Coopers Community

Daily diary of a virgin (first ever) home brew!

pilotsh

Considering (Probably):

Brew 006:                                                                 Brew 007:

1.7kg Can Coopers English Bitter                              1.7kg Can Coopers English Bitter

0.7kg Coopers Light Dry Malt                                   1.5kg Can Thomas Cooper Light LME (the Yellow can)

1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 3:                                500g Coopers Brew Enhancer 1:

-500g Light Dry Malt                                                -300g Dextrose

-300g Dextrose                                                         -200g Maltodextrin

-200g Maltodextrin                                                   (so Dextrose & Maltodextrin match Brew 6)

(so a total of 1.2kg Light Dry Malt, which is equivalent to 1.5kg of Liquid Malt, as a liquid Malt can is approximately 20% water).              

Edited by pilotsh

Tuesday 23rd June: Brew 006 pitched!

Malt: Canned- Coopers English Bitter. BB date on can: 20/12/21. Or for any Americans reading that's 12/20/21.

Extra Ingredients: 1.5kg Can Coopers Light Liquid Malt, and 500g Coopers Brew Enhancer 1. (To match weight of Brew 7, refer comments)

Water: Unfiltered tap water.

Preparation: Malt Can added to off-the-boil water, dissolved, dump in FV. Brew enhancer stirred into warm water, dump into FV. Light liquid malt stirred into off-the-boil water Dump into FV. Topped up with a whole pot of rested water from the fridge (prepared) and a tray of ice to get 24.2C. For the sake of consistency with Brew 7 as a comparison, I will do the same.

Yeast: Sachet included with Can.

Pitching Method: Sprinkled Dry Yeast onto the top of wort.

Initial Wort Temperature: 24.2C, within instructions of 21-27C.

Temperature Control: No cooling. 35W heat belt. Inkbird Temp controller, target 19.9C, Heat belt at 19.2C. I don't know why I bothered with a heat belt; in an apartment building, with the surrounding structure and rooms the lowest I have seen the FV is 20.0C. But that is also a strength: the highest I have seen the FV is 22.9C. So, luckily I have constant +-1.5C. (Most of the time +- 0.7C)

Initial Sample SG (OG): 1049.5. Can instructions indicated 1030, but I have added extra 1.5kg Light Liquid Malt, and 500g BE1.

Comments: My FV while clean was retaining light fruity notes from the Dark ale ferments... A soak in Sodium Perc last night did wonders! 🙂 The spreadsheet everyone refers to showed SG for 1051 anf FG of 1015. My SG was 1049.5, amazingly close! 🙂

Brew 6 will be a comparison to Brew 7, the only change being using Liquid Malt in place of Dry Malt as follows:

Brew 007:                                                                 Brew 006:

1.7kg Can Coopers English Bitter                                1.7kg Can Coopers English Bitter

0.7kg Coopers Light Dry Malt                                   1.5kg Can Thomas Cooper Light LME (the Yellow can)

1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 3:                                500g Coopers Brew Enhancer 1:

-500g Light Dry Malt                                                -300g Dextrose

-300g Dextrose                                                         -200g Maltodextrin

-200g Maltodextrin                                                   (so Dextrose & Maltodextrin match Brew 7)

(so a total of 1.2kg Light Dry Malt, which is equivalent to 1.5kg of Liquid Malt, as a liquid Malt can is approximately 20% water).              

Photo(s):

4666AE65-2048-4545-8B3F-9216299229C2.jpeg

89A0F397-F4B2-40FC-82D4-D8DC50FA9AD2.jpeg

Edited by pilotsh
  • Like 3

Hey BB, just for you I made the Liquid Malt one first this time!

(And Brews 1-4 were all Dry Malts so this way I can taste two different liquid Malt beers quicker, to be able to report on the comparison.)

🥳

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, pilotsh said:

date on can: 20/12/21.

Good to see you using the correct Australian adopted date convention format for that date Pilot!!!  👍

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:
11 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

About 3 weeks should be long enough. 

I'm with Kelsey on this one!  3 weeks is good.

OMG, then my brews 1-3 have been in the 24c cupboard for waaaaayyyy too long! Eeeekkk! 🙋‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Better get them to storage ASAP!

Brew 006: Wednesday 24th June: 24 hours (1.00 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 24.6C! Wowser, this brew is heating itself! 😮  (Settle down yeast, you are farting too much hot air!) 😋

Comments: Wow, biggest Krausen I have seen, a good 5cm/2in plus. Also appears to be warming itself with activity, as the room conditions haven't changed much, but it seems to love it's own heat! It's within the guidelines, so I won't jump at shadows: but I am interested to see what it does to itself!

PS, so far the only difference is liquid malt, so the only reason it is so hot is because of BB. 🤗😛

Photo(s): 

8FCC8CA9-064E-47B8-BBEC-7B9E32E05378.jpeg

Edited by pilotsh

7 hours ago, pilotsh said:

Brew 006: Wednesday 24th June: 24 hours (1.00 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 24.6C! Wowser, this brew is heating itself! 😮  (Settle down yeast, you are farting too much hot air!) 😋

Comments: Wow, biggest Krausen I have seen, a good 5cm/2in plus. Also appears to be warming itself with activity, as the room conditions haven't changed much, but it seems to love it's own heat! It's within the guidelines, so I won't jump at shadows: but I am interested to see what it does to itself!

PS, so far the only difference is liquid malt, so the only reason it is so hot is because of BB. 🤗😛

Photo(s): 

8FCC8CA9-064E-47B8-BBEC-7B9E32E05378.jpeg

Yeast absolutely will generate heat when they are extremely active.

When using ale yeast most people recommend temps of around 18-20C. 24 would definitely be on the warmer scale. You may get some off flavours you didn't want, but without temp control not much you can do.

Look forward to seeing what you think of the Liquid Malt. When I was brewing tins/extract, they made a big difference in my brewing quality, and they are relatively cheap when ordering from the Coopers store (during the free shipping times).

Cheers, Mitch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, pilotsh said:

Better get them to storage ASAP

I don't reckon that'll be the end of the world good Pilot Cobber... is all sealed, under pressure, full of CO2... I reckon should be fine.

Myself I reckon is good for longer term storage cooler... but had plenty warmer in glass bottles over warmer summers... they were plenty fine.

That said... the lagers and pilseners at 2 deg C in the 3 month bottle lagering experiment were even better ha ha!?  But that's quite a different story.

9 hours ago, MitchellScott said:

You may get some off flavours you didn't want, but without temp control not much you can do.

Reckon 24 still should be pretty good... if something like US05 or some of the tame yeasts unlikely too much trouble... though 18 is best as you say MS.

9 hours ago, MitchellScott said:

Look forward to seeing what you think of the Liquid Malt. When I was brewing tins/extract, they made a big difference in my brewing quality, and they are relatively cheap when ordering from the Coopers store (during the free shipping times).

Aaaaaaarrrghhhh music to my ears MS... music to my ears!!! 

There yer go @pilotsh Pilot and @Goldcoast Crow GCC - I am not the lone Liquid Malt Soldier amongst us Brewers ha ha!!!

Our site's keg-n-gas expert @Red devil 44 Red is also a liquid malt believer... so we have a few on our team ha ha! 

Though I am trying to quietly con my man Red into veering off the KnK level path and up the All Grain steeper track to greater heights ha ha!  👹

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Reckon 24 still should be pretty good... if something like US05 or some of the tame yeasts unlikely too much trouble... though 18 is best as you say MS.

Aaaaaaarrrghhhh music to my ears MS... music to my ears!!! 

There yer go @pilotsh Pilot and @Goldcoast Crow GCC - I am not the lone Liquid Malt Soldier amongst us Brewers ha ha!!!

Our site's keg-n-gas expert @Red devil 44 Red is also a liquid malt believer... so we have a few on our team ha ha! 

Though I am trying to quietly con my man Red into veering off the KnK level path and up the All Grain steeper track to greater heights ha ha!  👹

Had a knee replacement 3 yrs ago, so couldn’t get up that steep bloody track 🤣🤣

Once I move house it will be cured meat, then maybe AG, maybe 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Had a knee replacement 3 yrs ago, so couldn’t get up that steep bloody track 🤣🤣

Once I move house it will be cured meat, then maybe AG, maybe 🤣🤣

I do love my KnK brews, turn out quite nice, but it’s what’s further down the rabbit hole that has me intrigued 😜😜

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

but it’s what’s further down the rabbit hole that has me intrigued

Mate I really reckon you should do one of your favourite brews - and consider doing a stove-top adjunct with some freshly milled malts... and see how it goes.  That would be interesting.  @Beerlust Lusty does quite a bit of partial brewing and gets good results and might be able to make a recommendation for one of your favourite brew styles...

I really never dabbled with the partial grain game...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mate I really reckon you should do one of your favourite brews - and consider doing a stove-top adjunct with some freshly milled malts... and see how it goes.  That would be interesting.  @Beerlust Lusty does quite a bit of partial brewing and gets good results and might be able to make a recommendation for one of your favourite brew styles...

I really never dabbled with the partial grain game...

Yeah mate that would be good, happy to have a crack at partial. Any recipes would be appreciated. 
Love my German style beers. 
I can feel the ground slipping out from under me as I delve deeper 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Brew 006: Thursday 25th June: 45 hours (1.88days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: Decreasing since yesterday. 23.2C this morning, 22.1C now. So no longer 'hot'. If histery is any thing to go by it will park at 20-21C.

Comments: Nice Krausen has settled at about 2.5cm/1in. Plenty of bubbly activity.

Photo(s): Nil.

Brew 006: Friday 26th June: 73 hours (3.04 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 20.2C. Settling, no more than 21C today.

Comments: Krausen collapsing, first patch of liquid wort visible.

Photo(s): 

E3266910-435E-4448-BA91-1AFE6A3D74A7.jpeg

Edited by pilotsh

Brew 006: Saturday 27th June: 97 hours (4.04 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 20.0C, steady.

Comments: Krausen mostly collapsed, normal progress.

Brew 001: Tasted like last time, no further improvement in flavour. Bubblegum nose, Tart apricot palate.

Brew 002: Better than first taste now constant. Stone fruits, nose and palate.

Brew 003: So far the winner. A little different to the Coopers Bottles, but I think a little more rounded!

Brew 004: Ready to taste from 3rd July.

Photo(s):

6005A283-F3F8-4B5E-8DE3-BFBC4F66C8AF.jpeg

56872626-C2DA-4E2D-AD0C-466B7411A861.jpeg

1D99908B-664A-4915-A7F5-3F7DB1143DB3.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Brew 006: Sunday 28th June: 111 hours (4.65 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 19.9C, steady.

Comments: Actual Temperature is equal to target temperature, lol.

Photo(s):

4165DD94-8C8C-4D6E-ADD0-648DB7840F20.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Brew 006: Monday 29th June: 141hours (5.88 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 19.8C, steady.

SG: 1015.5

Appearance: Very Fizzy, cloudy muddy water.

Nose: Similar to the Dark Ales, stone fruit but also more citrus-y.

Palate: Extensive bitterness, light nuttiness, citrus peel.

Comments: Interesting. Clearly more hoppy/bitter than the Dark Ale (obviously).

Photo(s):

71FB1642-2E72-4DB7-A514-34C35B042055.jpeg

Brew 006: Tuesday 30th June: 167 hours (6.95days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 20.6C now, but woke up to 19.5C with the heat belt on. Which means it must have dropped to 19.2C overnight and started heating back up. 

SG: 1015.5

Appearance: Very Fizzy, cloudy muddy water.

Nose: Similar to the Dark Ales, stone fruit but also more citrus-y. Raw Dough.

Palate: Extensive bitterness, light nuttiness, citrus peel. Not bad.

Comments: Based on the brew temp dropping overnight, the belt turning on, and it taking a while to come back up to 19.9C, I will adjust my minus delta for only 0.3 (turn belt on at 19.6C) as it was at 0.7C, that is why I think it might have taken the brew to 20.6C (19.9+0.7).

Either that, or the heat belt put some nice energy into the plastic, which moved back into the Brew over time.

Either way I changed the heating delta to minimum: 0.3C

Photo(s):

Brew 006: Wednesday 1st July: 189 hours (7.88) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 20.3C.

SG: 1015

Appearance: Less fizzy, cloudy muddy water.

Nose: Similar to the Dark Ales, stone fruit but also more citrus-y. Raw Dough.

Palate: Extensive bitterness, light nuttiness, citrus peel. Not bad.

Comments: Bottling probably Friday.

Photo(s):

7DDFF010-0B01-45B9-A072-F902C28732AF.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 10:30 PM, pilotsh said:

Based on the brew temp dropping overnight, the belt turning on, and it taking a while to come back up to 19.9C, I will adjust my minus delta for only 0.3 (turn belt on at 19.6C) as it was at 0.7C, that is why I think it might have taken the brew to 20.6C (19.9+0.7).

The Inkbird should turn the heater off once you have hit your target temp. So if 20C is your target temp and the heat belt turns on at 10.3, then it will turn off at 20C.

Looks like your beers are coming along nicely. Well done.

• Like 1