Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

On 11/19/2018 at 9:50 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi James, I got a six pack last week too.  Attracted by the price.  Wrapped with the taste.  Best Aldi beer I have bought.

Cheers Shamus

Gee I have developed a taste for it.  I keep going back for more but even at the bargain price it doesn't seem to be moving .  All the more for me.

Karlos, I think you need a change of law and the SA government has tried but the AHA and AMA got in the way.  Fire off an email to your MP.  That's what I'd do.

• Like 2

Cracked the top on the first of my pacific ale tonight. For my first all extract brew I was pleasantly surprised, and while it wasn’t close to what I wanted to achieve by comparison, there’s bugger all wrong with it. I’ve definitely had worse beers. Bitterness was spot on for my taste but I would have liked to get more flavour and aroma into it next time so would probably double the dry hop.. Was probably more to the pale ale side than what I expected.

Can’t wait to see how it goes in another week or so, but I’m hooked!

Edited by NewBrews
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2018 at 11:58 PM, James of Bayswater said:

Red Dot Savignon Ale...

...The first one left me with green grass, grapefruit and citrus notes.  I thought it 'peculiar'.  By the third I thought it was 'interesting' and was beginning to appreciate the blend of beer and wine yeasts that gave it its savignon designation.

Get yourself some Nelson Sauvin or Enigma hops. Preferably the Nelson Sauvin. These hops will put you in that zone if you wished to make yourself a beer of similar ilk. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Today went to the Noble Gentleman in Adelaide and had another IPA from Lady Burra. Cant go past this beer!.

Tried an Indian Red Ale fro Prancing Pony also.. must say I am not a fan of the pony and have only enjoyed their XPA.. which I had on tap and loved last Friday for free drinks!

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Free beer always tastes better.

Was happy.. set menu being a work function of SuperDry or Heineken. I found the Prancing Pony XPA on tap.. offered to pay and she said it was free.. had 6 or 8.. maybe 10? until the keg ran dry and they started giving us Furphy's and decided it was time to go home.

• Haha 3

Had our work Christmas function tonight.  Quite a good choice available.  A few stone and wood brews and coopers both on tap and packaged.  Quite liked the coopers session ale and the S&W lager as new tries,  but the coopers dry definitely wasn't on the list to try again. The Burning Brewing mid strength had a nice flavour,  but the mouthfeel felt a bit watery.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 2:20 PM, supernerdy said:

Today went to the Noble Gentleman in Adelaide and had another IPA from Lady Burra. Cant go past this beer!.

Tried an Indian Red Ale fro Prancing Pony also.. must say I am not a fan of the pony and have only enjoyed their XPA.. which I had on tap and loved last Friday for free drinks!

I'm surprised with your findings. I've been to Lady Burra about 4 or 5 times since they've opened, and to be brutally honest I think their beers are nothing special, underwhelming to say the least.  Their IPA lacks hop presence for mine, and I really think it tasted similar to a kit home brew. I'm no home brewing expert, but I think some of the K&K brews I've done with a simple 40g dry hop taste the same as their IPA.

Prancing Pony's India red ale won best beer in the world in 2016. Or was it 2017? Can't remember. But I rate it. Their amber ale is awesome as well.

No disrespect, each to their own. Just goes to show how everyone's tastes are different I suppose.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

I'm surprised with your findings. I've been to Lady Burra about 4 or 5 times since they've opened, and to be brutally honest I think their beers are nothing special, underwhelming to say the least.  Their IPA lacks hop presence for mine, and I really think it tasted similar to a kit home brew. I'm no home brewing expert, but I think some of the K&K brews I've done with a simple 40g dry hop taste the same as their IPA.

Prancing Pony's India red ale won best beer in the world in 2016. Or was it 2017? Can't remember. But I rate it. Their amber ale is awesome as well.

No disrespect, each to their own. Just goes to show how everyone's tastes are different I suppose.

Everyones different. I rate the Lady Burra IPA the others not so much. Prancing as a brand has been underwhelming - their XPA is good. The India Red is also good just not my thing (thicker but it its a red ale).

Dropped into the craft beer place near the Valley on the way to the train for a cheeky pint and had the Semi-pro brewing East Brisbane lager. Definitely more bitterness then most other lagers I've had,  but could be to style.  Don't think I'll order again next time though. 

Tasting notes said it was a Munich Helles style lager?

On 12/9/2018 at 3:21 PM, supernerdy said:

Everyones different. I rate the Lady Burra IPA the others not so much. Prancing as a brand has been underwhelming - their XPA is good. The India Red is also good just not my thing (thicker but it its a red ale).

xpa's in general are underwhelming. who wants a light APA not me.