Coopers Community

Take THAT, BJCP style guidelines

King Ruddager

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

Having said that ... it is also too dark now that I look at the stats. I need to bring it down by around 8 EBC

What level of roasting is your chocolate malt? There are a few roasting levels available with this particular roasted grain equating to very different EBC's & flavour impacts. I use a low roasted version (around 600 EBC) on my amber ale as it is really in there just to throw the hue & not add too much in regard to roasted flavours.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I switched to 600. Now it's ...

• 71.1% Maris Otter (4.00kg)
  • 14.2% Munich (800g)
  • 8% Crystal 150 (450g)
  • 4.4% Carahell (250g)
  • 2.2% Chocolate 600 (125g)

That gives 29.6 EBC. I'm going to use mosaic to bitter, with a 10 minute addition of willamette and 0 minute addition of mosaic again (which are effectively 15 and 5 after adjusting for no-chill)

14 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

I switched to 600. Now it's ...

• 71.1% Maris Otter (4.00kg)
  • 14.2% Munich (800g)
  • 8% Crystal 150 (450g)
  • 4.4% Carahell (250g)
  • 2.2% Chocolate 600 (125g)

That gives 29.6 EBC. I'm going to use mosaic to bitter, with a 10 minute addition of willamette and 0 minute addition of mosaic again (which are effectively 15 and 5 after adjusting for no-chill)

That's a pretty good EBC mark Ruddy (IMHO) & around the zone I work in with this beer. Most of that EBC is the hue from the chocolate malt. Inexperienced brewers would believe there is a heavy flavour that comes along with that EBC, but it doesn't in this case. With just a handful of brews of this you'll understand & pick the quantities you personally want between the crystal malt & chocolate malt that give you the balance of malt derived flavour & beer colour you are looking for.

Again, best of luck with the brew.

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 9/26/2018 at 8:48 PM, King Ruddager said:

That gives 29.6 EBC.

Will be interesting to see the finished product.   ?  I guess there will be a tasting vid in due course!  

I've brewed a lot of Ambers but always aimed more for the darker ruby red hues rather than amber as the stle name suggests, though I know in some parts of the USA they're called red ales.   I've found the 'sweet' spot to achieve the redder look sits at around 35EBC.  I use a combination of Gladfield malts - Aurora, Red Back, Shepherds Delight and a small dose of roasted barley, which I found usually does the trick as far as colour goes.   Similar could be achieved with the likes of Carared, Caraaroma, Melanoiden etc. 

?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2018 at 1:40 PM, headmaster said:

Regarding states of Australia and brewing prowess, last year 2017 WA nailed it if you look at the results at the bottom of this page: http://www.aabc.org.au/

Three times as many winners as NSW which came second last, the ACT  had twice as many as NSW!

In 2016 SA creamed the field :

State
Score
SA 25
QLD 17
VIC 16
WA 15
NSW 14
ACT 13
TAS 8

2015 NSW came third, with once again WA and ACT ahead. 

State: Pts Entries
1 WA 30 47
2 ACT 27 60
3 NSW 19 54
4 SA 13 52
5 QLD 11 60
6 Vic 5 49
7 Tas 3 20

NSW better wise up and get it's act together ?

Well we did!

Champion State (Sponsor: Newera Brewing)
(Awarded 3 points for a First, 2 points for a Second, 1 point for a Third in each Category)
Winners (tied): NSW and VIC 27 points
3rd SA 20
4th ACT 15
5th QLD 12
6th WA 11
7th TAS 6
8th NT 2

1 hour ago, joolbag said:

Winners (tied): NSW and VIC 27 points
3rd SA 20
4th ACT 15
5th QLD 12
6th WA 11
7th TAS 6
8th NT 2

NSW & VIC: Highest population percentages in the country, thus likely more entries & interest.

SA: Middle of the road population.

ACT: Mostly overpaid, thus have too much time on their hands that allow for hobbies.

QLD: Limited interest as the bulk of their beer drinkers drink XXXX.

WA: Isolated.

TAS: Isolated, & limited population.

NT: Don't give a shit about most things.

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

Archived