Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2017

Will introduce the chips via a collection bottle so will still be under pressure. This is all experimental for me Lusty, just trying to figure out a few things. I wont be drinking this from the fv as i will transfer the beer to a keg. But it will mean i dont have to wait for it to carb up.

Thanks for the reply Titan8.

...I wont be drinking this from the fv as i will transfer the beer to a keg. But it will mean i dont have to wait for it to carb up.

I would be interested in how this is done & still able to maintain the pressure. Also how do you know what pressure the beer is at prior to transfer?

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

Another shot at an Amber, at the lighter end of the scale...

"Arrogant Amber" - the next iteration

(20 litre partial-mash, 66.5ºC, pH=5.25)

1.70 kg Coopers (OS) Lager 39.2%

1.80 kg Gladfield Ale Malt 41.5%

200g Gladfield Supernova Malt 4.6%

600g Gladfield Rye Malt 13.8%

40g Roast Barley 0.9 %

10 g Waimea (15%AA) - Boil 15 min

25 g Taiheke - Steep/Whirlpool 30 min

5g Gypsum

Coopers Ale/lager Slurry

OG=1.050 | IBU=33 | ABV=5.0% | EBC=25

I'm doing another version of my English Pale, this time I've upped the toffee malt from 5 to 8.5%. I'm really liking the toffee flavour in an English Pale.

6.50 g Calcium Chloride

3.90 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4)

2.60 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)

4.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) 76.2 %

0.50 kg Gladfield Toffee Malt 8.5 %

0.50 kg Munich II (Weyermann) 8.5 %

0.28 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) ( 4.8 %

0.10 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) 1.7 %

0.02 kg Carafa Special III (Weyermann) 0.3 %

20.00 g Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min 8.9 IBUs

20.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 20 min 6.0 IBUs

20.00 g Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min 6.5 IBUs

5.00 g BrewBrite (Boil 10.0 mins)

40.00 g Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min 7.8 IBUs

1.0 pkg West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469) Yeast

60.00 g Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Hop

Instant chill on Flame out. 24L batch. RO water. Sulphate : Chloride approx 1.

I'm doing another version of my English Pale' date=' this time I've upped the toffee malt from 5 to 8.5%. I'm really liking the toffee flavour in an English Pale.

6.50 g Calcium Chloride

20.00 g Fuggle [4.50 %'] - Boil 60.0 min 8.9 IBUs

Nice looking brew Morrie.

As a bit of a side topic, I'm interested in views about dry hopping with noble hops in malt forward beers like ESB's etc. Is it worth pounding a good whack of these hops into dry hopping a beer that is really all about the malt character? unsure

Cheers & good luck with the brew Morrie.

Lusty.

I'm doing another version of my English Pale' date=' this time I've upped the toffee malt from 5 to 8.5%. I'm really liking the toffee flavour in an English Pale.

6.50 g Calcium Chloride

20.00 g Fuggle [4.50 %'] - Boil 60.0 min 8.9 IBUs

surprised The K.I.S.S. principal clearly doesn't apply here!biggrin

I too am a GF toffee malt fan cool

Lusty - I'm not sure if you know but I'm a bit of a Timothy Taylors Landlord nut. TTLA is all about the Styrians and apparently in the UK it is dry hopped in the cask insitu in the hotels where it is served. I think Styrian Goldings for me is probably my favourite hop and ranks equally or better than citra in my estimation. Whilst the recipe above is not a strictly TTLA clone from Dr Smurto, but a variant where I like to deviate somewhat from the original recipe and develop and explore further possibilities. As for dry hopping English pales, its no problem if you go too far, its just a matter of time and the hop influence will fade to your liking.

BlackSands - yup, it may not look like a KISS principle recipe but for some unknown reason I think it is to me. I brew at least one or 2 similar each month so I guess by now I think its all too simple.

I'd really like to know about your opinion on supernova and what it brings to an ale as it is on my to do list soon. I just bought a kilo of Riwaka and am very keen to try this also soon, its just that I seem to go through an English pale ale phase through winter and usually mash at 67ºC.

Cheers - Morrie.

Lusty - I'm not sure if you know but I'm a bit of a Timothy Taylors Landlord nut. TTLA is all about the Styrians and apparently in the UK it is dry hopped in the cask insitu in the hotels where it is served. I think Styrian Goldings for me is probably my favourite hop and ranks equally or better than citra in my estimation. Whilst the recipe above is not a strictly TTLA clone from Dr Smurto' date=' but a variant where I like to deviate somewhat from the original recipe and develop and explore further possibilities. As for dry hopping English pales, its no problem if you go too far, its just a matter of time and the hop influence will fade to your liking.[/quote']

Interesting that you don't use the Golden Promise being a TTL fan (yes I know Maris Otter is the English equivalent).

I like Styrian Goldings for what it is used for, but my question is more about the need to heavily dry hop a malt forward beer with noble hops that from my perspective, are not heavily aroma orientated to begin with.

I'd be interested to know of any commercial British style beers that are heavily dry hopped with noble hops to actually try one, as I've never had one (that I can recall) TBQH.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Lusty - I used to use Golden Promise originally and decided to try Maris Otter and found bugger all difference in taste. My main reason for the switch is that I found that I got a better mash efficiency with MO. I guess your question is a difficult one to answer and the best way I can is that it comes down to personal preference in taste. For me dry hopping is just not about aroma but flavour as well. I've seen this debate run previously about the dry hopping of ESBs and whether it is out of style or not, and all I can say is if your inquisitive about it all then why not try it. I'm not particularly a style snob and like to explore possibilities. If the shoe doesn't fit then simple, don't put it on again. For me the shoe fits nicely.

Cheers - Morrie.

BlackSands - yup' date=' it may not look like a KISS principle recipe but for some unknown reason I think it is to me. I brew at least one or 2 similar each month so I guess by now I think its all too simple.

I'd really like to know about your opinion on supernova and what it brings to an ale as it is on my to do list soon. I just bought a kilo of Riwaka and am very keen to try this also soon, its just that I seem to go through an English pale ale phase through winter and usually mash at 67ºC.[/quote']

Supernova has become my preferred sub for medium crystal, though I must admit I'm now starting to miss the taste of ordinary crystal! pinched The only way to know if it's for you is to try it, I can't easily describe it but it is noticeably different to the usual crystal flavour, and one that I was quickly seduced by!

MY LHBS has been out of stock of Riwaka for weeks! annoyed. It too quickly became a favourite of mine but I've had to use alternative hops in more recent brews, but I'm REALLY looking forward to doing a riwaka APA sometime soon!

I've just dropped the controller on my home malted barley pale ale down to 0C for a week long cold crash before it goes into the keg. It reached an FG of 1.013, meaning a very sessionable ale at 3.4% ABV. It does taste a bit sweeter than it probably should, but I put that down to the highish FG and also the 1469 yeast being used on it due to a cube mix up. Still, it should turn out pretty well in the end, so a nice little experimental brew there.

Cheers

Kelsey

Supernova has become my preferred sub for medium crystal' date=' though I must admit I'm now starting to miss the taste of ordinary crystal! [img']pinched[/img] The only way to know if it's for you is to try it, I can't easily describe it but it is noticeably different to the usual crystal flavour, and one that I was quickly seduced by!

MY LHBS has been out of stock of Riwaka for weeks! annoyed. It too quickly became a favourite of mine but I've had to use alternative hops in more recent brews, but I'm REALLY looking forward to doing a riwaka APA sometime soon!

BlackSands - I've been off crystal for months now and don't miss it and have no intention of using it again. Supernova appealed to me after reading about it on the Gladfield web site. Its a really informative and interesting site. I've got a stack of Gladfield rye to try and I've got so many firsts of things to do that I think the supernova is somewhat on the backburner but it will happen. I'm really enjoying the toffee malt and can taste it when licking my lips after sipping a beer, such a delightful experience. From what I've read Riwaka should be a super hop equal to or better than citra.

Cheers- Morrie

Supernova appealed to me after reading about it on the Gladfield web site. Its a really informative and interesting site. I've got a stack of Gladfield rye to try and I've got so many firsts of things to do that I think the supernova is somewhat on the backburner but it will happen. I'm really enjoying the toffee malt and can taste it when licking my lips after sipping a beer' date=' such a delightful experience. From what I've read Riwaka should be a super hop equal to or better than citra.

Cheers- Morrie[/quote']

GF Supernova and rye are the malt stars in my latest Amber (above). Early tastings are quite encouraging. cool

From what I've read Riwaka should be a super hop equal to or better than citra.

Big call there Morrie! I have heard many good things about this hop. I have yet to try a commercial or homebrew beer with it. May have to track some down and put a brew down! If it is that good, it's going to be hard to track down on a regular basis, may have to buy in bulk at each hop harvest release

Both you guys and the guy at my LHBS have raved about Gladfield Supernova. I'll def put together a recipe and sub the crystal for Supernova

From what I've read Riwaka should be a super hop equal to or better than citra.

Big call there Morrie! I have heard many good things about this hop.

The main advantage it has for me over the likes of citra is that apart from being a similar fruit bonanza it's also cheaper. Citra is around $12/100g surprised I think I paid around $8.90 for Riwaka' date=' still not cheap compared to some other local hops (e.g. Wakatu @ $4.50) but certainly a worthy saving to be had if you're wanting to brew say a hoppy APA or IPA.

All rather moot for me now though, given it's been out of stock here for a month so far! [img']annoyed[/img]

And, all because of crap weather...

The varieties that performed well despite the conditions were Motueka, Wai-iti, Taiheke, Kohatu and Southern Cross. The Nelson Sauvin variety did not fare well in the windy conditions suffering from lateral breakages and diminished cone development while the Riwaka variety also performed well below average having been severely impacted by several weather variables during the growing season.

Have just added the 2nd dry hop addition to my Mosaic Amber Ale & will leave that for a couple of days before giving it a good squeeze & removing the hop bag & crash chilling the brew in readiness for kegging this coming weekend. Am on the home straight. happy

...For me dry hopping is just not about aroma but flavour as well. I've seen this debate run previously about the dry hopping of ESBs and whether it is out of style or not' date=' and all I can say is if your inquisitive about it all then why not try it. I'm not particularly a style snob and like to explore possibilities. If the shoe doesn't fit then simple, don't put it on again. For me the shoe fits nicely.[/quote']

With dry hopping depending on hop potency on an aromatic level, I will use the listed hop oil percentage as a guide to how much weight I will use in some scenarios. It is because this oil volume through weight gives you some idea of a target weight you might need of a said hop to have it display a suitable level of aroma through dry hopping it.

Most noble hops are low alpha, & also low in oil content. Thus if using these varieties for dry hopping, often a fair whack of weight is required to produce anything substantial in this area with this particular group of hops.

For example, take a modern hop like Galaxy that has 3-5mls of oil per 100gms of hop weight versus a popular noble hop such as East Kent Golding that has an average oil content of 0.4-0.8ml of oil yielded per 100gms of hop weight. That's a huge difference when you're looking for these aromatic oils to seep out into your brew & influence the aromatic profile of your beer.

For interest sake, the Styrian Golding is reported to have an oil content of 0.5-1.0ml per 100gms of hop weight.

Food for thought I would think. wink

Can't wait to be swilling my Amber Ale next weekend. love

Lusty.

I pitched the yeast into my latest batch of SNPA clone earlier. Pitching temp ended up about 17C due to the shitty weather up here today keeping things cool, but I'm not worried about it. I'll be fermenting this one at 17.5C with 1272 yeast this time so it won't be exactly like the 1056 versions but it should still be an excellent brew. I'll take an SG sample on Monday when I raise the temp up to 21 as per my normal ale procedure. OG is 1.0517, so depending on the FG it'll end up about 5.1-5.3% in the keg.

I might have to increase the grain bill a bit next time to get it up to the 5.6% of the original now that I'm not using priming sugar to get it there, although to be fair the post boil SG was lower than it really should have been for some reason. Meh, I'll still get a great tasting beer either way. biggrin

Cheers

Kelsey

TC 86 days Pilsner

250g Carapils

1kg light dry malt

250g Dextrose

20g Hallertau hops @ 10mins

30g Hallertau Dry Hopped

W34/70 Lager yeast + kit yeast

IBU 32.9

EBC 6.0

ABV% 5.0 Bottled

Fermenting at 11°c.

Looking forward to trying this in a couple of months.

Cheers,

Hoppy

Well, it looks like my Amber IPL is ready to bottle. My Munich lager yeast have taken it from 1.065 down to 1.014, and the gravity sample tasted fantastic. 7g/l of Centennial late boil hops and then another 7g/l Centennial dry hops have absolutely saturated it with intense flavour and aroma. Really looking forward to sampling this one!

As an aside, my hop tube will suit the little Craft fermenter better. In the large fermenter it has enough room to completely flip over (which it did).

Speaking of my little Craft fermenter, it will be back in action soon. My 38l Rubbermaid round orange water cooler arrived from the US and my ball valve and bazooka screen plumbing went straight on with no leaks. So I will be soon be back doing some 11 litre no-sparge all-grain batches. Woohoo! I've got one more kit batch to do first (a Centennial new-world pilsner, saving the Macho Macchiato for when the weather warms up a little), so I have a bit of time to think what to brew. Something fairly simple for the first batch with new equipment sounds good. I might just make an all-grain version of the Pils with Centennial.

As an aside, a tip for anyone looking to buy one of these coolers is to check out the second-hand ones on eBay, especially if the seller will be shipping it via the eBay global shipping program. This one in perfect condition (albeit minus the spigot which I don't want anyway) cost me $113 shipped, including $40 shipping via the eBay global shipping program whereas usually the shipping along is like $90.

Cheers,

JOhn

For two weeks now at 19 degrees my Coopers English Bitter with BE2 and Fuggles.

SG measured 1.011 today and I am cold crashing as of 12pm today. The good thing is I only have to turn the heat off and open the fridge door to start this process.

Tasted the SG sample and I have to say that it confirms the Coopers EB as my favourite kit.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Nelson Supernova - Pale Ale

(23l Partial Mash - 60 mins, pH=5.4)

1 x Coopers APA Can (36.6%)

2.3kg GF American Ale Malt (49.5%)

300g GF Supernova Malt (6.5%)

350g Sugar (7.5%)

5g Gypsum

20g Waimea (20 mins)

25g Nelson Sauvin (5 mins)

25g Nelson Sauvin (30 min hop stand)

Coopers Ale/Lager yeast slurry

Dry hop? - yet undecided... unsure Think I might take the SNPA approach on this one.

| OG=1.048 | IBU=42 | EBC=15 | ABV=5.2% |

I was interrupted mid-mash and ended up mashing for 90 mins. I was hoping that may have resulted in a couple of extra gravity points, but no... ended up a few points below estimated OG. Actually a slightly worse result than my usual 60 min a mashes pouty