Coopers Community

Mead...

ben 10

On 9/23/2020 at 6:07 AM, Smashed Crabs said:

Also tempted to try potassium sorbate then back sweeten to made a semi sweet mead. Anyone used this before ?

Use a suitable yeast. I used MJs Mead Yeast and it carked it at 1.010...

On 9/23/2020 at 12:43 PM, ChristinaS1 said:

It is usually better to minimize the tannins in the first place, rather than try to remove them later. Watched an interview with Michael Fairbrother owner of Moonlight Meadery, a very successful US meadery, and he says that when he makes melomels he only uses juice (also 71B yeast, staggered nutrients, and fermentation at 17C) so that they don't have to be aged as long.

Cheers,

Christina.

Ended up getting ahold of cheap strawberries aswell to add to this so ended up being 2 kg raspberries and 1 kg strawberries so it wasn't really feasible the dump 3kg of berries into a 10L ferment so I went down the juice path.

Brought them to the boil in a large pot with equal parts water then ran a potato masher over them for a few minutes to get all the goodness out. Once done overlapped some large fine meshed strainers and a chux in each then poured the liquid through, slow process getting all the juice through but I guess I have eliminated the majority of the seeds.

Extreme deep red nearly fresh blood colour and awesome aroma. 

OG was 1.120 so this will ll be some decent melomel and I'm hoping the colour stays as deep red as it is. 

Pitched the yeast and had a foamy krausen within 20 minutes.  This is brew that's going to sit in place for 3-6 months depending on the global situation so hopefully the yeast doesn't stall but suppose the missus can be trained to fix it if required. Ordering some mead horns soon so hopefully this is the batch that breaks in the horns. 

Random observation though, had a taste of the rice malt and damn that is actually some nice tasting cheaper per a kg honey alternative! And it's meant to be a neutral flavour so hopefully let's the berries shine. 

Now the waiting game.

• Like 2

Nice....Yeah, raspberries give off a lot of colour, and strawberries some delightful aroma. Country wines and meads with a large amount of raspberries are often nicknamed "Dragon's Blood." 

The mead should not stall or take six months if you provide it with staggered nutrients. Are you familiar with the TOSNA 2.0 calculator?

https://www.meadmaderight.com/tosna.html

When I make country wine I follow the TOSNA schedule and use boiled bread yeast as substitute for GoFerm and Fermaid K and it works well. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 1

Cheers il give the calculator a look, the only reason it will be sitting so long in the FV is because I wont be home for the next few months to check on it. Will leave the misso in charge of it.

Had a look at it this morning and it literally blew the lid off the coopers craft FV, not much of it outside the FV luckily but a solid start to its ferment. I got around a kg of bread yeast here so i will also use that, in the past iv just used sultanas as a slow release nutrient but will skip them this time.

• 5 months later...

One of the guys at work keeps bees so I asked him if I could buy some honey of him to have a crack at a mead. Ended up he’s always wanted to try it but didn’t have a clue so he gave me the honey.

Being the first time and all I figured I go with the JAOM recipe just to see how it went.

Mixed it up last night in the 5l demi and a couple of hours later it had already started bubbling away.

As the instructions said, into the cupboard it went this morning so I’ll leave it alone for a while apart from topping it up in a couple of days.

038741C4-CA20-46A7-B13C-4B333F192571.jpeg

• Like 4

On 3/4/2021 at 8:35 AM, NewBrews said:

One of the guys at work keeps bees so I asked him if I could buy some honey of him to have a crack at a mead. Ended up he’s always wanted to try it but didn’t have a clue so he gave me the honey.

Being the first time and all I figured I go with the JAOM recipe just to see how it went.

Nice!

I have a bee keeper mate too that gives me homey for half the mead.
I have 5 litres maturing in my cupboard I'll have to decant soo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched a video from couple of yanks I watched years ago James and Steve Basic brewing.com. they used a liquid cider yeast bubbles not on my local brew shop list. They dry hopped with 28 grams galaxy and done the degassing. I only read first 2 pages of this long thread then skipped to this one. @Green Blob have you used any other yeast than bread? If so what suits it and will old yeast boiled serve as nutrients or better off getting powder. Have you degassed any of yours or like first link u posted in 2018 to recepie bloke says leave it alone?

On 2/1/2019 at 12:02 AM, Smashed Crabs said:

Can use a champagne / cider yeast. Meads incredibly versatile when it comes to which yeast to use and off course how strong you actually want to make your mead.

what if use a yeast that doesn’t fully ferment it bottle bombs in secondary? Or does thst depend on how far bring it down with nutrient?

ok just finished reading through all pages some use champagne yeast some use mj cider or mead yeast my local is bit limited in liquid yeast. For my first one I'm going to try the staggered nutrients and finish it off fast and dry hop some galaxy. on second attempt might try no additive and let age a bit.

1 hour ago, Green Blob said:

That sweet one was MJs Mead

1 hour ago, Green Blob said:

MJ's Mead, Wyeast 4632 and bread yeast.

All very good and all very different. Try and source some decent honey, the flavours really come through

thanks mate I'm after a dry tasting one thinking champagne yeast or something.