Coopers Community

Take THAT, BJCP style guidelines

King Ruddager

Well done Headmaster.

Another view with re-brewing is that you finished third in the State comp, and although NSW is generally the best state and strongest & bestest home brewing state, it may be an opportunity to tweak something to move further up in the Nationals.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks chaps. The Ben10 blonde ale was brewed not too long ago. I think it is about a month in the bottle (bottle conditioned). I’ll submit that as is.

the American wheat I only have 1 bottle left and it was brewed many months ago. I think April. So it may be best to re-brew and ferment. Don’t have much time and might be cutting it fine though, so glad I have 1 bottle left of original batch!

the two beers that I bottled just two weeks before judging day scored pretty low (IPA and smoked porter). I’ve sampled both and they are both very green and I think that is why I scored so low with those beers. The feedback sheets will tell the full story.

17 hours ago, headmaster said:

Oh yeah and yes you can enter those categories that you placed in, I can't quite be sure if you are limited to that exact style, will have to check but I think so. 

Just read something saying you can enter into the nationals, any style you choose from the category you placed in so that makes it more flexible

20 hours ago, Hairy said:

Well done Headmaster.

Another view with re-brewing is that you finished third in the State comp, and although NSW is generally the best state and strongest & bestest home brewing state, it may be an opportunity to tweak something to move further up in the Nationals.

Thanks Hairy,

And I do see what you mean, and I have added melanoiden (to mimic decoction) for the first time to the Czech BoPils that I have lagering in primary right now, and I had a healthier yeast pitch as well, plus started cool and much less H2S production, compared to the one submitted with the score of 80.  If it tastes good when bottling I will run with that version. 

Regarding states of Australia and brewing prowess, last year 2017 WA nailed it if you look at the results at the bottom of this page: http://www.aabc.org.au/

Three times as many winners as NSW which came second last, the ACT  had twice as many as NSW!

In 2016 SA creamed the field :

State
Score
SA 25
QLD 17
VIC 16
WA 15
NSW 14
ACT 13
TAS 8

2015 NSW came third, with once again WA and ACT ahead. 

State: Pts Entries
1 WA 30 47
2 ACT 27 60
3 NSW 19 54
4 SA 13 52
5 QLD 11 60
6 Vic 5 49
7 Tas 3 20

NSW better wise up and get it's act together ?

On 9/18/2018 at 10:16 AM, King Ruddager said:

You know what ... I might just convert Lusty's amber to all grain myself, or at least the grain bill. What's the target OG and IBUs on this one anyway @Beerlust?

I did that a couple of years back and it came out very tasty. I think it may have been better than my Amber Ale that won a gold in both the ACT state comp and national comp, but they were different takes on the style. 

Cheers, 

John

47 minutes ago, Titan said:

Well my result is in, my porter finished a respectable 8th. 

That's an awesome result Titan. 114/3 is average of 38 per judge, very tight field at the top end of this category. 

I was assigned the Porters to judge in the NSW comp, together with a much more experienced judge. We had 17 to judge in one morning, the whole flight, sunday morning. was going flat out, no break from 9am to 1:45pm.  English, American and Baltic. My scores were within three points of the other judge, in many cases only one point apart and in some the exact same score, so that was a good experience for me. 

Because we judged the whole flight of porters, it meant no mini BOS or best of show round was required to decide upon the placegetters. The BOS round happens when multiple judging tables are involved with one category, as they have to be for say the APA's where in the NSW comp, there were 48 entries, and the pale lagers, 37. 

Tasting some of the baltic porters submitted has motivated me to make one myself, the top end ones were just bloody amazing. 

@headmaster thanks mate for the positive feedback. Just glad the beer stacked up. Wish i had some insight on what was good and bad about the beer. However as this style of beer and its brothers like stouts and dark browns are my favourites I will be doing a few more of these and iron out the faults i think this one had. I have one bottle left of this one i was saving for the national's. Would be very happy to send it to you for your feedback.

2 hours ago, Silmaril said:

I imagine it's like wine tasting, with a spittoon nearby?

No you don't do anything so crass as spitting it out..! I think the wine judges have to do that as they are dealing with ABV 2 to 3 times higher. To feel the carb level and also bitterness characteristics as well as finer flavours and aromas, I think you do need to actually drink the beer.  

31 minutes ago, Titan said:

Wish i had some insight on what was good and bad about the beer.

There will be plenty of that with three judges scoring this beer. 

Even though we are heading into summer, I'm starting to think 8-9% baltic porter, should handle some age well and be ready for me to have a crack at the 2019 comps.

14 hours ago, Titan said:

I have one bottle left of this one i was saving for the national's. Would be very happy to send it to you for your feedback.

Hi Titan,

Only just realised you were offering to send me this fine porter of yours! Very generous of you and many thanks for that.

Maybe wait until you get your scoresheets back, they are bound to contain all and more of what I could describe, as I am only a provisional judge at this stage with minimal judging experience. Let us know what they say about it in any case. 

On 9/24/2018 at 9:05 AM, Titan said:

Well my result is in, my porter finished a respectable 8th. Im just glad that my taste and judgement of a good beer has been confirmed by this and will inspire me to create even better results.

Congrats on your Porter brew result Titan. ?

Well done!

Cheers,

Lusty.

23 hours ago, Titan said:

Wish i had some insight on what was good and bad about the beer. 

Titan,

Go to the compmaster website, hit My Account, then My Results and can download the actual score sheets. Gives the good points and bad points or areas of improvement.

Archived