Coopers Community

Daily diary of a virgin (first ever) home brew!

pilotsh

Yeah the Coopers FV, Kollar, Lid and Tap handle boiling water, but PET bottles don't, so I needed SSan going forward anyway for when I start reusing the bottles, so might as well use it now instead of the kettle technique I've been doing.

Hey BB, I just ordered my 1.5kg of Light Coopers Liquid Malt for Brew 5. No going back for me now!  🤣

Oh, and a Nottignham Yeast for my "Euro Ale" experiment!

Edited by pilotsh
  • Like 2

Wednesday 20th May: 261 hours (10.9 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 20.7C

SG: Not tested.

Comments: Bottling tomorrow morning if SG is 1010. Expected ABV: 4.01% + 0.5

Photo(s):  Nil

Edited by pilotsh

6 hours ago, pilotsh said:

1.5kg of Light Coopers Liquid Malt for Brew 5

LME - Wooohoo - PILOT ALE (aka Brew 5) WILL BE G FOR GOLD!!!

Make sure you throw some dry stuff (LDME) in as well - but I think you were gunna do that anyway in your festive mirror recipe with isolation of change in only one variable ha ha!

7 hours ago, pilotsh said:

but PET bottles don't, s

Time to start buying some Coopers Glass Largies when they are on spesh - they are the biz for bottling...  Pale - Stout - Sparkling... come on spesh from time to time...

I rinse them out three times with hot water shaken from brand new.... and ever thereafter when I drink them.  3 hot shakes. Drain.  Dry last drops/condensation sitting in sun inside.

Wash old bent caps - and put back on by hand once cap and bottles both dry... keeps them clean till next use. Put in carton and close lid or milk crate with towel over.

Then when bottling came around - would just get 5 or so bottles in sink - boil jug - pour bit of boiling water in each bottle - shake vigorously with thumb to keep bottle sealed (thumb in food grade sterile glove) - let the hot water spurt out over the others - sterilising outside of bottles - then pop Coops Lollies in them... then fill those 5 and then cap with capper using caps sitting in shallow vessel of boiling water... upend bottle once or twice for the fun of it... and put on bench/table waiting to be taken to Secondary ferment warm spot.... oh - and write brief name on cap.

PETs work too.  And if you do 3X warm rinse and upend and drain... you will be in good shape.  Keeping them clean from day one is the ticket.

7 hours ago, pilotsh said:

Nottignham Yeast for my "Euro Ale" experiment!

Is Nottingham good for a Euro Ale experiment @Greeny1525229549 Greeny?  Or any expert Notts Brewers out there?  Or is it a bit fierce and rambunctious going berserk like...  ?

I have never used it - maybe I need to try it to someday?

Edited by Bearded Burbler

48 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Is Nottingham good for a Euro Ale experiment @Greeny1525229549 Greeny?  Or any expert Notts Brewers out there?  Or is it a bit fierce and rambunctious going berserk like...  ?

I have never used it - maybe I need to try it to someday?

Hey BB. I used notty i think 3 times. Clean and quick and made a nice beer. I couldn't complain about it but for all the styles it was suited for there was always something better for me. For English styles S04. For American styles S05 or for pseudo lagers i just did a lager. You won't be disappointed if you try it yourself though. It's not on my never use again list .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Hey BB. I used notty i think 3 times. Clean and quick and made a nice beer. I couldn't complain about it but for all the styles it was suited for there was always something better for me. For English styles S04. For American styles S05 or for pseudo lagers i just did a lager. You won't be disappointed if you try it yourself though. It's not on my never use again list .

Thanks Greeny.  From that... I don't think I am rushing to use it... but sounds quite reasonable and our mate @pilotsh Pilot should be right with it for sure.

6 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

and our mate @pilotsh Pilot should be right with it for sure.

Yep, rough plan at this stage is Brew 6 will be Coopers Euro Lager can with a BE3 as the instuctions but using the Nottingham yeast not the lager yeast that comes with the can.

And brew 7 might be the ROTM Belgian Chocolate Stout I ordered when they re-released it. 

And thinking brew 8 will be an English Bitter Can half bottled with carbonation drops, and half bulk primed with 8g/L maple syrup (transfer to small FV and stir in)

🙂

Edited by pilotsh
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

Yep, rough plan at this stage is Brew 6 will be Coopers Euro Lager can with a BE3 as the instuctions but using the Nottingham yeast not the lager yeast that comes with the can.

And brew 7 might be the ROTM Belgian Chocolate Stout I ordered when they re-released it. 

And thinking brew 8 will be an English Bitter Can half bottled with carbonation drops, and half bulk primed with 8g/L maple syrup (transfer to small FV and stir in)

🙂

Gd fwd planning in play here....👍🏽

Brew 003: Saturday 21st May: 275 hours (11.5 days) from pitching to bottling.

Brew Temp: 20.3C

FG: 1010 Steady. ABV 4.51% (4.01+.5)

Appearance: Hazy. Yellowy Straw with a hint of orange.

Nose: Raw Dough, peach, pomegranate, orange peel.

Palate: Nice substantial body. Peach, nectarine, pineapple, hints of green apple.

Comments: Delicious! I can't wait for the bottles to condition. I also conducted an experiment, see next post! 🙂

Photo(s):

1BBAC14E-ECCE-4391-AF9C-A7A2C7FC7659.jpeg

EB39637C-23A7-4B07-B1AC-3B1B52BC59D3.jpeg

• Like 1

So Bottle 31 didn't quite get full (almost, maybe 60ml short) just as the first little tiny sediment started to get picked up. I thought about a priming experiment, but maple syrup doesn't go with Pale Ale. The other half said "why don't you try the ginger syrup". And so we did: the syrup (5.5g sugars worth) dissolved in 30ml just boiled water. Cooled and added to bottle. I think I under-primed by 2 grams, but we will see how it goes!

7DB8FDA2-E54B-4294-886F-D410F7C93110.jpeg

AC8C6C00-DDF8-4304-A8B7-FCD95F0F502A.jpeg

92460F33-1F92-4A95-8D1E-96B227B0FD5D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, pilotsh said:

Coopers Euro Lager can with a BE3 as the instuctions but using the Nottingham yeast

Bit of a bizarre pairing... maybe add a can of amber malt as well to the Kit and Be3... to make more of an Aley type brew?

i.e. Coops Euro Lager + BE3 + Can of Amber Malt... and then Notts... more of an Aley Brew with a bit of body...

Hopefully after the advent of Pilot Ale you will see the need into the future for more liquid malt ha ha!!!  😜

But hey - is all a matter of taste.

3 hours ago, pilotsh said:

but we will see how it goes!

Festive experimentation Pilot - good stuff.   One of my old Brew Mentors who has his own bees suggested trying honey as a secondary carb... but now am kegging mostly...

1 minute ago, pilotsh said:

Then I have no idea why Coopers themselves recommend it!

Naaargh  mate that one went whistling straight through to the wicket keeper ha ha...

Not the pairing of the BE.... the pairing of NOTTs Ale Yeast with the Euro Lager... but maybe that too comes recommended?

I reckon if I was gunna do that brew -

Add that can of Amber Liquid Malt..  together with the Euro Can and the Notts Yeast as well as the BE...

Will make it more full bodied and Aley than plain old Lager Can will bring.

As for the Coops Euro (have made that and was not too bad)... think I did it at 15 deg C... but used Dry Malt... and not such good head and head retention.

Not quite what I managed a few months later with some All Graining ha ha...

image.png.6b9f02eec534b0a0d675000d9dfd0b66.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'm guessing the bizarre pairing was in reference to the yeast more so. 

Having done a Euro lager kit with Amber extract I can't say I recommend it. Was way too sweet.

That's it Kelsey.  Spot on - yep was in reference to matching Notts to the Euro can.

But when you did the Euro Lager Kelsey - you did a Lager with the Can Yeast perhaps?

@pilotsh wants to use Nottingham Ale Yeast...

So I was thinking that if making an Ale - and using the big chewer Notts... it will be more Aley if you added some Amber Malt.

And it would not end up too sweet like maybe a Euro Lager - with the Euro Lager Yeast cool fermented - when you ferment with Notts and at warmer temp?

31 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Having done a Euro lager kit with Amber extract I can't say I recommend it. Was way too sweet.

Mmmmmmm 🤔 Maybe I could try my first go at adding hops! This brewing is fun! 😀

11 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

Mmmmmmm 🤔 Maybe I could try my first go at adding hops! This brewing is fun! 😀

For sure Pilot.

Am keen to hear what @Otto Von Blotto OVB says about the fact that we are suggesting using Notts... and warm ferment... not the Lagery thing.

I sort of can see maybe with a cool crisp ferment on Lager Yeast... that maybe there could be some residual sweetness coming through from the Amber Malt.

But cannot see it with that festive fired-up Aley yeast Notts... Highly flocculant with full attenuation resulting in dryer beers.... but have not tried it myself either ha ha : )

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

That's it Kelsey.  Spot on - yep was in reference to matching Notts to the Euro can.

But when you did the Euro Lager Kelsey - you did a Lager with the Can Yeast perhaps?

@pilotsh wants to use Nottingham Ale Yeast...

So I was thinking that if making an Ale - and using the big chewer Notts... it will be more Aley if you added some Amber Malt.

And it would not end up too sweet like maybe a Euro Lager - with the Euro Lager Yeast cool fermented - when you ferment with Notts and at warmer temp?

Yeah it was the kit yeast but there's not enough bitterness in the kit for amber malt and then on top of an enhancer would unbalance it even more. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Clean and quick and made a nice beer. I couldn't complain about it but for all the styles it was suited for there was always something better for me. For English styles S04. For American styles S05 or for pseudo lagers i just did a lager. You won't be disappointed if you try it yourself though. It's not on my never use again list .

I have used notty a lot and I have come to the same realisation that took you just 3 goes, Hahah. I like the beers from it but on the few recipes I have done more than once, I prefer other yeasts as they can let the hops shine more in those recipes. Some of us are slow learners, me it seems 😎

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Norris! said:

I have used notty a lot and I have come to the same realisation that took you just 3 goes, Hahah. I like the beers from it but on the few recipes I have done more than once, I prefer other yeasts as they can let the hops shine more in those recipes. Some of us are slow learners, me it seems 😎

A bit like me with WB06. I tried 5 or 6 times to get banana out of it and failed everytime. Definition of stupid right there. 😆

• Haha 2

Does anyone have any information contrary to Liquid Malt contains 20% water and dry malt almost none. Doing some research for my comparison brews, I found that it is not 1:1 with weight.

So I think for my dry it should be 1.2kg vs the 1.5kg can of the liquid. (Light Malt)

I won't be pitching today as we still have a few loads of washing to do (the FV sits on our front load washing machine).

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah it was the kit yeast but there's not enough bitterness in the kit for amber malt and then on top of an enhancer would unbalance it even more. 

Right.  So that was the Coopers Euro which I think had a Lager Yeast in it.

Maybe Notts + maybe some extra hop to balance out the sweetness ?

I just think that the different yeasts can have a profound effect..... but maybe not Notts as the Brewers above might suggest?