Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johnny! You saved my dignity with that post, see there is a difference, but I am picking up from actual use that they all are pretty similar, not a bad thing at all.

I will be trying the US-05 on my next pale ale or if things work out I will splurge and get some wlp 001. I will also try to reclaim some slurry from this joystick yeast which is supposed to be a pacman clone or something. It has been aggressive so far but clean.

I heard horrible things about the CTZ hops that is why I only buy Columbus hops for this brew. The crazy LHBS guy tried to give me some CTZ once, but me being no sucker quickly informed him to bring me Columbus or nothing! He heard me, because it only took him like 5 seconds to have a bag of columbus hops ready, I must of rattled him because he accidentally wrote CTZ on the package and scribbled it out. Hahah. What a maroon! 🃏

4 hours ago, Norris! said:

I heard horrible things about the CTZ hops that is why I only buy Columbus hops for this brew. The crazy LHBS guy tried to give me some CTZ once, but me being no sucker quickly informed him to bring me Columbus or nothing! He heard me, because it only took him like 5 seconds to have a bag of columbus hops ready, I must of rattled him because he accidentally wrote CTZ on the package and scribbled it out. Hahah. What a maroon! 🃏

I went to get some hops the other day, 50g Simcoe, 50g Warrior. 

It was 1 in the arvo and the owner was that drunk, couldn’t remember which package was what. I said, I’m not taking either than mate. Just give me a full bag of each.

49 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Really enjoying the chinook peppery/spicy bitterness. 

Chinook is an excellent hop. Particularly in Pales & IPA's.

It's almost a mainstay in my fridge these days.

Cheers & good luck with the brew,

Lusty.

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Chinook is an excellent hop. Particularly in Pales & IPA's.

It's almost a mainstay in my fridge these days.

Cheers & good luck with the brew,

Lusty.

Certainly is. I brewed a beer about a year ago that had predominantly chinook in it. I really enjoyed the peppery finish. Similar to that of pacifica but less herbal. 

That was a pretty good beer, than did a different beer that was terrible so I got a little gun shy about it.

Then after doing the brewdog punk IPA it dragged me in again. 

So I went and purchased half a kilo of the stuff so it’s going in everything 🤪

10 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Certainly is. I brewed a beer about a year ago that had predominantly chinook in it. I really enjoyed the peppery finish. Similar to that of pacifica but less herbal. 

That was a pretty good beer, than did a different beer that was terrible so I got a little gun shy about it.

Then after doing the brewdog punk IPA it dragged me in again. 

So I went and purchased half a kilo of the stuff so it’s going in everything 🤪

If you want a bit more spice from it, boil it longer, & I don't mean a long time. 30mins is plenty. A 10 minute addition also gives a nice light spice & good retained flavour (IMHO). Whirlpooling & dry hopping are great for the grapefruit & citrus aromas etc.

Money well spent Capt. 😉

Edit: Thanks for the eye test as well! 😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

1 minute ago, Beerlust said:

If you want a bit more spice from it, boil it longer, & I don't mean a long time. 30mins is plenty. A 10 minute addition also gives a nice light spice & good retained flavour (IMHO). Whirlpooling & dry hopping are great for the grapefruit & citrus aromas etc.

Money well spent Capt. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

Precisely the reason why I’ve put this lot into a shorter time frame. I want to see how it goes steeping and cube hopping. 

I didn’t do the brew day today so I might put some in for a 15 min Boole just to get that spice, but I do find I get a little from Warrior. And that’s why that’s in as the bittering hop

28 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

...but I do find I get a little from Warrior. And that’s why that’s in as the bittering hop

I find Warrior gives a little more resiny/herbal as a long boiled bittering hop (60mins+).

I must get myself some more of this as it is one of my fav Pale Ale/IPA bittering hops.

It leaves some nice residual qualities in the final beer (even when long boiled) unlike Magnum.

Cheers,

Lusty.

10 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I find Warrior gives a little more resiny/herbal

Ok right, I get Warrior is a little spicy, that’s either my perception or I’m not quite understanding my palate. 

Either way I see qualities that I like in the bittering of Warrior that I taste in chinook. Albeit less, but that’s what I perceive. 

I’m still not sure which way I’ll go but either way whatever it turns out to be, I’ll know for next time.

Lusty......, I thank you for not saying......”interesting.”

magnum has it’s place, just not in this beer👍

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I like Chinook in combination with something like Cascade. I'll have to get more and try it in other combinations as well. I did one pale ale with it by itself and didn't like it as much as in combination, but it is a great hop all the same.

I agree. A while back I brewed an experimental beer I named "Grapefruit Overload" that was a mix of Chinook & Riwaka. It was a nice beer but was a little one dimensional & lacked a certain "je ne sais quoi".

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi Fellas,

Took some inspiration from Two birds Passion Victim and this months Craft ROTM. 

PASSIONFRUIT BEER

500g LDME

500g Wheat DME

25g Galaxy @ FO (1hr steep)

Passionfruit pulp (Fresh/Canned ?) @ day 3 of Fermentation 

30g Galaxy dry hopped

Maybe some more Passionfruit pulp @ packaging "keg hopped" for a few days depending on what FV samples taste like. 

10L

Bootmaker kit Yeast @ 18C

I'm a bit worried adding fermentables (Passionfruit pulp) back into a finished beer in case it kicks of fermentation again.  I have had this happen with a cider that I back sweetened with apple juice in the keg after CC and at serving temperatures! 

Cheers

Dave. 

Grain 1: 4.00 kg Ale Malt (Barrett Burston) (6.0 EBC) 70.18 %
Grain 2: 1.10 kg Munich I Malt (Weyermann®) (14.5 EBC) 19.30 % 
Grain 3: 0.30 kg Carapils® Malt (Weyermann®) (4.0 EBC) 5.26 %
Grain 4: 0.30 kg Wheat Malt Pale (Weyermann®) (4.0 EBC) 5.26 %

Hops - AA% - IBUs - Weight (g or oz) at Minutes

Hop 1: 30.00 gm East Kent Goldings [4.80 %] (60 min) 14.9 IBU 
Hop 2: 5.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (60 min) 5.9 IBU
Hop 3: 10.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (20 min) 2.8 IBU 
Hop 4: 10.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (20 min) 7.1 IBU
Hop 5: 15.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (10 min) 2.5 IBU 
Hop 6: 15.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (10 min) 6.4 IBU
Hop 7: 25.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (5 min) 2.3 IBU
Hop 8: 25.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (5 min) 5.9 IBU
Hop 9: 20.00 gm Cascade [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) - 
Hop 10: 20.00 gm Chinook [11.40 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) - 

You may of seen the above recipie before, it's a little creatures clone. 

This is the one in the FV ATM. Very excited as it'll be ready for new years.

Now to work out what hops are left and what I should make next

2 hours ago, Koo wee brew said:

Took some inspiration from Two birds Passion Victim and this months Craft ROTM. 

Hi Dave@KWB, Loved the Two Birds Passion Victim too.

I also took some inspiration from this month's ROTM.  Did a 22L batch using Bootmaker Pale Ale and Galaxy for extra bitterness.  

Over did it on the lactose in the recipe though, 1kg for a 22L batch instead of 500g.  Hope it is not ruined.  

Might split and dry hop half with Galaxy while cold crashing the other half.

Cheers Shamus

So, I made a pilsner and a lager with Weyerman Pilsner malt. The beers had a flavour i wasn't overly keen on, the pils keg is gone, the lager is still going and superb. unsure if it is the malt i don't like or what?

IMG_20181217_065728.thumb.jpg.b66d74cdf78a844926dcd1fd20307ab6.jpgIMG_20181217_065850.thumb.jpg.245778a48748dc483a4de577840f2e5f.jpg

Moving forward, I am going to use this to make a very similar recipe, both to see if the pilsner malt is not what i like on its own and to see how this stuff is.

Archived