Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 13.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 59.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
14.87 g          Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)                  Water Agent   1          -             -             
3.28 g           Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash)                        Water Agent   2          -             -             
2.50 g           Calcium Chloride (Mash)                          Water Agent   3          -             -             
1.49 g           Baking Soda (Mash)                               Water Agent   4          -             -             
0.35 g           Salt (Mash)                                      Water Agent   5          -             -             
4.50 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         6          77.9 %        2.93 L        
1.00 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         7          17.3 %        0.65 L        
0.25 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         8          4.3 %         0.16 L        
0.02 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         9          0.4 %         0.02 L        
20.00 g          Topaz [17.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min            Hop           10         37.3 IBUs     -             
20.00 g          Topaz [17.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           11         10.3 IBUs     -             
20.00 g          Victoria Secret [19.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20. Hop           12         11.8 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) [124.21 ml]       Yeast         13         -             -             
50.00 g          Victoria Secret [19.60 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days     Hop           14         0.0 IBUs      -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/25/2018 at 5:57 PM, Smashed Crabs said:

Put down a beer similar to the Hop Gobbler, had to deviate a bit due to ingredients on hand but hopefully comes out alright.

1 x Coppers EB kit

1.5k LDM

.5kg Brewing Sugar 

.2kg Chocolate Malt - steeped 30 mins then boiled

20 Gram each Fuggles and EKG @ flameout

25 G each dry hop 

US-05 and kit yeast pitched @ 20°

Made to 25L 

OG 1.051 ( still had a lot of LDM lumps .. Just wouldn't dissolve ) 

Bottled this tonight .. took a sample and yeah think the 200grams chocolate malt was to much. Strong Smokey flavor over powers the hops hoping this weakens. It's probably the first beer iv made that I wasn't happy with.. oh well 

15 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Bottled this tonight .. took a sample and yeah think the 200grams chocolate malt was to much. Strong Smokey flavor over powers the hops hoping this weakens. It's probably the first beer iv made that I wasn't happy with.. oh well 

I got a smokey flavour from my latest EB too.  So that may be contributing to your brew.  Not sure if it is meant to have that flavour.  The first one I did over a year ago had a banana flavour due to being fermented a bit warm.  That didn't harm that one though.

Cheers Shamus

12 hours ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Strong Smokey flavor over powers the hops hoping this weakens.

https://learn.kegerator.com/off-flavors-in-beer/

Phenolic

Perceived As:

Bitter, spicy, herbal, drying, tea-like, clove-like, smoky, band-aid, medicinal.

Approx. Flavor Threshold: 

0.05 – 0.55 mg/l

Importance: 

This is usually considered an off-flavor, but can make up a small element of the character in stouts and other ales. They are also a major contributor in German wheat beers. 

Effect of Aging:

Won’t really increase or decrease, if it’s in the beer it’s generally there, at that level, for good. 

Caused By:

Can be caused by wild or specialty yeasts, contaminations, Chlorophenol presence in tap water, chlorine sanitizers, and improper sparging technique.

How To Avoid/Control:

• Use yeasts that will produce fewer phenols.
  • If brewing with tap water, be sure to filter it first.
  • Either rinse well after using chlorine sanitizers or use non-chlorine sanitizers, such as Star San.
  • Use pure yeast strains and take proper precautions to ovoid wild yeast contamination during fermentation.
  • Don’t over-crush your grain.
  • Don’t collect wort below 1.008 SG.
  • Keep sparge above 6.0pH and temperature below 168°F.

I have only had a smokey flavour from smoked malts, yours could very well be another issue.

Cheers Ben, when I pour one in a few weeks time I'l see how She  goes.  I originally bought the malt for a stout and told the guy the store that. When I steeped this it smelt like smoked coffee beans. Wondering also if he gave me the correct malt as iv never used dark malts before.

Have a Shower Session IPA on the go at the moment, not impressed I missed my strike by 4 degrees, dialing in the new kettle seems I need to adjust my heat temp maybe 18 degrees more then strike temp, seem to loose alot of temp transferring from HLT to Mash Tun.

Tristan

Hey Brew Dudes

Brewed properly today with all freshly purchased ingredients from the LHBS. I'm back.

Cascella Valley Pale Ale

OG came in at 1.057 so I'm looking at at big American Pale Ale.

Late hopping provided by Cascade and Ella. Fermenting with US05.

Cheers & Beers                                                                                                                                                                                                            Scottie                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Valley Brew

1.5 kg Pale Malt
1.5 kg Pilsner Malt
500g Rolled Oats
500g Pale Wheat
200g Pale Carra
150g Cara-pils

4 points off me strike temp of 79.5

90 Minute Boil with OG meant to be 1.049, I don't think it will get over 1.030

Tristan

OG ended up being 1.043, target was 1.049.

I got 19 liters into FV, was meant to be 23, didn't add additional water for a 90 minute boil, also was 4 degrees under my strike temp and was 2 degrees higher on my mash out.

Have one more to do today. 😄

Tristan

Did a get rid of old crushed malt batch today. They are getting a bit long in the tooth. 

5kg BB pale

500gm wheat

200gm carabelge

250gm melanoiden

100gm light crystal

Mashed at 64c for 75 mins

30gm magnum @ 60 mins

500gm homemade candi syrup @10 mins

10gm coriander seed

40gm cascade steeped for 15 mins @ flameout.

Was expecting 1076 in 19L for a slightly sub 70% efficiency as the robobrew struggles with high grain bills. To my surprise 1080 for almost 75%. 

Cooled and split in two and topped up with water to 19L for 2 ferments. 1 with the 3724/belle blend and the other with BE124. 

Should be tasting them about New Years.

I put this down today. I was going for an OG of 1.044 but got 1.050, due to the scale shutting off once and my son "helping" me once, but it is all good. The bitterness was affected dropping from 30.4 to 28ish but that should be barely detectable. Might see how the fermentation goes and try to have this on tap by the 25th...we will see, it will be green but brulosophy does it so...yeah it will be green but hopefully should be drinkable. My Cousin in law is a new brewer so I want to show him this batch but if not we will have the remnants of the ginger beer left.

Screenshot_20181209-194354.jpg

Screenshot_20181209-194418.jpg

Archived