Coopers Community

My first AG brew

PaddyBrew2

10 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

John what sort of strainer are you going through - my limited experience with the festy break material is that it is all very fine... 

G'day BB, it's just something like this: https://www.bigw.com.au/product/wiltshire-classic-mesh-strainer/p/7164019/

Not going to catch all the little fines but great for the coarser stuff and hop matter. 

Haha so if you believe what some say my beers should quickly become undrinkable as they age due to horrible staling.

Except that, some that make it to more than a year in the bottle keep tasting better and better. 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

G'day BB, it's just something like this: https://www.bigw.com.au/product/wiltshire-classic-mesh-strainer/p/7164019/

Not going to catch all the little fines but great for the coarser stuff and hop matter. 

Haha so if you believe what some say my beers should quickly become undrinkable as they age due to horrible staling.

Except that, some that make it to more than a year in the bottle keep tasting better and better. 

Cheers, 

John 

Cool thanks John... I use a SS Mesh Hop Spider... so hopefully am keeping most of the stuff out... I think... and hopefully on the whirlpool and settle drop some of the other...

I do fear I probably then am too eager to capture all and tip up the vat that wee bit.... to get a little bit more... which I need to smack my hand for doing 😝

Re bottle conditioning... it was just that a really good mate (whose brother actually put me onto coops brewing yonks ago) had bought all this magnificent Coopers Vintage Ale and then proceeded to store them for I dunno - 7 - 8 - ten - anyway - LOTS of years... and they all died.  Terrible terrible thing.

So 12 months... maybe even 2 years... but there will come a time when the diminishing rate of return kicks in ; )

AND of course there is Storing Conditions... he was on the coast - temp up and down - humidity... maybe if put in underground cave at stable dry temp for that time ok?

I might have to try to store some up for 12 months... 

Keen to pursue this discussion re bottle conditioning further... 

12 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Do it! Just pick a suitable beer and don't over-carb it. 

Cheers, 

John 

Oki Doki.

In general though - what are your thoughts on ideal times for post-secondary bottle ferment bottle conditioning and temperatures for storage?

19 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Oki Doki.

In general though - what are your thoughts on ideal times for post-secondary bottle ferment bottle conditioning and temperatures for storage?

Depends on the beer and need to keep an occasional eye on them as they age.

After they've carbonated, keep them as cold as possible. In the fridge is best if you have room, but if not (like me) somewhere in a cool, dark cupboard with a fairly stable temp. The more bottles you have in there, the more stable the temp will be anyway.

The priming rate for longer term storage can be a bit hit and miss. Diastaticus yeast variants benefit from a lower priming rate for example because they'll keep slowly breaking stuff down and chewing away. Another good reason to sample regularly... Can catch them and load up into the fridge before they get to over carbonated if necessary.

As an aside on storage conditions, my Mum has hundreds if not thousands of bottles of wine stored at home in Adelaide. They live in her brick garage which gets very hot in summer. So in theory they should be vinegar, but I've had quite a few 20 year old bottles from her collection that were beautiful. So maybe wine (and perhaps bigger beers) are tougher than we think. Or at the very least can still evolve in interesting ways while deteriorating. 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911