Coopers Community

Daily diary of a virgin (first ever) home brew!

pilotsh

On 8/13/2020 at 3:52 AM, pilotsh said:

I still don't know why I fit the collar: not once in 9 brews has there been any "over-bubbling"/fire-works: it's a bit disappointing actually....

Right - here is maybe a ray of hope for a froth-over?

Stout:

1 can Coopers Stout Concentrate

One can of Coopers Dark Liquid Malt

2kg of dry malt

Keep the volume down - maybe 20L

Ferment as warm as possible - say 22 - make a starter eg US05 or maybe Notty - any other Brewers suggestion for a fiery Ferment all ye Brewers out there?

Starter - yeah - so the Yeast is as fired up as possible...

And then see if you can get some fireworks....  might have a better chance.

And in the meantime - any more reports on Brew005 @pilotsh- reckon we might have needed more malt in there - another kilo or two of dry maybe as well as the other stuff - i.e. as well as the Conc Can+liquid malt... to help the liquid malt to show off its stuff....?

In the meantime @pilotsh you are doing a Sterling job keeping up the progress and record!

• Haha 1

Thanks BB, I will certainly give it a go after my two ROTM stouts.

Once the current brew (9) is done I am doing a "Plain" Cooppers Stout (10) so I have a base line.

Brew 10 is the ROTM Belgian Chocolate Stout pack and 11 is the ROTM Lamington Stout pack. Then all my stock is gone and I can start "messing around" with brews until summer hits unless I stumble on a cheap fridge. Still, maybe, considering a Halloween brew at some point, but let's see how the ambient temperature goes.

As for Brew 005, Already commented on the comparison of 4 vs 5. However Brew 7 just got to a month old so in the new week I will do the Brew 6 vs Brew 7 (English Bitter Liquid vs Dry). That'll be interesting for you! 🙂

🥳

Edited by pilotsh
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

Once the current brew (9) is done I am doing a "Plain" Cooppers Stout (10) so I have a base line.

Brew 10 is the ROTM Belgian Chocolate Stout pack and 11 is the ROTM Lamington Stout pack.

Clearly I can't count!  🤦‍♂️🤣

10: Plain Stout

11: ROTM Belgian Chocolate Stout Pack

12: ROTM Lamington Stout Pack

• Haha 1

Brew 009: Coopers European Lager with Nottingham Yeast- Tuesday 18th August: 240 hours (10 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 19.7 overnight up to 20.0C now.

SG: 1010.

Appearance: Cloudy Straw. Less fizz.

Nose: Dough. Orange. Native Florals.

Palate: Lemon, Orange, Stonefruit.

Comments:  Why does every non-dark beer I brew have to have Stone-fruit notes in it!? I want something different, and each one just reminds me of Apricots, Nectarines and Peaches, regardless of which base can I start with. 😞 

Photo(s): 

20D7D518-3CF2-4B53-A969-0037BEE1C2BB.jpeg

Brew 009: Coopers European Lager with Nottingham Yeast- Wednesday 19th August: 264 hours (11.0 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 19.8C. Steady.

Comments:  Will test SG tomorrow, probably bottling Friday.

Photo(s): Nil

Brew 009: Coopers European Lager with Nottingham Yeast- Thursday 20th August: 288 hours (12.0 days) since pitch.

SG: a solid 1010

Brew Temp: 19.6C. Steady.

Appearance: Golden straw. No longer too cloudy.

Nose: Dough. Citrus. Floral.

Palate: Lemon. Orange. Light Mango. Decent sweet pineapple! Yay!

Comments:  Finally a delicious beer. Will probably bottle tomorrow.

Photo(s):

97F99FBC-C4A8-4210-97FE-5B5C56790D66.jpeg

Edited by pilotsh
  • Haha 1

Brew 009: Coopers European Lager with Nottingham Yeast- Saturday 22nd August: 333 hours (13.88 days) from pitching to bottling.

Brew Temp: 18.4C

FG(SG): 1010. Therefore brew 008 is 4.2% ABV.

Appearance: Golden straw.

Nose: Dough. Citrus. Floral.

Palate: Lemon. Orange. Light Mango. Hints of sweet pineapple.

Comments: Great result with the Nottingham yeast. Can't wait to taste the finished product. This will probably be one of my favourite beers so far. Didn't realize I hadn't saved the photo of the hydrometer, but it was 1010, and the temperature had dropped to 18.4C indicating fermentation complete.

Photo(s): 

63DCADE1-BE0E-4EB8-B79B-25ECE5D68A22.jpeg

Edited by pilotsh

Ding! Ding! Showdown between Coopers English Bitter Brew 6 (Liquid Malt) and Brew 7 (Dry Malt)!

Sorry, BB, once again, to us, there is very little difference. If I got one or the other in a blind test I would not be able to pick which was which.

I am thinking maybe the darkness of the beer in Brews 4 and 5, or the extra bitterness of Brew 6 and 7 have over powered the Malts since in all cases Light Malt was used.

After I brew my Stout and two ROTM brews, I will look at revisiting the comparison between Liquid and Dry Malts. I've noticed that dry malt other than Light is harder to come by, and certainly haven't been able to find one brand that has both a Dark Malt or Amber malt in both Liquid and Dry. So I dare say that the liquid malt is easier to find to a toast level that compliments a given beer style.

I was really happy with how the Euro Ale with Notty turned out at bottling taste stage. If the bottle turns out to taste as amazing as I think I could do that as a comparison brew, with Light Dry and Liquid Malt again.

So my experimentation with Liquid Malts has only just begun!

8DBE47E3-2AB6-4373-8964-62257223E8FA.jpeg

Edited by pilotsh
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday 1st September: Brew 010 pitched!

Malt: Canned- Coopers Stout Can. BB date on can: 20/03/21

Extra Ingredients: 1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 3 (1013g), 125g of Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 and 64g Coopers Light Dry Malt

Water: Unfiltered tap water.

Preparation: Malt Can added to off-the-boil water, dissolved, stirred in Brew Enhancers, disolved and added to FV. 

Yeast: Yeast sachet included with the can.

Pitching Method: Sprinkle.

Initial Wort Temperature: 21.6C. Instructions say 21-27c.

Temperature Control: No cooling. 35W heat belt. Inkbird Temp controller for temp display, target 19c, heating at 18.7C

Initial Sample SG (OG): Bang on 1040. Can instructions indicated 1038, but I have added extra BE1 and LDM. Brew spreadsheet indicated 1042, so gross error check ok!

Comments: Getting good at getting the starting temperature right!

Photo(s):

E961C2A4-7DB5-4B88-9EF8-5AFE4AE1B8C7.jpeg

E3160199-6EC0-4FA8-BBFD-582D2B1FB1B2.jpeg

• Like 3

Brew 008: Coopers Pale Ale with Pale Ale bottle yeast- First Taste!

Appearance: Golden Straw, nice nice an clear, nice and bubbly but head dissipates quickly.

Nose: Tropical peach.

Palate: Light apricot, peach and tropical notes. Nice firm bubbles on tongue. Not bad!

Comments: Nice beer. Will do a comparison soon to Brew 3 which was sachet yeast.

Photo(s):

766045C9-0681-45FB-A5B6-59117AB09AC6.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/23/2020 at 7:47 PM, pilotsh said:

So my experimentation with Liquid Malts has only just begun!

Absolutely.... Mate you are doing a sennnnsational job.... and am really keen to see what transpires....  keep up the good work....

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 7:47 PM, pilotsh said:

revisiting the comparison between Liquid and Dry Malts

for me the big question is around creamy mouth-feel... and head... and head retention.... the dry malt brew I made with poor CMFHHR... the taste was great...

cannot really get a photo to describe the above... but is present in the below IPA.... lots of fine bubbles that stay up there...

image.png.1c6fc5e0af1c1fb2847e544972a08728.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 2

On 9/2/2020 at 9:14 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

for me the big question is around creamy mouth-feel... and head... and head retention.... the dry malt brew I made with poor CMFHHR... the taste was great...

cannot really get a photo to describe the above... but is present in the below IPA.... lots of fine bubbles that stay up there...

image.png.1c6fc5e0af1c1fb2847e544972a08728.png

Fine bubbles vs foamy head. I don't mind either way, but some people look at you funny if a beer doesn't have a foamy head; for example, Guinness.

I don't mind the size of the bubbles,: it's just nice when they hang around longer than "Hi mate, we're here, we bought a plate, but now we have another party to go to, bye...." 🤔

Brew 010: Coopers Stout Can- Friday 4th September: 76 hours (3.17days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 21.3C at post (21.6 this morning)

Comments: Krausen bubbles collapsing, but normal progress from my experience. Still, I brewed a Stout and still dissapointed I wasted time AGAIN fitting the collar that did nothing- except provide yet ANOTHER thing to clean and sanitise each brew... 🤔😛

Photo(s): 

CBE989C2-2337-4414-9B19-982707A63E94.jpeg

3 hours ago, pilotsh said:

Brew 010: Coopers Stout Can- Friday 4th September: 76 hours (3.17days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 21.3C at post (21.6 this morning)

Comments: Krausen bubbles collapsing, but normal progress from my experience. Still, I brewed a Stout and still dissapointed I wasted time AGAIN fitting the collar that did nothing- except provide yet ANOTHER thing to clean and sanitise each brew... 🤔😛

Photo(s): 

CBE989C2-2337-4414-9B19-982707A63E94.jpeg

Try something like I posted above. Absolutely fantastic stout already. And I'll guarantee you'll need two Krausen collars. OG was around 1080

Edited by Pale Man
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Try something like I posted above. Absolutely fantastic stout already. And I'll guarantee you'll need two Krausen collars. OG was around 1080

I've got the ROTM Belgian Chocolate Stout and Lamington Stout to go next so I'll get to see how they go first! 🙂

• Like 1

Brew 010: Coopers Stout Can- Saturdy 5th September: 97 hours (4.04 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 21.1C. Steady.

Comments: Normal Progress. Krausen almost all gone, but nice bubbling activity on the surface.

Photo(s): Nil

On 9/4/2020 at 12:16 AM, pilotsh said:

Fine bubbles vs foamy head. I don't mind either way, but some people look at you funny if a beer doesn't have a foamy head; for example, Guinness.

I don't mind the size of the bubbles,: it's just nice when they hang around longer than "Hi mate, we're here, we bought a plate, but now we have another party to go to, bye...." 🤔

Agreed.

But if you brew Stout w bottling/keg CO2 and not with Nitro gas and pour and with the right nitro-foam-pour tap...  you won't achieve that creamy head.

That does not mean you cannot brew a lovely strong Stout and second ferment in bottle or keg with CO2 and not achieve a great beer....  just won't be a Nitro Pour will it?

And as for 'hang around' = what I have been saying for ages = head and head retention...

And

If you have a full bodied brew - lots of original gravity... and in that - lots of liquid malt - or partial wort adjuncts (malted grain).... you will achieve that creamy top...

and one that hangs around ; )

Cheers Pilot

Edited by Bearded Burbler