Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2017

Anyone had this before? The 2 attachments are the same brew one 24 hours after pitching the yeast. the second taken this morning 14 days in FV. Beer is distinctly darker do I have an issue or does this happen? Its my English Cream Ale partial, did not expect this to be so dark.1497053084_68_637.jpg1497053093_99_17.jpg

At this very moment a Helles Lager, 4.4%, and a Session Ale sitting at a very sad 3.2% pinched

The Helles Lager is 2.6 weeks in the FV and is coming off the trub today, I am transferring to a 20 litre plastic jerry can (which actually holds about 22 litres).

The Session Ale is 1.1 weeks in the FV and had been Dry Hopped just now with 15g of Cascade and 10g of Crystal. I have also liffetd the temp to 22 degrees and am hoping the Dry Hop and Temp increase can get me another 2 points lower. I am however resigned to kegging one of my lowest ever %ABV brews, which incidently comes on the back of me best brew ever.

Brewing Firsts, Don't Ya Love 'em

Scottie

Valley Brew

At this very moment a Helles Lager' date=' 4.4%, and a Session Ale sitting at a very sad 3.2% [img']pinched[/img]

What's sad about that? This means you can have a double session each time! happybiggrin

If the flavour & aroma is good Scottie, you won't even care about the ABV%.

The current batch of my Mosaic Amber Ale I put down yesterday is up & fermenting nicely. Currently sitting comfortably @ 20°C.

My other Pale Ale brew using a combination of Fortnight, Mandarina Bavaria, & El Dorado hops is sitting at ambient temperatures just to my right atm. The second batch of dry hopping is in there, & this brew will remain at ambient temperatures until the Amber Ale has reached FG, where I will then switch the two, & start the cold crash of the Pale Ale.

Some enjoyable drinking ahead. happy

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Well the mystery of what ale is what has now been solved. The red ale was in fact wrongly pitched and is now on tap, and the pale ale brewed with the home malted barley is now in the fermenter with 1469 yeast. I did take a sample from the cube dregs to test the SG anyway but yeah, they got mixed up. I'm keeping the temp at 18C for this one to try to keep it as clean as possible.

It's pretty amazing how much the 1272 yeast stripped the influence of the Caraaroma in the red ale, so much so that I was questioning which beer it even was. It's still a nice beer but nothing like it is when fermented with 1469.

I will start labelling cubes now to prevent this happening again, even though Lusty will undoubtedly chime in with some nonsense about deserving it for no-chilling or something tonguelol

Cheers

Kelsey

Well the mystery of what ale is what has now been solved. The red ale was in fact wrongly pitched and is now on tap' date=' and the pale ale brewed with the home malted barley is now in the fermenter with 1469 yeast. I did take a sample from the cube dregs to test the SG anyway but yeah, they got mixed up. I'm keeping the temp at 18C for this one to try to keep it as clean as possible.

It's pretty amazing how much the 1272 yeast stripped the influence of the Caraaroma in the red ale, so much so that I was questioning which beer it even was. It's still a nice beer but nothing like it is when fermented with 1469.

I will start labelling cubes now to prevent this happening again, even though Lusty will undoubtedly chime in with some nonsense about deserving it for no-chilling or something [img']tongue[/img]lol

Cheers

Kelsey

Lol, that's one problem you never have if you a) ferment your cubes as soon as they get down to temp or b) chill your wort quickly and pitch. You seem to have had the problem a few times now!

Most Times they can't be fermented as soon as they cool in my case anyway, but nope this is the first time it's happened in the almost 5 years I've been AG no-chilling. There was a pilsner fermented with the wrong yeast but that was due to the intended batch spilling all over the laundry floor from a cube infection. Other than these two it's always been the right batch done.

Cheers

Kelsey

My Mosaic Amber ale is a week into primary ferment today. I took a gravity reading a short while ago & surprisingly to me it is still about 2-3 points shy of expected FG currently sitting on 1.016 (aiming for 1.013-14).

The brew still has a very thick krausen atop the beer that is quite common with this yeast. The sample tasted very nice & what I've come to expect with this beer. It's currently sitting @ 21°C & I'll take another gravity reading in a couple of days, where hopefully the last few points have been chewed up.

I wish it would hurry up & reach FG, as I have another beer in a FV that is finished & I wish to begin crash chilling in the fridge. pouty

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Off to a great start using Coopers Ale/Lager yeast slurry. High krausen in under 12 hours. Fermenting this one at 19ºC. Poor result from the mash this time though, 3 points below target. Maybe due to the munich and rye malts perhaps? unsure

Gregarious Golden Ale

(Partial Mash @66ºC, pH=5.33)

1 x Coopers OS lager 39.5%

1kg GF American Ale Malt 23.3%

1kg GF Munich Malt 23.3%

600g GF Malted Rye 14%

12g Wakatu (30 mins)

25g Taiheke (30 min sub 80º steep)

Coopers Ale/Lager Yeast

| OG=1.042 | IBU=31.5 | Colour=10.7EBC | ABV=4.1% |

Just putting on this 4L batch of braggot now' date=' as an experiment. It is a recipe of my own design and I have no idea what it will be like. I have never even tasted braggot.

Smokey Braggot

4L

200gm German smoked malt 18%

150gm malted rye 13.5%

75gm Caravienna 7%

75gm Caramunich 7%

3.4L water / wort

600gm honey 54.5%

10gm Mount Hood hops boiled x 30 minutes

2gm bread yeast added to last 5 minutes of boil (=yeast nutrient)

2gm S-04 yeast rehydrated

1gm Fermaid K yeast nutrient added 24 hours post pitch

1gm Fermaid K added 48 hours (Edit: I ended up skipping this addition. It was not necessary.)

OG 1.081 FG 1.008 ABV 9.6%

IBU 19 EBC 18

Making this BIAB style. I had wanted to use Willamette hops but they were out, so had to sub; I chose Mount Hood, which may turn out to be a mistake.

I decided to use strong tasting ingredients and a darker colour as the honey I am using is just cheap, grocery store honey, with a fairly strong flavour. Since the honey is unpasteurized, I may wait 12 hours after pitching to add it, to give the S-04 a head start over any wild yeast.

Cheers,

Christina.[/quote']

Hi all. By observation I think this has finished fermenting. I had a tiny little taste last night. I have never tasted anything like it. The most noticeable ingredient is the smoked malt, but it is not overpowering; it's very pleasant. I can also pick out some spicy notes from the rye. The two malts combined do overpower the honey, but it is faintly noticeable. Lusty is right that the Mt Hood hops provided a very smooth, velvety bitterness; the amount used suits the brew. The body is thin and wine-line. I still have to do a FG reading but it tastes off dry (Edit: FG is 1.006).

Planning to bottle this today. Still trying to decide whether to prime / carbonate or leave it still.

I would totally drink this again; I would make a larger batch even. I am quite pleased with how it turned out.

Cheers,

Christina.

Hi Christina.

Glad to hear this beer has turned out well. happy

...The two malts combined do overpower the honey' date=' but it is faintly noticeable.

Planning to bottle this today. Still trying to decide whether to prime / carbonate or leave it still.[/quote']

Have you given any thought to bulk priming this brew with honey to potentially increase some of your missing honey character?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Just a thought.

Lusty.

Hi all,

Have brew #22, my first lager in the fv at the moment. Thought I'd keep it simple so using the Oktoberfest recipe from how to brew. I'm using the quick lager method and after 4 days found gravity had dropped from 1.033 to 1.012. Is this a big drop in that time? I was led to believe fermentation was quite slow at low temps.

I used 2 packs of rehydrated 34/75 pitched at 20C and dropped quickly to 15C. About 12 hours later dropped it again to 12C. Now sitting at 18C.

Also, that egg smell. That is something else. I'd heard about it but that is the first gravity reading I did where I didn't have a taste. Oh dear!

Cheers.

Hey guys, have the brew i did on Saturday in the fv see the brew day what you got thread. I was hesitant about yeast selection. Going to call this one a black gold irish extra as og was about 1.065. Expecting this one will finish around 1.018 with a sweet upfront flavour. Now to the yeast and this was the gamble. I havested the yeast from my first Fermentasaurus brew which has been in the fridge around 6 weeks. I used a syringe (boiled) to draw off yeast slurry from the top of the collection bottle and injected into the fv. Not many as it turned out as syringe was not quite long enough to just get the yeast. Anyway on Sunday with no sign of activity i lifted the PRV and got small amount of co2 escape so i knew yeast was working, but was a massive underpitch. Rehydrated a safe ale 04 and pitched at 18. 12hr in, high krausen. This is a full pressure ferment no spunding valve, just hoping fv dont explode as rated at 35psi. Thinking it should be good though as its own Prv should lift before.

Cold Crashing my very sessional IPA @3.2% after 2.1 weeks in the FV and 7 days dry hopped. Will sit in the FV until Saturday, when I'll have to do a fridge shuffle and put another brew on.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hey everyone. Currently I have my first SMASH recipe in the fermenter – only took me 18 months of all grain to do a SMASH!

Heckin’ SMASH!

5kg Vienna (Weyermann)

20g Enigma at 10 minutes

40g Enigma at flame out

60g Enigma at dry hop

US-05

BIAB – 25 litres

OG: 1.041

Looking forward to tasting this one, I’ve been wanting to try Enigma for a long time and I even got hops from this year’s crop biggrin

Cheers + beers,

Mark

By the way my pitch was done using the yeast collection bottle. So i rehydrated the yeast in it then just plugged it in and opened the valve. Next plan for this one is harvest the yeast on Saturday then 40g bourbon chip and dry hop using my spare collection bottle and leave for 5 days.

I took a sample from the home malted barley ale today, looks to be sitting around the 1.015 mark after 4 days, so probably a few points to go on that one even though Beersmith predicts a final gravity of 1.0145. It'll be left until next Monday or Tuesday before it's cold crashed anyway so plenty of time to knock it down a bit more.

Having said that, the sample I took has cleared a fair bit and the hydrometer hasn't dropped any really since it was taken, so perhaps it is pretty much done.

Cheers

Kelsey

Hi guys.

I took another gravity sample of my current batch of Mosaic amber ale. I'm convinced FG has been reached at 1.015. A tad higher than I was expecting, but it tastes as great as usual. The usually stubborn krausen has dropped out (for the most part), so I have now taken this out of the brew fridge to clear under ambient conditions where I will also double dry hop the beer over the next week or so.

The second of the current brews I have going atm I just squeezed the juices out of the second dry hop tea bag back into the beer on my Mandarina Bavaria/El Dorado hopped pale ale, & placed this back into my brew fridge to crash chill in readiness for kegging over the weekend. It really smells terrific, & I am most pleased with how the two hops appear to have melded. Quite unique. cool

I hope it tastes as good as it smells.

Good times ahead. happy

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Put down my first Kolsch last night using the Cooper's helga recipe. Very excited to see how it turns out as its the first time I've used a liquid yeast.

I made the mistake of tasting the wort prior to fermentation certainly wont be doing that again blah!

So Arktros, what was it that was "yuk" with your sample wort? I always try my samples. Post-mash, post-boil, first SG sample, second SG sample, FG sample, bottling (usually post-dry hop) sample.

Sure they don't taste like beer until the last couple of samples, but they aren't horrid. Sweet/bitter and unbalanced, but they give me an idea of how brew day went.

Well poured a beer directly from the fermentasaurus. Still fermenting 7 days in so will be ideal to chuck my burboun chips in. Not going to dry hop as hop levels are to taste.pretty impressive as a full pressure ferment.

Naively I assume the wort ferments to beer & absorbs the C02 as part of the pressure ferment. I'm happy to accept criticism on a view where I don't see any real benefit from the process unless you plan to drink the eventually chilled beer from the same vessel, given some level of carbonation.

I am interested in the practice. Yes I'm naive, so fire away.

Cheers,

Lusty.