pasta (as in the three times I've done so in my life) I always say "this is great. I'll make it again"...

I'm not put off by kneading anymore (since getting into sourdough) so it really shouldn't be a big deal. I have a fairly simple machine and so far I've done a few shapes with it. Still don't get round to it enough. 

I also tend to buy fresh or dried. pasta Some fresh shapes completely suit different sauces,, but others suit dried better. My favourite brand is De Cecco, Italians seem to swear by it. 

The thing I've found with Italian tucker is that there might not be loads of fancy ingedients, but make sure you get really good brands of what there is : notably pasta (De Cecco) tomatoes (Cirio, especially the tomato fillets), and I only use buffalo mozzarella now. Finished the yellow industrial crap that comes in a block the size of a house brick. Same with Parmesan - unless I need a load pre-grated for a lasagne maybe, I only ever buy blocks of it. It might cost a bit more, but it's peanuts compared to the cost of eating meat, fish or in restaurants.

Dunno if you get these brands where you are, but they are defo worth looking out for.

@stquinto , my bread machine has a pasta dough making setting and I have always been temped to make the pasta dough itself and try it.  I would have to hand cut it as I don't have a pasta cutting tool (except for myself ha ha) but the high school sweetheart always talks me out of it and buys a fresh pasta pack from the supermarket instead.

+1 with buying good quality.  We have found a market stall owner that specializes in cheeses and she supplies us with a superb product.  Her tip is to grate off what you need then put the remaining block into a container and store it in the freezer.  So far this advise seems to work for the small volumes we buy.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

@stquinto , my bread machine has a pasta dough making setting and I have always been temped to make the pasta dough itself and try it.  I would have to hand cut it as I don't have a pasta cutting tool (except for myself ha ha) but the high school sweetheart always talks me out of it and buys a fresh pasta pack from the supermarket instead.

+1 with buying good quality.  We have found a market stall owner that specializes in cheeses and she supplies us with a superb product.  Her tip is to grate off what you need then put the remaining block into a container and store it in the freezer.  So far this advise seems to work for the small volumes we buy.

Well mate, if you've got a high school sweetheart the least you can do is listen to her 😉

As for the recipe in question, they're not something you can buy in the shop (gnocchi made with flour and ricotta, not potato gnocchi) so we made them). I was more chuffed that my son took an interest TBH. Otherwise you are pleased with yourself when you do make them, but you've gotta have the time (the beer doesn't brew itself, dammit !)

Good tip about putting the block of Parmesan in the freezer. Will give that a go, cheers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

I have made Pizza & Pasta dough in my Sunbeam Breadmaker a few times, turns out really nice.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

We have found a market stall owner that specializes in cheeses and she supplies us with a superb product.  Her tip is to grate off what you need then put the remaining block into a container and store it in the freezer.  So far this advise seems to work for the small volumes we buy.

21 hours ago, stquinto said:

Good tip about putting the block of Parmesan in the freezer. Will give that a go, cheers

I live in Adelaide's Italian quarter and buy locally made parmesan and pecorino already grated in fairly large bags. It also keeps well in the freezer. I put the bag in another zip lock bag and squeeze the air out. Haven't had any icicle issues in doing it this way.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Malter White said:

I live in Adelaide's Italian quarter and buy locally made parmesan and pecorino already grated in fairly large bags. It also keeps well in the freezer. I put the bag in another zip lock bag and squeeze the air out. Haven't had any icicle issues in doing it this way.

I've just worked out you're the Muzz 🤣   Couple of name changes around here are bringing on some early dementia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 9/17/2022 at 12:01 PM, Pezzza said:

WOWOWOWOWOWOW

Maaate @Classic Brewing Co Classic Brewing Chef and Brewer - what a beautiful meal - love the Gravy and Veggies and the Porker looks blaaardy perfect - and beautifully plated... you can take the rest of the Month off 🥳

Great Photo too... How do you get the meal in focus the surrounds to fade out? 

Is that a bit of post-production trickery in your festive graphics package?

Nice work!

And another ol mate with a name change.........what are you boys doing to me? 

I thought we had some new members join that seem to fit in really well.

• Haha 7

A couple of weeks back, made and baked up some Adelaide Pasties in honor of all our Adelaidian members, past present and future.  Mickep's pie post made me do it. ha ha...

Normally I chop all the veg up into tiny 1 cm cubes and I also use butternut pumpkin instead of say swede that my high school sweetheart uses in her pasties.   This time I grated all the veg except for the butternut and it still worked out very well.

They tuned out superb and we got two big feeds out of the one batch.  Baked them in the Weber-Q and drowned them in home made tomato sauce from all the Italian heritage tommies grown in our veggie patch last year.  Pic is only one batch on one pizza tray.

Adelaide Pasties - Baked in Weber-Q - resized.png

Adelaide Pasties - Ready for Weber-Q - resized.png

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 6

Followed the pasties up with an apple crumble for desert to use up some apples and oats that were close to use by date.  While the Weber-Q was warm I baked this baby.

Smothered a good serving of this with a top quality vanilla ice-cream and it really hit the spot and so filling we did not feel like eating for a week.  Maybe we ate too much that evening.

Apple Crumble baked in Weber-Q - resized.png

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 3