Coopers Community

My first AG brew

PaddyBrew2

4 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

All malt wort should have enough nutrient on its own so I wouldn't worry about using it if you don't already have it. If you do though, it obviously won't harm anything and better than wasting it.

I agree with a caveat for “most” yeasts. Some do require more nutrients than others. Next Kviek yeast beer will be with extra nutrients for instance. 

Anyway carry on!

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 9:46 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

I didn’t. Whirlpool is just stirring the bejaysus out of it yeah ?

Whirlpooling actually drops and collects all the break into the lower center of the vessel.

I actually stir up, without breaking the surface to eliminate O2 takeup, a vigorous and quite sensational whirlpool.

15 minutes later I come back and siphon to cube. When I get to the bottom I can see all the "break" neatly clumped to the middle of the vessel.

I reckon I leave 95% of break out of my no-chill cube. 

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've started doing it again too now that I can hoist my hop spider out. I used to find that it didn't work as well as just letting it sit there, but back then I stirred it up pretty much at flameout.

Now I let it stand 10 minutes first, hop spider in if flameout hops are used, hoisted up straight away if not. After 10 minutes I hoist and/or squeeze out the hop spider and stir up the wort, put the lid on to prevent heat loss and assist with dropping out the break more efficiently* then slowly drain into the cube after 15-20 minutes. The cubes appear to be getting filled higher before the break tries to escape than previously. 

*I read somewhere once about convection currents and how putting the lid on assists with break drop out. I dunno how true it is, but either way it's good to reduce heat loss. I haven't had any problems with the resultant beers.

• Like 1

I remove my hop spider and put the lid on. When it's cooled to pitching temp I pour through a sanitised strainer into the fermenter. So probably not much point whirlpooling. I could always siphon instead I guess, but the strainer is easier to sanitise. 

Cheers, 

John 

Just took a hydrometer reading. Sitting at 1.013.  Beersmith said 1.012 is expected so i’ll Leave her be for a few more days before upping by a temp or two and then cold crashing. Dry hopped yesterday with 4gms per litre of citra and mosaic. Drank the sample and I have to say I cannot believe that I have made that.  It’s so citrussy and fresh.  I cannot wait to get stuck into it. I am going to do an oatmeal stout next week I think.  Just been looking at a few recipes online. 

• Like 2

I'd be raising the temperature now, not waiting a few days. It's practically finished anyway. 

I wouldn't get too hung up on one point either. It's entirely possible that mash conditions don't line up exactly with what Beersmith says, or the yeast don't perform exactly the same. I look at the FG prediction as more of a guide/estimate than an absolute. Generally I hit it or go a point or two either side. When it's done, it's done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Ah nice, Roebourne by the sea!!!!

So over rated

Haha.  I think Broome will just be the secondary reason.  We’re keen to just drive and camp as we head north. Land at Broome. Stay a day or two. Learn Mandarin so we can fit in with the locals. Have a matso at the brewery and head back down with more camping 

1 minute ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Haha.  I think Broome will just be the secondary reason.  We’re keen to just drive and camp as we head north. Land at Broome. Stay a day or two. Learn Mandarin so we can fit in with the locals. Have a matso at the brewery and head back down with more camping 

Lots of good spots on the way!! 

Gnaraloo, waroora station, coral bay, Exmouth (cape range NP), point Sampson, 80 mile, Cape leveque. Ok, cape Leveque is past Broome but it’s worth it.

Be a good trip though

On 6/30/2019 at 6:25 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

Matso a must when there , couldn’t rangle a tour while there , paddle sample was great, really liked there Ginger Beer 👍🍺🍻, Enjoy your trip and be safe 👍

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:18 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

Yeah we’ve decided we’re taking ten day off and drive to Broome to get some sun. Stopping off in a few places along the way. Dog friendly so can be limited.  

Aaaaah Paddy - there is the answer - need to get above 18.5 deg C - Take yer brew up North...  ten days should be just right...

But you might need to take your fridge with you as might be a tad warm up there😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Aaaaah Paddy - there is the answer - need to get above 18.5 deg C - Take yer brew up North...  ten days should be just right...

Haha! "Sweetheart, we need to take a trip up north so we can put bubbles into my beer. Yes, really. No, we won't need any apples."

• Haha 2

Well there she is.  In all her glory. She’s a bit green as only in bottle a week but first taste and am very proud of how she turned out. Bitterness is good, how I expected. A good hint of malt as well. Mosaic pine is prevalent. Fresh hoppy aroma. Absolutely stoked.  Cheers to one and all on here for making me push myself 

A1F708C8-0212-472B-9A2F-179D1975EEB4.jpeg

• Like 13