Coopers Community

Mead...

ben 10

15 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

So mine has finished at 1.000.

Sample tastes amazing. Like really really really good. 
I’ll bottle over the next few days and age over 12 months. Ha ha ha who am I kidding, it’ll be gone in a month ha ha ha

I'm assuming this is not sweet at all, due to FG? I did the JAOM recipe last year, and as nice as it is, especially after a year I have found it to be a little too sweet for me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Dry as. 

Cool. I might use your recipe as a base and throw in a couple of extras for some flavour. Dunno what yet but hey experimenting is half the reason we all do this brewing business isn't it?!?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lettucegrove said:

Cool. I might use your recipe as a base and throw in a couple of extras for some flavour. Dunno what yet but hey experimenting is half the reason we all do this brewing business isn't it?!?

I just made sure it was fermented cool. Like around 15 most of the time. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Going to throw down a Cherry Mead that I wont be able to touch for around 5 months so should give it plenty of time to clean itself up. Also going to throw in a different adjunct which kind of makes it a non traditional mead.

3 Kg - Honey

1Kg - liquid rice malt - just got it laying around

2Kg - Cherries

2L - Grape Juice

Might throw in some sultanas as well as I got some laying around

Wine Yeast

Made to 10L

Should be a potent dark red mead, haven't thrown the ingredients into a calculator yet but I assume it will be 15%+

• Like 2

Put down some mead more than a year ago and had it sitting in a corner all this time. It's finally time to cold crash it, to make there are no yeast swirls in the bottles.. It's bone dry and I will have to rake it into yet another vessel and then sweeten it up before bottling it. I prefer my mead sweet 🙂 

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 10:04 PM, Smashed Crabs said:

Going to throw down a Cherry Mead that I wont be able to touch for around 5 months so should give it plenty of time to clean itself up. Also going to throw in a different adjunct which kind of makes it a non traditional mead.

3 Kg - Honey

1Kg - liquid rice malt - just got it laying around

2Kg - Cherries

2L - Grape Juice

Might throw in some sultanas as well as I got some laying around

Wine Yeast

Made to 10L

Should be a potent dark red mead, haven't thrown the ingredients into a calculator yet but I assume it will be 15%+

Last minute change to the plan with this, found I had 2 kg of raspberries at home so guess I will swap out the cherries with them and the grape juice with apple pear and raspberry juice.

Still sounds delicious.

14 hours ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Last minute change to the plan with this, found I had 2 kg of raspberries at home so guess I will swap out the cherries with them and the grape juice with apple pear and raspberry juice.

Can you clarify: are you using whole raspberries in the ferment or pressing them into juice?

Be careful with whole raspberries. All those little seeds make them very tannic. Better to squeeze them into juice before putting them into the FV.

Cheers,

Christina.

8 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Can you clarify: are you using whole raspberries in the ferment or pressing them into juice?

Be careful with whole raspberries. All those little seeds make them very tannic. Better to squeeze them into juice before putting them into the FV.

Cheers,

Christina.

Cheers but I was going to use Polycar at the end of the process to help remove the excess tannins. So I will be keeping them whole for this process.

Also tempted to try potassium sorbate then back sweeten to made a semi sweet mead. Anyone used this before ?

6 hours ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Cheers but I was going to use Polycar at the end of the process to help remove the excess tannins. So I will be keeping them whole for this process.

It is usually better to minimize the tannins in the first place, rather than try to remove them later. Watched an interview with Michael Fairbrother owner of Moonlight Meadery, a very successful US meadery, and he says that when he makes melomels he only uses juice (also 71B yeast, staggered nutrients, and fermentation at 17C) so that they don't have to be aged as long.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 1