Coopers Community

Daily diary of a virgin (first ever) home brew!

pilotsh

1 hour ago, pilotsh said:

solid vacuum sealed sachet.

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

the packets are meant to be vacuum sealed anyway. 

Yeah think I would agree with @Otto Von Blotto OVB that the vac sealed versions are probably a better way to keep the yeast... tho my Saf dry W34/70 and US05 are floppy boys and they do seem to work nicely.... but they live in the suppliers fridge, then hop in an Aldi-Cooli-Bag with cooli-bricks and travel to their new home where they return to fridge life so are looked after.

Not sure. I got a good thick Krausen that stayed there about a week. But the Notty yeast definitely has rehydrating pictures on the packet so I'll do that before for Euro Ale experiment.

17 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

What was the yeast and brew and temp... and did you oxygenate your wort properly?

From the post that started this tread:

Yeast: FERMENTIS SAFALE US-05 DRY ALE 10G YEAST (Bought recently for freshness and did not use yeast that came with the kit because of date)

Initial Wort Temperature: 24.5C (A little warm because wort water was a little hot, but within instructions range of 20-27C)

And if by Oxygenating the wort you mean stirring it, yes.

• Like 1

Brew 004: Wednesday 27th May: 68 hours (2.83 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 20.9C

SG: Not tested.

Comments: Looking good. Smelling great! 

Photo(s):  Nil

4 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

I got a good thick Krausen that stayed there about a week.

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Am not quite sure what you are worried about?!

Yeah I sorta splash the wort into the FV when I am decanting from my cooled boil kettle... so yeah stirring - and splashing it in as you pour in maybe?

The guns on this site use a festive sintered stone and hook it up to a mini-oxygen cylinder which one day too I may get there ha ha !?!

1 minute ago, pilotsh said:

Brew Temp: 20.9C

Which brew is this again... think it's an ale... seems like a pretty nice temp really.... I think 18 is ideal but if not controlled temp cabinet/fridge then 20.9 is just laaarvely.

14 hours ago, pilotsh said:

And if by Oxygenating the wort you mean stirring it, yes.

Vigorously stirring - I whip the wort till there is froth on top then kinda stir it in. Also do @Bearded Burbler's method of a 'noisy' pour into the FV, both the wort and the cold water. The more O2 in there when the yeast is pitched (as a starter) the better time the yeast will have. I do the froth thing immediately after the pitch as well.

2 hours later I have 1 - 2 cms of head on the brew and 10 hours later thick (7 - 8 cm) Kraussen.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brew 004: Thursday 28th May: 87hours (3.63 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 20.5C

SG: Not Tested.

Comments: Normal Progress. Krausen starting to thin. Still smells good and can see surface movement.

Photo(s): Nil

23 hours ago, pilotsh said:

I got a good thick Krausen that stayed there about a week.

image.png.514898f1727bc2283328f1004a82b473.png

21 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Us05 has a tendency to produce a krausen that won't go away easily. Doesn't mean it's fermenting slow though. I often reach FG with it still floating on top. 

So Pilot - I am agreeing with OVB here - if you had a good thick Krausen for a week - how can you suggest that there was something wrong with your brew and ferment?

Was it just that it took a while to get started... given you had a big festive thick Krausen for a week - surely you should be happy with that?

1 hour ago, NewBrews said:

That's not the first time that's been said about me, but in this case that just your dirty, dirty mind!!

Dear God, please remove that noise from my head... 😄

Does anyone really listen to more than 5 seconds of that? 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Was it just that it took a while to get started... given you had a big festive thick Krausen for a week - surely you should be happy with that?

I was, but I doubted myself as people were saying 14 days as too long, for example:

E3134787-0542-4E10-A37D-FD62073F575F.png

Brew 004: Friday 29th May: 112 hours (4.67 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 20.6C

Comments: Normal Progress. Krausen still dissipating.

I have done a pale ale pitched on Sunday finished last night and will be kegged on Sunday after 2 days CC. All gain 1.053 og finished at 1.010 and using coopers kit yeast 1.5l starter. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pilotsh said:

But now I know you just have to let the brew do it's thing, and rely on the SG.

It sounded like it was slow but got there - and the nice fluffly Krausen was a good sign.  It is not as stressful if it takes off in a timely manner... like @Titan Titan's above...

So yeah - the rehydrate or rehydrate and starter can help kick things along.  It all came good in the end which was great Pilot.  Is the Liquid Malt addition Brew 005?

Brew 004: Saturday 30th May: 130 hours (5.41 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 20.5C

Comments: Normal Progress. Krausen still dissipating.

Brew 004: Sunday 31st May: 163 hours (6.79 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 20.3C

SG: 1013

Appearance: Cloudy, watery mud. 

Nose: Nothing really stands out. Slight Vegemite.

Palate: Nothing really stands out. Mild bitterness. Hints of soggy wheat cereal.

Comments: Krausen almost totally dissipated. I hope the brew develops a bit more in then next two days (nose and palate bland with nothing noteworthy standing out). Not bad, just nothing special.

Photo(s): 

AFCAE799-9BAB-4CB8-8C6D-95933E40C995.jpeg