Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

I have gone for some Megaswill today.

Started with a Pirate Life Port Lincoln Lager (the Captain would love it).

Moved on to a Pirate Life Mosaic IPA. This is a really nice beer.

I’ve gone craft megaswill too. Have a Pirate Life stout , Pirate Life IPA , feral biggie juice ( I’m getting underwhelmed by every can I drink of it ) and Beer Farm  IPA (although that’s done by a local craft brewery ) 

39 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Maybe it was old

Never had a bad 4 pines. It's a decent beer.  It's something reliable, in the miasma of craft brew envelope-pushing macho marketing madness.

Like this: Like drinking a freshly squeezed hazelnut praline bar. $7 bucks that went down the sink after a few swigs. That's extreme, even for me.

CANVENT_2018DAY_23_1500x1500.jpg?v=15456

Edited by Lab Rat

Couple of excellent Ales. I need a break from pales, and if I could brew something halfway (or even a 1/4)  as good as this from kits, I'd be stoked.

Belhaven Scots ale. Big, rich, fruity, velvety soft mouth feel, malty, but with a good long bitter finish, so not cloying.

Bishops Finger. Surprisingly, a very similar beer to the Belhaven. Lots of dried fruit, big rich flavour, but again a dry finish. Both just over 5%.

These are great examples of top beer brewing. Big flavours, great mouthfeel, complexity, but everything pulled back for the finish, so it doesn't feel like a meal.

Our craft market could do with more people doing stuff like this. Australia has an obsession with American style pale ales, and we've all drunk envelope-pushing mediocrity that's simply brewed to stand out from the pack. I've gone off trying all the new pales that come along, because I think we've hit diminishing returns a long time ago.

20190423_192010_resized.thumb.jpg.4771151ea4f82f36c02892c3fa6ae54a.jpg350

• Like 3

Both the Mornington and Bridge Road were very tasty. Pretty similar actually, would have to have them side but side to pick much difference, but I think the Mornington had a touch more milk chocolate, so a tiny bit sweeter. Hard to say what makes either of them a porter and not a stout, but that's purely academic as they're very nice beers in their own right.

I've still got one of each of the 4, think I'll drink them the same order as these. Haha I'm tempted to pour all 4 side by side to highlight the differences, but I think my wife would kill me. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

What were you expecting and what did it taste like?

Umm I wasn’t expecting a traditional Pilsner but I wasn’t expecting a floral overload. Kinda tasted like if you mixed beer and old ladies perfume. Didn’t seem balanced. It seemed like every thing in it was competing for top spot. Had two mouthfuls and gave it to the trilby. She liked it

Edited by MitchBastard

16 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Fair enough. I haven't had one like that, the ones I've tried have tasted like APAs but a little cleaner. 

Their other beers are really good. This one just wasn’t for me. Can’t cater to everyone’s taste buds