Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2016

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another IPA today.... just can't help myself at the moment. Too many saisons will do that.

Mate' date=' you are a brewing machine! It seems like every other day I see a new post from you in this thread![/quote']

Yes, indeed he is. rightful

A fact I noticed quite a while back, & one I produced a very detailed schematic visualising Ben10's brewing practices...

Ben10_Fermenting.jpg

That opinion was formed quite a while back, & he still hasn't backed off a bit! tonguelol

Well everyone needs a role model don't they? wink

Good onya Benny! coolsmile

Cheers,

Lusty.

BREW DAY !!! (tomorrow)

Hey everyone, tomorrow I am hoping to brew & cube my fourth all grain beer, this one will be in preparation for ANZAC Day next month and looks like this.

ANZAC ALE

4kg BB Ale

0.5kg BB Wheat

0.25kg Toffee Malt (Gladfield)

0.2kg Redback Malt (Gladfield)

7g each of Ella, Motueka & Nelson Sauvin at 10 minutes

20g each of Ella, Motueka & Nelson Sauvin at whirlpool

33g each of Ella, Mouteka & Nelson Sauvin dry hop

MJ Liberty Bell ale yeast

20 litre batch

All Oz & Kiwi ingredients including the yeast (kinda). The hopping regime was one suggested by Bridge Road Brewers I came across in BYO magazine:

1 gram p/litre at 10 mins

3 gram p/litre at 0 mins

5 gram p/litre at dry hop

I will let you know how it turns out. Have a great long weekend everyone.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

Brewed up my pilsner today, all went well although still didn't quite fill the cube without having to squeeze a fair bit of air out. Different process/boil time though, which probably contributed to that. Will know better of the new cubes when I do a standard ale batch in one.

I also didn't quite have enough hops, the first two additions of 50g were ok but I only had 36g left for the 15 minute addition, so I threw it in a bit earlier to try to maintain the bitterness level. Changing it to what it was (36g at 17 minutes), and updating the predictions to the 24L at 79% efficiency, the IBU only drops down to 42.4, so no real harm done anyway.

Anyway, mash schedule went well, didn't stir as much as I normally would, but went over my predicted pre-boil SG by 3 points (or more to the point, got 89% mash efficiency over the predicted 81%, would have been ~5 points over at the predicted pre-boil volume), and over the OG by 5 points (1.052 over 1.047). Estimating 24 litres instead of 25, so brewhouse efficiency at 79% over 75% that I work off. 25 litres would have had it at 82.3%. Will know the actual volume when it goes in the FV of course.

This was my first time using Acidulated Malt in a grist and I suspect that this might have something to do with the increased efficiency, given it's the only thing that is different. I'll do some experimenting with the Acid malt in other beers I brew (apart from stouts/porters) to see if this increase is consistent. My guess is that it has dropped the mash pH down to the ideal range which has resulted in an increased extraction during the mash. Pretty sweet contribution from only 100g of grain if that is the reason for it.

Cheers

Kelsey

Beeblebrox:

I put down a basic K&K as a base for my Blushing Blonde, first batch using the brew fridge, & essentially a thank you brew for SWMBO for letting me get the fridge setup.

Beebs - I like to apply the theory that forgiveness is always easier to get than permission.biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Interested in what berries you are chucking in with your Canadian Blonde. I'd like to do a blueberry on Coopers Aust pale ale.

ESB time again love

4kg Maris Otter

650g Munich I

200g Special B

150g Caraaroma

50g Chocolate malt

15g Target @ 60 minutes

10g Challenger @ 10 minutes

20g Challenger @ 0 minutes

15g Target @ 0 minutes

15g Styrian Goldings @ 0 minutes

MJ's British Ale yeast

23 litres

OG - 1052

IBU - 40 (no chill adj)

I really like this grain bill for an ESB. It is similar to my last one except I increased the Special B from 150g to 200g.

I like it Hairy

I'm bored with my latest EB, didn't hit the mark despite sticking to my tried and true grain bill and hop schedule. the hop character was gone far too early, Fuggles as well, so next time I might go for an extra addition as per your recipe.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

In the meantime my brewing journey sees me on the other side of the Atlantic.

Red Back Pale Ale

10.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins)

5.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins)

2.25 kg Ale Malt

1.25 kg Munich Malt

0.50 kg RedBack Malt

0.15 kg Acid Malt

0.08 kg Black (Patent) Malt

60 minute mash at 66 degrees in 11 litres with two step batch sparge

20.00 g Northern Brewer - Boil 60.0

15.00 g Chinook - Boil 15.0 min

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)

20.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) - Boil 10.0 min

20.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) - Boil 5.0 min

20 litres of wort fast chilled to 20 degrees

American West Coast (Lallemand #BRY-97) rehydrated

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valey Brew

First time iv'e tried brewing on a yeast cake

bottled a TC bookmaker so threw a Smurto - esque golden ale in on top

18 hours later the air lock is going nuts , SG has already dropped 18 points so could be my fastest ever ferment

was 2 sachets of the coopers yeast in last brew and they're still happy by the look of it

ESB time again love

4kg Maris Otter

650g Munich I

200g Special B

150g Caraaroma

50g Chocolate malt

15g Target @ 60 minutes

15g Target @ 0 minutes

MJ's British Ale yeast

23 litres

OG - 1052

IBU - 40 (no chill adj)

I really like this grain bill for an ESB. It is similar to my last one except I increased the Special B from 150g to 200g.

What does special B bring to the brew, Hairy? I've never used it before.

Brew Day!! Yesterday

Recipe: London PA

Brewer:

Asst Brewer:

Style: Special/Best/Premium Bitter

TYPE: All Grain

Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 49.93 l

Post Boil Volume: 43.68 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 40.00 l

Bottling Volume: 38.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.044 SG

Estimated Color: 8.4 SRM

Estimated IBU: 27.5 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 89.3 %

Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name %/IBU

4.60 g Salt (Mash 60.0 mins)

2.40 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins)

2.20 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins)

5.37 kg ESB Pale Malt (Gambrinus) (4.0 SRM) 80.6 %

0.32 kg Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 4.8 %

0.32 kg Caramalt Malt - 35L (Bairds) (35.0 SRM) 4.8 %

0.32 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) 4.8 %

0.32 kg Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) 4.8 %

40.00 g Willamette [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min 12.2 IBUs

10.00 g Magnum [12.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min 8.5 IBUs

1 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 11 -

30.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 4.5 IBUs

30.00 g Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 2.2 IBUs

1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) 35.49 Yeast 14 -

1.0 pkg London Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1028) 12 Yeast 15 -

2.11 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 16 -

First time using Wyeast 1028. I can't usually get Wyeast through my supplier, but I was in the big city on vacation so I picked some up.

EDIT: I brewed this one with a London water profile

Ca:55.9 Mg:22.4 Na: 55.4 SO4 :75.4 Cl 87.6 HCO3: 191smile

ESB time again love

4kg Maris Otter

650g Munich I

200g Special B

150g Caraaroma

50g Chocolate malt

15g Target @ 60 minutes

15g Target @ 0 minutes

MJ's British Ale yeast

23 litres

OG - 1052

IBU - 40 (no chill adj)

What does special B bring to the brew' date=' Hairy? I've never used it before.[/quote']

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'd be expecting something SPECIAL! rolleyes

Chad is pretty much out in the wilderness, so I'll cut him some slack on this one! tonguebiggrin

Maybe it's like Special K, but with a twist?! tonguelol

Dingemans Special B

I hope you are well Chad. smile

Lusty.

Special B isn't traditionally used in ESBs but I liked the slight raisiny taste I got from it.

I used to drink Wells Bombardier English Premium ale. I thought it had a nice raisiny flavour. Maybe I'll give Spec. B a go. cool

I'm really keen on English ales these days. I've got lot of different English yeast strains (Wlp023, wlp002. wlp017 and Wyeast1028) and a fair whack of malt and hops for brewing English ales.

BTW Hairy, What was your water profile for your latest ESB?

My water is fairly good for brewing so I don't make a lot of adjustments. For hoppy pales ales I add 3g Calcium Chloride and 5g Calcium Sulfate. For my English beers I switch them around to increase the Calcium Chloride.

For dark/black beers I add some Calcium Carbonate.

I can't recall the exact final numbers and profile (which is what you will find useful). If I do a significantly different grain bill (i.e. larger or smaller quantity of grains) then I run the numbers again to ensure pH is in the right range etc. But for my standard beers I just run with the above.

Not very scientific but it works; well it has no detrimental effects biggrin

My water is fairly good for brewing so I don't make a lot of adjustments. For hoppy pales ales I add 3g Calcium Chloride and 5g Calcium Sulfate. For my English beers I switch them around to increase the Calcium Chloride.

For dark/black beers I add some Calcium Carbonate.

I can't recall the exact final numbers and profile (which is what you will find useful). If I do a significantly different grain bill (i.e. larger or smaller quantity of grains) then I run the numbers again to ensure pH is in the right range etc. But for my standard beers I just run with the above.

Not very scientific but it works; well it has no detrimental effects biggrin

Interesting. I spend a fair bit of time and thought on my H2O. I try to direct my profile towards a particular style or colour. I sometimes start with 100% RO and built the profile from there. This is usually done with lighter coloured beers. On the other hand I use 100% Golden tap water' date=' but I usually still make addition to balance the pH or to go for a specific profile. This is done when I'm brewing darker beers or I am looking for a more minerally profile (ie Dortmunder London, or Burton, etc. profiles).

Beersmith software helps simplify this. I think as a AG brewer one should spend a bit of time and effort tweeking the water profile. It plays an equal roll in the brew as does malt, hops and yeast.

That's just where I'm at with my brewing. [img']smile[/img]

I spent a bit of time getting the numbers I wanted at first and most of my grain bills are similar. Given I haven't tested my tap water and rely on the general Water Board report, it is a bit of a ball park figure anyway. I didn't see the point in being too pedantic about it and just made slight adjustments when needed.

If brewing a beer that deviates significantly from my standard beer then I re-calculate the additions. So there is some strategy and analysis there; I just don't bother to re-calculate the numbers for every beer.

If I was trying to mimic a particular water profile for a region then I would spend more time on it. I am not a fan of minerally beers and the Dortmunder style is towards the bottom of my favourite German beers. I drink DAB in German places as a last resort.

Okay. I'm with ya'. I just like taking this brewing thing to the next level.alien I don't have "easy" water straight out of the tap so I am more apt then you to play around with it.

I do like a minerally beer. Dortmunder is the only style lager I brew. It's a lager with flavour I think.innocent

I went into more depth with the water I use for my Bo pilsners, and I'll keep doing it; I did an experiment brewing one of them with just normal tap water and it wasn't as nice. For other styles though, I generally just throw a bit of this or that in, depending if I want the malt or hops to shine more.

I used acid malt for the first time on my last brew day and my brewhouse efficiency jumped by 4%. It would have jumped by 7.3% if I'd ended up with my intended batch volume but I missed it by a litre. I also used the "normal" Bohemian pilsner malt instead of the floor malted one, so not sure which change caused that jump, but I'm gonna experiment with the acid malt on some other pale styles and see if this increase is consistent.

Yeah Otto,

I have a bag of acid malt that I have tried out before, but not with confidence. I prefer to adjust my my pH with minerals because that is what i have become comfortable using. I do need to use the rest of the bag of acid malt, though. Maybe I'll look in to it more.

pH is one thing I haven't really bothered with as yet, mainly because the beers are turning out perfectly fine, and I'm not exactly getting crappy efficiency either, usually around 75% which I'm fine with. I may well look into it if I begin running into issues at some point though. Or if I get a bit bored and need something else to research and learn about. lol

Archived