Coopers Community

Mead...

ben 10

6 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

Don't recall how much I used and it was some Lallemand one someone gave me. OG was around 1.1

did you do any de gassing or anything? too much info out there not even sure if essential or something people made up or prefer.

6 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@ChristinaS1 when staggering nutrients do you just sprinkle into fv and leave it or needs to be stirred in?

Stir it in.  Unlike beer, mead should be stirred on a regular basis.

You mention sprinkling, which makes me wonder if you talking about using Fermaid K (tan powder) and/or DAP (white crystals). Neither of these should be used during rehydration but can be used for Steps 1-3.

If you check this SNAP calculator it will provide three different nutrient options: https://www.meadmakr.com/batch-buildr/ I use a modified TOSNA 2.0 schedule. Since I can't buy either GoFerm or Fermaid O I used boil bread yeast as a replacement, and I use Fermaid K (tan powder sold at most LHBS) for Step 2 at 48 hours, which I dissolve it in a mug with a bit of boiling water from the kettle. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@ChristinaS1 I have the white crystals so I should be ok to sprinkle these and stir into wort? then also during ferment staggered?

No! DAP is toxic to yeast in the early stages, and should not be used until fermentation has started / Step 1, which is 12-24 hours after pitching. Please check the link I provided a couple of posts ago. You will see that DAP should not be used alone. Note that the amount of Fermaid K and DAP in the orange "ingredients" box is the total for Step 1-3; the calculator will tell you how many grams of each to use at each step. If you don't have Fermaid K, use bread yeast instead. Bread yeast can also be used as a replacement for GoFerm in the rehydration step.

I suggest playing with the calculator for a while so you can see how it works. Trying moving the sliders. It will give you step by step instructions and also tell you when to stir and when to rack. 

DAP crystals do not have to be boiled per se but you might as well add them to the pot if you are using bread yeast for Fermaid K.

Fermaid K does not have to be boiled either; the yeast in it are already dead. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1

5 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

shit what an overload they knew I making mead and give me something can't add 

You can add it, but not by itself, and not until fermentation has started. Personally I don't bother with it and just use boiled bread yeast right from rehydration through to Step 3.

Edited by ChristinaS1

1 minute ago, jamiek86 said:

ok thanks then after started can just sprinkle it in? what about dry enzyme for low carb beer as substitute? @ChristinaS1

Yes, after fermentation has started you can just sprinkle it in.

I don't get your second question. Are you asking if you can substitute DAP for dry enzyme when making beer? No, you can't. DAP will not lower the final gravity of beer, or reduce carbs, or increase the ABV of beer the way dry enzyme does. 

Just now, ChristinaS1 said:

Yes, after fermentation has started you can just sprinkle it in.

I don't get your second question. Are you asking if you can substitute DAP for dry enzyme when making beer? No, you can't. DAP will not lower the final gravity of beer, or reduce carbs, or increase the ABV of beer the way dry enzyme does. 

no can I use dry enzyme that would use in beer for mead? would it act like a nutrient?

3 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

no can I use dry enzyme that would use in beer for mead? would it act like a nutrient?

Dry enzyme is not a nutrient. I don't know what effect, if any, it would have in mead. 

Edited by ChristinaS1

ok first mead with help from @ChristinaS1 little bit nerving to spend so much for so little volume I hope it's good i Warmed honey tub as would beer extract tin in warm water before mixing. Mixed 1.5 litres Beechworth honey in 3 litres water 48 degrees Celsius then added to fv with 1 kitre cool water and little ice stirred in.

Just under 4.5 litres OG: 1.112 pitched MJ yeast 10 g at 21 degrees Celsius here is hoping it's good.

20210409_132127.jpg

20210409_132117.jpg

20210409_130206.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

ok first mead with help from @ChristinaS1 little bit nerving to spend so much for so little volume I hope it's good i Warmed honey tub as would beer extract tin in warm water before mixing.

probably should the JAOM would have been the best bet for the first one. All the best though!!!

11 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

probably should the JAOM would have been the best bet for the first one. All the best though!!!

just wanted try straight up plain mead to begin with but also if all goes well I'm considering dry hopping with galaxy as I saw video from some yanks that done it and reckon was good.

5 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

I have no idea why you would do that.

The JAOM is THE simplest no nutrient set and forget mead there is.

maby next one this one already put down what I do at end all depends on fg if I can get it nice and low so comes out dry will leave it as is. Why would you not try different hop flavour in mead? It's not going to be in a competition where it needs a particular style. Isn't experimenting what it's all about if bad don't do it again.

Not much different filling it with berries and still calling it a mead.

Edited by jamiek86