Coopers Community

Daily diary of a virgin (first ever) home brew!

pilotsh

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mate who was on the water (the big Briny) a bit reckoned some deprobates he came across used to do "SCREECH".... buy pineapple - cut in half - and let lounge around for a while in container and subsequently drink/eat the fermented pineapple...  Your Question:  Does this home brewing ever get any easier!!!? 

Maybe that is easier?

Certainly easier! The less you control the inputs the less you can repeat the results if it turns out to be an AMAZING brew..... or pineapple! 🙂 🤣😃

• Haha 1

Thursday 30th April: 49 hours (2.04 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 22.9C. Plus minus .5C.

SG: Not Tested.

Comments: NICE bready brewy smell walking into the room this morning: good to know the yeast is nibbling away! 🙂 Krausen/Bubbles are smaller and denser now. Inside of FV is now covered in the micro condensation again. It is nice to learn what is a good ferment and now just learning the patience! 🙂

p.s. I still don't know why the instructions tell you to fit the collar with the kit: no volcanic bubbles at all..... a bit disappointing!

Photo(s): 

4FBB33B5-C466-453C-BDE2-ABFE6D10839A.jpeg

2E1B8316-4153-4362-BBF2-56DEF650332F.jpeg

Friday 1st May: 67 hours (2.79 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 21.1C

Comments: Eeeekkk! My Krausen is collapsing already. Some bald spots of no Krausen on the top. I can't see much movement! Oh no, has my brew stalled?! 😫

Photo(s): 

2187A20E-BFD1-4C38-BA78-40D2430F6BB1.jpeg

My Krause has collapsed that early on all my brews thus far and they all have been fine, mind you I’ve only tasted one😂😂😂, I’m at a higher temp up here on the goldcoast and things seem to be moving a lot quicker....

by the way, just dumped the wort and pitched the yeast on my Apa toucan, a nice of of 1.050, should be a solid abv by the end🙏

• Like 1

Saturday 2nd May: 89 hours (3.71 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 20.7C

Comments: Oooooooommmmmmmmmmmm. No change. Hopefully some action will happen by tomorrow.

Photo(s): Nil

Edited by pilotsh

Temperature of the brew is 20.6, which I thought was ok, but DIY kit instructions say 21-27C

Any thoughts on lower temperature for the Coopers Lager DIY kit?

Currently set a target of 19.9C with the heat belt to turn on at 19.2C, is this too cold?

No, it's a better temperature than 21-27 actually. However, it also works better getting it down there from the start rather than waiting a few days. Probably not much point dropping it now, I'd be keeping it around 21. And test the SG, it'll give you a better idea of what's going on than just looking at it.

• Like 2

Sunday 3rd May: 116 hours (4.83 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 20.2C

SG: Not Tested. Will test tomorrow.

Comments: No change. Noticed a little movement on the surface so still some sort of bubbles are happening.

Photo(s): Nil

Monday 4th May: 141 hours (5.88 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 20.2C

SG: 1012

Colour: Very Cloudy. Bright yellow, hint of orange. Plenty of fizz.

Nose: Raw Dough. Light orange.

Palate: Plenty of body, not watery like my first brew. Pronounced bitterness. Grapefruit, orange, lemon. Hints of Clove.

Comments: Very promising taste test today. Will check SG again tomorrow.

Photo(s): 

06E10699-7A20-4C3F-AEBC-EF7A0862D75B.jpeg

1 hour ago, pilotsh said:

Palate: Plenty of body, not watery like my first brew. Pronounced bitterness. Grapefruit, orange, lemon. Hints of Clove.

Comments: Very promising taste test today. Will check SG again tomorrow.

Ha ha sounds like you'll have slurped it straight out of the FV and without it reaching the bottles or keg?!

Good luck with the Brew Cobber... sounds like it is coming together nicely!

51 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Ha ha sounds like you'll have slurped it straight out of the FV and without it reaching the bottles or keg?!

Well I sort of did: it was a progress taste of my second brew, the Coopers Lager DIY kit.

My first brew is already in the bottles: nice and firm bottles seasoning away! I will come back with an update when I drink Brew 1, but it might not be right on 2 weeks because it only gets better with age, apparently.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pilotsh said:

So much faster that the Craft one, and that was only 8.5Lt! Always surprises in brewing. And learning! 🤓

Yes, practically 6 days is what you'd expect it to take really. Most of my ales reach FG after 5 or 6 days. They might take longer if it's a high OG brew but it'd only be a couple of days or so. 

• Like 1

Tuesday 5th May: 163 hours (6.79 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 20.2C increased to 20.6C (sunny day)

SG: 1010/1011

Appearance: Cloudy. Bright yellow, hint of orange. Less Fizz than yesterday.

Nose: Raw Dough. Light orange, mango, stone fruit.

Palate: Medium body. Pronounced bitterness. Grapefruit, orange. Hints of clove, peach and pineapple.

Comments: Very promising taste test today. Still a slight decrease in SG. Will check SG again on Thursday, anticipate bottling on Friday morning.

Photo(s): 

E92FB699-0210-432D-8A27-4A54A15D04CC.jpeg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's probably finished, if so it'll clear a bit over the next few days.  

You have a crystal ball! Check out the difference in the two photos (yesterday and today) re cloudiness. 😃

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yes, practically 6 days is what you'd expect it to take really. Most of my ales reach FG after 5 or 6 days. They might take longer if it's a high OG brew but it'd only be a couple of days or so. 

Kelsey mate if you know you have reached FG with your Ales - for kegging - do you cool them down (like cold crash for a while) and condition in the FV or do you get them into the keg fairly soon after you hit FG?   Am thinking I might try to have a rapid turnaround this weekend... US05 at 18 deg C and hopefully all done in 7 days... and get it into the keg... I could also rack from Coopers Plazzi into SS vessel and do some cold crashing in that I guess...

Wednesday 6th May: 189 hours (7.88 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 20.6C steady.

SG: Not Tested. Will test tomorrow with a view of bottling if 1010/1011.

Comments: The liquid in the FV looks nice and clear brown, the cloudiness does seem to have cleared somewhat. Will probably bottle after the SG and taste test tomorrow.

Photo(s): Nil.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

Wednesday 6th May: 189 hours (7.88 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 20.6C steady.

SG: Not Tested. Will test tomorrow with a view of bottling if 1010/1011.

Comments: The liquid in the FV looks nice and clear brown, the cloudiness does seem to have cleared somewhat. Will probably bottle after the SG and taste test tomorrow.

Hey there Cobber.  Great recording skills.

I would bounce this to @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey - but - maybe if everything is clean and hygienic and ok - if you leave it a few days longer in the FV - it will not hurt - finish the ferment...

Drop more sediment out....  condition a bit in the FV... if no likelihood of infection and no raging hurry to get the FV to another Brew - can be a good thing for it to condition for a few days.

Bottle on the weekend and put a new brew on at the same time?

I would recommend you stay away from Coopers and other Lagers unless you can brew at colder temps like 10-12 at least 15 and below.... and use good Lager Yeast like W34/70...

It is so easy to make very very good Ales at 16-18-20 deg with ease... with Ale Yeasts...  and they are quicker and less hassle.  And good if you like Ales too...

And if you want to make a jump forwards in tasty brews - try using a tin of Coopers "Ale" of some sort and then add a tin of Coopers liquid malt...

e.g. Coopers Real Ale or Coopers Pale Ale... and ADD a tin of Coopers Light liquid malt... maybe also 0.5kg of Dex or 0.5kg of a Coopers BEnhancer... maybe a small late hop steep in a hop sock...

and you'll be amazed.  Just a thought as it took me a long time to work that out in days pre the DIY Website ha ha.

Cheers and good brewing.

BB

• Like 1