Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

33 minutes ago, grogdog said:

xpa's in general are underwhelming.

I actually like them - fill a different part of my tastes to IPA, which I only tend to drink a few of.

I used to hate most lagers (in the true sense of the word lager - not the megaswill lager that is marketed as ales), but definitely getting a taste for them now

Horses for courses and each to their own.

Mismatch Brewing Co. used to do a terrific XPA. I say "used to" as I only found out the other day they pulled it from production! 😲

I was told by a reasonably reliable source that they beefed up their pale ale recipe to make it a little more hop forward after halting production on the XPA. So that is a good thing if true.

I'll have to hunt down some of their pale ale & give it a whirl.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Mismatch Brewing Co. used to do a terrific XPA. I say "used to" as I only found out the other day they pulled it from production! 😲

I was told by a reasonably reliable source that they beefed up their pale ale recipe to make it a little more hop forward after halting production on the XPA. So that is a good thing if true.

I'll have to hunt down some of their pale ale & give it a whirl.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yeah their pale ales go alright. I've bought a few of them. 

• Like 1

I was down in Port Campbell for the week and on my way home today came across the Sow & Piglets Brewery. Stopped in for a look and a sample of the beer they had on tap. All we excellent. I ended up with a mixed 24 can slab. This one they didnt have on tap but its also exceptional.

20181214_160535.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NewBrews said:

I've got a vanilla porter on the calendar for late January.  Should get 4 months in the bottle before I destroy them over winter, which is really only a few weeks here. 

My exact same thoughts!  I'm new to home brew and also new to all the styles.. At the footy I only drink the Ace of Spades porter and love it.. Looking for a choc/coffee stout or port hopefuklly to out down over the xmas break (Holidays started today =D)

4 hours ago, supernerdy said:

Its rainy.. i wanted something different. I'm bewing a porter/stout next year!

Brew it late this year/early next year & it will be very nice to drink (after some ageing) come the colder months mid next year. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Brew it now, the ageing will do it wonders. My big stout has been in the keg just over a month now, won't be tapped til June next year.

My Extra Stout is coming along perfectly. Taste test a month in indicates it is getting better by the week. Not sure it will get to winter next year.

Time for another 21l ES brew I guess?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Brew it now, the ageing will do it wonders. My big stout has been in the keg just over a month now, won't be tapped til June next year.

Keen to try an all grain version, but don’t want to go nuts on my first ag batch. Have a nice little AG Blue Moon clone to try in slot 1, and then have a go at the porter after that.

Just doing a couple of 11l BIAB batches in my $20 bigW pot to see how it goes before the slide into the rabbit hole.

It can’t be that big a leap from a 30 min grain steep....

Edited by NewBrews

I have a porter recipe that reminds me of that Jack of spades one. It was another one of those fluke recipes that turned out so well the first time that I never changed it. Unfortunately I won't have the computer set up with internet access until next Friday unless I can find a black box or something in or around the house that they can activate remotely. Much easier to copy paste it that write it out on a phone 😜

20 hours ago, supernerdy said:

Dare I ask any recommended recipes ?

Hi Sups,

Not sure what'll be like, but here's the recipe I'll be doing - it's a Vanilla Stout, not a Porter. It's for an 11l batch. OG 1.046, FG 1.010, Est ABV 5.6%

Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
2.50 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 90.7 % 1.63 L
0.10 kg Roasted Barley (591.0 EBC) Grain 2 3.6 % 0.07 L
0.05 kg Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC) Grain 3 1.9 % 0.03 L
0.05 kg Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC) Grain 4 1.9 % 0.03 L
0.05 kg Wheat, Roasted (837.3 EBC) Grain 5 1.9 % 0.03 L
10.00 g Glacier [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 11.6 IBUs -
5.00 g Cascade [6.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 7.0 IBUs -
5.00 g Challenger [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 9.3 IBUs -
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 9 - -
1.00 Items Vanilla Beans (Secondary 10.0 days) Flavor 10 -

I might change the hops yet and go for something I have on hand given they are bittering (might be a job for Magnum 😉 ). It's based on a recipe I found on BeerSmith and simplified a little - it had 7 grains in it previously.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Well ya can...........cause they’re sh!t

What I love about west end is I can pick who drinks it miles away.

We had a new guy join us at work, before he even started I called it and yup! West End only. Typical West End drinks have a block a week also. I know of 4 drinkers only who probably are the ones keeping the brand alive

1 minute ago, supernerdy said:

What I love about west end is I can pick who drinks it miles away.

We had a new guy join us at work, before he even started I called it and yup! West End only. Typical West End drinks have a block a week also. I know of 4 drinkers only who probably are the ones keeping the brand alive

It tastes very similar to our swan draught. 

Got a few mates in Lincoln that still drink west end. Each to their own, I just think it’s terrible.

Just now, The Captain1525230099 said:

It tastes very similar to our swan draught. 

Got a few mates in Lincoln that still drink west end. Each to their own, I just think it’s terrible.

Dont disagree although I can drink it.. find it loads better from tap

• Sad 1