Coopers Community

Daily diary of a virgin (first ever) home brew!

pilotsh

It would appear that my Fermenting Fridge (Kegerator) is under-reading by 2 degrees C. It is set to target 20C, shows 20C, yet inkbird and other thermometers show circa 22C.

And the worst part is I don't think the Kegerator reading can be calibrated! 🤔

ABA90ECB-3FB7-4873-BC25-DC9BBF798D52.jpeg

Edited by pilotsh

8 hours ago, pilotsh said:

I don't think the Kegerator reading can be calibrated! 

Am sorta thinkin you have two options...

First - well just the Fermenting Fridge Accordingly.... so if you know 22.6 is actually 19 - then set it to 22.6 if you want 19 - PITA but it is a bit difficult to sometimes tell which is correct anyway - I have a cuppla inkbirds + they do not agree.... but ah well... the beer still tastes pretty blllllardy good.  I commend your pursuit of the correct temp though!!!

Otherwise - ring the far ken service provider and suggest they send a techo around to fix pronto please this highly expensive splendid piece of equipment as the thermistor thermocouple thermo-what-fffk-n-ever that detects ambient Temp and converts it into electric signal is not working properly...  and that you are a member of a vast network of brewers who are interested in their product and feel bad that you have to report that the unit is up-to-shitttt and not doing its job properly.

Mmmm and then there is the ACL - Australian Consumer Law - and if not fit for purpose - can be sent back... but that may be a bit troublesome as it took a fair amount of effort to get it inside your brewery.

Keep us posted and don't forget - at some stage - you need to get yourself some Coopers Largies - King Browns - Glass 750ml bottles... better than plazzis.

Buy Coops Stout or Sparkling on Spesh - drink - enjoy - and keep the beautiful bottles for brewing and bottling ; )

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Otherwise - ring the far ken service provider and suggest they send a techo around to fix pronto please this highly expensive splendid piece of equipment as the thermistor thermocouple thermo-what-fffk-n-ever that detects ambient Temp and converts it into electric signal is not working properly...  and that you are a member of a vast network of brewers who are interested in their product and feel bad that you have to report that the unit is up-to-shitttt and not doing its job properly.

Mmmm and then there is the ACL - Australian Consumer Law - and if not fit for purpose - can be sent back... but that may be a bit troublesome as it took a fair amount of effort to get it inside your brewery.

Yes, well, I knew about the ACL though Choice!

I should give the unit a change, first. But I think I need to watch it over the next few days to see what it does, in the mean time I will ring them tomorrow and ask them what the resolution of temperature for the fridge is. Happy to add 2 degrees, but I think I need to try it with an FV so there is some critical mass in it. It may work better when there is a little fermentation warmth balancing the compressor and sensor.

Now if you'll excuse me I have some "mashing" and pitching to do! 😋

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, pilotsh said:

other thermometers

maybe try a non-digi thing... just to check not all the digi's are up the creek...  like a mercury thermometer but don't break it... all measuring devices have error and I suspect elektronika adds further error...mmm well surely there must be some accurate elektronika out there too... 

2 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

and ask them what the resolution of temperature for the fridge

good idea.

I remember @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey testing some different temp locations in a Kegerator - you there Kelsey?  Think Kelsey found different temps with different monitoring locations within his unit...  and maybe have installed a 'computer fan' to recirc air within the kegerator to even out?  @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey you may have some advice here?

10 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

good idea.

I remember @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey testing some different temp locations in a Kegerator - you there Kelsey?  Think Kelsey found different temps with different monitoring locations within his unit...  and maybe have installed a 'computer fan' to recirc air within the kegerator to even out?  @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey you may have some advice here?

When dealing with temperature measurement, as in this instance, it is important to ascertain where all the the sensors are measuring from. You will need to find out where the Kegerator sensor is located and put all the other sensors near that point. You can go around in circles with this type of problem with the different readings and no sensor reading incorrectly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Monday 21st September: Brew 011 pitched! 🥳 (ROTM Belgian Chocolate Stout)

Malt: Canned- Coopers Devil's Half Ruby Porter. BB date on can: 13/09/21.

Extra Ingredients: Coopers Amber Malt Can (1.5kg), 1.036kg Coopers Light Dry Malt (2 Boxes), 250g Chocolate Malt Grain, 100g Cacao Nibs, 1 Vanilla Bean.

Water: Unfiltered tap water.

Preparation: 'Bashed' Grains steeped for 1 day in 2Lt water in Fridge. Porter and Malt cans added to off-the-boil water, added to FV. Stirred in Dry Malt. Steeped grain liquid boiled, added Vanilla Bean and Cacao Nibs, boil for 1 minute. Cool in water bath (15 minutes) then strained in to FV. Topped to 23Lt Fridge Water.

Yeast: Sachet from Coopers Can, AND 11.5g Safale S-33 Sachet BB date: 03/2022

Pitching Method: Sprinkled both yeasts onto wort.

Initial Wort Temperature: 20C

Temperature Control: Cooling- A brand spanking new Kegerator, will watch it's performance for a few days. Heating, 35W heat belt attached as a backup, via Inkbird Temp controller for temp display, target 20C, heat belt override set to 17.5C.

Initial Sample SG (OG): 1057. Can instructions indicated 1038, but many extra ingredients added. Spreadsheet Estimate was 1.062, but selected Coopers Stout, so ball-park check is ok

Comments: The initial sample tasted very nice and promising! Certainly not as raw/'green' as any of my previous brews.

Photo(s):

5F270EEF-180E-421C-91BA-94009EA08582.jpeg

6377C991-72B6-49D2-AD9D-B9B3DB63F937.jpeg

AB9AEF52-0276-43A4-AAF6-18855EFB5872.jpeg

13E86FE3-EDAA-4192-82F2-93E7A771DC30.jpeg

82932526-174E-4D67-B1E4-2FCC735DB675.jpeg

AEEE35C5-67C7-45BC-BFAF-C0A40DC6E1A4.jpeg

Edited by pilotsh
Photos
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, pilotsh said:

It would appear that my Fermenting Fridge (Kegerator) is under-reading by 2 degrees C. It is set to target 20C, shows 20C, yet inkbird and other thermometers show circa 22C.

And the worst part is I don't think the Kegerator reading can be calibrated! 🤔

ABA90ECB-3FB7-4873-BC25-DC9BBF798D52.jpeg

Why not just set your fridge to the coldest setting and plug the fridge into the inkbird. Use the inkbird as the temperature control.

4 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Why not just set your fridge to the coldest setting and plug the fridge into the inkbird. Use the inkbird as the temperature control.

This was my next step depending on how everything else turned out. One down side is every time you turn the Kegerator off then on, the font fan resets to "on". Anyway, So I strapped my inkbird to the FV with the insulation like before, with the four other digital probes near the Kegerator sensor. I set 19C on the Kegerator.  Woke up this morning and the Kegerator was at 18C, the four independent ones were matched at 20C, and the inkbird strapped to the FV was 21.4C.

So I bumped the Kegerator down one degree to 18C, let's see if the FV gets to 20.4C

Edited by pilotsh

Yeeeehaaaa! 🤠

Just rang Kegland and they had instructions on how to calibrate the display! (He also said the fridge can vary "by a few degrees" (resolution)).

(No idea why it wasn't in the manual..... anyway, I've adjusted it and let's see what happens.)

Also a quick question: it is normal for the FV to maintain 2C warmer than surroundings?.... Fridge has been steady all day at 20C, but FV just sits on 21.4C/21.3C!

26 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

Yeeeehaaaa! 🤠

Just rang Kegland and they had instructions on how to calibrate the display! (He also said the fridge can vary "by a few degrees" (resolution)).

(No idea why it wasn't in the manual..... anyway, I've adjusted it and let's see what happens.)

Also a quick question: it is normal for the FV to maintain 2C warmer than surroundings?.... Fridge has been steady all day at 20C, but FV just sits on 21.4C/21.3C!

Stick the inkbird probe to the fermenter with insulation of some kind covering it ( i use a few layers of alfoil ) Your temp controlled fridge will pick up the temp of your wort and work to that.

Edited by Pale Man

7 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Stick the inkbird probe to the fermenter with insulation of some kind covering it

I've done that. Now that I have calibrated the fridge in a few hours I'll see what everything says once everything gets settled. (I opened the door to smell my FV..... mmmmm That's Nice.)

(For clarity: I haven't stuck the fridge into the inkbird just yet, I'd like to learn how the new fridge works first, then I probably will)

Edited by pilotsh

Ding Ding! Taste Test Battle! Brew 3 vs Brew 8 vs Coopers Pale Ale

Brew 3: Coopers Pale Ale Home Brew, as instructed.

Brew 8: Coopers Pale Ale Home Brew, as instructed, but Coopers Bottle Yeast substituted instead of can Sachet.

So..... I'd drink all three, at any time, they all taste fine by themselves! (A good start).

However comparing side-by-side:

Brew 3 is more "apricoty" than Brew 8: If I had the extra time I would make Brew 8 instead of 3 in the future.

Coopers Pale Ale is less fruity, nuttier, sharper on the palate. It is also lighter in colour (less brown, less orange) than both Brew 3 and Brew 8 which are identical to each other in colour. The nose of Coopers is rather sharp, Brew 3 smells like an Apricot Tree, Brew 8 is toned down mix of both! My favourite nose is Brew 8!

So, now that I have a kegerator, the only reason I need to buy Coopers Pale Ale, is to extract the yeast to then brew my own! 🤣🤦‍♂️

Good Fun! Thanks Coopers for continuing to support Home Brew here and around the world: I feel like a kid running around in a MASSIVE back yard! Lol.

5C5AA597-907B-42EE-8214-19B2A4ADBA64.jpeg

• Like 5

20 hours ago, pilotsh said:

Initial Sample SG (OG): 1057.

Finally you have got on board Pilot!

Forget Brew005, this is more like it mate.

Really looking forward to what you come up with here... at last the OG is getting there ; )

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Pale Man said:

This is good stuff - only thing wouldn't you have the sensor cable in and out of the fridge seal?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

So, now that I have a kegerator, the only reason I need to buy Coopers Pale Ale, is to extract the yeast to then brew my own!

Correct.             And wait till you start milling malted grain yourself and doing the AG whole do it yourself super brew thing?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

only thing wouldn't you have the sensor cable in and out of the fridge seal?

Nope. The Kegerator has a hole in the top to install a tap font (in the future).

(so it is in and out of a font seal, which is a round foam, the hole is about 7cm diameter)

Edited by pilotsh

Brew 011: Coopers ROTM Belgian Chocolate Stout- Tuesday 22nd September: 24 hours (1 day) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 19.9-21.4C (playing around and learning my new kegerator, will report back once I have mastered it).

Comments: I opened the kegerator to have a cheeky look and smell: wow- going great. I could smell the CO2 (good yeast progress) and other rich dark beer smells I haven't smelt before on other brews. Also, this FV has been in a closed fridge, all others have been in the laundry, so I was expecting the more concentrated aromas. Happy. Nice normal Krausen developing!

Photo(s):

38194C30-F076-4005-90CE-0FEAB94E9769.jpeg

119CE396-150A-4BF5-BD37-2876672DE4ED.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

This is good stuff - only thing wouldn't you have the sensor cable in and out of the fridge seal?

There's drain holes and what not you can run cable through. Isn't he using a Kegerator fridge? There would be pre holes for gas line? All that aside running cables through the fridge seal doesn't hurt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Sorry to be a smart ar#e, but 😉

You are correct. Specifically I was referring to that dry spicy nostril burning feeling you get from the CO2 (like if they have ever let you smell a mash tun on tour and accidentally stick your head right in take a deep breath!) 🤓👍

Edited by pilotsh
Typo
  • Like 1