Coopers Community

My first AG brew

PaddyBrew2

I used a whirlfloc tablet but I had to lift the robobrew onto a bench so I could transfer from tap to cube. Maybe that unsettled it all.  Any ways of preventing this in future besides lifting the unit after putting the whirlfloc in 🤨

1 hour ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

I used a whirlfloc tablet but I had to lift the robobrew onto a bench so I could transfer from tap to cube. Maybe that unsettled it all.  Any ways of preventing this in future besides lifting the unit after putting the whirlfloc in 🤨

I put my urn on a wooden stool. Just taller than the cube. Makes life easy. 

Did you whirlpool before transfer?

I didn’t. Whirlpool is just stirring the bejaysus out of it yeah ?

so with the cold break in the fermenter , will it impact the beer much? I’m guessing I won’t be getting Otto levels of clarity which is fine. As long as it tastes good , I’m happy 

Paddy,

yeah it’s just stirring, but it really doesn’t have to be heaps, just enough to get a whirlpool 

Do worry mate, it’ll taste like beer. Plus it’ll only get better the more you do it. 

Next time, whirlfloc. Wait a little after flameout, stir, wait 15 mins then decant. You’ll see a heap of trub in the kettle. 

Before you decant from the cube, have a look at the bottom of the cube, you’ll see the cold break. I siphon from the highest point of the bottom of the cube for this reason.

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It's probably a mixture of hot and cold break actually. Getting a lot of hot break in the fermenter isn't ideal as it can lead to the beer going stale quicker, but given it's a style best drunk reasonably early it'll most likely be fine. The biggest issue you'll probably have is the trub level being up to or maybe over the FV tap. I had a batch do this once, ended up straining the beer through a stocking over the end of the transfer hose to keep the shit out of the bottling bucket. 

Good lesson for next time though, make sure the unit is in a position where it doesn't need to be moved before you let the break settle/whirlpool it. 😉

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can I ask a question about the colour. So you can see the colour of the wort in the hydrometer vs the fermenter is very different.  My extract beers always go a ruby red colour.  A minor annoyance that pushed me towards all grain. But now the fermenter wort looks that same reddish hue. Does  fermentation lighten the end colour ?

It always looks darker in the fermenter simply because it's a bigger volume. In a hydrometer sample it's very small. My pilsner currently in there looks a lot darker in the fermenter than it will in the glass. I wouldn't take much notice of it, it's at the glass where it matters.

• Like 3

Another possible issue there is using a whole whirlfloc tablet if that's what was done. It's an overdose for that size batch, which usually has the opposite effect of what it's intended for, in that it makes the break material all fluffy and it doesn't really settle out properly. 

You only need half a whirlfloc tablet for these size batches. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

After running some numbers a while back I bought a paltry bag of 10 Whirlfloc tablets (25g worth) from my LHBS. Rather than buggering around with breaking tablets I ground them up with my wife's seldom used mortar and pestle then poured back into the bag. For my 11l batches I measure out 0.6g of the Whirlfloc powder (along with 2.5g of yeast nutrient) on a $10 ebay jeweller's scale. 25g lasts quite a while at that rate! 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Another possible issue there is using a whole whirlfloc tablet if that's what was done. It's an overdose for that size batch, which usually has the opposite effect of what it's intended for, in that it makes the break material all fluffy and it doesn't really settle out properly. 

Ahhhhhh. Yes I used a whole tablet. Lesson learnt. Cheers mate 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah that's a good idea. I got sick of trying to cut them in half as well but just switched to brewbrite. However, if I can't get brewbrite at any stage I'll probably just get the tablets and crush them up. Much easier to get the proper dosage.  

I have only done a cuppla AGs but I just broke the Whirlfloc tab in my fingers... crumbled approx. half up... and tossed it in... and all seemed to work out ok... but I also 'cold-settle' leaving covered overnight (not quite a CRASH 😜) and think am fortunate that most of the trub sits down the bottom below the Mash-Tun-Brew-Vessel Tap... 

P911 John's method is far more scientific and precise... luvyerwork John!  ; )     Good idea.  We measure and weigh all the other shittt out so why not the Moss as well. Good call.

10 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Not a massive fan of whirlfloc. I used whirlfloc when i first started all grain. Seemed to work ok but yeah breaking the tablets was a pain. Tried irish moss when i ran out of the whirlfloc. Not only worked much better for me but heaps easier to administer as well. 

So what's the difference between Wfloc and festive Irish Moss Greeny?

10 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Ahhhhhh. Yes I used a whole tablet. Lesson learnt. Cheers mate 

To be sure to be sure Paddy you are a disgrace to the moother country nart usin' d' Moss o' d' Oirish?!

Yed 'av tort yeh wouda picked sum an brought sum w' ye?!?

😝

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

After running some numbers a while back I bought a paltry bag of 10 Whirlfloc tablets (25g worth) from my LHBS. Rather than buggering around with breaking tablets I ground them up with my wife's seldom used mortar and pestle then poured back into the bag. For my 11l batches I measure out 0.6g of the Whirlfloc powder (along with 2.5g of yeast nutrient) on a $10 ebay jeweller's scale. 25g lasts quite a while at that rate! 

John thanks for that good idea of accurately dosing the Wfloc… good idea.... but tell us more about the yeast nutrient - not done this - should I be doing this to assist in better ferment?  Am wondering what let you to doing this... ?

13 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Or get yerself a decent sized vessel and brew 46L so you don't have to cut the tablet in half!?! 😋

That was really good advice Kelsey - fortunately I have resisted the whole tablet temptation so far - and is good to know why - thanks mate.

23 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

If I remember correctly they are both sea plants but different ones.

Yes I think something algal... I shall look into it.

But you reckon Greeny that Irish Moss works a treat?

And is it a liquid application or how do you dispense it - towards the end of the boil?

44 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

John thanks for that good idea of accurately dosing the Wfloc… good idea.... but tell us more about the yeast nutrient - not done this - should I be doing this to assist in better ferment?  Am wondering what let you to doing this... ?

G'day BB,

I bought some to use in a mead. Since it self-advertises as being good for mead, wine, cider and beer I figure why not use it. Can't hurt right? And would be a shame to waste it. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

All malt wort should have enough nutrient on its own so I wouldn't worry about using it if you don't already have it. If you do though, it obviously won't harm anything and better than wasting it.

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I have only done a cuppla AGs but I just broke the Whirlfloc tab in my fingers... crumbled approx. half up... and tossed it in... and all seemed to work out ok... but I also 'cold-settle' leaving covered overnight (not quite a CRASH 😜) and think am fortunate that most of the trub sits down the bottom below the Mash-Tun-Brew-Vessel Tap... 

P911 John's method is far more scientific and precise... luvyerwork John!  ; )     Good idea.  We measure and weigh all the other shittt out so why not the Moss as well. Good call.

I don't leave mine overnight because I rarely have a fermenter ready for a batch the day after a brew day. But I do find the break material settles out pretty well after a 10 minute stand followed by a whirlpool and 15-20 minute stand. Certainly doesn't take long when kettle finings are used appropriately. 

• Like 1