Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2017

For two weeks now at 19 degrees my Coopers English Bitter with BE2 and Fuggles.

SG measured 1.011 today and I am cold crashing as of 12pm today. The good thing is I only have to turn the heat off and open the fridge door to start this process.

Tasted the SG sample and I have to say that it confirms the Coopers EB as my favourite kit.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Less than 24 hours into the ambient conditions cold crash and the temperature of the FV is sitting at 5 degrees. Understandable given it was -2.2 degrees overnight and 0.7 degrees right now.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Just put down another 100 litres of Brew biggrin well to be exact 92 litres. This amount get the stocks up thats for sure. Fills all my kegs and a heap of bottles.

It takes me and my missus about 60 minutes, we are time poor and have it pretty wired now..

At this time of year it is perfect temp for brewing without temp control here, so I can run my 60 litre fermentor with an electric blanket.

3 x Pale Ale - Cascade/Amirillo hops.

1 x Irish Stout.

Took my usual SG sample of my SNPA clone batch after 3 full days of being in the FV, so probably 2ish days of actual fermentation. It has dropped about 20 points from the OG, currently sitting somewhere around 1.032ish. I've raised the temp on the controller up to 21C just now, and will allow the fermentation heat to warm it up inside the fridge. Unfortunately it's a little bit cool at this time of year for it to rise with or without heat from fermentation. I may need to employ the services of a boiling Erlenmeyer in the coming days as well tongue.

In any case, the beer sample did smell very nice, that signature Cascade aroma is certainly in there in a good amount. I didn't taste it at this early stage but I will when I take the proper FG test samples towards the end of the week.

Cheers

Kelsey

Nelson Supernova - Pale Ale

(23l Partial Mash - 60 mins' date=' pH=5.4)

1 x Coopers APA Can (36.6%)

2.3kg GF American Ale Malt (49.5%)

300g GF Supernova Malt (6.5%)

350g Sugar (7.5%)

5g Gypsum

20g Waimea (20 mins)

25g Nelson Sauvin (5 mins)

25g Nelson Sauvin (30 min hop stand)

Coopers Ale/Lager yeast slurry

[b']Dry hop? - yet undecided... unsure Think I might take the SNPA approach on this one.[/b]

Changed my mind and decided to give this a modest 25g Nelson dry hop. That's 75g of Nelson Sauvin all up. Early SG sampling - this one's got some serious bite! surprised

My current IPA brew has been fermenting about 6-7 days now, so I added the 4 variety dry hop addition a little earlier today.

I generally leave the dry hop phase until a little later when the krausen has dropped as it can be awkward getting the hops past the krausen into the wort, & I don't really like disturbing the fermentation until expected FG is very close, or primary fermentation has ceased completely.

The discussion around placing dry hops into the wort while there is still some yeast activity & movement had me interested enough to try it this time. Have also raised the temp from 18°C up to 20°C to help finish off the ferment.

Looking forward to this one.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I have a Marzen in the Fermenter, pitched the W-34/70 at 10.5 degrees at 14:00 yesterday. The controller is set at 10.5 degrees with a 0.5 hysteresis and its up and going.

I see that Bolchy has posted how much he loves his MJs yeast, but I can't believe this ones up and running.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

My SNPA clone has been at FG since I took the first test sample on Saturday although it may well have reached it prior to that, as that was 8 days since pitching. I took another sample today which read the same 1.012 that I got on Saturday so the brew is currently dropping to 0C for a week long cold crash. It will be kegged either Monday or Tuesday next week and that will be the next 3 kegs ready to go on tap once the blended keg and the porter have gone.

It will be 5.16% ABV in the keg, which is a bit below the real deal, but the efficiency was lower than expected so the OG wasn't quite as high. Still, the sample tasted pretty good so it'll still be a nice beer which is all I really care about in the end anyway.

Waiting to hear back on a couple of rental applications as well so may not put anything in the fermenter after this one is kegged, depending on the results of those.

Cheers

Kelsey

Just putting on this 4L batch of braggot now' date=' as an experiment. It is a recipe of my own design and I have no idea what it will be like. I have never even tasted braggot.

Smokey Braggot

4L

200gm German smoked malt 18%

150gm malted rye 13.5%

75gm Caravienna 7%

75gm Caramunich 7%

3.4L water / wort

600gm honey 54.5%

10gm Mount Hood hops boiled x 30 minutes

2gm bread yeast added to last 5 minutes of boil (=yeast nutrient)

2gm S-04 yeast rehydrated

1gm Fermaid K yeast nutrient added 24 hours post pitch

1gm Fermaid K added 48 hours (Edit: I ended up skipping this addition. It was not necessary.)

OG 1.081 FG 1.008 ABV 9.6%

IBU 19 EBC 18

Making this BIAB style. I had wanted to use Willamette hops but they were out, so had to sub; I chose Mount Hood, which may turn out to be a mistake.

I decided to use strong tasting ingredients and a darker colour as the honey I am using is just cheap, grocery store honey, with a fairly strong flavour. Since the honey is unpasteurized, I may wait 12 hours after pitching to add it, to give the S-04 a head start over any wild yeast.

Cheers,

Christina.[/quote']

Hi all. By observation I think this has finished fermenting. I had a tiny little taste last night. I have never tasted anything like it. The most noticeable ingredient is the smoked malt, but it is not overpowering; it's very pleasant. I can also pick out some spicy notes from the rye. The two malts combined do overpower the honey, but it is faintly noticeable. Lusty is right that the Mt Hood hops provided a very smooth, velvety bitterness; the amount used suits the brew. The body is thin and wine-line. I still have to do a FG reading but it tastes off dry (Edit: FG is 1.006).

Planning to bottle this today. Still trying to decide whether to prime / carbonate or leave it still.

I would totally drink this again; I would make a larger batch even. I am quite pleased with how it turned out.

Cheers,

Christina.

Had my first bottle of this tonight. It has pretty good head and head retention for a beer that is 54% honey. The Best Malz roast malt is still the most noticeable flavour. I had a smoked porter during a visit to Toronto and by comparison mine is less smoky and more balance, but all in all I am not sure I will be making another batch.

Cheers,

Christina.

Sounds nice Christina!

I just filled the FV with my Maris Otter/Southern Cross SMaSH. Got 23 litres this time, last time i got 22. Pitched the S04 starter at 20C and its set to ferment at 21C. I will dry hop it in about a week or so. Im loving this all grain BIAB stuff, its just awesome!

Cheers!

Hi all I have just put a brew together I have no clue what it will be like

Coppers liquid malt (dark)

Brewcraft stout enhancer mix

8grms pride of ringwood

Didn't taste very bitter at pitching time

Might have to doctor it up some how after ferment . Any ideas anyone ?

Well, that explains why there's no bitterness. If you're using all unhopped extract (i.e. no kit) then the hops need to be boiled to get some bitterness into the brew. What you could do is make up a mini wort with dry malt, say about 3 litres; use 100g dry malt per litre of water, then add say 20 or 30g of hops and boil them for half an hour. Cool this mini wort down and add it to the fermenter through a strainer. Do this now, or tomorrow, don't wait until the beer has finished fermenting.

Just dropped it in is that OK ?

Hey plagondrinkum

You have dry hopped and you won't get any increase in bitterness.

You should go for a kit with more bitterness.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Yeah right gotcha , thanks Kelsey I was thinking of just a tea of hops myself but have never tried anything like it before , and obviously didn't do enough prep for what I was thinking it would taste like. Thank you very much and why more malts?

And also do you have recipes of your beers posted anyware that I could look at or do you keep that private. Regards Brett

Hops are better boiled in wort than plain water, which can lead to a harsh bitterness. That's why the dry malt is added to the water when boiling hops.

You will have to do a hop boil to get any decent amount of bitterness into that brew to balance against the dark malts, a hop tea won't cut it in this instance - these are mainly used for hop aroma and flavor, not bitterness.

In any case, as I said, do this boil as soon as you can rather than waiting until after fermentation.

This is my first "kits 'n' bits" brew in quite some time! With ongoing phenolic issues in the past when using US-05 and more recently MJ's M54 California Lager yeast I've decided to make this 'sacrifical' beer using 05, but for the first time treating the water with a campden tablen, testing the possibility that chlorine in my water may be the source of my past 'band-aid' brews.

This is a bit of a mongrel brew, essentially a Golden Ale/English Best Bitter but with NZ hops and steeping grains. While I don't have any colour info on the LME I suspect colour-wise it's more of a Brit Golden Ale.

Golden Bitter

1 x Coopers OS lager

1.5kg LME

200g GF Supernova

200g GF Toffee

100g Sugar

10g Waimea (15 mins)

25g Nelson Sauvin (30min steep)

1 x campden tablet

1 x pkt US-05

OG=1.042 EBC=12.7? IBU=30.5 ABV=4.2%

Good luck with the brew BlackSands.

Fingers crossed for NO phenolics!

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/quote']

Ta! happy

I've forgotten what US-05 behaves like so it'll be interesting to see what the lag is on this one... that MJ yeast sure was a slow one!

My Oktoberfest, day 7and the SG has gone from 1.048 to 1.031. Two to three days to the D-Rest stage - I can taste the Diacetyl in the sample and I absolutely don't want any of that in my beer.

1500685135_26_570.JPG