Coopers Community

Daily diary of a virgin (first ever) home brew!

pilotsh

7 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

...vvvvvverrrra verry nice

Well if I was going to buy a redundancy present for myself (more than a decade of service), I thought this would be the best present to buy! 😜🤔😬🙄😋

Edited by pilotsh
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Great time of year to be attacking one of these.

Well, that would be in October..... as we about to pitch the ROTM Belgian Chocolate Stouts and Lamington Stouts.... then the knockoff Beez Kneez attempt (beginners with a nostalgic memory) the very next one after that.

🥳

Edited by pilotsh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Brew 010: Coopers Stout Can- Saturday 12th September: 265 hours (11.04days) from pitching to bottling.

Brew Temp: 21.6C.

FG (SG): 1011.5 therefore Brew 10 is 4.2% ABV (3.7+0.5)

Appearance: Rusty black coffee.

Nose: Stone fruit, burnt sugar.

Palate: Bitter tropical fruits, green coffee, tart apricot.

Comments: Primed bottles 1-15 and 33 with carbonation drops. Bottles 16-32 are from a Maple syrup Batch Prime.

Photo(s):  

F6BF4169-ED17-4954-92BB-528DCAFE7F00.jpeg

246046BD-A533-4E69-B614-DDD672CDE0A7.jpeg

Edited by pilotsh
Added photos
  • Like 2

Brew 009: Coopers European Lager with Nottingham Yeast- Sunday 20th September: Taste test

Appearance: Golden Brown, nice fizz, nice head, that dissipate over about 4 minutes.

Nose: Stone fruit, apricot.

Palate: Crisp, light , refreshing. Tropical flavours.

Comments: Right on four weeks since bottling. Not bad. Can't wait to see what it tastes like after another four weeks.

Photo(s):

BF348C06-B10A-4BA0-8BBF-7E01F0714AE4.jpeg

• Like 2

Brew 011: ROTM Belgian Chocolate Stout- Sunday 20th September: Preparation/Steep

Chocolate Malt Grain Steep today, as per instructions. They say just use a cloth straight from the packet, but the packet says to rinse thoroughly before and after each use.... I just followed the Coopers Instructions and just used the cloth straight from the pack, as I will we boiling the wort tomorrow. I assume everyone just uses the cloth straight from the pack? I used a plastic clip to hold the chux top together.

Photo(s):

A8BB9BF1-D4BD-4B81-86A2-FC8B57B3C988.jpeg

746BCD79-48D5-4F59-A4B5-8745A20B8B2F.jpeg

DC39728B-02EE-4408-A7CF-0FA72BAE385B.jpeg

1 minute ago, pilotsh said:

used the cloth straight from the pack,

I am a believer in boiling any cloth grain retention entity with vinegar or something acid to ensure any potential leachable compounds are gone... suspect if this is being done by a commercial provider (Coopers) it should be fine... but even with my very first BIAB nylon food grade heat stable bag... I boiled it for a while just to ensure there was nothing left... you should be fine but it's just a thought...  and would not use plastic clip - stainless steel clothes pegs are readily available... anyway you were not boiling for hours either... just any of these 'foregin materials' could provide compounds into the brew... Stainless, Ceramic, and Pyrex... all good.

21 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

Brew 011: ROTM Belgian Chocolate Stout- Sunday 20th September: Preparation/Steep

Chocolate Malt Grain Steep today, as per instructions. They say just use a cloth straight from the packet, but the packet says to rinse thoroughly before and after each use.... I just followed the Coopers Instructions and just used the cloth straight from the pack, as I will we boiling the wort tomorrow. I assume everyone just uses the cloth straight from the pack? I used a plastic clip to hold the chux top together.

Photo(s):

A8BB9BF1-D4BD-4B81-86A2-FC8B57B3C988.jpeg

746BCD79-48D5-4F59-A4B5-8745A20B8B2F.jpeg

DC39728B-02EE-4408-A7CF-0FA72BAE385B.jpeg

As an alternative to a clip, cut a strip from the Chux and use that to tie the bundle together. It just saves another "thing" being introduced to the mix that requires sanitising.

35 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

As an alternative to a clip, cut a strip from the Chux and use that to tie the bundle together. It just saves another "thing" being introduced to the mix that requires sanitising.

Yeah I do the same, also not sure its required but for my dry hopping I place the chux in boiling water first then spray with Starsan. 

18 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Were the grains cracked (put into a zip lock bag and broken up with a rolling pin)?  These look rather whole.

Um no, we both read the instructions and no mention in there of cracking them with a rolling pin.....!  🙄

I thought they provide them cracked..... !? Is it too late to crack them now?

Panic.... please advise!

Edited by pilotsh
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pickles Jones said:

1 hour ago, Hilltop hops said:

Yeah I do the same, also not sure its required but for my dry hopping I place the chux in boiling water first then spray with Starsan. 

Next time I will boil the chux, just to be sure. As for the clip, I saw that tomorrow I will bring this liquid to boil so wasn't too worried: the clip was sanitised before use.

2 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

clip was sanitised before use.

not about being non-sterile... more about introducing plastic compound volatiles into the brew... stainless is good - or tie up bag with strip of same cloth... but previously boil the ffkkk out of them with maybe bit of vinegar to ensure there is nothing that will come out of cloth or the blue colour dyes etc... so not introducing extraneous non-wanted compounds into the brew...

6 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

The Day Before: Line a pot (at least 4 litres) with a mesh cleaning cloth (pulled straight from the pack), then add the cracked grain and 2 litres of cold water.

In the instructions as step 1.

Yeah the grain 100% needed to be cracked. Unsure if you can some how dry and crack . . .

Ok, this could be taken both ways: they sent the packet with a measured amount of the grain for the recipe. I still think they should have specified what they sent needed to be cracked. 😞

The instructions say it in passing... eg: This would have been much better instructions....:

"Step one. Place provided grains in a ziploc and crack them.

Step two: The Day Before: Line a pot (at least 4 litres) with a mesh cleaning cloth (pulled straight from the pack), then add the cracked grain and 2 litres of cold water.

"

Ok, what do I do, chuck it, order more grain and lose a week, crack it now (it's only been soaking 2.5 hours), or dry them in my dehydrator and start again (but keep the water in the fridge)

Edited by pilotsh

11 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Unsure if you can some how dry and crack . . .

I reckon you could just do your best to try to smash up what you have right now... even wet... as best you can... as whole malted grain is not likely to provide the resultant fermentables... you just won't get the surface area to allow the solubles to come out into solution... maybe just smash 'em up however and steep again maybe?  Keep that previous fluid for the brew. 

Otherwise... move on and do that next time.  Or if LHBS next door fetch a bit of crystal malt and get them to crack it and then steep that?

Edited by Bearded Burbler

3 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

Ok, what do I do, chuck it, order more grain and lose a week, crack it now (it's only been soaking 2.5 hours), or dry them in my dehydrator and start again (but keep the water in the fridge)

I would keep the fluid - water in the fridge - off it - use in brew tomorrow.

Take grain out and try to roll it like porridge... flatten the grains... and then stew/steep that up... 

Like try to smash it up a bit... rolling pin... baking paper sheets with grain in between and hit with hammer not too hard? 

I would not dry them out again... I mean you could do that but I reckon just try to squish them up a bit right now and put back with another fresh batch of hot water - and then use both batches of fluid for the brew... the non-smashed grain fluid (now in fridge) and the new smashed-grain fluid... that you are about to make... 

Just had a look through a few of the recipes on there site and noticed the one your making is probably the only one where they leave the zip lock method out.

Sparkling Tonic ROTM.

The Day Before: Line a pot (at least 4 litres) with a mesh cleaning cloth (pulled straight from the pack).

• Place the grain in a plastic zip-lock sandwich bag and crack them using a rolling pin.
  • Add the cracked grain and 3 litres of cold water, fit the lid and sit in the fridge overnight

But yeah that's the method you don't own a mill for the small amounts of grain used in these ROTM.

12 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

you don't want to pulverize it into a paste

I can still feel the grains, so I will stop.

I am happy, I can smell 'coffee'. I am just boiling a little pot with some water for the second chux.

1DFDF3CB-9C69-414A-8F9B-B1363B0028AB.thumb.jpeg.27579cc63b47aaebaa0c40247e092b05.jpeg

Luckily they were still firm.... they had only been soaking a couple of hours. I think I have saved it. Thanks everyone!

I'll post a photo in a few minutes once it is back in the pot. 🙂

Edited by pilotsh
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Just had a look through a few of the recipes on there site and noticed the one your making is probably the only one where they leave the zip lock method out.

Well that is just my luck, isn't it, lol. The first ROTM I do and the instructions are dodgy! 

Murphy's Law strikes again!!! 🙄

• Haha 1