Coopers Community

Mead...

ben 10

2 June I added 1 kg frozen Blueberries. Today I decanted my blueberry/spruce mead. and put it in the fridge for cold crash. FG 1001.  

Taste is meek blueberry and spruce but not much honey. Should have had slightly more lemon perhaps. I think this will be a very nice summer drink when it's carbonated. 

blåbär-gran-mjöd 190613.jpg

Edited by der kleine Drache
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Popo said:

Mine formed initially but was gone after a day or so.

Yeah not much krausen. I believe that is a product of malt, apple cider doesn't really hold a krausen either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bottled the Pine Blueberry Session Mead some days ago and primed the batch with 150 grams of honey. While labeling I had a taste of the unfinished product. First it is bland blueberry and then the pine comes on strong. The honey is not there to taste. I have no idea how this will turn out. I like the pine taste but it feels like something is missing to make this drink a hit.  

blåbär-gran-mjöd 190704.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, der kleine Drache said:

I bottled the Pine Blueberry Session Mead some days ago and primed the batch with 150 grams of honey. While labeling I had a taste of the unfinished product. First it is bland blueberry and then the pine comes on strong. The honey is not there to taste. I have no idea how this will turn out. I like the pine taste but it feels like something is missing to make this drink a hit.  

blåbär-gran-mjöd 190704.jpg

The colour is amazing though!

I looked at your recipe earlier and thought I'd like to add blueberries to my next one.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

3 days ago I put 3 in the fridge. Today I tried one sitting in the sun. Very nice. The pine smell is very intense but the taste not as overwhelming. Bleak but very summery lightly sparkling drink. I could drink a lot of these just sitting in the sun. Next time I'll put in more lemons and blueberries, if I ever do this again. 

IMG_20190714_172423.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My mead has been in the carboy for a couple of months. The recipe was just the regular J.A.O.M using bread yeast.

It's cleared right up but the gravity is still at 1.042 and has been there for a couple of weeks. (I didn't check OG) I have looked around and it seems it's meant to finish lower than this, though this varies from site to site. About half of the fruit has dropped out of suspension.

To anyone mead makers who have made this before: What final gravity should I expect? Reckon I need to do something to get it down further? 

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted in a while, kind of took a step back from brewing for a little but just put down a mixed berry mead. Was kind of a mixed bag of ingredients but hoping the 2kg of strawberries, blueberries and blackberries impart a decent flavor. Base is honey but I used a bit of LDM and some Dex I had laying around to give it a bit of a kick. Also made this as a 23L batch so it can be a bit more sessionable.

• 4 weeks later...

Having a taste of the raspberry mead with my wife. Not yet bottled. Sweet and very strong. The smell is totally raspberry de luxe! Very nice flavour. This is like a grown up dessert. 

4 kg raspberry, 1 kg red currant, 0,4 kg rhubarb, some lemon, 9 kg honey, + 2 l leftover homemade apple and rhubarb cordial. Made 23 litres. 

My wife loves it and forbids me to give bottles away for Christmas. Gonna do it anyway. She's such a slow drinker. 

IMG_20191105_191736.jpg

• Like 4

@Ben 10 ive saved the recipe benny, & iam keen to make it up, (maybe not pour it into a prawn cocktail chalice like above) but iam keen for sure, also i know a mate who harvests his own local honey too.

but ive got to stock pile some beers & cider for summer brother as iam dangerously undersupplyed, a sober summer/Christmas is just too horrible to imagine.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...