Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2017

Hi guys.

I have both my fermenters on the go atm. I have just taken a 3.6% ABV midstrength version using the Thomas Coopers Golden Crown Lager kit with some MJ's M76 yeast & some steeped Wakatu hops out of the fermenting fridge. It has been in there 8 days @ 14°C & is within a point of expected FG @ 1.009. I'll leave this out at ambient for about another week before bottling.

The beer in the other fermenter is a 4.4% ABV scraps pale ale where I had to use up some leftover ingredients, including about 7 hop varieties. I squeezed all the hop goodness out of the dry hop tea bags, & have placed this fermenter back in the fridge to cold condition for a few days before I plan to keg it this coming Tuesday.

Both brews smelled good, & the lager brew should make for a nice easy drinker for my father. happy

I'm looking forward to my next brew that will use some more Wakatu & some Amarillo (that I haven't used in sometime).

Good times ahead. joyful

Cheers,

Lusty.

Finally got to put down my Milk Stout, well its more a choc vanilla milk stout now sideways

1.7kg Irish Stout

1.7kg Dark Ale

500g Light Dry Malt

300g Carafa 2

150 g Choc grain

100g Cocoa Powder (100%)

1 vanilla bean

Nottingham and coopers yeast

Steeped grain overnight. 15 min boil with vanilla bean in it. added cocoa powder and lactose to last 10 min of boil

Reydrated yeast satchets. Pitched at 26 and now sitting in the temp controlled fridge

OG came out at 1.066 (estimate from ianh sheet was 1.062)

Will be last extract brew for a while as I now have a Robobrew :-)

Next batch will be the Marris Otter SMaSH with Cascade (5.5kg of MO) Cant wait for my first AG brew day.

Well heres to hopefully a really rich Milk stout tongue

Kiwi Dry Stout

(23 litre, partial-mash)

Going for something Guiness-esque in style:

1 x Coopers (OS) Draught 32.6 %

1.4kg GF Ale Malt 32.6%

800g Flaked Barley 18.6 %

400g Roast Barley 9.3 %

20g NZ Golding - boil 60 min

20g NZ Golding - steep 20 min

2 x pkt Kit Ale Yeast

OG=1.042, IBU=40, ABV=4.2%, EBC=75

Noticed a few references to SNPA in here , and by a strange coincidence I put down a fairly similar one myself on Friday. This will be my 4th SNPA copy , but will be my first one to be kegged , immersion chilled and had a little bit of water adjustment. Not concerned if it doesn't turn out exactly like a Sierra , just want a tasty , reliable pale ale on tap.

Batch Size (fermenter): 25.00 l

Bottling Volume: 24.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.051 SG

Estimated Color: 16.4 EBC

Estimated IBU: 39.1 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 72.8 %

Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

36.00 l Mount Lofty Springs Water

1.50 tsp Calcium Chloride (Mash 90.0 mins)

1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)

5.30 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston)

0.40 kg Caramalt Malt - 55L (Bairds)

0.18 kg Acidulated (Weyermann)

15.00 g Hallertau Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 m

20.00 g Perle [4.30 %] - Boil 30.0 min

30.00 g Cascade [8.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min

1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins)

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins)

40.00 g Cascade [8.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0

1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272)

30.00 g Cascade [8.30 %] - Dry Hop

Mash Schedule: 01 - Kens BIAB 68c

I've joined the Coopers club today after using Coopers products for many years of enjoyable brewing. I have regularly looked at the forum and you guys have guided me to new levels of quality with my brews. I've come a long way, with temp control, home grown hops and experimenting with around 80 brews that I have recorded over the last 10 years, everything from dry blond for my other half, to IPA's, APA's and various stouts, and who knows how many before that, going back to the days of picking up broken glass as an (under age) assistant brewer to my dad in the 70's.

My question is, I've had a bit of a look around, unsuccessfully, to find an answer, I've used Thomas Coopers pilsener with the pilsener yeast to make my staple brew and I find the new 86 days pilsener kit to produce a different result. Is the yeast different? is there an alternative that you would suggest?

The yeast might be different, it might be the kit itself that's different too.

Speaking of pilsners, I chucked my latest one into the fermenter earlier today. This was the one I brewed on Saturday, and I ended up getting 22L into the FV at an OG of 1.0482 (nearly 1 point over the predicted), giving me an overall efficiency of 67.3%. If I had have got the full 25L that the recipe was actually brewed to, then the efficiency would have been 76.4%. The lessened volume was deliberate, however. The mash efficiency was 87.7%, so everything worked as it should have.

I pitched a starter of 2001 Urquell lager yeast into it (beer decanted first) after injecting pure O2 into it for a couple of minutes, with the wort temp hovering around 28C. Not my ideal practice but whatever.. it's down to about 14C now so it should reach the ferment temp of 11C over the next few hours, which isn't too bad. It will sit there until next Monday when I'll take an SG sample and most likely bump the controller up to 18C.

Cheers

Kelsey

Finally managed to pop down a Graff!

1lb light dry malt

1lb amber dry malt

6oz crystal 40°L

6oz crystal 80°L

2oz flaked wheat

0.5oz Motueka @ 30 minutes

0.5oz Motueka @ flameout, 10 minute steep

1/2 tsp Wyeast Beer Nutrient

4L 'No Name' frozen concentrated apple juice (equivalent to 16L reconstituted juice)

21L final volume, OG 1.048

US-05 rehydrated then pitched @ 19°C

Brewing at 18-19°C ambient, very thin bubble layer @ 12 hours

My process was a little unusual, but seemed to work OK. Steep was 4L, sparge 1L, and I kept the boil at 5L volume with all the malt Beersmith tells me this should give me 7-8 IBU, which is right on target for this sort of brew. I also pasteurised the juice concentrate in a separate pot @ 95°C for 15 minutes. This worked out great, because I could cool both pots separately and quickly in my double sink.

Got three brews fermenting atm...

Two brews are northern brown ale 19 srm-27ibu @ 1052 fermenting with WLP005

the other that's nearly ready to keg is... 28 litre cube topped up to 31 litres gravity reading: 1052, fermenting with WLP001,my PINTAIL pale ale clone bittered with chinook & cascade then flavour hops cascade & Chinook dry hoped now crash chilling day 1... gravity readings tasted great!

Cant wait

Having tried my first batch of coopers pale ale extract can brew in the last few weeks, I've put down,

1 - "all in brewing" fresh wort kit, contraband white ipa.

2 - coopers family secret Amber ale.

Both shall be ready for bottles sometime next week.

I'm a newby to this but the anticipation is killing me, however, I know this is a game of patience.

The first batch was surprisingly good beer, so I'm ramping up production rapidly.

Cheers, Rich.

This brew has (finally) made its way into my fermenter.

Sorachi Gose

1.8kg Dry Wheat Malt

1.15kg Dry Light Malt

15g Hallertauer @ 60 mins

30g Coriander Seeds (ground)

20g Sea Salt (ground)

100g Sorachi Ace - dry hopped

US-05 yeast + GigaYeast Fast Souring Lacto

22 litre batch

OG: 1.042

Can't wait for a taste!

Cheers + beers,

Mark

Wild Dog's Haunted Pale Ale: 23L

300 cara rye

300 crystal malt grain

300 DDM

500 BE2

1 X LME can (1.7kg)

25 kent golding@60

15 kent golding@45

40 motueka@10

30 citra@5

dry hop 40 citra

nottingham ale yaest, set @ 19

cheers folks

About time i got that cube of Coopers pale clone into the fridge but left with a decision to make

What to put in there with it ?

Have all ingredients for

my house Rye APA (which i have none left)

American amber ale ( Keen to try for winter )

#FirstWorldProblems ...Flip a coin i guess

Strike water is heating now

Tested the SG of my Bo Pils earlier and it's sitting around 1.022 so the controller has been raised to 18C and the brew will naturally rise to that figure inside the fridge. I'll leave the sample on the bench, but I expect the beer will be at FG in the next 2-3 days, which should mean I can stick to the original plan of beginning the temp drop to CC next Tuesday (giving it about a week at 18C), and get it in the keg a couple of weeks after that.

Cheers

Kelsey

Thought I'd give a Thomas Cooper's Brew A IPA kit a go. Last Friday I made it up to 23 litres, adding 1.5kg LDM for extra fermentables. I did a 5 litre boil with some of the LDM and added 50g Amarillo and 50g Citra at flameout (steeped for 30 minutes). I pitched the 7g Coopers yeast and an extra 11g US-05 (both rehydrated). The ferment is going well at 20° C, so I'll add another 50g Amarillo and 50g Citra as a dry hop in a few days.

I've just put down an all Simcoe IPA. It was a little difficult since anything with all Simcoe is really hard to find a recipe for so I used a base general IPA grain bill and winged it with the hops. The recipe is:

5.4kg Maris Otter

800g Light Crystal

500g Wheat

100g Dark Crystal

20g Simcoe @ 60

40g Simcoe @ 0

30g Simcoe Cube Hopped

50g Simcoe Dry Hopped

US-05 yeast

23L Batch

OG: 1.062

FG: 1.013 (est)

54.6 IBU's

I'm really looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I haven't made anything really hoppy for a while.

18.5EBC

Mashed at 66.7 for 90 mins

est ABV: 6.3%

5.4kg Maris Otter

800g Light Crystal

500g Wheat

100g Dark Crystal

20g Simcoe @ 60

40g Simcoe @ 0

30g Simcoe Cube Hopped

50g Simcoe Dry Hopped

US-05 yeast

I like the way you're going with just a 60min bitter and very late flavour/aroma additions and dry hopping. I'm doing similar stuff now and also keg hopping.

I like the way you're going with just a 60min bitter and very late flavour/aroma additions and dry hopping. I'm doing similar stuff now and also keg hopping.

Yeah, I've found with no chill that there is a 15ish minute time difference with hop additions. 0 mins in a no chill brew is similar to 15 min addition with a chilled one. I know others don't bother accounting for it, but with my process it seems to work to my tastes. I have tried not making any alteration to times but prefer it this way. The main contributer was the difference between a 0 min addition and a cube hop. The flavour in the cube hopped beer was 10 times more prominent than the 0 min addition beer and I put it down to less time in the high temp wort. But, as always, different people will get different results depending on how long they whirlpool, steep etc.

Rogers ale recipe currently in the fv and almost ready to bottle.

Next up is the robochoc which should be a nice winter drop. Has anyone else done the robochoc? Is it good enough as is or could it use a tweak or two? I've got some challenger hops left over from a dark ESB I did last sept (also a good winter drop but may not have any left by winter). Would challenger either steeped or dry hopped be a good addition to robo? Or would it detract from the other desired flavours?

My next APA will be 40 IBUs @ 60 min and the rest dry hopped in the FV. And if that isn't enough I can always do a keg hop. I recently keg hopped with citra and amarillo and thought it was fantastic. I went off amarillo for a fair while until I blended it with citra. I'm just in love with it now.

I dropped my latest Bo Pils down to 0C yesterday and with the cooler weather it's probably just about there now (the fridge takes longer in the summer), so it'll be isinglassed tomorrow. The FG settled on 1.010 from an OG of 1.048, giving an ABV of 5% in the keg (no bottles). The sample tasted awesome, I think the 50g flameout addition of Saaz helped with the flavor coming through more. It'll be kegged on Anzac Day and sit around until it's time to tap it.

Cheers

Kelsey