Coopers Community

Why did I buy more beer?

Hilltop hops

I have so much Homebrew ready to drink e.g 2 batches of IPA, APA, stout, kit pale and raspberry wheat so why do I still feel the need to buy craft beer? I grabbed a few tonight and thought they were nothing compared to mine but cost the equivalent of half a box of homebrew! Does anyone else waste cash like I do? 

• Like 2

I do not do this too often.  However, if I have made a clone, I have to buy the commercial one to do a side-by-side taste-test.  But I cannot just buy one, usually get a mixed six.

Also get a commercial version of something I want to make (eg Saison) to see if I like the style first.  Got a Berliner Weisse to try tonight.  I have the ingredients, but not sure if to go the sour route.  The tasting will guide me.

I would call this research too.

• Like 1

I usually only buy commercial beer if I'm away from home. Take last Saturday, for instance. It was my birthday. I had a cousin visiting from Melbourne so my wife and I took him and his girlfriend sightseeing around Adelaide. With a couple of hours remaining until their flight home left, I suggested to go to Harbour Town because it's close to the airport. I don't really like shopping much.
So while the wife and our visitors shopped, I ducked down to a local Sip'n'Save, grabbed a 6 pack of Coopers Sparkling Ale, took it back to the Harbour Town car park and spent my birthday drinking alone in the car and punting on horse races.
Desperate drunk? Yeah, maybe. Happy birthday? Most definitely. And backed enough winners to cover the cost of everyone's lunch (I shouted) and the 6 pack. $$$$

*The wife drove home. Always consume responsibly. 🙂 

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I had a cousin visiting from Melbourne so my wife and I took him and his girlfriend sightseeing around Adelaide.

I presume it didn't take long.

You should have visited Lusty's Drive Through and given him a hard time.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I presume it didn't take long.

You should have visited Lusty's Drive Through and given him a hard time.

It didn't take long at all, Hairy, for a few reasons:

1. Adelaide is a sleepy old town (just the way we like it) and some might say boring.

2. There's no traffic to hold us up.

I wasn't aware of Lusty's drive through. I would've gone there if it was nearby.

• Like 1

i often wonder this...

Il support local stuff, if i see something i want to try/buy.

Went to Mr banks (seaford vic) the other day to grab some of their new beers. A sour and a Hazy IPA... $51 for 8 beers. 2 x 4 packs.

Granted 1 of the 4 packs were 500ml cans at 6.4%

But when buying like that...i wonder why i keep doing it

Every Thursday evening I like to try something new from uncle dans or the Cellarbrations near my place which has a really different craft section compared Dans.  

Im starting to gravitate to things I know and like at dans because I’m often disappointed. 

The question is....why do I continually go to the pub and get absolutely wankered  on mega swill? I enjoy the social side of it I guess.  I’m also a sucker for punishment....That and I like Mungin down on 12 nuggets and a double cheese burger with a skin full at 2am. 

Cant stop, won’t stop

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Haha 9

I found a bottle shop called saccharomyces not that far from me.I will have to check it out some time, they might be more likely to have some of the more hard to find brews.

For those in Brisbane, it's in Taringa central on Moggill Rd/Morrow St whatever it's called in that stretch of road where it splits. It's on the outbound direction.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2019 at 12:53 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

I found a bottle shop called saccharomyces not that far from me.I will have to check it out some time, they might be more likely to have some of the more hard to find brews.

For those in Brisbane, it's in Taringa central on Moggill Rd/Morrow St whatever it's called in that stretch of road where it splits. It's on the outbound direction.

My Beer Dealer is behind Brewski on Caxton St. Have a great range of local and international craft beers. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, retromaticon said:

My Beer Dealer is behind Brewski on Caxton St. Have a great range of local and international craft beers. 

I have a few solid options on the way home from work. Sturt St Cellars and Melbourne St Cellars in Adelaide both have a great range of local craft beers. Today I stopped at Dans and grabbed a few. Happy with today's selection of Balter IPA and Modus Sonic Prayer IPA. Back on the homebrew now! 

21 hours ago, retromaticon said:

Nice. I used to love going to brewski and having a few sitting out on the footpath watching the world go by. Nice spot. I'll have to check out that place some time too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 12:53 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

On the top or bottom part at the split?

On 7/30/2019 at 9:17 AM, Hairy said:

...You should have visited Lusty's Drive Through and given him a hard time.

For the record Mr. Smarty Panteroos 😜, I'm no longer working in a drive-thru. I'm now managing a walk-in bottleshop.

This winter has been soooo much nicer. 🙂

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2019 at 10:25 AM, Beerlust said:

For the record Mr. Smarty Panteroos 😜, I'm no longer working in a drive-thru. I'm now managing a walk-in bottleshop.

This winter has been soooo much nicer. 🙂

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yeah, I know. But it’s not as funny.

At least I didn’t mention the phrase “would you like fries with that?”.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Hairy said:

Yeah, I know. But it’s not as funny.

At least I didn’t mention the phrase “would you like fries with that?”.

Haha! The "would you like fries with that" phrase still slips out every & then. It was very habit forming.

I'm being patient though, as I'm sure it will pass. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1