Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2017

My XXXX Bitter rip off has been cold crashing since last Wednesday. I meant to add the isinglass to it on Thursday but didn't bother with the brew day going on, then I decided Friday but couldn't spare any time to prepare it then either, so it finally went in today. I'll add the Polyclar tomorrow, and look to keg/bottle it on Friday or Saturday.

After that, the porter will go in to maximise its time in the keg before it gets tapped during the winter months.

Cheers

Kelsey

Just popped down Jamil Z's California Common recipe from here, almost verbatim. It went a little something like this:

5.0lb (2.27kg) light LME

2.5lb (1.135kg) Munich LME

1lb (454g) crystal 40°L

0.5lb (227g) Victory malt

2oz (56g) pale chocolate 250°L

0.25oz (7g) Magnum (12% AA) @ 60min

0.7oz (20g) Northern Brewer (5.1% AA) @ 60min

1.15oz (32.5g) Northern Brewer (5.1% AA) @ 15min

1.15oz (32.5g) Northern Brewer (5.1% AA) @ flameout, with 15 minute steep at 90°C

Up to 21L, measured OG 1.049

Pitched two rehydrated sachets of W-34/70 at 19°C

Sitting in the basement, which holds pretty steady around 17-18°C

Its only my third go at this sooo...

Coopers Aussie Pale Ale tin 1.7kg

Yeast that comes with the tin

1kg LDM

500gm Dextrose ( 250gm too much maybe????)

25G Cascade Dry Hopped

OG 1075

FG 1012 = Yikes!surprised

From my calculations the ABV will be over 8%. So I might just bottle a case and chuck the rest.

OG 1075

From my calculations the ABV will be over 8%. So I might just bottle a case and chuck the rest.

Nooooo, don't throw it! Your OG reading is unquestionably too high...... most likely because you didn't mix it well enough and all the heavy sugars were sitting at the bottom of the fermenter near the tap, or because you didn't turf the first ~100mL before you took a final measurement.

I calculate your OG would have actually been much closer to 1.047, and your ABV when bottled no higher than 5.7%.

OG 1075

Nooooo' date=' don't throw it! Your OG reading is unquestionably too high...... most likely because you didn't mix it well enough and all the heavy sugars were sitting at the bottom of the fermenter near the tap, or because you didn't turf the first ~100mL before you took a final measurement.

I calculate your OG would have actually been much closer to 1.047, and your ABV when bottled no higher than 5.7%.[/quote']

Ok. I didn't think of that. Maybe I should use a turkey baster to remove the OG sample next time.

Thanks. I might just keep this lot then. Hopefully it taste good. If not too potent. I suppose after a few stubbies I will know hey. haha!

BTW. How did you calculate this?

What size batch did you make? If you want accurate OG readings, it's best to thoroughly mix the fermentables with the water. Even if it takes 5 or 10 minutes of stirring (this also has the advantage of introducing oxygen for the yeast). You could always stick a mash paddle or paint stirrer or something in a drill and do it that way to make it easier.

What size batch did you make? If you want accurate OG readings' date=' it's best to thoroughly mix the fermentables with the water. Even if it takes 5 or 10 minutes of stirring (this also has the advantage of introducing oxygen for the yeast). You could always stick a mash paddle or paint stirrer or something in a drill and do it that way to make it easier.[/quote']

Batch size is 32L. I did give it a real good mix but it must not have been enough. I will use my cordless drill on the mash paddle next time. Good tip!.

It is super easy with IanH's spreadsheet' date=' Beersmith or any number of software/online recipe designer. Beersmith is much more accurate than IanH's spreadsheet in my experience - its predicted values have never been more than 0.002 away from my actual readings - but it isn't free.

Thanks I'll check this out.

Brew Dog Hop Fiction scaled up to 22l in the FV at the moment.

4.85kg Weyerman Pale Ale

13g Chinook @60mins

41g Amarillo @0min

27g Chinook @0min

41g Mosaic @0min

Then dry hop 69g of Amarillo, Chinook and Mosaic

This is the 3rd time I have done this one. Tastes very much like Balter XPA.

Just sampling my Bridge Road Brewers Chevalier Saison Clone. Rather nice.

Cheers.

4.85kg Weyerman Pale Ale

13g Chinook @60mins

41g Amarillo @0min

27g Chinook @0min

41g Mosaic @0min

Then dry hop 69g of Amarillo' date=' Chinook and Mosaic

[/quote']

Wait up a sec... 69g total dry hop or 69g x 3 of those three hops?

Put 2 brews down on the weekend, one is meant to be an American Pale, but the IBUs seem a bit low because I used the Coopers Ausssie Pale Ale which has quite low IBUS.

And my boil was pretty short.

I kept the boil short because last time I did a 20 minute boil the bitterness was a bit more than I was expecting.

Maybe I am not cooling the hop boiled wort quick enough and its temperature is staying above the point where the oils are still being extracted or something?

Anyway this is the most hops I have put in a brew so hopefully it will be full of aroma and flavour.

First time using Citra too , can't wait to taste the results.

The other one is meant to be an ESB using Coopers EB as the base, but is probably more of an American Brown Ale..?

American Pale Ale

Coopers Aussie Pale Ale can

Coopers light LME can

660gm light DME

100gm dark brown sugar

250medium crystal malt

30gm Citra 5 minute boil then 20 minute steep

20 gm Cascade same as Citra

Nottingham yeast rehydrated and into 2 litre starter

Ian H xls says OG should be 1.057

FG : 1.014

IBUs: 28

ABV :6.1 %

ESB

Coopers English Bitter Can

Coopers light LME can

660gm light DME

100gm dark brown sugar

150gm medium crystal malt

100gm chocolate malt

20gm Goldings 2 minute boil then 20 minute steep

20 gm Mosaic same as Goldings

Nottingham yeast rehydrated and into 2 litre starter

Ian H xls says OG should be 1.057

FG : 1.014

6.1 % ABV

35.5 IBUs

Cheers

James

Batch size is 32L. I did give it a real good mix but it must not have been enough. I will use my cordless drill on the mash paddle next time. Good tip!.

32 or 23? lol In 23 litres those fermentables would probably give an OG in the high 1.040s/low 1.050s, if it is actually 32 litres then the OG will be a lot less than that.

4.85kg Weyerman Pale Ale

13g Chinook @60mins

41g Amarillo @0min

27g Chinook @0min

41g Mosaic @0min

Then dry hop 69g of Amarillo' date=' Chinook and Mosaic

[/quote']

Wait up a sec... 69g total dry hop or 69g x 3 of those three hops?

Yep. 69g of each!

DJB... phwoaaaaar!

No wonder it tastes like an XPA.

Just had a look at DIY Dog 101.pdf and compared it to the description on the BrewDog Prototype website:

Malts: Pale

Hops: Chinook, Amarillo, Mosaic

ABV: 6.5%

IBUs: 65

OG: 1.060

We’ve made India Pale Ales before (one or two), but until now we haven’t brewed a single one using the process which led to Hop Fiction. Not only is HP not dry-hopped, it isn’t kettle-hopped either; we have fired this IPA purely by wort and whirlpool hopping only. A huge, huge amount, as it turned out. The result is an upfront blast of mango, lychee and stone fruit, with a bitter, dry finish. It was a fascinating process to deploy – we think it has resulted in an equally fascinating beer.

Interesting that they decided to dry hop in later iterations of this beer. I've never tried it, but now I really want to.

FWIW, I am a big fan of dry hopping and drinking fresh. Late/whirlpool additions are all good, but I just love the hop hit to the nostrils. Appropriate glassware a must.

Checked my brew when I got home from the gym last night and krausen completely gone.....didn't have time to take a gravity reading but looks as though the Safale S-04 ripped through the brew in a mere 36 hours! ....never seen a ferment finish that fast before. Didn't think it was possible.

32 or 23? lol In 23 litres those fermentables would probably give an OG in the high 1.040s/low 1.050s' date=' if it is actually 32 litres then the OG will be a lot less than that. [/quote']

Haha! 23L Sorry. Fat fingers and typing whilst on the phone is not a good combo...lol

ive done 3 brews so far this year (my first 3)

-Australian Pale Ale

-Larger

-Draught

all using basic cans and brew enhancers (just to get used to brewing)

realised yesterday that once this draught is bottled (early next week) i will have 90 bottles w00t

first was bottled on the 20-1-17 so still a little time away before i give it a try.

Looking at making a summer ale next to work up to a beechworth pale style.

DJB... phwoaaaaar!

No wonder it tastes like an XPA.

Just had a look at DIY Dog 101.pdf and compared it to the description on the BrewDog Prototype website:

Malts: Pale

Hops: Chinook' date=' Amarillo, Mosaic

ABV: 6.5%

IBUs: 65

OG: 1.060

We’ve made India Pale Ales before (one or two), but until now we haven’t brewed a single one using the process which led to Hop Fiction. Not only is HP not dry-hopped, it isn’t kettle-hopped either; we have fired this IPA purely by wort and whirlpool hopping only. A huge, huge amount, as it turned out. The result is an upfront blast of mango, lychee and stone fruit, with a bitter, dry finish. It was a fascinating process to deploy – we think it has resulted in an equally fascinating beer.[/quote']

Interesting that they decided to dry hop in later iterations of this beer. I've never tried it, but now I really want to.

FWIW, I am a big fan of dry hopping and drinking fresh. Late/whirlpool additions are all good, but I just love the hop hit to the nostrils. Appropriate glassware a must.

This is my third batch now and everyone loves it. just need the other half to stop giving it away then I may actually have some myself. Going to hide this batch. Haha

My Session IPA - Making Like a Pirate

One week in about 2 points off my predicted FG. Dry hopped today with 10g Saaz and 15g Cascade. Lifted the temperature setpoint to 22 degrees, hoping this will drop from 1.016 to 1.014 over the next couple of days. Sample tasted pretty good.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Checked my brew when I got home from the gym last night and krausen completely gone.....didn't have time to take a gravity reading but looks as though the Safale S-04 ripped through the brew in a mere 36 hours! ....never seen a ferment finish that fast before. Didn't think it was possible.

SO-4 is a beast, love it. It's clean, doesn't seem to stall, just rips through the sugars.

hey joolbag,

you sound like me in that you like that smack in the face aroma of the XPA etc.

In that case the Hop Fiction is a must do. Keep me posted when you brew it. Keen to see what you think.

The Saison is going down a treat. Will have to another one before the summer is out.

Cheers.

DJB, will do mate.

I have the hops and the ingredients for a hoppy brew. Modelled on a hop hog clone. I posted it long ago, I'll see if I can dredge it up. Should do me well, then I'll do a Zombie Dust clone with Soooooo much Citra. Then it will be time for Hop Fiction!

Edit: this is my hop hog clone post https://club.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/post/180636/

January must be superfastfermentationmonth, because in addition to the few posts around indicatign quick fermentations, it looks like the steam beer I put down just 60 hours ago is basically done. It held a solid 19°C at the fermenter (17-18°C ambient) through the first 36-48 hours, but this morning the fermenter temperature has dropped to 18°C, the krausen has dropped, and the yeast has seemingly starting flocculating out.

I am going to have to drink beer faster than normal just to make sure I have enough empty bottles!

It was in my fermenter up until an hour or so ago. tongue

I finished bottling another brewing of Canadian Eh!L's "Big Island IPA" a little earlier today. I was humming & harring about whether to bottle it or keg it given I have two empty kegs. The beer was brewed to be ready for an extract/kit based case swap challenge (of sorts) started by Dr. Smurto here on a local forum I recently joined here in SA. The swap was originally set down for sometime in February, but got changed to mid April after I began the ferment.

As it turns out, extract brews generally benefit from a little aging so I decided to bottle it now rather than keg this batch & re-brew it later. My reasoning about presenting a beer like this in a case swap is to allow other brewers to primarily taste an oaked beer that may never have tasted one before.

If any of them complain about a lack of aroma, I'll slap them hard! tonguewink

I don't enjoy the process of bottling beer anymore, so am glad that process is over. lol

Cheers,

Lusty.