Coopers Community

Daily diary of a virgin (first ever) home brew!

pilotsh

9 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Among other things I did before retirement I taught Maths for over a decade. 

Ar ha!      So you’re to blame Marty.  You must have taught math to my investment banker as he says those six zeros sitting behind the 3 and in front of the decimal point on my statement means nothing.  Then he tells me that the few zeros he has placed after his decimal point but in front of the 1 for my % interest calculation each month means everything. 

So now I know why I get bugger all interest.  Good job Marty you have taught the bastard well.  Gold star's to you ha ha. ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

And you are a year older than you think you are...... so get brewing mate and drinking mate, there's is not many numbers left.  All good banter - love it.

Sorry @pilotsh  we seemed to have hijacked your diary.  Look forward to day 35 on the your calendar (if such a day exists) to see what you report when you open a bottle or two.

🍻 - AL

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ronnie Dale said:

When you start a new job, the first day is called day one. 

Or starting a lease, hiring a car, going on a tour, starting a month.    I wonder what would happen if he used a Kveik yeast at 40c on a low ABV beer and it finished on day 0. Does that mean he has no beer?   

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ronnie Dale said:

How many hours would there be in day Zero?  When you start a new job, the first day is called day one. 

It depends what time you start counting! 😄

Yes, it might be your first day of work when you start it, but you have only worked one day when you have finished your shift!

If I pitched my yeast at 1:58pm Wednesday for example, I could only say that it has been fermenting for one day at 1:57pm on Thursday!

Wednesday 15th April: 133 hours (5.54 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 22.1C. Since yesterday, a high of 22.2C and low of 21.9C observed.

SG: Not Tested.

Comments: No notable change. However the bigger issue is I wonder who will round 5.54 down to 5 Days, and who will round up to 6 Days? 😛 

Photo(s):

FA1936A9-611A-4423-AC76-6B79A88193F5.jpeg

Edited by pilotsh
Typo
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

wort started fermentation at an OG 1.050 on 040420 at 22:30hrs with pitching time as 22:45hrs

Even more amazing is how the wort was fermenting for 15 minutes without yeast! 😂🤣

• Haha 1

Captain's Log, Star Date 6.75 (162 hours since pitch). Also know as Thursday 16th April by humans.

Brew Temp: 22.9C. Since yesterday, a high of 23.1C and low of 22.1C observed. 

SG: Not Tested. Will test tomorrow, then Sunday, then daily.

Comments: No notable change in appearance. Two sunny days of 24C have raised apartment temperature which has slowly transferred into the FV over 48 hours, however 7 day forecast shows nothing above 20C for the next seven days, so this will allow FV temperature to drop about 2C again slowly and naturally.

Photo(s):

1D2C859B-6D49-4436-9842-4A16F285751D.jpeg

• Like 2

Friday 17th April: 190 hours (7.91 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 22.1C, a straight decline from yesterday.

SG: 1025.

Nose: Light and plain. Light oatmeal and very light honey, but not sweet.

Palate: Underwhelming. Watery, with a very slight fizz. Not able to really pick up any notable flavours other that flat warm 'beer'/wheat.

Comments: No notable change in appearance. Based on nose and palate I suspect it will need quite a few more days of fermentation.

Photo(s):

5A626B84-82E9-498A-BDCC-8D1B4B541008.jpeg

0C12B8AB-A2F4-4949-9E26-8EE9528BEFF5.jpeg

• Like 1

Saturday 18th April: 211 hours (8.79 days) since pitch.

Brew Temp: 21.6C, a straight decline from yesterday.

SG: Not Tested.

Comments: No changes. A few boring days ahead.

Photo(s):

7999D4FD-4119-4D15-B782-9B03197DA9E6.jpeg

Thinking forward to bottling day, I am thinking about the yeast slurry that will be left over (is that called 'trub'?).

I would either make bread, or store it as an emergency/custom yeast for a later brew. If I store it, just place it in the fridge? Freezer? If I freeze it I assume it would last longer?

The other option is to split the slurry in half and (try to) make an awesome beer bread loaf, twice. 😎

Edited by pilotsh