Coopers Community

My first AG brew

PaddyBrew2

12 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

See that’s where I’m confused. So much conflicting info. Even Beersmith calculates IBUs at flameout.  Others say the bitterness is minuscule. 

I know taste is subjective and I do like the bitterness whereas others would think they’re sucking on a lemon

Beersmith does a lot of things... Some better than others. 

You are going to lose a bunch of IBUs through fermentation anyway, so for your first run at a West Coast IPA cram them in (plus a few or maybe a lot of IBUs from the flameout addition as a bonus). Once it's in the glass, make a note of what you think of the bitterness and tweak for re-brew by adjusting the 60min addition. 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Hey Captain. Cheers mate.

So after my boil is done, turn off elements. Cool it down to 80. Transfer to cube and then drop the hops into the cube ?

commando or in a sock ?

Hey Paddy,

I turn off my element, let it cool for 15, then whirlpool, let it sit for 15 more by then it’s close to 82-85. 

With the cube sanitised I place the hops in then transfer the wort. I fill it to about 2 inches from the top the push the air out, then seal. I leave it lower as I use a syphon to drop into the FC later, if it’s completely full, wort spills when I put the syphon in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the immersion chiller I used hose clamps and normal garden hose.

It was a bit of a pain in the arse, but I like to have everything finished in the one day - brewed, pitched and in the FV.

I had to put a few wraps of lecky tape around the ends of the chiller to get a good seal with the garden hose and clamps.

So I would put the chiller in the wort 10 minutes from the end to sanitize and connect the hoses once the boil is finished and it is cooling down naturally.

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1

Good luck man 👍 

I'm still figuring out my no chill process to get it where I want consistently. I reckon pick a method that sounds right for you and then adjust the next one based on how it turned out. I'd even recommend doing the exact same beer so you have a good reference point. I'm pretty erratic with styles and rebrewing. It's easier to make, and notice, improvements when you can follow it up soon after.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good luck Mate! The brew looks tasty! I can only add my $0.00 worth, If you are no chilling I would probably move that 25 minute addition down. I cannot comment on the IBUs for IPA's because I don't brew them, am I a real brewer?

Anyways, my reasoning for that is it just seems like a wasted addition that will end up like a 40 min addition or more due to the no chill. I think you will get better aroma and flavour moving it to 5 min as it will then be like a 20 min addition, with good flavour and some aroma left over.

But that is just my opinion. Otherwise super stoked for you, cannot wait to see the picture of the Paddy Life IPA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cheers guys for the advice 

i have adjusted the recipe slightly in terms of hop additions after reading up on it and the consensus was the 25 mins is a waste. So I may move that to five mins and then whirlpool the rest for 15 mins. Then transfer. 

I do love a bitter brew so I’m not too fussed if it doesn’t come out as planned but I’ll be rearing to go for the second brew after I finish the first 23 litres or so. 

Gave the robobrew a good clean today using sodium perc and a small bit of sugar soap to rid the oils from manufacturing. Cannot wait for tomorrow.  

I told herself to not include me in any plans until the evening 

3F13CAD3-22FF-475D-AB5C-5249A4B1A6AF.jpeg

• Like 8

18 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Cheers guys for the advice 

i have adjusted the recipe slightly in terms of hop additions after reading up on it and the consensus was the 25 mins is a waste. So I may move that to five mins and then whirlpool the rest for 15 mins. Then transfer. 

I do love a bitter brew so I’m not too fussed if it doesn’t come out as planned but I’ll be rearing to go for the second brew after I finish the first 23 litres or so. 

Gave the robobrew a good clean today using sodium perc and a small bit of sugar soap to rid the oils from manufacturing. Cannot wait for tomorrow.  

I told herself to not include me in any plans until the evening 

3F13CAD3-22FF-475D-AB5C-5249A4B1A6AF.jpeg

Hey there Paddy, gold mate good luck with all of that... looks truly festive.  Am hoping to do one similar shortly this arvo!  (Bought meself 25kg of Ale Malt and 25kg of Wheat when down "the big smoke" the other day Woohoo.)

Mate I am currently a no-chiller too due to water and fittings issues.  A mate is off down in Tas for that crazy nude winter solstice swim thing and when he is back am hopefully going to chase up the immersion chiller thing with some good piping options for which he is rather useful for.

I have done TWO all grainers now - Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooo… so obviously there are plennnnny people on this site who will know better...

But I so far have just let me brew cool down overnight in my BIAB mash tun/boiler.  John-P911 noted he had prior good outcomes with such practice.... just make sure the lid is nice and clean and steam if off - boil for a while with lid on - and let cool - just make sure the lid stays on and that nothing can get in there - and then transfer later once cool to the FV.  I have done TWO (small sample size yes I admit) and things seemed to have worked.  I guess the key is not to allow any foreign propagules into the beautiful brew.

The only thing is that in the Ale there was more STUFF in the bottom of the bottle - and a very slight haze - which various good experienced brewing people have noted could be improved upon by a festive COLD CRASH... I love that term!  Wow.  Maybe one day too when I grow up I can COLD CRASH my brew ; )

Anyway - I hope soonish to graduate to a system with cold crashing and aim to do a re-circ through ice/icebricks because it just ain't raining here proper anymore it seems... so every drop of water not required for staying alive and (relatively) clean must be saved for BREWING PURPOSES ONLY 😜

Well I suppose I better go and charge me batteries for the cordless drill and get that mashmaster minimill up and rollin' 😵

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Half way through it. I’m sparging at the moment. No real dramas so far. Sparge is taking a bit long and I couldn’t quite reach mash out temp of 76 in 7 minutes like Beersmith says with just the small element on. Supposedly you shouldn’t use the bigger element during the mash. However I’m sparging with 75.6 degree water so that more or less assists the mashout 

75B62BDF-8C8B-46E4-BD5D-E9A8EC579663.jpeg

DCE905B6-EFE9-4002-94C5-F5A6512EB2A1.jpeg

EDBAB100-690E-4352-B1C7-4924A40C735B.jpeg

0881424C-F141-407F-BE7F-5625301041E9.jpeg

• Like 3

On 6/19/2019 at 4:24 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

Even Beersmith calculates IBUs at flameout.  Others say the bitterness is minuscule. 

You can make good pales with ONLY flameout additions. I have and do do this.

• Like 2

So I’m after hitting 1.057 pre boil. On both my refractometer and hydrometer 

beersmith says I should have been 1.050. So my efficiency is up but I know that’s not always a good thing. I’ll check post boil and see where I’m at. So far so good 

68EEB58A-3EF0-498E-834B-B39683635F5E.jpeg

• Like 3

Efficiency being up is a good thing. I think the point of that idea is more that high efficiency doesn't automatically mean better beer, not that higher efficiency isn't always a good thing. 

Beersmith default is 70% Brewhouse efficiency. On my system that works out at a predicted mash efficiency of around 77-78% I think. In reality I get about 86-87% mash efficiency. Without brewing on your system you don't really know what your efficiency is, so it's best to measure and record over a few batches to get an average figure to use going forward.

As for hop additions, the way I've done mine with hoppy ales and no chill is designed to mimic a chilled brew as close as possible. The 10 minute addition is like a 25 minute one, the flameout more like a 10-15 minute one and the cube hop more like a flameout one. It's worked well for me. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Why is it not good?

I'm with BT on this mate - honestly my first forays into AG have had higher efficiency than predicted... suspect the software just models things conservatively... always nice to under-predict and over deliver I say. 

So like OVB says above - you just need to record and keep an eye on things... Great stuff Paddy - well done on your first AG brew!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for starting this thread Paddy mate - and thanks All of you Master Brewers who have helped me get to where I am... here is a bit of a photo-documentary inspired by you lot and also Paddy's first AG... which is a huge achievement...….  this afternoon's brew-up:

image.thumb.png.0bfe456cd74222f9a2db38308cb4fbbb.png

• Like 4

Bit worried about Her and her mates to her left getting a taste for me freshly finished Brew... hopefully the Hops will keep them hopping the right direction - AWAY from my brew cooling O'Night

image.thumb.png.3f27d63b07f28b41ec7a0d9f1db25115.png

• Like 4

So all I All I finished at 1.067

Beersmith had me at 78% efficiency.  From the online reading I have done , higher efficiency doesn’t necessarily mean a better beer .

maybe it was beginners luck or maybe luck of the Irish but I was buzzing after the days end

all In all it took me 6 ish hours ( incl cleaning ) I no chilled but it was my first time ever so was happy to stretch it out 

It was a long day but I was buzzing after it

cheers to all on here for being a fountain of veritable knowledge 

EBDFBBC6-E6B4-4BD2-9DE8-3F6690200181.jpeg

AEC4E2A1-B045-4C13-83DE-F5029F6F33E2.jpeg

• Like 7

No, good recipe formulation and brewing processes make a better beer. I reckon it will turn out well. My first AG did, and I didn't have the amount of reading on it that's around now. Just a basic recipe and a page of instructions, which I still follow now, albeit some modified a little. 

Welcome to the bottomless pit 😂

• Haha 3

Good stuff Paddy. That Rabbit hole you’ve mentioned has just opened a few more burrows. 

Im looking forward to the photos when you move down south with your custom built brew shed and 3v system firing away in the background.  It’s gonna be gooooood!

Also now you’ve done one, repeat it with the adjustments in efficiency, brew the same recipe or close to then recipe formulation with your system will become very easy.

• Haha 2