Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 13.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 31.2 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
8.24 g           Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)                  Water Agent   1          -             -             
2.13 g           Calcium Chloride (Mash)                          Water Agent   2          -             -             
3.00 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         3          60.0 %        1.96 L        
2.00 kg          Munich Malt (17.7 EBC)                           Grain         4          40.0 %        1.30 L        
35.00 g          Hallertauer Hersbrucker [6.00 %] - First Wort 60 Hop           5          24.7 IBUs     -             
20.00 g          Hallertauer Hersbrucker [6.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpo Hop           6          6.4 IBUs      -             
mj's bohemian lager

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A quick 'back to basics' brew today...   an extract Brown IPA built on a Coopers Dark Ale can and 3kg LME. 

Boiled 25g of Pacific Gem (risky!) for 5 mins and also had some Motueka and Kohatu hops that I needed to use up so they went in for 30 - 40min while things cooled.  I'll be chucking a bunch more in dry in a 4 or 5 days time.  I expect the ABV to be around 6%.

Mangrove Jack's M42 yeast - my current "go to".  😎

5 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

I used that one in my recent Brew A 7.1% brew... hoping it works well!

Seems to be pretty clean, with both high attenuation and flocculation.  😎   An amber I brewed recently seems to be a tad drier than its predecessor and high flocculating yeasts like this one do seem to produce beers with less chill haze.

A random brew day for me thought I had more Munich so had to improvise with what was on hand .. hope it works haha.  Not a very hop driven beer but see how She goes. BBQ burner used cause it was a cracker of a day.

4.5kg - Pale Malt

.5 - Amber 

.150 - Carapils

.250 - Crystal 

Split into two batches to make 23L

19L Pot / BIAB

75 mins Mash 

60 mins Boil

25g -Delicious Magnum ( actually smells pretty good )

@ F/O -80°

15g each - Galaxy / Centinial / Amarillo 

Dry Hop - 25g Each 

Yeast - Coopers Commercial Yeast and US-05 Slurry

20181218_182653.jpg

13 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Has it's benefits.. Just ask Marilyn Manson 😂🤣

Beef shorties are good. How'd you cook them?

I did some a few months back in my Sous Vide for 24 hours.. then on the Weber for 8. They were awesome. 

Love my beer, love my Weber!

On 12/16/2018 at 8:12 PM, Koo wee brew said:

...I'm a bit worried adding fermentables (Passionfruit pulp) back into a finished beer in case it kicks of fermentation again.  I have had this happen with a cider that I back sweetened with apple juice in the keg after CC and at serving temperatures! 

So don't Dave. I don't like the idea of adding the fruit during or post-fermentation either for the reasons you mention.

I'm no expert in this area but do have some firsthand experience with a few methods of adding fruit. For adding the flavour of the fruit I have had some good success with adding the fruit to some sugar/dextrose & a little water in a pot & bringing to the boil to make a "compote" or "lumpy fruit wort". Once at the boil, lower the heat to a simmer & breakdown the fruit to release a lot of its flavour into the liquid. With berries (in particular) I reckon it's a good method.

Adding this fruit wort with the rest of your ingredients prior to pitching your yeast is the best way to guarantee that the fruit sugars ferment out fully.

There are some pectin based astringency aspects to using fruit & some additives that can help with that, but I admit I'm not fully up to speed with those at this point mainly due to the fact I don't regularly make fruit infused alcoholic beverages to have looked deeply into this area.

I stand by the method as I produced a lovely flavour & aroma in a blueberry porter recipe using it. Follow the method & simply adjust weights to suit your individual liking's. 

You won't be disappointed. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

8 hours ago, Beerlust said:

So don't Dave. I don't like the idea of adding the fruit during or post-fermentation either for the reasons you mention.

it worked perfectly well with the passionfruit sour i made which also dropped very clear.

2 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

it worked perfectly well with the passionfruit sour i made which also dropped very clear.

I guess it's a personal choice. I had no noticeable drop off in flavour by adding it prior to pitching the yeast.

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 12/18/2018 at 4:31 PM, BlackSands said:

A quick 'back to basics' brew today...   an extract Brown IPA built on a Coopers Dark Ale can and 3kg LME.

23L batch BS ?  Am looking at something similar... if using LDME rather than LME 3kg - what sort of kg do we think?

1 minute ago, BlackSands said:

Yup, 23 litres.   If you're aiming for a similar OG/ABV then around 2.5kg DME would do it.

Ripper.  Thanks mate.  Got plenty Light DME so that will be easy. 

What was the make-up of that deep-red coloured brew you had a great photo of a while ago... using extracts? 

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

What was the make-up of that deep-red coloured brew you had a great photo of a while ago... using extracts? 

That was probably my partial-mash Amber Ale brewed recently.  2.25kg mashed grains plus an OS lager can.  You could achieve something similar with extract with the addition of steeped grains.  I used 250g each of Gladfield's Aurora, Redback and Shepherds delight along with 50g dark choc malt to help bring out the red hues.  😎

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

That was probably my partial-mash Amber Ale brewed recently.  2.25kg mashed grains plus an OS lager can.  You could achieve something similar with extract with the addition of steeped grains.  I used 250g each of Gladfield's Aurora, Redback and Shepherds delight along with 50g dark choc malt to help bring out the red hues.  😎

Thanks mate that sounds good.

Archived