Coopers Community

My first AG brew

PaddyBrew2

56 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Well there she is.  In all her glory. She’s a bit green as only in bottle a week but first taste and am very proud of how she turned out. Bitterness is good, how I expected. A good hint of malt as well. Mosaic pine is prevalent. Fresh hoppy aroma. Absolutely stoked.  Cheers to one and all on here for making me push myself 

A1F708C8-0212-472B-9A2F-179D1975EEB4.jpeg

'Tis honestly a beautiful thing Paddy!

To be sure To be sure.

Am having one of me own 'Learner All Grains' at the moment and the creamy mouth-feel and flavour is just GOLD.

Depending upon what you are doing... I would say that an addition of 0.5kg of wheat (in standard 23L final brew volume) or more -- from time to time -- does really assist with creamy head, heat retention and nice mouth-feel...

Just in my honest and humble beginner AG brewer's opinion...

BB

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Well there she is.  In all her glory. She’s a bit green as only in bottle a week but first taste and am very proud of how she turned out. Bitterness is good, how I expected. A good hint of malt as well. Mosaic pine is prevalent. Fresh hoppy aroma. Absolutely stoked.  Cheers to one and all on here for making me push myself 

Looks awesome Paddy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

eBay regularly has them for half price. They are usually $70 ish.  My first batch was a birthday pressie but succumbed to a clumsy missus and mates.  This is my second batch I bought from eBay for $36

What sort of glass are they classified as mate? 

And what was the lot you got 'em from if you don't mind....  

And what sort of volume in mls… 

Cheers Paddy

BB

On 7/12/2019 at 7:17 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

Looks great mate, how good is it knowing you made it from scratch..........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

What sort of glass are they classified as mate? 

And what was the lot you got 'em from if you don't mind....  

And what sort of volume in mls… 

Cheers Paddy

BB

Hey mate. This is them. Go to eBay and search for them. I can’t post the direct link from my phone for some reason. They’re on offer too at the mo

DC5D2D1C-2B01-4714-8E62-6BD5EE646BA5.png

1 hour ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

The 25$ postage is steep but maybe it’s cos of my location.  Have a look or buy direct from the seller. They have a website. Peters of Kensington. Think they’re in Vic 

Gold. Thanks Paddy. Peters of  Kenso main store I believe is near the Mascot Airport in Syd...  hence Kenso ; )

...but prolly have other stores around the country.

And in general I reckon Spiegelau make great glassware so even better!

Postage only copped $9.50bux so should receive the goods in a few days I believe.  Easier than trying to get into Sydney and out again through the horror traffic... or bog a mate to pick-up on way back from airport.

Thanks for the heads-up on this.  Should make the AG taste even better mate hey !?!  Got two cold-yeast-brews in fermenters at the moment...  for which one or other of the new glass styles will be perfecto!

Got a few more schooners from the local Charity Shop near one of my work-sites on Friday but they don't seem to have too may Spiegelau Beer Classics on the shelves at the moment 😝

Cheers Paddy - when is your next AG being done?

• Like 1

They’re a great set of glasses mate. My mega swill mates ( well my missus mates, I’ve found it hard in that respect over here )  have broke a few of mine. When they come over now they get a stolen schooner glass from the tavern so they can fill it with their fat yak 

im brewing tomorrow mate. All grain stout. My first brew day midweek and during work as well.  Let’s see how she goes

people mightn’t be getting their home loan approvals if there’s a stuck sparge 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

Looks great mate, how good is it knowing you made it from scratch..........

nice colour  it is a proud feeling when you think well this is as good if not better then similar I have tried great stuff Paddy

just did allgrain 9  is so much better imo

Edited by therealthing691
  • Like 2

They’re a great set of glasses mate. My mega swill mates ( well my missus mates, I’ve found it hard in that respect over here )  have broke a few of mine. When they come over now they get a stolen schooner glass from the tavern so they can fill it with their fat yak 

im brewing tomorrow mate. All grain stout. My first brew day midweek and during work as well.  Let’s see how she goes

people mightn’t be getting their home loan approvals if there’s a stuck sparge 

Go You Good Thing!!!  Good luck with AG2 mate - and don't forget - half a tab of Whirlfloc is quite enough 😜

And luvyerwork regards the glasses and visitors... make sure to keep those lovely Spiegelaus safe!!!  

I shall do the same - good bit of advice for the future from you and Hairy!

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:32 PM, porschemad911 said:

I remove my hop spider and put the lid on. When it's cooled to pitching temp I pour through a sanitised strainer into the fermenter. So probably not much point whirlpooling. I could always siphon instead I guess, but the strainer is easier to sanitise. 

Cheers, 

John 

John what sort of strainer are you going through - my limited experience with the festy break material is that it is all very fine... 

Paddy Mate this your thread and great work inspired me to get going -- plus I had a few days annual leave last week ... so I have AG5 and AG7 w W34/70 cool temp yeast now in Fermenters... one in Plazzi and one in SS... 

[AG6 was a terrible terrible heating-element burn on disaster which I am investigating further but did not happen again with AG7 which was a huge comfort.... sad and terrible nightmare]

So then this evening in the fermenters at around 12 deg C - a few days since pitch:

One a Helles style w minimalist hopping for those afraid of Humulus lupus..

And the other a SMASH (single malt single hops) on Galaxy Hops with Pils Malt... which might end up a bit like the German Jever (pronounced YehFer) and pretty bitter from Galaxy on the long boil... but crisp with a bit of Galaxy aroma following with late boil addition.

Both have wheat addition for head retention and mouth-feel.

SS bubbling away nicely and Plazzi frothing well...  hopefully they work out.  I have got AG3 and AG4 (two Ales) done earlier and now in secondary bottle fermentation snuggled up on their electrical blanket under some doonahs ; )     at 20degC with the electric blanket going flat-out.

Hopefully they will not grumble when they get tossed out to make room for the newbies and get out to face the cold!

image.png.c1af65e9ffde19f2f0d479eb0481289e.png

These will slow any further brewing down as likely to be in situ for at least another two plus weeks.

• Like 1