Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

On 12/18/2018 at 10:43 PM, tja1980 said:

@Beaded Burbler, haven't had the chance to re-activate coopers yeast, I've only read good stories so I'll give it a crack in the new year 🙂

Yeah the people on here are great, even after 2 years going on 3 I make silly mistakes, so always learning new things.

I haven''t looked too much into yeast, its on my list for next year, with hops and water temp control, may just get a ink bird for me brew fridge and leave the mk 2 for me kettle.

Tristan

My first tasty Wheatie was just with the kit packet under the lid... and have done well... from the experts (our lot)( there seems to be a debate whether it is Munich or WB06.

I am going to do my next Wheat with the Saflager WB06... so who knows - might end up being the same old same old yeast.

This time just to confuse things and not keep the conditions the same to test whether it is the YEAST or just a whole swag of other variables ; ) I am going to cut the dex and only have malt extracts... and prolly go up to 24 to see if I can get a few more funky flavours... am not a real funk person...  but deffo more Franziskaner than Erdinger... though both of those German Weissbiers are good stuff...   will be good to see what happens.

Are you already doing the all-grain thing? i.e. kettle

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, tja1980 said:

@Bearded Burbler yeah I did a shower session ipa from beer & brewer, that was my first all grain on my kettle that I modified (see here) picked up a few things I need to dial in, will still be doing extracts though, you could do a few extracts in the time it takes for an all grain brew.

Really want to do a white ale.

Tristan

Thanks mate.  Good stuff.  More and more information as the journey continues down the Rabbit Hole! 

Yeah be careful with the brew gear you expose to BRETT. From what I've read, if it gets into nooks & crannies, it can be very hard to get rid of, & can potentially ruin standard yeast batch brews over & over if remnants remain.

Take that advice for what you feel it's worth.

Cheers,

Lusty.

3 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

well aware thanks mate. 😲

still don't know what to do. maybe i should buy another keg for it?

Anything stainless should be OK, I'd bleach soak it afterwards.

If you're going to do this regularly I'd reserve a fermenter, tap / line and keg for them.

If only doing them occasionally, use separate plastic, bleach the stainless and replace the beer line.

I've been trying to work out how I can use 9097 without turning into an all-brett brewery. Probably reuse equipment and just bleach it afterwards. 

Cheers, 

John 

19 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

hydro test today, below 1.000. smells good, licked the hydro, tastes good.

not quite below, couldn't see it yesterday.

IMG_20181221_124433.thumb.jpg.a390b7e32b649acac95486e70e2ee16b.jpg

taste from the tube was great, slight wine, slight sour.

i went with bottling.

46 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

What damages a hydrometer? Mine is now consistently reading four points under reality - as tested with 20c water. 

Dunno really but I had one that started doing that once because it sprung a leak and was taking on liquid. It was one of those two piece constructed ones where the weight at the bottom is attached to the main part. The one I bought after that and am still using is a single piece construction and has been reading the same 0.998 in 20°C water since I first tested it. Must have had it about 5 years now.

Dear All Grainers:

When purchasing malted grains - you purchase whole malted grain mostly - and grind them yourselves.

How fine/coarse do you grind?  Is it whatever your mill produces or are there designated mills for the purpose.

I have a mate who has a nice electric mill - he grinds flour for making bread - he can adjust the settings but not sure quite how coarse he can grind...

Videos I have watched seemed to have the grain ground quite coarse or so it appeared to the non-experienced malt extract brewer's eye.

Guess if the grinding-prep is a little more coarse then maybe you can keep the stuff off the element of the mash tun...

I have a hand roller for rolling oats... it might take a while to do a few kg of malt... but might that do the trick?

Any advice would be most welcome!

You can get it milled by the brew shop but I prefer having my own mill and buying it unmilled. This allows bulk buying instead of batch to batch so I have whatever I need on hand each brew day and just mill what's required for the batch, and I can change the mill gap settings if required too. 

You basically just want the grains cracked open. Some guys who do BIAB tend to crush them finer but in my own experience it doesn't work as well. However, you may find it does. It's one of those things you have to work out for your own system, which having your own mill makes much easier to do.

I'd buy a proper grain mill, they are the best tool for the job.

Woot Rye IPA with Kviek finally into FV and pitched. 

Allowed headspace to balance out for an hour with airlock and just switched to a blow off tube.... One hour from pitching and it's already got positive  pressure , condensation in lid so clearly starting to ferment. 

Got a Hefe I'll keg off today , was going to leave it sit longer but hydro sample says finished,  it's clean with just the right flavour 

2 brews in 2 days 😎  Both pimped up kit Pale Ale with hop boils.

Almost the same apart from some variation of hops.  1 has US05, the Other Notty, so will interesting tosee how different they are.

Used up the remainders of centenial for bittering in both and a mix of amarillo, cascade and galaxy for some flavouring.

Looking forward to tasting and happy ther 50 ltrs in the pipeline plus 1 keg nearly carbed for Xmas,

cheers Guvna

What's NOT in your fermenter..............

PASSIONFRUIT BEER.  I checked fermentation fridge earlier today and was hit in the face with a strong solvent smell.  I don't believe it was due to the addition of the Passionfruit pulp.  To be honest there was a slight hint of solvent at day 4 of fermentation when I added the fruit.  The hydro sample was nail polish remover   😥

Most reading that I have done suggests a high fermentation temp as the cause.  Not to sure in this case  🤔

TIPPER 👎

Cheers,

Dave

Hi All, 

Seasons Greetings.

I've got 2 batches on at the moment, after bottling 42 litres of pale ale on Friday I put down a Toucan Stout and an Ale on Saturday.

Made the Ale a simple one, 1.7kg Coopers Ale kit, 1 kg raw sugar, kit yeast mixed to 21 litres, just a cheap summer guzzler... 

Toucan was a 1.7kg Coopers Stout, 1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale, 1 kg Raw Sugar, 2 packs kit yeast, mixed to 18 litres ( will top up to 23 litres once krausen backs off!! )

Couldn't fit krausen collar on in my fridge so fingers crossed it doesn't get much bigger.....

IMG_20181223_212549.thumb.jpg.d4cdc6af4bcd19f922ba05c0c8516826.jpg

24 hours post pitch.

IMG_20181224_085131.thumb.jpg.3913722432c00ecf87bf088899a8d6a9.jpg

36 hrs post pitch....

Cheers, Lee

Just pitched the yeast into the first batch to be fermented here. It's a lager brewed with Hallertau and Saaz, fermenting with 2278 lager yeast at 10 degrees. 

I only got 20 litres in the fermenter due to cube crud and it not being completely full, so I might not get any bottles from this batch. Don't know the OG but it is written in my brew book and is on beersmith as well. From memory it was about 1.050-51.

I couldn't find the duct tape I could swear I've taken from the old place so the probe is dangling in the fridge at the moment. Heading out soon with Bunnings being one place we have to go, so I'll just grab another roll and fix the probe to the fermenter when we get back. I figure it obviously won't start fermenting in that time so no harm done.

My equipment is minimal and it's all pretty much where it should be already so it should be pretty easy to get it all going. Just gotta bring the computer around or download beersmith to the laptop to make up a recipe. 

Forgot to get duct tape at Bunnings but went to the old place along the way back and discovered I didn't even bring the original stuff so grabbed that and will sort the fermenter out.

Archived